It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Pentagon Analyst Says China Can Shut Down All The Telecom Gear It Sold To The US

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
thinking, thinking, don't think to hard. It is staring you right in the face.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
The US Military has known about counterfeit backdoor Chinese-made circuits existing in their systems for years. Just mentioning the discovery of such faulty circuits can get you fired from a major military subcontractor as well as receive threats from said subcontractor. Don't ask me how I know this - I swear it is true.

The problem is even in our most modern submarines, which is about as close to a closed system as you can get.

True case in point: I have a friend who has a unique educational background and has worked for various universities, NASA, etc. He was sought out by a certain military subcontractor and hired to troubleshoot a critical issue. Amplifiers were overheating responsible for various (read critical) hydraulic systems on board our newest attack subs. While troubleshooting the problem, my friend uncovered variations in the actual chip design that pointed to possible backdoor capability. When the discovery was notified to superiors at the subcontracting firm, upper management and the head of R&D showed up immediately which was rare. When they asked my friend how to fix the problem, he recommended they redesign the entire system from scratch, which he is capable of doing (he is beyond brilliant). They balked at the idea, gave him a swift exit strategy and threatened him not to ever mention his work history at their firm.

All this because some executives wanted to cheap out on the materials for one of our most advanced military vehicles? This problem is far, wide and throughout. And it involves our politicians to boot. I have said too much already.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
And they would shut things down because?

They are our sworn mortal enemy because?

They build some huge number of products, working hand in hand, for many US companies and provide untold consumer goods to us because?

And we believe we need to eventually kill all of them because?

I don't get this China is the sleeping giant enemy that wants to cross the great pacific in green fatigues and take over Los Angeles so then can....?

stop being so generalization. Get to the point of the issue, who is the cause? The people? NO. The elite who run the show or what are you talking about?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
You can always tell a fake, they are like car salesmen, they avoid the questions of WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT. I will make more jobs in u.s.a. OK, well, what are you going to do about it, what is the plan. Don't generalize, get to the f# point fo the matter. NO, they avoid the issues so that they can profit from it. For once, i would like someone to talk about the issues than generalize on a statement. feel free to say input.
edit on 8-6-2012 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
We need NEW TECH. to think outside of the box and get around the electronic components of today. America is full of ideas, just like tesla was full of new ideas. My thoughts.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
here is food for thought, what about bio engineered electronics. Your brain. Engeneer circuits that are bio. An engineered bio processor, made of cell structure. After all, is your brain not a processor? It takes electrical signals does it not.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

As I've stated previously..

Personally I'm glad this happened. Good for China, maybe this way those Bozos over at the Pentagon will finally pull their heads out of their backsides and realize that their annual multi-Billion dollar outsourcing to foreign companies and not employing Americans who work for indigenous American companies is a THREAT to national security by not only this type of possibility but those Billions would help the economy as well.

MORONS....

Slayer - a good point. I agree and I'd like to add a bit a to it.

It isn't just the government contracts that employ off-shore made parts or software. Something has been kicking around my brain for a bit now...

Most companies outsource their software development now. Of course, India springs to most people's minds. However, China does a a bunch too. However, many other countries that are either outright hostile to the US or have hostile segment of their society / culture are rapidly becoming hotbeds for US countries to outsource their IT work to - Egypt, Malaysia, etc - even Pakistan. The usual reason is because they are cheap. Cheaper than China or India now..

I'm not just talking about small companies either. Top fortune 500 companies lead in doing this.

So lets say someone in Egypt that knows how to program wants to strike a blow against the US. What would be the absolute easiest way for him to do it? Get a job as a programmer for a big US company - many of them are hiring there right now.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I have worked in the Telcom field for over 10 years. There is very little Huawei Technologies in the network. The big players don't use like ATT, Verizon and US Government don't use them. So far only the small start-ups and mom and pop telcom companies use them. Sprint and T-mobile use them a little bit.The chips who know how many of those are out there.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
this is sooo stupid. If they would of stopped jobs going overseas and stuck to america , this would of never happened. IDIOTS.

I was going to say exactly the same thing! What jackass would send critical infrastructure technology and military technology to a communist country that would more than likely one day become an adversary. Especially a country you owe billions or trillions of dollars to that could literally hijack your entire economy overnight. I know there are levels of stupidity but this really seems to take the proverbial cake. Nothing this asinine however, happens by accident.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
There is absolutely no reason to use anything "foreign made" when it comes to defense systems it is simply outrageous and should not being happening.

Think they should all be tried for treason.

American made!!!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by SLAYER69

Few good EMP weapons,and EVERYTHING is rendered useless. Civilian crap,especially.

Everything in the U.S. military that flies or drives has been hardened against EMP since the 50's. Why don't you learn about what you spout before making false comments.

At&t also has a back up system underground in hardened nuke shelters to insure communication is never lost.

Not to mention that the entire internet could be flipped off for Asia at anytime by the U.S. military as we still hold they keys to the net. The U.S. military has a lot of tricks up its sleeve and weapons the Chicoms cant even think of yet so let them get brave just one time, see who ends up in a great ball of fire.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge

Everything in the U.S. military that flies or drives has been hardened against EMP since the 50's. Why don't you learn about what you spout before making false comments.

Ah....Mr. Know it All............

Maybe you should realize that we haven't kept up with it,like we did in the Cold War. I am sure we have many hardened sites,but not all.

Do you know what the Chinese or the Russians have been secretly working on? I dont. I am 100% sure you dont,with your "know it all" response.........Watch the videos. The US General,tells you ,YOU ARE WRONG !!!!

This video has some startling information about EMPs. It seems that since the end of the Cold War, the US military has really slacked off on protecting military installations and equipment from EMP forces, and our society in general has become more reliant on highly vulnerable technologies. The Russians had developed EMP bombs as small as a beer can. Not all of them have been accounted for since the demise of the USSR. Such devices could be used in a busy airport, to blind air traffic, or in the NYC stock exchange, causing trillions of dollars in losses. It's a new world with new threats, but are we keeping up?

EMP Vulnerability: Could Advanced Electronics be the Achilles' Heel of our Western Civilization?

edit on 8-6-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
You take away the cell phone, you take away REDS LARGEST TOOL/WEAPON. Imagine all the low level people using their cells to manipulate energy thinking they are all badass, then the cells go out and the gorillas come for their revenge. There will be bigger problems when ALL the power goes out. All those people that relied on electronic maps/gps, fast food, etc will Now have to fare for themselves among the people they so easily laughed at hurting. And the meek will inherit the earth.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Before I get all up in arms over this, I'd like to know "what communications technology, specifically" is Chinese made?

Having worked in telecommunications throughout the 90's and into the early 2000's (2004), and having helped coordinate the installation of hundreds of point to point T1's, T3's, octets, and so on, I can categorically state that the majority of equipment installed and used by the big backbones in the US is / was manufactured by Western Electric / Lucent Technologies.

So I am glowering dubious, at best.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

These counterfeit components

Although the companies you've mentioned would seem to be free of such possibilities I think that part of the description is critical. Can you say for certain that all "Components" used by them would be considered legitimate and not counterfeit?

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
ooops
edit on 9-6-2012 by syrinx high priest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

I have no idea. I was a tech / provisioner, not an engineer. I did know a few engineers from Bell Labs / Lucent, and they seemed in intelligent enough to have innovated / helped innovate those technologies in-house, without help from the Chinese, but I suppose anything is possible.

posted on Jun, 9 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

I think it's the actual manufacturing of said components that's being called into question. Were they modified after the manufacturing specifications were given for said product?.

Not the engineering or whole package after manufacturing.

posted on Jun, 10 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

It's a good question. I just don't know. I know the Western Electric factory sat at the corner of 120th Street and Pecos for decades, and it was huge. I always assumed it was done in house. You might be right though. Maybe they did out source the manufacturing and I just never realized it. I only visited the factory a few times over the years. It is possible that some or all of the manufacturing work eventually went overseas.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join