It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why America IS better than the UK

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Been to the Cadbury factory and I find your chocolate Nasty!!!

Hershey's is much better! I cant believe you guys use chocolate as an example.... lol

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

Let me say
We do live on an 'island!' it would be churlish to even think otherwise.

And WHY would that be a disadvantage?

There is nothing funny in the american 'slapstick' sense of humour that could interest

any one over the age of junior school, personally i can't bear watching it. On the other

hand one has to to be sharp and witty to enjoy the british sense of humour!:

No true chain stores here?
...We have your 'Wallmart' in Asda 321 stores on this

'small' island

Yes our roads are small....but then we are a 'small' island (Quaint is the word!)so it is

not feasible to have 6 lane motorways crossing all over it!! And if we drive some where

and there isn't a parking lot and we stop the car where are we supposed to leave it?

except on the road...

As for 'adoring' you............women love the man not his 'nationality'

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AtcGod

Chicken Tikka and many curry dishes are actually British. They were created in Britain to cater for the British taste and need for some kind of gravy like substance on our meat. Most foods around the world have come from some place or another. Remember your the immigrants to America.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AtcGod
reply to post by Flavian

I am just going to use a very small example here.

Grape Soda, Grape Jelly, Mountain Dew, Boxed Cereal and Cake Mix, your Brits go Nuts for!

I watched a friend of mine take a Brit a trunk full of Frosted Mini Wheats, Grape Soda and Grape Jelly, and the guy literally was almost crying from excitement! He said that his entire family was in my friends debt forever...lol.

Im sure most Americans reading this will be very surprised as these are such common things in grocery stores in the US.

I must say you are bonkers if you think Your food is better.....You cant claim Curry as a national dish buddy...

Boxed cerial...BOXED FRIGGIN CERIAL?
Your mate must be pulling your plonker sunshine. They sell Mountain Dew in Sainsbury's, a few isles down from the cake mix, jam and frosted shredded wheat. You numpty.
Admittedly I did have to order some lucky charms and twinkies for my boy at Christmas, but by the power invested in me by the wonders of the internet I managed that without breaking into sobs of delight or promising my soul to the devil.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

reply to post by Flavian

Been to the Cadbury factory and I find your chocolate Nasty!!!

Hershey's is much better! I cant believe you guys use chocolate as an example.... lol

How very dare you, sir? Hersheys...............absolutely friggin bland. European chocolate has far more taste and flavour, therefore it is nicer.

Hmmmmm, me feels a "chocolate off" coming on.......

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   

reply to post by Flavian

You cant claim Curry as a national dish buddy...

i disagree. our country was built on chiken tikka vindaloo, keema fried rice, onion bahji and a special kebab.

edit on 13/6/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   

and the guy literally was almost crying from excitement! He said that his entire family was in my friends debt forever...lol.

that might have been the dry wit and sarcasm you mentioned earlier.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
For the sake of repeating myself, Beer. Actually, as it is more important than that.......BEER.

Yours is tasteless and weak. Sorry but it is true. And as for those tiny little cans you sell it in.......how are you supposed to get drunk on those?

I will admit though, good as our beer is, some of our Euro neighbours are better. I would add Aussie but some of theirs is as bad as some of yours - although the good stuff really is good.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Hmmmm interesting debate, I am a Britt and have lived here for 22 yrs and there are a lot of issues that need work in America as do In England, I think there will always be the argument that one is better than the other, this is our nature, we are both very proud nations however I would like to point out one thing back during the revolutionary war, None of us by the way where there, I think, if I am not mistaken, YOU, the Americans did not call yourselves that untill after, there fore it was the Britts fighting the Britts, much like a weekend pub brawl, and then you became Americans, just saying..........I love America and will stay here for the rest of my life and actually for the most part the English love Americans, and from the people I know, at least the educated ones, the Americans love the Britts, so next time you decide to dish on us Britts take a good look in the mirror......

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   
According to all the surveys, Bhutan is by far the happiest place on the planet.

Maybe we should start a new thread, why Bhutan is better than everywhere........
edit on 13-6-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

"pretending to support our awesome wars" hahahahahaha

I for one am grateful to the Americans. After they defeated my red coat ancestors they were even kind enough to let us speak their American language.

"those thieving Injinaans!"
edit on 13-6-2012 by TheUnusualSuspect because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by eletheia
reply to post by AtcGod

Yes our roads are small....but then we are a 'small' island (Quaint is the word!)so it is

I think you'll find the up and coming word for small nowadays is "bijous"

As for chocolate, I much prefer Swiss

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by Flavian

I love loads of things about the US but the food is absolute tripe.

You do get a lot of it though. Breakfasts in America are like a heart attack on a plate and the portion sizes they serve in restaurants make British portions look like an Hors d'oeuvre. It's great for a holiday, but not something you'd want every day.

We're not supposed to eat huge portions anyway - a persons stomach is only the size of their fist, so really we shouldn't ever eat more in volume than that, when we do we stretch it, which is what causes hunger pangs as the stomach begins to shrink back, those of us from developed countries probably wouldn't know what a "real" hunger pang was.

I love my country, it is a very beautiful place to live - especially the countryside, I wouldn't live anywhere else. But I do not dislike other countries, or the people from them - what we forget it that the whole world belongs to all of humankind, and if I'm not mistaken, once upon a time - wasn't every country joined?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyree

QUAINT ...charmingly odd in an old fashioned way amiable agreeable neat

BIJOU ...something small dainty usually ornamental elegant and tasteful

Take your pick i still go for 'QUAINT'

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Facepalms...... just thought of a reason why the UK is better the the USA - the name! We are GREAT Britain, you are simply United States. Says it all.........

And, clearly, business names. In the US, in my experience, these are generally very proper and sensible. In the UK, however, the pun is king (not always a good thing). For example, in Bradford i used to have a local pub called the Idle Cock! Now that is pure genius, whatever way you look at it!
edit on 13-6-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Guess thats what I get for posting in this time zone.... Too bad my original reply to this thread will probably be buried by the time my countrymen wake....

U Brits....../sigh...

And the guy my friend took the stuff to....He actually asked him for those specific items....

Good entertainment this though..... I am having a good laugh.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

I've had Cadburry's version of Gummy Lifesavers. I was not expecting something that tasted a good bit like soured wine and sugar. But: to each their own, when it comes to food. I live in a part of the country where the meal is so good, who cares about dessert?

reply to post by Flavian

1. We have 22 oz cans. Just most people don't buy it like that.
2. Man you only buy from Microbreweries or go with Sam Addams--they actually win awards in Germany, lol.

reply to post by FluffyCannibal

Save themselves? We were saving ourselves by staying out of it, for both wars. We were still a country, then, that other than some back door dealing done by politicians, stayed the heck out of other's business. I wish we'd go back to at least that. Besides, any time Russia got involved, we didn't need to be there. Something about attacking them during the winter screams "needs less men to fight in it".

reply to post by AsuspiciousMANappears

lol, why does the IRA exist--and who said all the IRA's bombs are from them?

Originally posted by nostromo85
The Statue of Liberty was made by the French, Metallica has a Danish drummer and a Mexican bassist, half of Hollywood is British and the Hamburger was invented by German immigrants.
Um, how many of these people stayed in their country to do all of this?

reply to post by Flavian

Considering everywhere but Cajun Country and those trained in Cajun Country ways butcher: lobster (should be seasoned like a Crawfish), beans (Sweet?!?, Not fully cooked?!?, served with more rice than beans?!?, without the holy trinity?!? How many ways can you mess this up?!?), Gumbo, Jambalaya, Drity Rice, Stuffed Bell Peppers, Turduken, Andouille Sausage, Boudin, ANY seasonings, Creole, etouffee, and so many more things? Heck, I cook dishes from outside this area (including some Brittish dishes), and I have to doctor darn near every single one of them. People plain can't cook, and I dread eating anything but rare meats outside of this area. Man, all I have to do is cross a state border, and I miss my coffee already.
Mais Ame, I rarely cook from scratch, but when I do, I do it fully knowing that I'mg getting a better product than in most of the world. And I state this while believing that if I couldn't live here, for food, India would be next. Just not eating gold foil.

Originally posted by Freeborn
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

IRA, anyone?

What, murdering terrorist scum bags and slaughterers of innocents?
yes, I meant them, and yes, they are scumbags. That was not the point.

Guess the war on terrorism only applies when the terrorism is on you guys in America.
Nah, I saw it as terrorism.

And those Irish CHOOSE to live in the UK and to be a part of the UK.
Hold it, you think that the natives DON'T? Only a small portion of them actually live on the Reservations. Many of them live among us--and are so interbred that they have to do DNA tracking to decide who is N.A. the only difference I've seen is that much of the outright aggression has been literally beat out of them, leaving them to not be branded as terrorists. But, that doesn't mean that they don't magically do horrible things to "white aggressors" no more--there's monsters in every group.

And Scotland is no more conquered than Texas is......Scotland chose to enter into a Union with England when King James VI became King Of England.
Actually, I don't equate Scotland to being like Native Americans, I tend to see them more like the US black population. Not because of race, mind you but because of coming across a rant from a Scottish dude that was upset because he was called "white". And we get Scottish welders down here, and those ones are still upset about being "subjugated by England"--came up in conversations a lot...along with the f bomb every 3rd word. But as far as Texas goes, have you been there? Texas has many levels of people who see Texas as subjected to the US in a bunch of different ways. Haven't you heard a Texan mutter about having the right to succeed?

Scotland will get a chance to express their democratic right on the Independance issue very shortly.
From what I've seen, it could go either way. I hope they do what's best for them, and it may be to stick with England.

Don't worry so much about it. I'm not that serious.
edit on 13-6-2012 by CynicalDrivel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CynicalDrivel

Haha love it. However, as Cajun, you are more European than anything so you don't count!

(winning this one by dismissing your argument and claiming you as "ours")

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Well you are welcome!! Because without us, you would be typing/speaking German right now..

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

You didn't see the Cajun's reaction to Freedom Fries? Some locals were ready to string up some frogs. I on the other hand, kept muttering "It's French Cut! Like Julienne cut Greenbeans!"

You got to remember, we're the French's kicked out bastards that they wouldn't accept back, whom the English took land from. Cajun country blames France more, mind you.
The only people that loved us enough to save us was the Indians we learned from, down here. Houmas Indians are still fighting to be recognized as far more than interbred with the Cajun population.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join