It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slapped in the Face by ATF Today

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Originally posted by Urbanshadow
reply to post by seabag

We are not allowed to own firearms here (in the UK) without a special licence. I just wondered why you had so many, and what you wanted another one for?

Because I like them and it’s my constitutional right (or at least it used to be…I’m beginning to wonder if I missed the memo).

Not to get too far off topic but…..guns are part of American culture, friend. I don’t expect you to fully understand or appreciate it because your country wasn’t formed through violent uprising at the end of a gun just two centuries ago. Our country vowed that its citizens would never be caught in that position again (pitted against a tyrannical government), which is why we (Americans) have a ‘right’ to keep and bear arms.

Everyone has the right to bear arms, regardless of what country they're from or their country's constitution. Ours specifically protects that right from infringement by the Federal and State governments.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Is that your war face?...

I don't know I can get a gun in like 5 mins, and I always expected it was because I held high clearances and was actively military for 28 years. Last time I bought a gun the dealer said 'this might take awhile" and then he said holy# its approved.

One thing to add...

When I retired they really pushed hard for me to claim PTSD, well since I fly for a living that would not do very well with maintaining an FAA physical so I fought it every step. (oh BTW I didn't have it in the least), so maybe I'm thinking you might have been pushed into claiming it too and that might be what is the hold...just a thought out of the box.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I know someone that went through this. He made a phone call and found out that it was because his SS was really close to that of someone who wasn't legally allowed to purchase a gun. Could be something similar??

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

That is unacceptable. For some reason, it would seem that former active duty Marines are considered a threat nowadays...probably because they are informed, well trained killers and perhaps a bit jaded, nonetheless...you have a God given right to buy that weapon and it's no ones business as to why you want it. Semper Fi Devildog...fight for your rights and stand your ground...you've earned it.

sincerely,
Your fellow Veteran

Hey, Marine!

I’m obviously going to answer my phone the next few days in hopes that the store calls me to pick up my weapon!

Hopefully it’s normal inconvenience (like much of what we endure from our beloved federal government); it could be worse!

You can bet I’ll be throwing up the BS flag if I don’t get it by the 13th!

Semper Fi and welcome to ATS (you're not alone - there are a few like us
)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Xtrozero

Is that your war face?...

Nah…some Army guy I found on Google images!

I don't know I can get a gun in like 5 mins, and I always expected it was because I held high clearances and was actively military for 28 years. Last time I bought a gun the dealer said 'this might take awhile" and then he said holy# its approved.

Must be nice? Where do you live? Maybe I’ll just send you my wish list along with and extra 15%!

One thing to add...

When I retired they really pushed hard for me to claim PTSD, well since I fly for a living that would not do very well with maintaining an FAA physical so I fought it every step. (oh BTW I didn't have it in the least), so maybe I'm thinking you might have been pushed into claiming it too and that might be what is the hold...just a thought out of the box.

No PTSB here…I own it.

I appreciate your service!

My old man served 28 in the Army…apparently 28 in the Army is the equivalent to 8 in the Marine Corps (or maybe he's more of a hard-charger...though I'd never say that in front of him)!

edit on 7-6-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Isn't there a law stating that when purchasing a firearm there must be a few days waiting period? I thought this became a law so that really angry people have a few days to cool off before getting their hands on a gun.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TooManyTheories

I know someone that went through this. He made a phone call and found out that it was because his SS was really close to that of someone who wasn't legally allowed to purchase a gun. Could be something similar??

Ya, I hope it’s something like that.

The only reason I don’t think that’s the case is because I purchased a similar firearm from the same dealer @ 2 months ago.

That’s why it got my juices flowing…I’ve been there before RECENTLY without a problem.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Happened to me on the last pistol I purchased about 4 years ago. I was embarassed and tried to cover it as best I could, which was difficult because the store was small and crowded. I called them every day and on the 4th day, I was able to pick up the gun. I asked the why questions but they didn't really give me an explanation except that "these things happen". Haven't tried to purchase one since.
edit on 7-6-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   

reply to post by schuyler

Hmm. As I understand it, you purchase a gun. The store calls it in to NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System). They receive the OK in seconds. The ATF does not keep a record. The store keeps Form 4473 in a "Bound Book." If someone buys two or more guns within a five day period, that has to be reported separately. In my state, There is an automatic 3-day waiting period for handguns unless you have a Concealed Carry permit, in which case there is no waiting period.

Isn't that how this works?

That sounds about right to me except there is no 3 day wait in Texas for handguns (I was buying a rifle anyway).

SO, the issue is, why were you tagged with the NICS? It could be random, but they don't normally stand in your way. Please do post the results.

No impact – no idea! I wish I knew!

My record is clean…always has been. I’ve heard from two people now that this “hold” is akin to a random drug test at work; I drew the unlucky number I guess.

I’ll post the results on or before 6/13 (which is when they said to come back unless I hear from the store earlier).

Do you have any unpaid traffic tickets from out of state? I am asking because my husband and I were driving through New Mexico last Christmas and we were pulled over for speeding, which we were not doing, but that is another story. Anyway, my husband was so ticked off he refused to pay the ticket. Amazingly enough, three months later he tries to buy a shotgun in Texas, and is denied, with no explanation. He gets online to try to figure out what the hell is going on, and sure enough, it was the ticket. I guess if you have a speeding ticket, you are at risk for owning a firearm?

Here is what really made me mad; we were not even speeding, we could not show up in court to fight since it was a month later, and we live in Texas. So we did not pay the ticket out of protest. Well, we ended up paying that ticket just because my husband could never buy another gun until we did. $387 later, and over $200 more in insurance per year, we have our shotgun.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
So, what would you bring to the gunfight, a stick or a steak knife. Does your government 'allow' you to have steak knives?

I hope they don't take away your pencils and make you use crayons. That would suck.

Interesting.

So just how much more tyranical does your Gov have to get, before you lock and load?

When they are running you down in the streets? (see OWS)

When they are poisoning your food? ( see Monsanto)

When they are taking away your rights( see ,,,too many to list)

So Rambo, when do you lock and load, exercise those 2nd amendant rights,

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

I only know one, bit of a smartass. Funny guy though. They dont call it in in front of you?

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Isn't there a law stating that when purchasing a firearm there must be a few days waiting period? I thought this became a law so that really angry people have a few days to cool off before getting their hands on a gun.

Yes, I think that was part of the Brady Bill (I could be wrong).

I do know that there has been no wait the last several times I have personally purchased a firearm. There is an instant check now where they run your info through ATF while you wait and that’s worked fine for me recently (just 2 months ago I was out in 20 minutes for a similar weapon).

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
armslist.com

Why anyone purchases firearms from a dealer these days is beyond me. Aside from highly specialized, or showpieces, I can't imagine anything less desirable than filling out paperwork and "asking permission" from some bureaucrattic asshat in an office to "allow" me to use my own money to exercise my 2nd ammendment rights. Thus, the private exchange of money for steel takes place. The entire situation surrounding that little government farce is akin to having to ask the EPA before you take a leak in the wilderness...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by artnut

Do you have any unpaid traffic tickets from out of state? I am asking because my husband and I were driving through New Mexico last Christmas and we were pulled over for speeding, which we were not doing, but that is another story. Anyway, my husband was so ticked off he refused to pay the ticket. Amazingly enough, three months later he tries to buy a shotgun in Texas, and is denied, with no explanation. He gets online to try to figure out what the hell is going on, and sure enough, it was the ticket. I guess if you have a speeding ticket, you are at risk for owning a firearm?

No…no tickets or unpaid tickets here.

Here is what really made me mad; we were not even speeding, we could not show up in court to fight since it was a month later, and we live in Texas. So we did not pay the ticket out of protest. Well, we ended up paying that ticket just because my husband could never buy another gun until we did. $387 later, and over $200 more in insurance per year, we have our shotgun.

They would have caught him when he renewed his vehicle registration anyway!

They catch up with you…Karma has that tendency (as do government’s seeking YOUR money).

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
One week I had the gun itch pretty bad. Started with an AR, next day a pistol, next day a pistol, next day an AK. As I recall I only had to do something extra because I bought 2 pistols within 5 days. That was when I asked the gun shop guy about people getting slapped on the wait list. I figured buying one a day for a few days would get me there, but nope.

Did you give them your SSN? I think that helps. I'm surprised it takes them that long where you are to get confirmation. I give them my ID and CPL, they go call the ATF while I do the paperwork, authorized in about 2 minutes, paperwork takes about 5. Boom. Out the door or on the range in about 10 minutes.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

The entire situation surrounding that little government farce is akin to having to ask the EPA before you take a leak in the wilderness...

OMG you just admitted to peeing in the wilderness without a form 60 being filed with the EPA? Dude, better call a lawyer.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

Interesting.

So just how much more tyranical does your Gov have to get, before you lock and load?

Quite a bit, actually! I can wait a week…I’m just going to be MAD ABOUT IT!

When they are running you down in the streets? (see OWS)

When they are poisoning your food? ( see Monsanto)

When they are taking away your rights( see ,,,too many to list)

So Rambo, when do you lock and load, exercise those 2nd amendant rights,

When America needs me…as usual.

And Rambo was in the Army…I’m MUCH harder!

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Well that sucks man first time i ever heard of anyone ever being denied for a "rifle" lol what was it ?

A 50 BMG?

edit on 7-6-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Why anyone purchases firearms from a dealer these days is beyond me. Aside from highly specialized, or showpieces, I can't imagine anything less desirable than filling out paperwork and "asking permission" from some bureaucrattic asshat in an office to "allow" me to use my own money to exercise my 2nd ammendment rights.

It is a disgusting act (as I found out today) but you can’t buy NEW private party. I’m not a damn armorer (I just use’m and abuse’m).

Thus, the private exchange of money for steel takes place. The entire situation surrounding that little government farce is akin to having to ask the EPA before you take a leak in the wilderness...

It did piss me off…you’re right about how ridiculous it is!

I wanted to slap someone but the sweet lady taking care of me didn’t deserve my scorn! I noticed she took a step back when she saw my initial reaction and I kind of felt bad…not her fault.

This is why I am a member of the NRA. Who the hell else fights to preserve out right? Imagine what it would be like if the NRA hadn't been lobbying over the past several decades.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

When America needs me…as usual.

And Rambo was in the Army…I’m MUCH harder!

My post actually wasnt directed towards you m8.

And while we may often disagree, I dont question your qualifications.

You see, its not responsible gun owners who cause me concern, its the punk ass kids who could

break in your house and steal those guns who concern me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join