It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Public Bathroom Shyness(Pee Shyness)?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I try to save my gas for the rest room urinals. I go in flop little ga out then let one of the biggest farts I can. Then look around and say "sorry wrong end" and smile. One things for sure you will have your privacy

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Do you people train your bodies or what? how can you only use a public toilet for crapping a couple of times in your life do you never go out or barely eat.
I don't have shy problems I have gripe problems as in I have a gripe with:
Why guys are such animals I mean it's not that hard to not piss everywhere.
Why people think it's funny to crap all over the bowl.
Why people need to groan so much when having a crap. If it takes that much effort you didn't need to be in a filthy WC.
Girls I take camping & have to take to a servo cause they can't crap in a hole even when it has been days and they are crying.
If you have shy problems don't go to Asia, I spent years there and lots of places guys and girls same room and cubicles don't have doors, you walk in looking for a place to go and just see guys and girls squatting over a hole or washing themselves with their hand, kind of unnerving first time round. You see a chick going and just want to apologize for looking then realise THERE IS NO DOOR how can I check if it's vacant without looking.
If you want worse when I was in PNG a lot of people had never seen a whitey and there was no dunny so u go in the bush with everyone crowding round loling & talking as they wait to see if you look and act the same as them.
One woman started crying hysterically cause of this & the locals couldn't understand why then 1 of the ladies brought her some constipation medicine cause she thought that was why she was crying lol nothing to do with the 30 odd half naked tribes people staring at her trying to take a dump.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
While in the Navy, I had a friend with a similar issue. The difference was that every time after he went to the bathroom he HAD to take a shower, He was diagnosed with a mild form of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder).

The strange thing about his OCD was that was his only issue (the need to shower after using the bathroom). Many OCD diagnosed persons have multiple issues but not this guy.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   
To be perfectly frank, it sounds to me like somebody has stigmatized and made into a disorder a very normal human condition. I think there's something about a stranger catching you in a rather delicate situation that would arouse the "reptile brain".

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DetectiveT
reply to post by borntowatch

So that was you I saw? Seriously, I saw some dude drop his pants and undies to his ankles and lift his shirt when he went to the urinal. Lets just say the rest of us in there hurried out leaving just a little more confused than we entered.

As for helping out the problem of being pee shy try what I do when I want to feel like I'm isolated and need to focus at any given time. Picture yourself in a large empty black cube. There is no noise, there are no people nor anything else for that matter. Just keep repeating to yourself I'm alone. You may want to work on it at home before you try it in the field. It will help if you remember the relaxed feeling you get when you are home.

You were in Somalia, shoulda caught up.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by sparrowstail

Okay this is slightly off-topic, but no such Seinfeld episode exists! There is a conversation where George claims he can tell you the best public restroom anywhere in the city..and Jerry challenges him by naming a few streets.

There is also another episode where Kramer frantically searches throughout the cityscape for a public restroom but fails to find one that will accommodate him.

Wow, it's really bad that I know that.

Anyway, back to the OP..I have a similar problem if only one or two people are in the public restroom with me. I go up to the urinal ready to go and someone else will come stand next to me and I can't do it. I have to "fake" my urination, flush, and get out of there in a terrible state of shame.

Ever been to a major sports stadium where you have those multiple-user urinals (Jeez, I hope you know what I'm talking about so it doesn't sound crazy)? I HATE those. It's like a big basin for multiple people to pee in at the same time. Good Lord!

You're certainly not alone, OP..but when it comes to public bathrooms, I wish i was.
edit on 5-6-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by sparrowstail

Anyway, back to the OP..I have a similar problem if only one or two people are in the public restroom with me. I go up to the urinal ready to go and someone else will come stand next to me and I can't do it. I have to "fake" my urination, flush, and get out of there in a terrible state of shame.

You're certainly not alone, OP..but when it comes to public bathrooms, I wish i was.
edit on 5-6-2012 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

omg the fake flushing and the shame.... i have done it...

stand by urinals, get uncomfortable, fake flush, go to faucet, pretend to wash hands until the person leaves, then proceed to piss again. shame shame shame...

But pissing is not a problem with me, as long as someone is not too close to me or talk to me, but sadly workplaces don't have 20 urinals like commercial areas has but if i start the peeiing process than i'm good. Its the start that gives problem lol.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

I went into a bathroom in Central Park one day. Walk in, look at the first stall. No doors on those stalls. And some guy is sitting there doing his thing. Either he really doesn't care or he really had to go. I could never do that.

Made eye contact with him though. That was awkward.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
There are lots of women like this, and it seems to be contagious. If I work on a floor with a couple of women like this, most of the women will start becoming "bathroom shy." While if I work on a floor where there is one or no women like this everyone is very practical.

Early last year I was on a floor with a couple of women like this and it was starting to "spread." People waiting in stalls until the room was empty. I started to joke about it to relieve the tension and it worked.

Mentioned it loudly to another women on the floor and joked about wanting to yell in the bathroom, "Its OKAY! I got your back! You go! Everything is gonna be alright!"

It is an interesting culture we live in where people feel free to do the most outrageous sexual exposure, but are terrified of farting in the bathroom.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SibylofErythrae
There are lots of women like this, and it seems to be contagious. If I work on a floor with a couple of women like this, most of the women will start becoming "bathroom shy." While if I work on a floor where there is one or no women like this everyone is very practical.

Early last year I was on a floor with a couple of women like this and it was starting to "spread." People waiting in stalls until the room was empty. I started to joke about it to relieve the tension and it worked.

Mentioned it loudly to another women on the floor and joked about wanting to yell in the bathroom, "Its OKAY! I got your back! You go! Everything is gonna be alright!"

It is an interesting culture we live in where people feel free to do the most outrageous sexual exposure, but are terrified of farting in the bathroom.

AH maybe it could be contagious but i think the fear spread thru that wont last long either, i think some people just get that out of nowhere, if i remember right, it happeneds around when i was 12-14yrs old.. puberty? coincidence? hmmm

By the way, Do you know where you avatar is from?
i loved that anime, its harsh and no sugarcoating, includes various realities of life and no happy ending.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I haven't watched anime for years - I'm still scarred from the one with tentacled sex robots. I just liked the picture.

Self-conscious Fear spreads for sure, but some people just have it. "Shy bladder." Like one's bladder has its own consciousness separate from oneself.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Doesn't every anime have tentacled robots? Anyway, I almost forgot about the only thing worse than public restroom shyness.

And that's old-style outhouses built out of wood in the middle of the forest where GIANT spiders dwell in the dark because there's no electric light. I went camping with a buddy of mine up north Minnesota and I had to use the restroom after eating some White Castle and waiting about a 2 hour drive to get up to the woods. Now I'm a city boy and was I ever in for a surprise to see the biggest dad'gum (no, I don't really say things like that) spider I've ever seen sitting suspended in a web right over the bowl.

Well, I also learned that I'm shy in front of giant spiders sitting in the bowl and that I'd rather do my business in the middle of a rain and thunder storm than risk the spider.

Oh, great, we'll probably have a bathroom horror story writing contest now.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Tentacled sex stalker robots. Gotta be specific.

There is a theory that females are often afraid of things that are under them and males of things across from them. So little girls are often afraid of the "thing in the toilet" or the "thing under the bed" while boys are afraid of "the thing in the closet." I've read that this might be left over programming from pre-consciousness when males of slept on the ground and females in trees.

So I guess that the spider told you why the girls are afraid of the "thing in the toilet."

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SibylofErythrae

Haha interesting about the primal fears. I guess that makes me a woman since the spider wasn't lateral to the toilet. And why were the men sleeping on the ground and the women in the trees? That's harsh.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by NarcolepticBuddha
reply to post by SibylofErythrae

Haha interesting about the primal fears. I guess that makes me a woman since the spider wasn't lateral to the toilet. And why were the men sleeping on the ground and the women in the trees? That's harsh.

Who wants to sit on a damn spider? Nom Nom.

The sleeping arrangement thing is some conjecture I've read. My guess would be that this was a trait variation in human ancestor's tribes, much like the difference in "culture" between the types of chimpanzees.

The consistent population narrowing events explain this quite well. The species and ancestral species have consistently been in a state of being extincted. Preservation of the species requires females, and development of the capacity to birth and bring up babies redirects growth from strength to reproduction and requires a greater investment of time and body resources. Females are a restriction point in population growth.

With the physical mismatch dilmemma between intelligence and the capacity to have intelligenct progeny (huge metabolic demands, infants born at a point that in most mammals would be a fetal stage...), females generally have a natural limit for children between 3 and 20 children. If you look at most societies without much medical intervention you'll find that many women die early and that many children die, leaving a final tally per fertile woman about 3-5.

Species continuation, and continuation of genetic lines of increasing sapience requires more females during periods of population narrowing. Meaning that males with sapient traits would be showing interest in preservation of qualities of sapience. Protecting the females they get pregnant, and their offspring.

Tah-Dah. Why'd God pick your tribe of chimpanzees when your tribe of chimpanzees is prone to extinction? Signs of sapience. (okay that parts just mine.)

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   
I'm an anthro major by the way. Physical anthro and primatology isn't exactly my strong suit. But it still amazes me how within that voluminous description--you still didn't answer my question

I'm just teasing though. I guess I should have phrased it better--Why didn't the males get up in the trees too? Maybe the females were afraid of the males sleeping on the ground below!

But yeah, I never heard that theory before--thanks for sharing it. Evolutionary psychology is something that is interesting, but difficult to put too much stock into because of all the speculation and backward investigation.

posted on Jun, 7 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

You rather they do it in public?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join