It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A History in Pictures: Moments Frozen in Time.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I have been spending some time of late looking at old photos of the "Iconic" nature and have decided that it would be a good idea to immortalize these incredible images of our past. There are many photos throughout history that have moved us in a verity of ways, be they of war or the bright lights of Hollywood, they seem to bring understanding, emotion and awe of times gone by.

In doing a search for a thread of this type I did find this one www.abovetopsecret.com... posted in 2007. Several of the posters within its single page are no longer with us.

I ask that you dig deep into your past research and post those pictures of "remember when" so they don't go silently into history never to be seen again. Who knows, one might spark a thread idea. Give a small description of the time/era and what/who the picture is of for those who may not recognize its nature in history. I also ask that we be careful with copyrights and give credit where credit is due if available.

Let this be a pictorial history of the days gone by.

I begin with the very first photo taken. (Joseph Nicéphore Niépce in the Summer of 1826)

The Great Earthquake and Fire of San Francisco (April 18th 1906) (photographer unknown)

The Great freeze of Niagara Falls in 1911(photographer unknown)(very rare photo)

The destruction of the Hindenburg(Murray Becker, 1937)

The taking of Omaha Beach, Normandy, France(Robert Capa, June 6, 1944)

The Space Shuttle Challenger exploding 73 seconds after lift off(January 28, 1986 photographer not found)

Bush Jr. being told of the Trade Center attack(September 11, 2001 photographer not found)

So there you have a start, some you recognize and maybe some you don't, but I left many open years and occurrences for you to add. Please have fun and lets all learn something while exploring our history of frozen moments.
edit on 9-6-2012 by Agarta because: Sorry fixed a pic.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The start of one of the worlds biggest city's. Los Angeles

"The site of one of the greatest engineering projects ever undertaken by the American government, the place where Hoover Dam would be constructed, is shown Sept. 19, 1930. About seven miles from Las Vegas, Nevada, when completed, it would furnish water and electrical power to six states. The Dam was estimated to cost in the neighborhood of $165,000,000"

This undated view, looking upstream through the Black Canyon, shows the giant concrete forms covering the finished base of the Hoover Dam as construction continued in Boulder City, Nevada. The fleet of trucks used to haul materials for the concrete are seen in foreground.

Time line of the project.
blogs.denverpost.com...

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima is a historic photograph taken on February 23, 1945, by Joe Rosenthal. It depicts five United States Marines and a U.S. Navy corpsman raising the flag of the United States atop Mount Suribachi[1] during the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II.
Wiki

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Soviet Union soldiers Raqymzhan Qoshqarbaev and Georgij Bulatov raising the flag on the roof of the Reichstag in Berlin, Germany in May 1945.

The first human footprint on the moon, belonging to Neil Armstrong. Taken on July 20, 1969 by Buzz Aldrin.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Here for your perusal is a highly creative photograph of Villa of Brule the great hostile Indian camp on River Brule near Pine Ridge, South Dakota. Image Illustrates Hostile Lakota Sioux Indians. It was created in 1891 by Grabill, John C. H., photographer.

Lincoln at Antietam

NYC Fire Department early 1900s

Here's a great site with lots more photos
www.old-picture.com...

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

normandy beach just after the assault

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Oooh... I like this thread.. you never know what gems may turn up

as for my effort, I made a little video a while back.. I collected a load of pics and joined them together and created the sound track to go with it.. It's kinda a little story.. and it tries to go along a time line.

I had originally posted it in a thread but now that this thread has cropped up, and my vid follows a similar fashion, I thought I'd share it with you here

I hope you get the idea behind my little vid.. Sorry for any glitches in it..there were uploading issues.. it was fine playing it on my pc.. only a couple of small glitches in it..

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Nice pics and great vid. The photo I think that belongs is the Vietnam War era of the little girl running from the battle. That is one of the greatest anti war photos ever. Don'tknow yet how to upload it. Yes I have read how to do it just haven't tried it yet.

P

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
On the eve of the Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles, it portrays John F. and Bobby Kennedy (Henry G. "Hank" Walker July 10, 1960)

Jimi Hendrix (Linda Eastman/McCartney 1967)

Early Beatles with Pete Best, not Ringo Star(1961, photographer not found)

Marilyn Monroe on the set of "The Seven Year Itch" (1954, Matty Zimmerman)

Charles Lindbergh and the "Spirit of St. Louis" (1927, photographer not found)

edit on 10-6-2012 by Agarta because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Great thread idea!

These three are images I saw a long time ago, but will never forget.

After a napalm attack in Vietnam. The Pulitzer Prize-winning photograph taken on June 8, 1972 by AP photographer Nick Ut (blurred for nudity for t&c compliance).
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/qp4fd5083f.jpg[/atsimg]

After the shootings at Kent State
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/nb4fd4f9b7.jpg[/atsimg]

And to leave on a positive note, the first picture of "Earthrise" taken on December 24, 1968 (taken by astronaut William Anders during the Apollo 8 mission).

edit on 6/10/2012 by Open2Truth because: edit to add photo credits

edit on 6/10/2012 by Open2Truth because: blur photo

new topics

top topics

join