It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Million Farmers Sue Monsanto for $7.7 Billion

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

Originally posted by g146541
How much in damages have they caused?
Even if it was just stressing a farmer, 7.7billion is a joke.

Ok, so if its a joke, what is a better solution? One lawsuit, like this, may spur others...

Thats not the answer you were upposed to provide.
This is YOUR thread and I would have hoped you would have known what this issue was about ( 2 % royalty payments) since I pointed out to you on page 3 that your blacklistednews source was no good.

Now, it seems everyone MISTAKENLY thinks this lawsuit is about "crimes", or "damages" .... which just goes to show that going back to the original source of the story is best.

Do you people want to "deny ignorance" or not?

edit on 6-6-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

So, none of these 5 million farmers has never been harmed or hassled by Monstersanto?
Maybe this is the only angle these farmers have to get at this HUGE machine.
Similar to how the feds got Capone, it was not the good stuff, but it worked.
So truly, what are they suing for?
Do you speak for all 5 million?
Still 7.7 billion is not enough.
I was under the assumption the OP knew this, nice of you telling him how to vote though.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

So, none of these 5 million farmers has never been harmed or hassled by Monstersanto?

Maybe they have, maybe they havnt. The news article doesnt say either way, and thats not what this lawsuit is about.

I gave the link to the AFP story before, but clearly I have to give it again, if we're now on page 5 and people still dont know what the lawsuit story is actually about.

This is part of a longer, ongoing story, going back many years, and really this news article is out of date anyway considering it relates to an April court date.

But this is the heart of the matter...

Since 2003-2004, Monsanto has demanded that producers of transgenic soy pay it two percent of their sales as crop royalties, Neri Perin, a representative of big producers, told AFP.
Lawyers for the producers say this means that their clients end up paying twice for the seed. "Monsanto gets paid when it sell the seeds. The law gives producers the right to multiply the seeds they buy and nowhere in the world is there a requirement to pay (again). Producers are in effect paying a private tax on production," said lawyer Jane Berwanger.
In April, a judge in the southern Brazilian state of Rio Grande do Sul, Giovanni Conti, ruled in favor of the producers and ordered Monsanto to return royalties paid since 2004 or a minimum of $2 billion.

I was under the assumption the OP knew this...

No, they didnt. They were linking to a third hand "chinese whispers" version.

edit on 6-6-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
IMO Monsanto is probably just trying to make modest money rather than massive profits. Usually unfair commercial actions eventually get remedied so I suppose the court case could go either way. Personally I think GMO food could come in handy when we begin terraforming and colonizing other planets- we could make plants that would make environmental conditions of planets suitable for human life. Possessing the experience now will help us greatly when such expansion of the human race is at hand.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I predict that the judge presiding over this case, will suddenly become exceedingly rich.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Monsanto indeed has to be reined in, this is obviously unfair to farmers. However, as a corporate entity Monsanto is doing whatever it needs to survive, grow, and feed it's investors. It appears to do whatever it wants because it is working within the confines of the current law. These companies are very intelligent in that they plant their people in the government so that policy is created in such a way that will not hinder the company's growth/survivable. It is like a parasite, but how can we exterminate this parasite without having to kill the host? But if we get rid of just the parasite without getting rid of the methods it used to get there then it will all be for nothing. Another parasite will immediately take its place. If Obama appointed a Monsanto czar in the US government then it is clear that he doesn't hold interest of the common people at heart, or else why would he do that? What common sense person that holds the interest of the people would do such a thing? The American people hold the power of the vote, to get rid of these parasites, but it's not quite working.... right? So this parasite is actually quite larger. I heard that society is just a reflection of ourselves.
edit on 6-6-2012 by TheIllusiveMan because: gfslkdjfdsjlkfj;sdfjdskljflsd;kjfsdlkj

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

YES! Bring down one of the heads of the Beast!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by longjohnbritches
reply to post by Iwinder

This is just a quick graphic in the link.
I wish I could post the graph.

Crossover: Monsanto & Government Officials « Eco Convert
ecoconvert.wordpress.com/2012/02/03/crossover-monsanto-government-officials/
Feb 3, 2012 ... Thanks for dropping by Eco Convert! Take a look around and grab the RSS ... Crossover: Monsanto & Government Officials. Filed under: Fight It ...

Thanks for posting that, I read that just a few weeks ago either here on a thread or on a news site.
I hope all the posters here take the time to click on your above link because it really does say it all in one easy to read graphic.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Get off your high horse. You enjoy trashing and trolling peoples threads, and I'm cool with that, its your opinion and since you obviously have nothing better to do, well I can;t stop you.

I thanked you for posting the AFP article, that doesn't mean i agree with your viewpoint. The lawsuit to me, shows that people are standing up against monsanto. Regardless of what news source YOU use, the fact is, Monsanto is cause damages ALL over the world and this in one, in fact the only real way beside some sort of violence, that something can be done. YOU forget that Monsanto is a huge company with the means to manipulate the media, governments, etc SO you can;t say that the AFP article is completely arccurate as well, can you?

Obviously you love Monsanto, and thats cool. You have that right.
All im going to say is look at the big picture here! They may potentially have to pay 7.7 billion, just the fact that they were served a suit with that much is an insight into what they are doing to the world.

They have 'patented' life, and now the farmers (yes they love growing it cause its easy) ARE TIRED of paying the royalties over and over again. They are getting screwed by Monsanto.. HELL, we are ALL getting screwed my Monsanto (even you, although it appears you are a monsanto lover and defender.. their GMO's are hurting you and your fellow man as we SPEAK!?!)

I'm sure you will have some sort of response that makes you appear all high and mighty, so go for it. I really don;t care what your opinion is, why you love monsanto so much or whatever. Say what you are gonna say and lets move on. You and I will not agree on this, regardless of your amazing quality of flaming just for the attention.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

reply to post by alfa1

I was under the assumption the OP knew this, nice of you telling him how to vote though.

Alfa1 may be a shill for monsanto?, I'm not sure. Yes he posted what he claims was the 'original' article but of course it does not describe the plight of the farmers, let alone anything bad about monsanto. His opinion is that Monsanto is doing the right thing and to let the Farmers continually pay over and over and over again for a crop that even if they wanted to get away from, is so aggresive that it would re-take their fields anyways.

Monsanto 'OWNS' that crop, it has patented the genes and as others have said, 'patented life'. We all know what they did in France,

Blatant Corruption Exposed as EU Blocks France's Ban on Monsanto's GMO Maize Among all the other issues with Monsanto, many are reported here on ATS, to me this Lawsuit is justified and reasonable and I hope its the first of many!

Alpha1 prides himself on being a corporate saviour by trying to dissect information so it looks favorable towards the corporation,, much like the 'chinese whisper' sites he claims do the same for the little guy. Its just the way the world works.. some people enjoy being downers and siding with large corporate entities that are trying to monopolise the whole food system on the planet. As much as I can;'t stand him or his attitude, i do commend him on saying his opinion, doing his research and trying to make me angry any chance he gets!
lol
edit on 6/6/2012 by Nspekta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

The GM genocide: Thousands of Indian farmers are committing ...
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1082559/The-GM-genocide-Thousands-Indian-farmer-commiting-suiside-after-using-geniticlly-modified-crops

Nov 2, 2008 ... When Prince Charles claimed thousands of Indian farmers were killing ... sprays milk-based paint on a Monsanto research soybean field near ...

Perhaps the seeds contains some suiside chemical
edit on 6/6/2012 by longjohnbritches because: link

edit on 6/6/2012 by longjohnbritches because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

reply to post by alfa1

Alfa1 may be a shill for monsanto?, I'm not sure. Yes he posted what he claims was the 'original' article but of course it does not describe the plight of the farmers, let alone anything bad about monsanto. His opinion is that Monsanto is doing the right thing and to let the Farmers continually pay over and over and over again for a crop that even if they wanted to get away from, is so aggresive that it would re-take their fields anyways.

Monsanto 'OWNS' that crop, it has patented the genes and as others have said, 'patented life'. We all know what they did in France,

Blatant Corruption Exposed as EU Blocks France's Ban on Monsanto's GMO Maize Among all the other issues with Monsanto, many are reported here on ATS, to me this Lawsuit is justified and reasonable and I hope its the first of many!

Alpha1 prides himself on being a corporate saviour by trying to dissect information so it looks favorable towards the corporation,, much like the 'chinese whisper' sites he claims do the same for the little guy. Its just the way the world works.. some people enjoy being downers and siding with large corporate entities that are trying to monopolise the whole food system on the planet. As much as I can;'t stand him or his attitude, i do commend him on saying his opinion, doing his research and trying to make me angry any chance he gets!
lol
edit on 6/6/2012 by Nspekta because: (no reason given)

Did you even read the thread? Did you read the articles? Do you know whats going on? All he did was point out the facts. The farmers like using Monsanto's. In this case they are not really screwing any one over they are abiding by laws witch regulate patents. This is just like downloading illegal music. Instead of music its seeds. The farmers buy Monsanto's seeds plant them, then take the seeds that the plant has produced and grows them again. Monsanto's is charging them because they are using the seeds witch the plant produced instead of buying more seeds.

With music it would be like buying a album, copying it and reselling it on a massive scale. I understand its a plant but its a plant that Monsanto's made and has patents on. In this particular situation, they are not braking the law or doing any thing wrong. If you want to make a big deal out of this then you should all so make a big deal out of musicians getting paid.

Sure Monsanto's is a BIG EVIL corporation bent on taking over the world. Like other posters said you control the food you control the world. They are killing the independent farmers. But in this case they are neutral because they are abiding by the law.

Remember this article is not about all the evil things they have done in the past.
edit on 6-6-2012 by Infi8nity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

I can't get the link to go directly to the article so here are some snips.

The GM genocide: Thousands of Indian farmers are committing suicide after using genetically modified crops

By Andrew Malone

When Prince Charles claimed thousands of Indian farmers were killing themselves after using GM crops, he was branded a scaremonger. In fact, as this chilling dispatch reveals, it's even WORSE than he feared.

The children were inconsolable. Mute with shock and fighting back tears, they huddled beside their mother as friends and neighbours prepared their father's body for cremation on a blazing bonfire built on the cracked, barren fields near their home.
Shankara became one of an estimated 125,000 farmers to take their own life as a result of the ruthless drive to use India as a testing ground for genetically modified crops.The crisis, branded the 'GM Genocide' by campaigners, was highlighted recently when Prince Charles claimed that the issue of GM had become a 'global moral question' - and the time had come to end its unstoppable march.Speaking by video link to a conference in the Indian capital, Delhi, he infuriated bio-tech leaders and some politicians by condemning 'the truly appalling and tragic rate of small farmer suicides in India, stemming... from the failure of many GM crop varieties'.

In one small village I visited, 18 farmers had committed suicide after being sucked into GM debts. In some cases, women have taken over farms from their dead husbands - only to kill themselves as well.

Latta Ramesh, 38, drank insecticide after her crops failed - two years after her husband disappeared when the GM debts became too much.

edit on 6/6/2012 by longjohnbritches because: link

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle. Still $7.7 billion claim from 5 million seems like a peanut reward for peasants. Monsanto will probably pay the fine after pleading "no contest" and the media will hush up soon after.

GMO seems like an area of valid and necessary research but too much risk taking is bad under the promise of increased profits for its shareholders. An infiltrated government simply rubber stamps nearly everything with little regard of future health risk complications.

Capitalism, especially state capitalism, is the root of all evil!

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Monsanto is already prepared for big protests against them:

A report by Jeremy Scahill in The Nation (Blackwater's Black Ops, 9/15/2010) revealed that the largest mercenary army in the world, Blackwater (now called Xe Services) clandestine intelligence services was sold to the multinational Monsanto.
Source

scary...

Edit: Oops, it was a translation error (by pravda)...nobody seems to know, who bought Blackwater:
redgreenandblue.org...

edit on 6.6.2012 by grobi77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by EarthCitizen07

Key Word---- State Capitalism = Communism

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

If the indian farmers were suing Monsanto Inc. for crop failure reimbursement, suicide and/or violent pscychological trauma THEN shouldn't they be claiming trillions rather than $7.7 billion? Perhaps they can't organise the class action suit appropriately which means they need better attornies.

This is what happens with "too big to fail" business. I know it sounds very cliche but still it IS the truth. When business makes so much profit they can afford to effectively lobby most governments and the judicial process itself becomes corrupt.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

So you are saying both the ex-USSR and the USA are communist?

I think you are incredibly wrong in this regard! State capitalism is when the government has been infiltrated by "too big to fail" business and they BOTH work together to protect each other. In effect it is the government and business AGAINST everyone else.

Communism may have been very oppressive and boring but there was no state capitalism. Contrarily america and europe are rife with state capitalism.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

I thanked you for posting the AFP article, that doesn't mean i agree with your viewpoint.

Wherever possible, an in whatever thread, my "viewpoint" is that the truth and reality of a situation must be known before anyone can have any kind of informed opinion.

Regardless of what news source YOU use, the fact is, Monsanto is cause damages ALL over the world

Absolutely true also.
I have no love for Monsanto, but it amazes me that with all the bad things they have done, people have to make up falsehoods and fictional stories about Monsanto and attack those instead of the truth.

Elsewhere is the story about how Monsanto sales reps in India are lying to farmers about the prices and capabilities of the seeds they sell, causing (in part) suicides of the farmers. Now THAT is a truth about Monsanto worth attacking.

Why is it that people have decided to spend time attacking fiction instead?
The fiction about "they dont allow GMO in their own cafeteria", as another good example.

They have 'patented' life...

Like here, another one. Monsanto have, in this case, patented ONLY the function of Roundup herbicide resistance, not "life". So why do you say this?
As I said before, attack the REAL things that Monsanto has done, and not spend your time attacking fiction.
Attack the heavy lobbying they do in politics and the back room deals that put Michael Taylor in place. Attack the environmental polution from their plants around the world. Attack the false advertising they've told about their product.

Attack all those things but do NOT attack made up fairy stories.

Thats all I ask.

Its a big ask, I know. I get called a "shill" and accused of "loving Monsanto" for asking this.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

So you are saying both the ex-USSR and the USA are communist?

I think you are incredibly wrong in this regard! State capitalism is when the government has been infiltrated by "too big to fail" business and they BOTH work together to protect each other. In effect it is the government and business AGAINST everyone else.

Communism may have been very oppressive and boring but there was no state capitalism. Contrarily america and europe are rife with state capitalism.

So you are saying all the soviet commies just went off pickin dasies?

I am thinking folks that did things like this are Monsanto type folks--

Desiccation of the Aral Sea: A Water Management Disaster in ...
www.ciesin.org/docs/006-238/006-238.html - Similarto Desiccation of the Aral Sea: A Water Management Disaster in ...

The Aral Sea in the Soviet Union, formerly the world's fourth largest lake in area, is disappearing. Between 1960 and 1987, its level dropped nearly 13 meters, ...

BTW there is no longer a USSR.
edit on 6/6/2012 by longjohnbritches because: ussr

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join