It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If evolution is not proven, why do we share 96% of our genetics with monkey?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myollinir
reply to post by Noncompatible

And this is from where? Some dude's website that he updates out of his mother's basement? Thanks for giving me the sub-wikipedia-quality website link, but this doesn't really validate any argument you're trying to support. Now just because scientists see similar gene matching from primates to human beings doesn't mean that it is THE CLEAR ANSWER that we are apes. We ARE similar yes, you can see it even visually, but we have no direct link.

I can look at clouds, see rain, look at marshmallows, and make the conclusion that marshmallows came from clouds because they seem similar in their make up. I might even go into detail and conduct DNA tests on them and prove that 97% of the genes in a cloud are also in a marshmallow - but does that mean that the marshmallow comes from the cloud?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

thanks for your time
edit on 6-6-2012 by Myollinir because: (no reason given)

Actually it is an accredited college source guess you never even checked it.
I chose a relatively simple and clear page so as not to confuse you.

British Museum Library

Try this one. Be warned it contains actual scientific papers and BIG words. Maybe have a grown up help you ?

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

We have evolved from apes...to a point.
Something else stepped in and created that spark we call humanity or human consciousness.
Whether that it was God or an advanced alien race is still a question that needs to be answered.

Evolution or Creationism?
I believe it's a little of both.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
This entire thread is a sad example of how much the education system sucks!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Really ? Just because someone argues that marshmallow and clouds have DNA doesn't mean.....

Oh wait...yes it does........ reminds me of :

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
This why is where science has been hijacked. There are those that would have us believe we are JUST overly smart monkeys. Monkeys who must do what they are told, or face violence to remind us we are "just overly smart monkeys" in order to con you into thinking you are just another employee, citizen, member, officer, and not a unique human being who is connected to something greater than any of the "gifts" they give you.

Where do ideas come from?
Where does curiosity come from?
Where do all of the things that make life interesting and worth living come from?

I don't know, but you will never find the answer within mainstream science. Why? Because mainstream science is ran by people who hate anything related to Religion so much, that you'd think it killed their best friend. i remember being told by my 11th grade science teacher that science is about using the human imagination to explore new things, new ideas, and, hopefully, prove old ideas wrong. "Modern" science is about working within certain mental paradigms to maintain funding. Anybody who tries to find new things that do not benefit the funders (I wonder who they could be
) are cut off from funding and their reputations are destroyed, if they happen to be so lucky as to not be found floating down a river, or have committed suicide by shooting themselves int he chest twice with a shotgun.

I would present evidence for my claims, but the evidence of your deception is locked in the basement of the Vatican

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by UltimateSkeptic1
I'm not sure your point has much logic.

The similar DNA doesn't preclude creationism, intelligent design, nor does it prove evolution.

How does 96% common DNA imply causation?

Though I believe in evolution, it would be reasonable to think that if a god had made us, he would've made us compatible with the earth and nature.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by albertabound

Not sure what this has to do with the subject matter.
However for curiosity.....I'll ask George.

P.S. I'm out .....It seems this is not the thread for rational discourse.
edit on 6-6-2012 by Noncompatible because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by albertabound
This why is where science has been hijacked. There are those that would have us believe we are JUST overly smart monkeys. Monkeys who must do what they are told, or face violence to remind us we are "just overly smart monkeys" in order to con you into thinking you are just another employee, citizen, member, officer, and not a unique human being who is connected to something greater than any of the "gifts" they give you.

Where do all of the things that make life interesting and worth living come from?

I don't know, but you will never find the answer within mainstream science. Why? Because mainstream science is ran by people who hate anything related to Religion so much, that you'd think it killed their best friend. i remember being told by my 11th grade science teacher that science is about using the human imagination to explore new things, new ideas, and, hopefully, prove old ideas wrong. "Modern" science is about working within certain mental paradigms to maintain funding. Anybody who tries to find new things that do not benefit the funders (I wonder who they could be
) are cut off from funding and their reputations are destroyed, if they happen to be so lucky as to not be found floating down a river, or have committed suicide by shooting themselves int he chest twice with a shotgun.

I would present evidence for my claims, but the evidence of your deception is locked in the basement of the Vatican

Why does our ability to think deep thoughts make us special? Birds have wings. Spiders make webs. Humans think. If you really think about it, our ability to comprehend big ideas is utterly insignificant when considering the overwhelming similarities we have to others creatures.

Humans have sex. Other animals have sex.
Humans take care of their young. Other animals take care of their young.
Humans eat, drink, poop, pea, yawn, run, sleep, work, fight, fear, love...
Other animals eat, drink, poop, pea, yawn, run, sleep, work, fight, fear, love...
The only difference is that we think deep thoughts about doing these things, whereas other animals just do them.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by starheart
reply to post by Barcs

I was reading the debate, and i felt that you still haven't answered Swan's question: how come we are the only one truly advanced specie on Earth. Even the most advanced ape can't do what we achieved till now. It only took us 12 000 years to go from an cave human to a flourishing and highly evolved specie, while we took 450 000 to go from an unconscious monkey to a semi-human, capable of minimal speech and only fire. Even dolphins can't do what we do. It is not religious to think that we were modified; it is logical if we compare everything.

I definitely don't deny the possibility of intervention/modification and believe it or not, I do agree with a lot of ancient astronaut theory, but there is plenty of speculation involved. The growth of civilization and technology isn't part of biological evolution. Hominid species have increased their intelligence slowly over the past 3 million years or so. Humans 12,000 years ago were pretty much just as smart as they are today, they just didn't have this huge database full of knowledge gathered through science. The biggest thing that lead to society becoming large and subsequently technologically advanced was agriculture. Once humans figured that out, society began to grow immensely, as larger populations could be sustained and humans eventually took over the world. More recently, population growth has spiked because of vaccines and the practice of medicine. The more people you have, the faster things like that develop. 12,000 years is just what written and discovered history tells us, but there could very well be ancient groups of hominids that have had similar success with technology. Homo erectus spread out all across Europe, Africa, and Asia. They were a successful species for a while, but met their demise around a million years back.

But to answer the question:

Why are humans the only advanced species on earth?

You can't pin point it exactly, but there are several possibilities.

1. Homo sapiens killed the other hominids off. (Giant race war?)

2. Homo sapiens' intelligence (or location) helped them survive the extinction level event(s) that killed off Neanderthal and others. It probably has to do with the several ice ages earth has been through in the past million years or so.

3. Homo sapiens simply survived and began occupying the niche that the older hominids once had. They couldn't adapt, we could. Higher intelligence means survival of the fittest (smartest).

One thing is true. neanderthal, denisovan and homo sapiens all shared the planet at the same time, and were similar in intellect. Do we really know exactly what went down to cause humans to be the sole surviving race? Nope. The main problem with the ice ages and glacial periods is that it wipes away a lot of the evidence. We might figure it out some day. I'd like to know the answer, as it's an important part our of history as a species. It's definitely one of my favorite subjects to think about. I hope I didn't over-answer the question.

Side note - From ancient ape to modern human was 6-8 million years, not 450,000. 450, is basically when the ancestors of Neanderthals split off into Europe and left homo sapien ancestors to evolve in Africa.
edit on 6-6-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Humans are the only species on this planet that can consciously influence their environment, and the environment of everything else, in anyway they want. We are the only species capable of creating heaven on earth or hell on earth. We are the only species that can destroy all life on earth with the press of a button.

I don't really believe in the Bible but when it says we were given dominion over the other animals and the planet I believe it is correct.

"Logic" and "reason" would indicate to me that we a little more than overly intelligent monkeys...just sayin'.

Anyways this all I have to say about this topic in regards to this thread. I don't want to derail the subject any further.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Sorry posted in wrong thread.
edit on 6-6-2012 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

reply to post by jiggerj

Humans are the only species on this planet that can consciously influence their environment, and the environment of everything else, in anyway they want. We are the only species capable of creating heaven on earth or hell on earth. We are the only species that can destroy all life on earth with the press of a button.

I don't really believe in the Bible but when it says we were given dominion over the other animals and the planet I believe it is correct.

"Logic" and "reason" would indicate to me that we a little more than overly intelligent monkeys...just sayin'.

Anyways this all I have to say about this topic in regards to this thread. I don't want to derail the subject any further.

I don't think our chat derails the topic. If we are close cousins to apes and monkeys, then acting like them can substantiate what our DNA tells us. And except for the ability to think deep thoughts, everything else we do - they do.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

I am willing to accept your point. After all, there are a lot of credible people behind it. However, it's the things they openly and blatantly hide from us that makes me skeptical of anything they say at all, they being the scientific community and those who fund it. Like how they suppress thousands of patents on free energy - energy that, according their "science", doesn't exist, because of "national security". Their are countess other things they hide for "national security", but you've been on this site long enough to know what those things are, I would hope.

I don't find it hard to believe that they would hide genetical engineering from us because it would "cause a panic" - laymen's terms: after one lie is exposed, the whole house of cards falls.

I don't know, man. I just don't know.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
were so advanced that millions are starving to death or being killed in wars every year ,fight each other over religion or colour not color . dont see many animals doing that .agent smith hit the nail on the head in the matrix when he looked down on us mammals ? theres an old saying about mushrooms not being the only thing kept in the dark & fed on # you just have to wonder at what got a monkey . mammal reptile fish pig banging away makes you wonder

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCelestialHuman

If you REALLY want an answer to that question, read the book of Jasher.

www.sacred-texts.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Organisms, to protect their genome utiliise anti oxidants to kurb free radical damage and yet when they breed
they can dump 50%? of their genome. Why ?
Does this mean each organism trusts the other organism to have a decent genome?
Is this evidence of consciousness at work in evolution as the other genome is aware that its mate will
be compatible?
Limbo

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AFewGoodWomen

We have evolved from apes...to a point.
Something else stepped in and created that spark we call humanity or human consciousness.
Whether that it was God or an advanced alien race is still a question that needs to be answered.

Evolution or Creationism?
I believe it's a little of both.

Exactly the point. We are both slightly from evolution, but after, we are really not. A star for you.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   

A star for you, albertabound.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Why does our ability to think deep thoughts make us special? Birds have wings. Spiders make webs. Humans think. If you really think about it, our ability to comprehend big ideas is utterly insignificant when considering the overwhelming similarities we have to others creatures.

Humans have sex. Other animals have sex.
Humans take care of their young. Other animals take care of their young.
Humans eat, drink, poop, pea, yawn, run, sleep, work, fight, fear, love...
Other animals eat, drink, poop, pea, yawn, run, sleep, work, fight, fear, love...
The only difference is that we think deep thoughts about doing these things, whereas other animals just do them.

How about advanced cities with buildings 800 meters high? How about the 9th Symphony? Ask a bird to do that.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

Yeah. I see. that. I see that Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time, Leonnard Susskind's String Theory, and Albert Einstein's Theory of relativity Makes you doubt.
You are wasting my limited time.
The media wants you to believe that you're only a monkey. Destruction of will and self-respect, see? First step for a police state. I will let you believe what you want to believe, and I will stop wasting my time talking to a wall of brick. I hope you believing whatever you believe will let you go a long way. See you.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join