It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient 'Vampire' Bodies Found In Bulgaria

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
hi all

wasnt sure whether to post this here or in the general chit chat forum... but seeing as its kinda relevant to paranormal studies, i thought here was the best place..!

just been reading this article where archaeologists have unearthed human skeletons in Bulgaria with huge iron rods through their chests...

According to Bozhidar Dimitrov, head of the National History Museum in the Bulgarian capital Sofia, two skeletons from the Middle Ages have been discovered near the Black Sea town of Sozopol.

"These two skeletons stabbed with rods illustrate a practice which was common in some Bulgarian villages up until the first decade of the 20th century," said Mr Dimitrov

ancient skeletons unearthed in Bulgaria are believed to have been victims of an anti-vampire ritual

it seems that the Bulgarians take on the vampire is somewhat different to our own...

Widespread superstition led to iron rods being hammered through the chest bones and hearts of those who did evil during their lifetimes for fear they would return after death to feast on the blood of the living.

People believed the rod would pin them down to prevent them from leaving their graves at midnight and terrorising people as they slept, the historian explained

an archeologist cleans dust from a skeleton dating back to the middle ages in Sozopol, Bulgaria

also there was another 6 skeletons unearthed which had been nailed down, in a site near the eastern town of Debelt... in those regions is where one of the most famous tales came from...

Vampire legends form an important part of the region's folklore.

The most famous tale is that of Romanian count Vlad the Impaler, known as Dracula, who stalked his war enemies and drank their blood

news.sky.com...

just thought it was an interesting read, and thought you guys would find it interesting too

oh and also, i think there must have been creatures and magical beings otherwise how would all these old stories come about...?? something must have happened to someone to make people carry out prevention rituals... for example, the iron rod in the chest to prevent you getting out of your grave at night if you become a vampire...

there is definitely something to all these old tales, legends and myths... unless there were all just high back then...!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Just read this. The Iron STEAKS is another addition I thought they were wooden unless these are for another type of creature? Wild to see them mention vampires on a MSM site though.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Why doesnt someone check the DNA for any possible evidence of genetic modification?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

ancient skeletons unearthed in Bulgaria are believed to have been victims of an anti-vampire ritual
i did not see anything saying the body's were "vampires" it seem to tell the story of people who would stab the dead for fear of possible returning from the grave , the title says VAMPIRE BODIES FOUND ? where ? did i miss something ?

edit on 6-6-2012 by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2012 by LightningStrikesHere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I didn't see fangs.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
I didn't see fangs.

Yeah I was excited to seem some too. Have to read the article to see how they arrived at vampires. Maybe they were werewolves.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
The thread title is somewhat misleading. I thought they found bodies with fangs like a vampire. Here was just a ritual to prevent the dead bodies from rising from the grave. Sounds more like a fear of zombies... There I said it.
Vampires are so 90's in the 21st century everything is either aliens or zombies.

S&F just the same OP for the good find.
edit on 6-6-2012 by JAY1980 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
They believed the dead would rise up and haunt them at night so they placed rocks in their mouths and nailed them down. A few other threads talk about this. Just like Bali culture where they create a 'back door' in their houses when they remove the dead so the spirit will not find it's way back home.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bilk22

Originally posted by cavtrooper7
I didn't see fangs.

Yeah I was excited to seem some too. Have to read the article to see how they arrived at vampires. Maybe they were werewolves.

www.msn.com...
In the link the Vampire skeletons is seen on the lower right hand side.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by fluff007

I say let these poor souls rest. Sometimes archaeology goes to far.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Hi Everyone

Saw this article myself last nite, so thought I would do some more reading............

According to Bozhidar Dimitrov, head of the National History Museum in the Bulgarian capital Sofia, two skeletons from the Middle Ages have been discovered near the Black Sea town of Sozopol.

Widespread superstition led to iron rods being hammered through the chest bones and hearts of those who did evil during their lifetimes for fear they would return after death to feast on the blood of the living.

As you can see they have come out with a good reason why these people were stabbed through the chest........................but still no reason why they are calling the vampire's at all ??

Why come out and say something so strong when you dont have evidence to back it up ???

Then again !!!!!!!!

believed to have been victims of an old anti-vampire ritual

Superstition is a very strong word and alot of old folk lores are still followed in many countries also

Medusa

Bulgaria Vampire Bodies ???

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
it is long known that in england that they found dead with a spike in them.
they thought that if a wich died's they turn in to a vampire.
and a seventh sone.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by LightningStrikesHere

no... if you read the title properly it says:

Ancient 'Vampire' Bodies Found In Bulgaria...

did you not see the inverted commas situated around the word vampire...?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by JAY1980

like i've told another poster...

there are inverted commas situated around the word vampire...

like this ---> 'Vampire'

but thanks though... i thought it was interesting.. and they aren't saying they are vampires, just that they have been placed in a ritual to prevent them leaving their grave should they turn into vampires
edit on 6-6-2012 by fluff007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Its interesting to note that the area is not too far away from that known as Transylvania (a few hundred miles only).

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

yeah i agree with you there... its interesting to look into our history... but i do think sometimes they do go waayyy too far...

also if they remove the iron rod the dead might start walking around after midnight and sucking people's blood...!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

new topics

top topics

join