It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the Bible says you should stone to death your own daughter or wife?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Deuteronomy 13
King James Version

1 If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,

2 And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;

3 Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul.

4 Ye shall walk after the Lord your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.

5 And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the Lord your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the Lord thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee.

6 If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers;

7 Namely, of the gods of the people which are round about you, nigh unto thee, or far off from thee, from the one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth;

8 Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him:

9 But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people.

10 And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die;
because he hath sought to thrust thee away from the Lord thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

11 And all Israel shall hear, and fear, and shall do no more any such wickedness as this is among you.

www.biblegateway.com...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Please, don't try to say that the Bible doesn't say that...

It's very clear:

If thy brother, the son of thy mother, or thy son, or thy daughter, or the wife of thy bosom, or thy friend, which is as thine own soul, entice thee secretly, saying, Let us go and serve other gods, which thou hast not known, thou, nor thy fathers, Thou shalt not consent unto him, nor hearken unto him; neither shall thine eye pity him, neither shalt thou spare, neither shalt thou conceal him, But thou shalt surely kill him; thine hand shall be first upon him to put him to death, and afterwards the hand of all the people, And thou shalt stone him with stones, that he die.

Very, very clear...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Kinda makes me glad that its just a book of fiction.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by fairguy
reply to post by GLontra

The sad part is that many people may take it seriously, and kill their daughters who "dare" to talk at home that she converted to another religion...

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Many people do take it very seriously indeed, I believe that the people who believe these books as fact are truly standing in the way of true human evolution.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   
That might also look hard to believe, but its much easier to swallow than a book of nonsense and lies.
edit on 6-6-2012 by fairguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Most religions sadly are about this sort of thing though..........espeically Islam.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Clearly the bible doesn't take any account of global financial crisis then. With prices today, it would cost a fortune "stoning" my kids and mrs to death

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
"a call for blood"

i think thats a better title for the book

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Please, don't try to say that the Bible doesn't say that...

The bible doesn't say that.

Seriously, how else were they going to root out and eliminate those were not of "the body".

edit on 6/6/2012 by Klassified because: Add clip

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by GLontra

reply to post by GLontra

The sad part is that many people may take it seriously, and kill their daughters who "dare" to talk at home that she converted to another religion...

they dooooooo?
Give me a headline for ONE INSTANCE that isn't muslim.
I call b.s. on this. Yashayah fulfilled the law. You live in a dispensation of grace. How discerning are you of this precious gift of grace? I guess you are scared? lol?
edit on 6-6-2012 by manna2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Uhhh...when's the last time you heard about this happening?

I think most people are pretty firmly rooted in their belief that mosaic law doesn't apply to christians, and even the jews are pretty clear on some things having been supplanted by later revelation or dependent on certain requirements (such as a good bit of the law that doesn't apply when there's no Temple in Jerusalem, depending on your station or situation, etc.).

Seriously - have you even heard of any jews EVER doing this? And it's actually their own scripture, still considered entirely valid for them (barring the qualifications I mentioned above).

So...what exactly was your point in this little PSA, since this is a complete non-issue in the first place?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by PeterWiggin
reply to post by GLontra

So...what exactly was your point in this little PSA, since this is a complete non-issue in the first place?

I'm obviously guessing, but I think his or her point was to say that people take these religions WAY too seriously, look up pastor Fred Phelps and his "God Hates F*gs" movement.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fairguy

Perhaps, but I'll respond with that by saying the Phelps (and other terrible examples of their faiths) don't take it seriously enough, seeing as how Jesus taught his followers to be humble, meek, non-judgmental, self-sacrificing, and so on.

Some people are, sadly...stupid. And this goes back to what I say quite a lot - even if you could completely do away with religion, you're still going to have people doing the exact same kind of stupid and cruel things - they'll just find a different banner to do it under.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by PeterWiggin

This is almost certainly true, even if it were possible to simply do away with religion, there would always be people around who would carry on their blind beliefs regardless. Phelps also claims that "God Hates..." what he doesnt realise is that (if god were real) he or she or even "it" would not be too fond either of these people proclaiming his, her, or "its" hate. Most likely the people reminding us all that "God hates F*gs" would have a first class ticket to hell (lol) before any homosexual on the planet.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
This is sickening and is one of the reasons i am no longer christian. Also, this "the lord your god" crap is sickening. Whyd they edit out his name?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I wonder who exactly advocated this kind of behavior and why.

Why should we kill each other for speaking of other Gods?

We are under control and trying to break free from this control. Whoever this came from wants to keep us controlled. I won't have it.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

reply to post by PeterWiggin

This is almost certainly true, even if it were possible to simply do away with religion, there would always be people around who would carry on their blind beliefs regardless. Phelps also claims that "God Hates..." what he doesnt realise is that (if god were real) he or she or even "it" would not be too fond either of these people proclaiming his, her, or "its" hate. Most likely the people reminding us all that "God hates F*gs" would have a first class ticket to hell (lol) before any homosexual on the planet.

Agreed! Granted, I read the bible a little differently than most (mainly by not interjecting the teachings and interpretation of Rome and whatnot), but to me it *seems* to say that god loves all his children, and will reward them according to what they've done - for some who have walked according to the example and will of Jesus, this means they receive the gift of eternal life (and I believe it may be entirely possible to do this even without consciously believing as such), while others just go to a second death after judgement - not eternal torment.

And to me, this seems fair. If the example of Christ is humility, kindness, meekness, peacemaking, etc. - then I don't really have much desire to be with people who don't follow it for the rest of eternity, if my faith is true...and I think such people might honestly be happier not having to live forever as well.

And I don't think Phelps and his sort are following that example...and I certainly wouldn't want to be trapped in eternity with him and his, unless they changed their stripes sincerely.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by phroziac
This is sickening and is one of the reasons i am no longer christian. Also, this "the lord your god" crap is sickening. Whyd they edit out his name?

I am still a christian myself, despite bad examples (pretty much as foretold...) - but the covering up of the Name bothers me as well, strange looks I get for calling him by it or no.

When it's used multiple thousands of times in the hebrew scriptures with the people being told to praise it, call out to it, and so forth...it seems the epitome of fraud to replace it with a simple title. The jewish "hedge around the law" drives me batty sometimes.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

I think this was before God gave Moses the ten commandments.
Until then murder could be justified under the law of Moses.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join