It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study: children fare better in traditional mom-dad families

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
Well they need to release the study itself so we can see what they mean by their findings. What they determine 'doing well" to mean. I don't want to hear about it, I want to read it in detail.
edit on 11-6-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

Usually when they refer to "doing well" they are talking about having healthy relationships, jobs, social ability, etc.

Also, they observe if the children themselves grow up to be homosexual, or have any sexual issues.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Yes but other studies have already shown that they do well. I am not going to trust their versions until I read this, for doing well to me is not just working for the man, or being quick to marry yourself off and go in debt. Usually children raised in alternative households, if they're not in an abusive household and if the household is comfortable financially so the child is able to choose for themselves what to strive for when they grow up, they many have some alternative views on what success is as well. I wouldn't consider an out of work or part time work, artist, writer, musician, poet, philosopher to be unsuccessful, for example.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by bokonon2010

The thing is satastics can be made up or exaggerated so i would not put much stock into it there are plenty of kids who have grown up in single parent homes or homes with two parents of the same gender who have grown up to be perfectly normal

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
That is another thread...not this one. And someone posting about a study that points to the natural order (in which without scientific discovery, would be a side note; wouldn't you agree) of a typical family.

I mentioned the other thread to highlight the Anti-gay agenda that is currently blighting ATS boards.

But as already pointed out by two single parents and kids growing up fine, it isn't all inclusive. I honestly stand by my stance that if a child grows up in a family (two parents; be it two dads, two moms, or the traditional) they would fair much better because the support is doubled. Parents don't have to exhibit all aspects of the emotional and disciplinary structure in those situations. They have help.

Well i cant disagree with your train of thought there - Kids should have two stable parents to bring them up.

If you want to see this as "bashing" it is obvious that I cannot tell you otherwise because that is how you feel. But I am not seeing how it is.

The poster of this thread is also the owner of the other thread i mentioned about the Scouts. Cant help but feel he/she is on some sort of crusade against gay people - Though i wont be taking any of their threads seriously until i hear a 4 year old tell me that being gay is wrong.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Please stay on topic.

Study: children fare better in traditional mom-dad families

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
btw this stuff is on topic stop deleting.

reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Im not religious ..I am spiritual. I was mearly using that as a reference because , oh i donno a P+V = babies.

I believe you can make people gay. I have a transgender member in my family who was married for 25 years .. 2 kids .. and one day they decided to switch hit.

I dont believe its programmed into our heads because like i said before a P+V=babies.. Its the circle of our lives.

Again, im not against gays, but with all the gay we see in our lives .. it just seems odd. Its un-natural.

A husband and mother can teach the cycle of life better than a gay couple in my eyes

edit on 11-6-2012 by LeoStarchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I'd like to know if the study took into account that the majority of same-sex couples with children adopted them.

Adopted children are already more likely to have experienced abuse beforehand or have other problems. I'd also like to see this same study performed but only with same-sex couples who have had biological children with surrogate mothers or in-vitro fertilization.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeoStarchild

Im not religious ..I am spiritual. I was mearly using that as a reference because , oh i donno a P+V = babies.

Spiritual people dont quote references from the bible - unless there the christian kind of spiritual.

I believe you can make people gay. I have a transgender member in my family who was married for 25 years .. 2 kids .. and one day they decided to switch hit.

And that's your scientific evidence? Wow, Impressed.

I dont believe its programmed into our heads because like i said before a P+V=babies.. Its the circle of our lives.

So you dont believe people are "born gay" so to speak?

Again, im not against gays, but with all the gay we see in our lives .. it just seems odd. Its un-natural.

Homosexuality occurs naturally, but fear not, no one's forcing you to shack up with the same gender or denounce heterosexuality. If they were, then i'd say "Omg, there's a gay agenda!!!"

A husband and mother can teach the cycle of life better than a gay couple in my eyes

And what is your reasoning behind that? Are you insinuating that gay people are thick?

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Homosexuality is an abnormality, in the most basic sense of the word.

I understand that you feel put out. I understand that you are frustrated. I understand that many of you feel that you were born homosexual, and probably feel like a victim of an unjust burden that was given to you from the get-go.

The desire to have children is natural. Normal.

To have a child is a gift and a blessing.

To love a child is to put the needs and well being of that child above your own. Therefore - to adopt a child, or to "force" yourself into having sex with someone just to have a child, while knowing you are homosexual, is selfish.

You are not placing that child above your own desire. You are not placing that childs well being above your own. You are forcing that child into a lifestyle that goes in opposition to the standard normal - thus forcing the child into a life that is CERTAIN to have more hardships. This to me is the opposite of love. This is the very core of selfish behavior and attitude.
edit on 11-6-2012 by MentorsRiddle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
Homosexuality is an abnormality, in the most basic sence of the word.

I understand that you feel put out. I understand that you are frustrated. I understand that many of you feel that you were born homosexual, and probably feel like a victim of an unjust burden that was given to you from the get-go.

I dont feel "put-out" at all, i'm not bothered by my sexual orientation but people like to make a big deal about how "Wrong" and "unnatural" it is. Let it be, its not like im raping people.

The desire to have children is natural. Normal.

For you maybe, for me, not so much. I have no desire to have children at this moment in time, nor have i included it in my future plans.

To have a child is a gift and a blessing.
To love a child is to put the needs and well being of that child above your own. Therefore - to adopt a child, or to "force" yourself into having sex with someone just to have a child, while knowing you are homosexual, is selfish.
You are not placing that child above your own desire. You are not placing that childs well being above your own. You are forcing that child into a lifestyle that goes in opposition to the standard normal - thus forcing the child into a life that is CERTAIN to have more hardships. This to me is the opposite of love. This is the very core of selfish behaviour and attitude.

Im not sure im hearing you right, are you saying its selfish to adopt a child because your homosexual and cannot adhere to the needs of that child? How do you people get away with being so bloody ignorant? Your comment is down right offensive and you should be ashamed of yourself. Really. More than likely that child is in care because its parents (coincidently both a man and a woman) couldn't do right by them, what they need is some love, a home, a place to develop their own identity and values away from the influence of society norms. Its no secret that heterosexuals can provide such an environment but its not rocket science to establish that homosexual couples can provide the same thing.

Its utter nonsense to suggest that "hetero's do it better" Yeah, so well that their kids end up in care in the first place.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Btw, can we stop the gay bashing threads? You'd one a day would keep you sane!

Maybe I missed the bashing call...I am not seeing it. It is a study in the effects of a child in a traditional home....how is that bashing?!
edit on 11-6-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

Another thread on here about boy scouts not allowing gay's into their club - basicly a thread about keeping gay's in their place. And now this? someone posting a study that suggests "what we knew all along" that children grow up better in traditional nuclear families with a mommy and a daddy. Cmon now, I think there's a conspiracy to lock homosexuals back in the closet on ATS

Bashers are out in force recently!

So, according to your view, truth must be viewed as gay bashing?

Perhaps men are getting fed up with seeing themselves portrayed as buffoons on television, or perhaps moms are getting fed up with seeing no healthy families portrayed on the tv show that their kids watch? I have an 8 year old, and I'll describe the kids shows that are most popular; shows in which it's rich kids with no parents, rich kids on a school cruise with no parents, and if there is a show with families, the dad is portrayed as a laughing stock whilst the kids disrespect and talk back their parents...or how about teenagers playing around with seances and magic? I've had to limit tv and sit down and explain to him why they are doing this in terms that he can understand - monkey-see, monkey-do. The media has rotted the morals of this nation, and continually undermines the healthy strong traditional family. Kids today are ingesting this false version of reality whereby no love is placed on the family, and are especially seeing no strong love of a father figure. Identities are being purposely confused and socially engineered to reject family. This isn't about gay bashing, but rather affirming the importance of the family unit for 98% of the population. It's about, even in divorce, two parents can still work together for the sake of their children. You will not understand this, but God is Our Father - now try figuring out why Godless television producers portray fathers as either dysfunctional, absent or the laughing stock.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
If observing that you are choosing to put a child into certain social stigma and torment as being ignorant, when this is an obvious fact, then I guess I am ignorant.

However, I view you as being blind and selfish by thinking it is ok to do this to a child.

I am a well-educated person, and have no problem with someone wanting to be homosexual - but when you try and drag children into the mix I draw the line. That is not ok. That is not fine. That is not correct in any way.

So go ahead, and try and call me ignorant, when I have been very courteous - because that is just a ploy to try and turn the tables and make me the ignorant one, when in reality, you are the willfully ignorant to deny a simple truth that this will bring more hardships on a child.

I never said you couldn't adhere to their needs - do not put words into my mouth to try and further your agenda. That is not what I said. Do not try and change what I said.

That makes you worse than ignorant....

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhoKnows100
So, according to your view, truth must be viewed as gay bashing?

Truth is truth, and if proven to me as 100% i wont argue, however, 2 threads in the space of 7hrs by the same poster about the gay community specificly? Someone's got a vendetta i believe.

Perhaps men are getting fed up with seeing themselves portrayed as buffoons on television, or perhaps moms are getting fed up with seeing no healthy families portrayed on the tv show that their kids watch? I have an 8 year old, and I'll describe the kids shows that are most popular; shows in which it's rich kids with no parents, rich kids on a school cruise with no parents, and if there is a show with families, the dad is portrayed as a laughing stock whilst the kids disrespect and talk back their parents...or how about teenagers playing around with seances and magic? I've had to limit tv and sit down and explain to him why they are doing this in terms that he can understand - monkey-see, monkey-do.

I blame the disney channel. Nothing to do with queer folk.

The media has rotted the morals of this nation, and continually undermines the healthy strong traditional family. Kids today are ingesting this false version of reality whereby no love is placed on the family, and are especially seeing no strong love of a father figure. Identities are being purposely confused and socially engineered to reject family.

The media plays a huge part on the socialization of young people but no matter how you twist it, the family will always be first and biggest influence on a child. No ones forcing your child to watch these programmes that promote bad values, no ones stopping you from instilling good values into your child. Yeah it sucks that you have to work harder but parenting has never been easy.
Im not sure how someone's identity can be confused? Normally the "confused" reach some sort of conclusion over time and then incorporate that conclusion into their identity therefore no longer being confused but sure?

This isn't about gay bashing, but rather affirming the importance of the family unit for 98% of the population.

No one is denying the importance of family, but rather people are stating with great ignorance that Homosexuals are less capable than heterosexuals, That's were the bashing starts to come in, but clearly, if Heterosexuals were all that, there wouldn't be as many children in care as there already is.

It's about, even in divorce, two parents can still work together for the sake of their children.

And a homosexual couple is incapable of working together to support a child? I forget how how a child needs penis and a vagina in its life, makes a huge difference eh?

You will not understand this, but God is Our Father

Definitely not a woman then? You're 100% on that yeah?

now try figuring out why Godless television producers portray fathers as either dysfunctional, absent or the laughing stock.

Because people like yourself aren't challenging it. Sure your on the internet but your raising awareness to the wrong people. Just like the men's activists on this site to - They make all these threads about how men have no rights but they dont petition actual law or government, they're not pushing for change in the right places so how do they ever expect to achieve anything?? Their rants are wasted web space.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by MentorsRiddle
If observing that you are choosing to put a child into certain social stigma and torment as being ignorant, when this is an obvious fact, then I guess I am ignorant.

By your logic, prostitutes, drug abusers, people who are in and out of prison all the time are also selfish for reproducing and letting there children inherit their social stigma. Glad we cleared that up.

However, I view you as being blind and selfish by thinking it is ok to do this to a child.

I'd be offended if my argument made less sense than yours, but it doesn't.

I am a well-educated person, and have no problem with someone wanting to be homosexual - but when you try and drag children into the mix I draw the line. That is not ok. That is not fine. That is not correct in any way.

To state that someone would WANT to be homosexual probably sums up your stance. No one would willingly submit themselves to the stigma you know so well. if its not okay with you for homosexuals to adopt children then maybe you should call there parents into line and give them a boot up the arse, But you dont, you would rather see these kids ROT in institutions incapable of replicating loving homes in which a person can grow up healthy. That's sick.

So go ahead, and try and call me ignorant, when I have been very courteous - because that is just a ploy to try and turn the tables and make me the ignorant one, when in reality, you are the willfully ignorant to deny a simple truth that this will bring more hardships on a child.

Your ignorant because you would rather see a child grow up in care without sufficient love in its life to develop as a wonderful human being. Your ignorant because you believe a homosexual couple could not give this child the love it needs because of the social stigma (created by ignorants like yourself) would give them "hardship" - Yeah, because growing up in care isnt hard in itself. Pick the lesser of two evils i say.

I never said you couldn't adhere to their needs - do not put words into my mouth to try and further your agenda. That is not what I said. Do not try and change what I said.

My only agenda is to eradicate your kind of ignorance. I dont want to turn your sexuality, i dont want to decide a child's sexuality for them (not that i could) but i do want to live in a world where this type of ignorance has been put to bed.

That makes you worse than ignorant....

Yeah i guess it does.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
My kids grew up just fine with two dads.

Actually they faired quite a bit better than most kids in our neighboorhood. No drugs, high scores in school, very social, critical thinking.

It's all about HOW you raise your children, not who raises your kids. By this logic all single parents are unfit to raise children and although in the very basic sense, yes it's probably the natural thing to have a mother and a father raising a kid, ( as nature originally intended) in today's society, there are far too many variables that make this a moot point.

~Tenth
edit on 6/11/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Just take a deep look at those who created the study... Fundamental my dear...

There is no preordained way to raise a child successfully and once it happens then and only then can the true studies begin.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

By your logic, prostitutes, drug abusers, people who are in and out of prison all the time are also selfish for reproducing and letting there children inherit their social stigma. Glad we cleared that up.

Did you just compare homosexuals with prostitutes, drug dealers, and prisoners? HAHAHAHAHA! Good job on your stance!

If we had more people like you, then I wouldn't need to push my ideas.

You are a radical... anyone who says they want to eradicate something is slightly imbalanced.

I am not saying homosexuals can't raise children... I am not saying they can't be good parents.... I am saying it is unfair the child.... Yet after countless times of saying that, you still are focused on the adults abilities, and not what's best for the child....

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
It's all about HOW you raise your children, not who raises your kids. By this logic all single parents are unfit to raise children and although in the very basic sense, yes it's probably the natural thing to have a mother and a father raising a kid, ( as nature originally intended) in today's society, there are far too many variables that make this a moot point.

Point and case, what are we talking about again?

Oh yea, raising children. The more parents the better, simply because of the extra time the child gets from it.

I could really care less if it is two mom's, two dad's, a mom and dad, a medley in between.

As long as the children have people that care about child's best interests above their own, it's good.

My hat is off to the single parents that do it. Hard enough with multiple parents, don't even want to imagine doing it solo.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join