It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Million Farmers Sue Monsanto for $7.7 Billion

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+71 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

www.blacklistednews.com

Launching a lawsuit against the very company that is responsible for a farmer suicide every 30 minutes, 5 million farmers are now suing Monsanto for as much as 6.2 billion euros (around 7.7 billion US dollars). The reason? As with many other cases, such as the ones that led certain farming regions to be known as the ‘suicide belt’, Monsanto has been reportedly taxing the farmers to financial shambles with ridiculous royalty charges. The farmers state that Monsanto has been unfairly gathering ex
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
naturalsociety.com
www.dvorak.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Blatant Corruption Exposed as EU Blocks France's Ban on Monsanto's GMO Maize

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Oh Monsanto,,, Hopefully this is the start of the end of this horrible company!

Hard to believe that Monsanto causes the suicide of farmer every 30 minutes?!

Jane Berwanger, a lawyer for the farmers who went on record regarding the case, told the Associted Press:

“Monsanto gets paid when it sell the seeds. The law gives producers the right to multiply the seeds they buy and nowhere in the world is there a requirement to pay (again). Producers are in effect paying a private tax on production.”

So, Monsanto sells the seeds, makes a profit. Then the producers must pay again when they multiply the seeds..

Because Monsanto owns the very patent to the genetically modified seed, and is charging the farmers not only for the original crops, but the later harvests as well.

It is for this reason that India slammed Monsanto with groundbreaking ‘biopiracy’ charges in an effort to stop Monsanto from ‘patenting life’.

Biopiracy sounds perfectly fitting! Monsanto seems to do be able to do whatever they want, even when populations stand up to them! Check it out:
www.abovetopsecret.com... - Blatant Corruption Exposed as EU Blocks France's Ban on Monsanto's GMO Maize

So, good to see these farmers trying to put a stop to this. Hopefully a 7.7 Billion dollar lawsuit wakes people up to the issue and possibly will make Monsanto and governments think first about allowing them to do whatever they want!

Here is another article:

Five million Brazilian farmers are locked in a lawsuit with US-based biotech giant Monsanto, suing for as much as 6.2 billion euros. They say that the genetic-engineering company has been collecting royalties on crops it unfairly claims as its own.
- www.dvorak.org...

Monsanto is EVIL!

Thoughts?!

www.blacklistednews.com

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Quite right, hope justice is done here.

Farmers farm, corporations rule, always good to see the little people fighting back.
edit on 5-6-2012 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I liked this picture from this article

Sooo true!

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

www.blacklistednews.com

Launching a lawsuit against the very company that is responsible for a farmer suicide every 30 minutes, 5 million farmers are now suing Monsanto for as much as 6.2 billion euros (around 7.7 billion US dollars). The reason? As with many other cases, such as the ones that led certain farming regions to be known as the ‘suicide belt’, Monsanto has been reportedly taxing the farmers to financial shambles with ridiculous royalty charges. The farmers state that Monsanto has been unfairly gathering ex

Related News Links:
naturalsociety.com
www.dvorak.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Blatant Corruption Exposed as EU Blocks France's Ban on Monsanto's GMO Maize

Hi Nspekta,

S+F superb news that the MONSANTO DEMONS are being sued.

Being sued is too good for them! They ALL need to be hunted down and hung from the nearest lamp pole!

That won't bring back the dead farmers and customers who's bodies are ruined by GMO!

For heavens sake people, check your labels - don't accept any GMO ingredients in your food!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Glad this is happening. I keep thinking though....they lose in court and they stay active. They have so much money at their disposal they can pay every case brought to them and still change the food supply so they control it.

That is what this is about. Food supply. They envision a future where seeds only last one season. Like fashion. Every year you will buy their Franken seeds and not be able to grow them yourself.

When they are responsible for every bit of food you bring to your mouth, they can simply say one day "do or we won't produce more food"

Then we are slaves. well more so than now.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Monsanto Used every dirty trick in the book...
described as

aggressive, unscrupulous and false source

Monsanto actually hired Hollywood actors of Indian descent to sell
the GMO seeds to Indian farmers!

The BBC's 'Bitter Harvest' series recently exposed how Monsanto makes use of the Hindu epic
the Ramayana in its advertisements for Hindu farmers in South India, while using Guru Nanak
in its sales pitch to Sikh farmers in the Punjab.

Now, amidst all the controversy over the bitter harvest from its GM cotton, Monsanto has hired
Bollywood style king Nana Patekar to try and give a bit of glamour to its products.

Patekar says he is supporting Monsanto's Bt cotton (Bollgard) because of all the suicides
involving pesticides among cotton farmers, and because "the government has given clearance
to the [GM] technology and it must have considered all angles". www.gmwatch.org...

www.lobbywatch.org...

www.youtube.com...

Here is Bitter Seeds:

Bitter Seeds explores the future of how we grow things, weighing in on the worldwide debate over the changes created by industrial agriculture. Companies like the U.S.-based Monsanto claim that their genetically modified (GM) seeds offer the most effective solution to feeding the world's growing population, but on the ground, many small-scale farmers are losing their land. Nowhere is the situation more desperate than in India, where an epidemic of farmer suicides has claimed over a quarter million lives. Every 30 minutes one farmer in India, deep in debt and unable to provide for his family, commits suicide.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 5-6-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that only $1500 per farmer? Not much of a statement.

+10 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I consider Monsanto to be one of the most evil forces allowed to run amok in the world today. To allow such a monstrous leviathan of a corporation to genetically alter our food supply and patent the seeds, thereby screwing up the entire biosphere is beyond comprehension. They are like children playing with a chemistry set. They need to be stopped.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
GO farmers. Monsanto is making me so angry about the evil and greed on this planet. The information that farmers commit suicide around every 30 min is making me so angry at monsanto. If i could i would make monsanto eat their crops until they turn to vegtables themselves.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Good job Farmers!

This evil company needs to be stopped.

It reminds me of the sinister Umbrella Corporation in Resident Evil

Thank you for the post!
edit on 5-6-2012 by Jeedawg because: Typo

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Monsanto is doing all this to stop world hunger, so stop the flaming guys!
They're actually good guys!

Go back to your aspartame laced coke puuuuhleaaaze

But on a more serious note, Monsanto enrages me to a point i could set every factory/plant that is Monsanto owned on fire.

Burn it to the godforsaken ground.

They're genetically engineering what took millions of years to evolve naturally.

And for the record, nature does it a whole lot better then Monsanto does.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Monsanto = biological terrorism.

How about using the NDAA for Monsanto and their employees?

Me likes the sound of that.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
Monsanto is doing all this to stop world hunger, so stop the flaming guys!
They're actually good guys!

Oh wow, that made me crack up!

On another note, i read this article where it says hey have recently announced that they will bring Arctic Apples to Canada...

The GMO apple is called: The Arctic Apple -with GMO germ, and is owned by Neal Carter a bio-engineer in the biotech industry. Read more: www.politicolnews.com...

The President of Okanagan Specialty Fruits Inc is proposing Canadian fruit growers introduce genetically modified apples so they don’t turn brown... Read more: www.politicolnews.com...

I can't believe these companies are willing to spend $$$ on genetically engineering fruit so that they dont turn brown.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Monsanto isn't allowed to do business in many, many countries outside the USA due to their business practices.

It just goes to show that when you are allowed to BRIBE ("lobby") officials into letting you do your thing, it works.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
If people boycotted the stores that supply Monsanto's GM frankenfoods it would be a real game changer. The court case is great news. But it would take a battle on multiple fronts to slay the Leviathan.

At the end of the day the food retailers are there to make a profit. It is consequently within the means of all citizens around the world to hit back at this hideous technology.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

I already do it, in order to boycott their manufactured crap you have to stay away from anything that is manufactured, frozen, canned and mass produced.

I travel 2 hours and half just to get natural grown products and raw milk grass feed cows.

I refuse to support them or anybody that sell their crap.

But don't even think that we can get any help from the corporate dictatorship we call government because the biggest whore of all Obama appointed recently a monspanto minion to food Czar, so the criminal crocks are already and has been in our government

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
If people boycotted the stores that supply Monsanto's GM frankenfoods it would be a real game changer. The court case is great news.

That is the best thing to do for the average person. Stop giving our money and support to these people.

I've been very active in boycotting products from China (really hard to do) and all GMO. I have a garden started this year which i haven't done before but am dedicated to do from now on. Buying produce from local farmers is also a good thing to do over the supermarket produce which is probably GMO.

A somewhat good way to know if your supermarket produce is GMO is to read the 4 or 5 digit code on the little sticker.

A 5-digit Price Look-Up code beginning with the digit 8 indicates genetically modified food.[75] However the absence of the "8" does not necessarily indicate the food is not genetically modified since no retailer to date has elected to use the digit in voluntarily labeling genetically modified foods. Wikipedia.com

But, like i said it's a 'somewhat' good way to know... The best thing to do is take control of your own food, read labels and do your own research.

edit on 5-6-2012 by Jeedawg because: typo

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043 & Jeedawg

That's a very rousing Amen. *shakes hands*

It needs research, as you say, Jeedawg, and that tidbit makes a good starter. Then what's required is a serious media campaign, leaflets outside stores and every other legal means to publicise the importance of this issue, and how people have it within their power to say NO MORE.

Great to see it's started at the grassroots level.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
More information is available by following the links, and in this case checking the links is a good idea. It wasn't until I found the RT link that I learned the farmers suing were in Brazil. The article has a lot of valuable information on how GM seeds came to Brazil and the effects of it.

Genetically engineered soy first appeared illegally in Brazil in the 1990’s, smuggled in from neighboring Argentina. The Brazilian farmers found the seed attractive despite the ban in place from the Brazilian authorities because Monsanto had specifically designed the seed to be resistant to its own immensely powerful and popular herbicide Roundup.

When used in tandem, the strong herbicide will kill the weeds while allowing the soy crops to grow unimpeded. After the ban was lifted, genetically modified seed flooded the Brazilian market, and now 85 per cent of the Brazilian soy crop is genetically-engineered. Soy has been extremely successful in Brazil, currently making up 26 per cent of the country’s farm exports last year and netting Brazil a total of $24.1 billion, according to AP.
www.rt.com...

The source also linked to a 2008 article that discussed the situation in India. Daily Mail - India - GM crops It paints a more multi-dimensional picture of the situation there.

I'm not taking a position, just trying to highlight some sources provided that didn't come from the alternative media and which might be interesting.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join