It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rick Santorum predicts a convention fight with Ron Paul delegates over party platform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Who said Santorum delegates would be up for grabs? It certainly looks like Santorum is holding onto them, and he's ready to use them against Ron Paul?:

Rick Santorum and Ron Paul have never gotten along, and while the primaries are effectively over, their intra-party rivalry could stretch on through the summer.

With 267 delegates pledged to him so far, Santorum is planning to flex his muscle at the Republican party convention in August, where he predicted Friday there could be a showdown over the party platform between the social conservative delegates who pledged support for him and Ron Paul's libertarian supporters. Paul's campaign predicts that about 200 delegates will attend the convention on his behalf.

Both want a piece of the party platform, but candidates agree on very little politically. Speaking to reporters here Friday at a conservative conference, Santorum said his supporters are ready for "a fight" in Tampa.

"I want to make sure that our delegates have an opportunity to come, many of these folks were great volunteers and workers for us and I want to make sure they have the opportunity to experience that convention, and we have other candidates who have delegates coming who, let's put it this way, may have a different approach, particularly to the platform," Santorum said. "Some of the other issues that are going to be discussed at the convention. I want to make sure that the folks who represent the values that I did during this campaign are also are able to come to that convention and have their voices heard. I certainly have encouraged everyone to support Governor Romney as I have, but there are a lot of other issues at the convention other than just voting for the nominee."

abcnews.go.com...

Santorum has already put his (passive) support behind Romney, so the only others he'll be pitting his delegates against come GOP election time will be Ron Paul and Gingrich. I doubt Santorum will have much to go against Gingrich, they are virtually the same on the issues, so it's Paul left with these differences. We've been lead to believe all these weeks that it will only be Paul delegates and Romney delegates that will be vocal come convention time, but Santorum has made it apparent that he ain't going silent come Tampa. Looks like Paul supporters have another challange on their hands to influence policy. This coming after Rand Paul's endorsement of Romney? It certainly hasn't been a good month thus far for Paulers.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Come to think of it, when it comes to social conservative issues, Santorum and Ron Paul are very similar, so maybe the article is hyping up a conflict?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The GOP have a plan to ensure they get to blame Obama for deeply systemic issues for another four years. That plan is implemented by the Santorum/Bachmann/Gingrich/Paul/et all sideshow. They WANT a fight in Tampa. They WANT discord within the party, so they can ensure there isnt a chance that Romney will win.

All according to plan. Tampa is gonna be ENTERTAINING.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
Come to think of it, when it comes to social conservative issues, Santorum and Ron Paul are very similar, so maybe the article is hyping up a conflict?

Name something other than Abortion.

They differ on the war on drugs, foreign policy, finances, defense spending...

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Foreign policy, finances and defense spending are not social issues. You may have a point on the drugs aspect, although Santorum hasn't really gone to deeply into that subject. The matter of abortion, gay marriage prayer in schools, both Santorum and Ron Paul share in on these issues.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

They even differ on Abortion, because Paul only wants it decided at the State Level, while Santorum wants to force his stance on the entire nation.

Paul may be against abortion, but he won't push his opinion on the nation as a whole.

They differ in about every way possible. As a matter of fact, Santorum was the main guy bashing all the other Republicans. He really ought to be the outcast at the convention, instead of Paul.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

The matter of abortion, gay marriage prayer in schools, both Santorum and Ron Paul share in on these issues.

How so? How are they similar beyond abortion?

On gay marriage Paul believes in states deciding. As far as I have seen, Santorum is fundamentally opposed to gay marriage. So that's one strike.

They both believe in prayer in school. Of course, so does Obama. The differences within those three positions is vast, tho.

Santorum for example voted for a bill that would DENY federal funding to schools that dont allow prayer. Paul merely supports the idea of prayer in schools. Obama has said he sees no reason to ban groups from praying in school.

Conclusion: You are clearly misconstruing many of Ron Paul's ideas either because you dont know what the # you are talking about, or are intentionally muddying the water.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Lawrence v Texas

Santorum opposed it, he said states should have the right to regulate homosexual acts
www.huffingtonpost.com...

Ron Paul also opposed the ruling, said that States should have the right to regulate homosexual acts:
blogs.orlandosentinel.com...

Abortion

Santorum actually supports the matter of abortions being left up to the states:

“The state has a right to do that, I have never questioned that the state has a right to do that," he said.

“The state has a right to do that, I have never questioned that the state has a right to do that," he said.

Ya'll know Ron Paul's position on abortion, he believes that it is a "states right" as well.

So there are similarities. Santorum and Ron Paul do differ on the death penalty and drugs so you are actually right on that:
www.ontheissues.org...

But I doubt that drugs and the death penalty will be center issues at this coming GOP convention.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
the convention is going to be such a circus, the stock market will take a hit as people will be afraid of the federal government dissolving into romper room

again

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Probable outcome: Romney people prevail in just about every significant argument. Maybe the Rombots will toss the Paulies a few crumbs on policies that the President couldn't change even if he wanted to.

Count on this: The entire platform committee could be magically transformed into Paul adherents and write the whole effing platform start to finish in Paul's own likeness, and Romney can smile and say nice things about it at the Convention and on the campaign trail, and starting about noon on Election Day the Rombots will shove that platform into the shredder and forget it ever existed.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

All according to plan. Tampa is gonna be ENTERTAINING.
reply to post by stanguilles7

Yes, but maybe only to a point.
One of the first issues may end it before it starts.
If, there is a motion to suspend the rules to the convention, which will instantly draw a second, then there will be a vote, again there will be a motion to have a roll call of the vote, which will take hours.
It will all come down to the vote on suspending the rules, if the rules are suspended, then that clears the way for Romney to secure the nomination.If the delegates reject suspending the rules, Then it will get exciting.
Pauls delegates will reject, Romneys will accept, so it boils down to Santorums and Gingrichs Delegates.
The majority rules, either way the delegates vote ,american voters may not agree and this may further split the party.The whole convention is not about Romney and Paul, it all balances on Santorum, Gingrich and their delegates.Many voters don't trust Romney, so it comes down to will Santorum and Gingrich and their delegates continue the fight at the convention or will they surrender to the party and Romney.
If they surrender to the party and Romney gets the nomination, we will not only the party split, we will see Obama win a second term, unless Paul runs as a third party.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

All I really have to say about this, is that Santorum is a christian fundamentalist nutjob that wants a ban on all forms of birth control and believes the idea of conservatism is watching your every move to make sure that you don't have sex before marriage or commit sinful acts.
He is out. Of. His. Mind.
And when it comes to anything else except for social issues, he goes on the attack and plays the blame game, pointing out everyone else's record and giving the dull perception that he is better. He did this during the debates.
Ron Paul, by definition of all that he has stood for these many years, is very different to the core. He believes in freedom of choice. He doesn't believe in the government being in your bedroom, or in your life, and he believes as a OB doc that you should be able to use contraception, and even the morning after pill. Ron Paul opposes abortion personally but would leave it up to the states.
Rick Santorum is so unpredictable, I wouldn't put it past him if he banned abortion his first day in office (hypothetically of course), and put all gay and lesbian couples in prison.
Two ENTIRELY different people running two ENTIRELY different campaigns. Not much for similarity, sorry.
Does anyone have any idea what will happen if Santorum or Gingrich never release their delegates? Will it give Romney a harder time to reach his magic number come convention time? I wonder what the rules are pertaining to this, or if it would cause a brokered convention? And once they are released, are there rules as to who they go to, or is it whomever the candidate specifies? Would be interesting to know...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Wishful thinking of two last place candidates. I never considered Rick Santorum as a real contender. I enjoyed watching him rise up in the polls it was very exciting to see the battle between him and Romney. But I think this is all hype. Rick Santorum got a nice tick in Google Searches this last week though.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   

They are the same but very different. One believes the Federal Government should intrude on every aspect of your life, the other does not.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This topic should say this, Rick Santorum plans a convention fight with Ron Paul delegates over party platform., instead.

top topics

join