It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former Pentagon Analyst Says China Can Shut Down All The Telecom Gear It Sold To The US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Source - www.businessinsider.com...

Chinese companies apparently have a covert capability to remotely access communications technology sold to the United States and other Western countries and could "disable a country's telecommunications infrastructure before a military engagement," according to former and current intelligence sources.

The Chinese also have the ability to exploit networks "to enable China to continue to steal technology and trade secrets," according to the open source intelligence company Lignet, which is comprised of former U.S. intelligence analysts.

The issue centers on the Chinese firm Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd., which U.S. intelligence sources say has direct links to the Chinese government and the People's Liberation Army, or PLA. These sources assert that Huawei and other Chinese telecommunications firms such as ZTE Corp. have "electronic backdoors" to telecommunications technology sold to the U.S. and other countries

This is related and I feel this story is a continuation of other counterfeit/potential backdoor threats that i have started and recently discussed here on ATS:

U.S. missiles infected with Chinese fakes

Security backdoor found in China-made US military chip

From the original article,

These counterfeit components have been found in sensitive U.S. missile systems meant to thwart the potential of a Chinese missile attack, in night vision devices and in various military aircraft.

And

With this capability, China would be in a position to sabotage critical U.S. weapons systems and sensitive cyber sites and could include intelligence or systems used by defense contractors doing work on behalf of the U.S. government

So, like I've been saying, this is a major defensive issue for the US, in fact, North America as a whole! I'm not saying the Chinese will attack, BUT, they could and with their apparent ability to create HUGE potential defensive gaps within the US could make an attack definitely easier to accomplish as defensive missile capability could be comprimsed (with counterfeit chips) AND now this news about telecommunications potentially being comprimised. Imagine if they could turn off or manipulate a certain percentage of telecommunications networks within the US?!

It could be a disaster scenario brought about by incompetence and poor policies regarding the ways the military went about acquiring these chips/telecommunication systems but failed to find these security flaws. Granted, the Chinese are smart and they may have done a good job covering their tracks and it may have just come to light that these flaws exsist!

As mentioned in the related threads, the chips may compromise the THAAD missile defense system, which is a major component of the USA's 3-tiered missile defense system, combine that with the potential ability to cut out telecommunication, and BAM. A potential for an un-defensible or less than optimal defense systems and no or little communications.. Scary!

Thoughts?!
edit on 6/8/2012 by Nspekta because: spelling

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I should state that the article doesn;t specifically describe which 'telecom' systems, where, how many people they could affect, etc

BUT, lets say they had access to even 25% of civilian telecommunication systems, that would definitely be enough to comprimise the defensive capability of the US, in certain areas AND comprimise the ability for communication between civilians and military/government/each other.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Wow we sure did see this one coming.Maybe we should begin applying for government jobs since the obvious seems to escape the current cadre.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
this is similar to when the US was tapping soviet communication lines and listening in to their secret conversations. Gave us an edge in the cold war. Sounds like china is doing the same thing only on a much more sophisticated scale and method.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
this is sooo stupid. If they would of stopped jobs going overseas and stuck to america , this would of never happened. IDIOTS.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

Maybe they wanted it to happen.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Americans are just giving the show away.
Everybody, Keep buying Chinese made junk.

America
Maos offspring need your support!

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

maybe they did , i don't know.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Don't believe the hype.

This is a psy-op purpetrated by the intelligence community to make the Chinese believe the US is weaker than it really is, to try to give them a false-sense of security and not showing it's hand at what it is capable of.

You don't become a superpower by luck or chance, there are some extremely smart and wickedly crafty people pulling the strings of the US intelligence system.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Maybe american buisnesses will think twice about making a QUICK BUCK and stay at home rather than LOOSE EVERYTHING. OH, WAIT, THEY DON'T CARE.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Few good EMP weapons,and EVERYTHING is rendered useless. Civilian crap,especially.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine
reply to post by Nspekta

Don't believe the hype.

This is a psy-op purpetrated by the intelligence community to make the Chinese believe the US is weaker than it really is, to try to give them a false-sense of security and not showing it's hand at what it is capable of.

You don't become a superpower by luck or chance, there are some extremely smart and wickedly crafty people pulling the strings of the US intelligence system.

oh, yeah, then they better get off the duff instead of letting buisnesses rule the country.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
this is sooo stupid. If they would of stopped jobs going overseas and stuck to america , this would of never happened. IDIOTS.

As I've stated previously..

Personally I'm glad this happened. Good for China, maybe this way those Bozos over at the Pentagon will finally pull their heads out of their backsides and realize that their annual multi-Billion dollar outsourcing to foreign companies and not employing Americans who work for indigenous American companies is a THREAT to national security by not only this type of possibility but those Billions would help the economy as well.

MORONS....

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

That won't happen. It's called the 'military-industrial complex' for a reason.

Both are symbiotic to one another. They either prosper together, or die together. And although the US economy is in a bad spot right now, by being so intimately entwined with that of China the US has ensured the Chinese will not dare attempt to bring America down by financial means.

The Chinese have no problems with stealing information via OSINT, but they realize that, for now at least, our two countries are too attached for outright hostilities. It will all be down 'on the down low'.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
This could also be some very well crafted propaganda, could it not? Think about it, doesn't it almost come out like they are telling us this is going to most likely happen? When does our government actually tell us the truth? Not discounting the fact that we buy tons of products from China, but usually our government keeps it's mouth shut about it's insecurities and mistakes UNLESS they are thinking about using something such as this against the American people, thus throwing the blame on our so called "enemy" China.........

I could be totally wrong, but nothing these criminals do anymore surprises me....

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
They sold out their country, don't let it happen to ours. THINK.
A country is strong because of the people who made it that way. Take away that and all you have is anarchy , unstable. Do you want your children growing up in a world of total control of everything. NO. So think of the future, I'm sure they did. Not of YOUR interest tho.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

god bless slayer. I'm sure i am not the only one, who will state that one.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
And they would shut things down because?

They are our sworn mortal enemy because?

They build some huge number of products, working hand in hand, for many US companies and provide untold consumer goods to us because?

And we believe we need to eventually kill all of them because?

I don't get this China is the sleeping giant enemy that wants to cross the great pacific in green fatigues and take over Los Angeles so then can....?

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreine

That won't happen. It's called the 'military-industrial complex' for a reason.

Both are symbiotic to one another. They either prosper together, or die together. And although the US economy is in a bad spot right now, by being so intimately entwined with that of China the US has ensured the Chinese will not dare attempt to bring America down by financial means.

The Chinese have no problems with stealing information via OSINT, but they realize that, for now at least, our two countries are too attached for outright hostilities. It will all be down 'on the down low'.

what makes you think they care about you? I do not mean, the people, i mean the ones who run the show. It always comes out in the wash, who cares about who. THAT IS WHAT REALLY COUNTS.

posted on Jun, 8 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

You are posting these semi-inflammatory assumptive questions because?
edit on 8-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join