It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White phosphorus: The new napalm?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Originally posted by milkyway12
reply to post by BriGuyTM90

Sir , have you been to Afghanistan or Iraq?

These insurgents arent human beings. They are disgusting fleas that deserve to die. Please , go to Iraq and Afghanistan for a year or two , and stop talking out of your ass.

I am trying to be productive here , but your ignorance of your post infallible. You have no idea about the "BS" the military puts out.

The military isnt putting out a whole lot of BS regarding these insurgents. They dont know too. The insurgents will tell you that the women and children of Islam will gladly die for Allah. (using them as cover).
edit on 9-6-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

What do you think made them become like that? Is it because they're just crazy terrorists? Not because a family member or relative was killed?

I'm sure it's just because they were born a terrorist....

Two words: religious fanatics

What?

Like Christian Fundamentalists who demonize homosexuals?
Like the old Catholic Inquisition, who demonized anyone not Catholic?
Like capitalists and their insatiable quest for more wealth? Oh wait, capitalism isn't a religion, at least, not yet.

Isn't this offtopic anyway? The topic is the use of White Phosporous as a "napalm like" weapon, especially one for clearing troops in areas where there may be civilian casualties.

Given the horrific and often fatal injuries sustained by non-combatants in urban areas, I personally feel its use should be avoided. I am not militaristically trained, but it seems to me that there has to be a better solution. Especially when combatants are probably expecting its deployment and will be wearing NBC-proof clothing, meaning the only casualties are going to be civilian.

On an open battleground where there is no risk to civilians, then its fair game. They are, after all, the enemy, and they would not hesitate to deploy it against you, if they had the choice.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

No thermite is also a hand grenade.It is a metal melting agent combining iron oxide and powdered aluminum.both ignited by a magnesium fuse.That burns at 2500 c.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Omega85

No thermite is also a hand grenade.It is a metal melting agent combining iron oxide and powdered aluminum.both ignited by a magnesium fuse.That burns at 2500 c.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
reply to post by Omega85

www.youtube.com...

White phosphorous is commonly used in signalling grenades...

(5) Capabilities -- the average soldier can throw the grenade 30 meters. The grenade has a bursting radius of 17 meters. All friendly personnel within this 17-meter area should be in a covered position to avoid being struck by burning particles. The WP filler burns for about 60 seconds at a temperature of 5,000 degrees Fahrenheit (2760 c). This intense heat causes the smoke produced by the grenade to rise quite rapidly, especially in cool climates. This makes the M15 grenade less desirable for use as a screening agent.

M15 White Phosphorous grenade

I would say that the most important difference between the two is that thermite contains its own oxidizer and cannot be smothered by isolating it from oxygen. White phosphorous, while difficult to smother, still requires an oxygen source.
edit on 10-6-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
I thought white phosphorous was supposed to be outlawed? Since when the hell did we start using that crap? Even water will not put it out it burns even hotter in water and the human body is 80% water.

Nope, WP is isn't officially classified as a chemical weapon. According to Peter Kaiser at the CWC:

No it's not forbidden by the CWC if it is used within the context of a military application which does not require or does not intend to use the toxic properties of white phosphorus. White phosphorus is normally used to produce smoke, to camouflage movement. If that is the purpose for which the white phosphorus is used, then that is considered under the convention legitimate use. If on the other hand the toxic properties of white phosphorus are specifically intended to be used as a weapon, that of course is prohibited, because the way the convention is structured or the way it is in fact applied, any chemicals used against humans or animals that cause harm or death through the toxic properties of the chemical are considered chemical weapons.

WP is a pyrophoric substance.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I was under the impression that white phosphorus was illegal as a weapon, and that was from a friend who is in the Danish army and was in the clean up after it was used in Falluja.
Perhaps he was wrong about its legality, though these type of weapons damn well should be illegal.

posted on Jun, 11 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by CthulhuMythos
I was under the impression that white phosphorus was illegal as a weapon, and that was from a friend who is in the Danish army and was in the clean up after it was used in Falluja.
Perhaps he was wrong about its legality, though these type of weapons damn well should be illegal.

From what I understand, it is legal to use as a screening or camouflaging agent, but not as a weapon intended to cause death. That's basically what the CWC determined, as referenced above.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join