It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Query?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Do you think it possible to combine science, religion, spirituality, philosophy, atheism, into one truth?

What do you think and why.

edit on 13-6-2012 by TRGreer because: Typo

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TRGreer

Sure, because the truth is the truth. Our ability to fantasize/discover/comprehend it are other things entirely...
edit on 6/13/2012 by AkumaStreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TRGreer

I firmly believe that there is exactly one Truth: That is to say that I believe that there is exactly one course of events (counting from the beginning of this universe to now) that has actually happened.

I will be using the following definitions to frame my thoughts.

Religion: The practice of beliefs as pertain to one's understanding of a God, gods, or paranormal powers which we do not as yet completely understand.

Spirituality: Those who study Spirituality are interested in finding out the true nature of the soul/our essence (maybe), and are interested in our role in existence (definitely)

Atheism: The concept that there is/are no God/gods.

Philosophy: The study of what actually is, typically framed using thought experiments and logic (itself a thought experiment).

Science: The study of what actually is, typically framed relating things to the physical, rather than the metaphysical.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Those five things are not in the same category. One is a concept (atheism), and four are paired so nearly as to almost be two flavors of the same thing (Science/Philosophy)(Spirituality/Religion)

Because all of them exist in some form or another, yes, they all factor into what must be one universal Truth (the events that have actually taken place up until now).

However, with that said, because many tenants of each of them conflict directly with other tenants of others of them, I find it very hard to believe that there is anything to be gained by using all of them in tandem. Rather, I believe that the most beneficial path would be to realize that all five of those categories are merely frames of reference -- windows through which we may view the universe and our existence. If we start seeing them as windows into understanding rather than... well, anything else... I think we'd be a lot closer to finding the parts of this Universal Truth that most interest us.

Cheers!

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I don't think you can realistically include religion with science.

Religion was created to explain things that were unexplainable, why we are here, what is our purpose, why do we die, what is the sun, where does it all come from. It removed the onus on having to produce factual evidence to answer questions.

Why are we here? Because God creates us.
Why do we die? Because God wants to be with him in heaven.
What is our purpose? To worship God.
etc etc

Science is seeking answers in the physical world that can be backed up with factual evidence. We understand the magic of life now more so than ancient man, and we can see life created in the womb. We can see the energy of life fade into nothingness when we die. We find purpose in our lives, and not by submitting to an ancient archaic omnipotent being that smites us down to hell if we sin.

God, as it is today, is a corruption of the minds of mankind. It seeks power over those willing to give freely, and teaches them that they are doing good by submitting to a man who represents God.

Power, Greed, Corruption... the many faces of the many churches.

I don't have anything against normal everyday christians or catholics or muslims or what have you. But the religions they follow are strict in their belief, and easily corrupted by greed and power.

Science, at least to me, is seeking truth and not accepting belief entirely without valid reason. We cannot know for sure the mechanics of quantum physics, and to a large extent it is suggested. Theory.

Theory isn't belief. You can disprove a theory. You cannot disprove a belief. You can prove a theory. You cannot prove a belief.

They are diametrically opposed, in my opinion, despite the new age thinking of intelligent design and the big bang having been tied together, and not mutually exclusive. It's just bending the truth to allow belief to continue unhindered by those seeking power or who feel lacking in themselves that they must find solace in having a reason to be here; god.

Remember, sinners go to hell. Scientists go to the lab.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
"Our ability to fantasize/discover/comprehend it are other things entirely..."

What limits our ability to fantasize/discover/comprehend?

"However, with that said, because many tenants of each of them conflict directly with other tenants of others of them, I find it very hard to believe that there is anything to be gained by using all of them in tandem. However, with that said, because many tenants of each of them conflict directly with other tenants of others of them, I find it very hard to believe that there is anything to be gained by using all of them in tandem. Rather, I believe that the most beneficial path would be to realize that all five of those categories are merely frames of reference"

If they are all windows looking onto the same river just at different points its still the same river just a different perspective?

"They are diametrically opposed, in my opinion, despite the new age thinking of intelligent design and the big bang having been tied together, and not mutually exclusive."

Would it not be beneficial to find the tenants they all share? The common ground so to speak?

Thanks so much for your perspectives. Through the many we can see the one. I am sending positivity out to ya!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRGreer

If they are all windows looking onto the same river just at different points its still the same river just a different perspective?

As far as I can fathom, yes.

Thanks for providing food for thought.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Epsilon5

"Thanks for providing food for thought."

I did nothing. We did it! I was hoping a few more people might jump in. Its okay. If you have some thoughts to the other questions I posted please free to lay em out there. Even though I personalized them they are open to any and all debate.
Sending out a positive vibe!

top topics

join