It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disaster Meals; Food for Emergency Situations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
While i was reviewing my food supplies ..
i had a though about all the other stuff we usualy have around the kitchen

Just found an interesting site about disaster situation quick easy meal Link
(See below for the list of meal)

Are you prepared for a disaster? From tornadoes in the summer to earthquakes anytime to hurricanes in the fall and blizzards in the winter, Mother Nature can take us by surprise. Take some time and think about your own emergency preparedness and disaster survival preparation.

•Canned and dried foods can really come to the rescue in these situations. Purchase low sodium varieties and store them in a cool, dry place, making sure that you mark the purchase date on the product.
•Collect easy recipes that use these foods and store them right by the foods, along with basic utensils like a can opener, bowls, spoons, and plates.
•There are lots of shelf-stable items that are not canned. Look for juice boxes, stock and broth in boxes, dried fruits and snack items, and others that can be stored without refrigeration.
•Rotate your stock of canned and dried foods occasionally to be sure that your supply is fresh.

From my part i have a sealed box with:

-16 cans of fruit (4 pack of 4)
-3 box of Energy bars (18)
-6 box of Butter biscuits (3 pack for 2$)
-Different dry soup and noodles that just need water to add

and

-1 box full of ramen at 30cent each (30)
Do you have a supply of ramen noodles in your prep stores?,
That thread from MI5edtoDeath helped me in the decision to buy at least a box
thank you mate

-200 L of water bottles
with a bug out bag (see thread below)

They certainly can be eatable even after 2-3 yrs

The reserve i made should be enought to help myself survive for (1-2 months)
and / or people around me that are in trouble (1 week)
that didnt listen to those many advices out there to be better prepared then not be

After my reserve are gone i will have no choice to improvise day by day
will not buy more... and its enought to pack my car quickly in less then 5 min
if i have to go fast .. the most usefull stuff will be with me

I believe in a SHTF scenario .. the reserve i have accumulated are the basic needs for everyone
im not rich but i felt it was very important in the time we live in to have those necessities
im ready to help anyone who will need what i have if the SHTF
you will become useless if you dont have proper reserve .. this is important people

Dont depend to much on the grocery stores near your house
if there is a crash they will be the first to be affected and everyone will have the same idea
to go buy food at the last minute in those stores

This is my third thread about survival stuff

ATS Preppers : The Time is Critical .. How big is your Reserve ? Share your Tricks !!,

Do you have your Survival / Preppers Kit ready ?? Time to share mine

Its never to late until its to late
Help me spread this clear message to everyone ..
been doing that for quite sometime now (friend, familly and ATS)
i cannot stress enought the importance of this

if you didnt make reserves .. the basic stuff everyone have in their kitchen
can be delicious and simple recipes that will help you survive

List of Disaster Recipes

Bean and Tuna Salad

This salad is delicious, even when it's not an emergency! It's also colorful and very good for you too.

Peanut Butter Granola Wrap Sandwiches

These crunchy and creamy wrap sandwiches are super easy to make and delicious.

Updated Peanut Butter Sandwiches

Carrots, sunflower seeds, and currants add crunch, texture, and nutrition to a simple peanut butter sandwich.

Butter Bean Salad

You could use any canned bean in this excellent recipe; black beans or red beans would be delicious. And add any canned meat for hungry appetites

Tuna Pizza

Mashed white beans, combined with some seasonings, make an excellent pizza sauce for this flavorful pizza. Boboli crusts are another great ingredient that stores well at room temperature

Coconut Fruit Salad

Any canned fruit is delicious in this super simple salad. Serve it in ice cream cones for a treat to raise spirits.

Kris' Famous Sweet Potato Salad

I love this salad; it's suave and savory. You can also use it as a sandwich spread or dip. Buy small jars of salad dressing or mayonnaise for your emergency pantry for this and other salad recipes.

Salmon and Potato Salad

Use pouches of salmon instead of cans if you'd like; the fish in that packaging does not have skin or bones. Serve this salad in pita breads for an easy lunch.

Couscous Chicken Salad

You do need boiling water for this salad, unless you can find a brand of couscous that rehydrates in cold water.

Pantry Gazpacho

This flavorful gazpacho is very satisfying. It can be heated if you'd like, and served hot.

Brown Bread Sandwiches

Canned brown bread is a great item for your emergency stash. It can be used in other recipes too; try it with the Sweet Potato Salad as a filling.

Instant Cup-Of-Soup

This soup can be simply rehydrated with boiling water, but if you aren't in an emergency situation, the flavor is better if the mix and water are microwaved or simmered together. Flavor the mix any way you'd like.

And the list continu on the main link with other simple recipes
you dont need to print them up ... but remember how easy it is to eat simple meals
because when they are no more in a SHTF scenario .. when the reserve are gone
you will need to hunt, eat insects and plants around you just to survive
if you dont find any fruit or vegetable

In a SHTF situation .. never give out hope and always survive
and hold on to faith

This is my last survival thread
share your small and easy recipes if you have other ideas

Thanks for reading and warning others about the risks of not being prepared
edit on 6/3/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
yeah
you won't starve to death

but all that Sodium might kill ya

not to mention the all that MSG
playing havoc of your nervous system.

I even stopped by canned stuff because of BPA's

I guess you can Argue that when TSHTF
you'll eat dog food if your starving ...

can't remember where ...
but somebody said canned Dog food was the best Survival food

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing those recipes!

The most important item I have discovered while surviving those situations....

A can opener.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

I will eat dog food before insects thats for sure

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ben81

if its gotten that bad
I may mix the 2 together

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I like this thread OP. I have really neglected stocking up on food. I need to start. I'm going to delve into those recipes. Om nom nom. I have a thing for strange food. I make ramen noodle sandwiches sometimes. Don't you dare judge me!

So in my state (WA) grocery stores have just been given the green light to sell hard booze. There isn't much left on the shelves of my local QFC. It's weird, liquor store two doors down, QFC shelves going empty. Any threat of a natural disaster etc. and there is a run on basics. It really would be smart for all of us to buy up a few months worth of non perishable food. If cost is an issue, buy something extra to put away every month.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender

Originally posted by Ben81

if its gotten that bad
I may mix the 2 together

You are right .. proteine is the most important nutriment after water
eating plants and grass all the time will make you weak

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
NIce list of recipes and pretty good read. Thanks

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I like this thread OP. I have really neglected stocking up on food. I need to start. I'm going to delve into those recipes. Om nom nom. I have a thing for strange food. I make ramen noodle sandwiches sometimes. Don't you dare judge me!

So in my state (WA) grocery stores have just been given the green light to sell hard booze. There isn't much left on the shelves of my local QFC. It's weird, liquor store two doors down, QFC shelves going empty. Any threat of a natural disaster etc. and there is a run on basics. It really would be smart for all of us to buy up a few months worth of non perishable food. If cost is an issue, buy something extra to put away every month.

Damn .. this is what scares me the most .. all those empty shelves
we have everything money can buy in those stores right now

but just imagine if there is a trucker strike or no more gas in the stations
the first that will be affected and run out of supply in case of a event
will be the grocery stores .. many will panic fast if the shelves are empty
it will drive many to steal if nobody have generosity

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I have been lucky enough to get a small dehydrator and a vac-pac machine. One thing I learned is that I can put back pack meals together for half of store prices, and the shelf life seems very good.

Some of the tricks I have learned are drying cooked rice. Comes out as instant rice only needing to be put in boiling water and let set for 5 minutes afterward. Not having to be boiled for 20 minutes. Saves alot of fuel are cooking wood.

Also drying canned cheese soup to a powder makes for a very good base for dryed rice and ham soup are potatoes and ham are chicken.

As for Romen Noodles, as bad as I hate to say it I can't live without them at home much less as survival food.

Another hint too, when dehydrating,slices that are equal in size dry much easier. We picked up a cheap meat slicer at Harbor Freight for 25 bucks and it has lasted two years. Makes veggy slicing much quicker and eaiser.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I have a small stock pile of food.
First check the expiration dates on the food.
Canned chicken,bean soup mixes,rice is a start.
Throw some ramen noodles in there to.
Some salt and pepper,and some chicken bullion cubes also for taste.
Batteries for a small radio and flash light.
Some candles.
And lighters.

The three things on the top of the list are really just shelter,water and fire.

Food will come later.

This is all short term.A week or two max..

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I've been so bad about storing food, like canned foods and water. However, in my bug out bag I wanted food that was light to carry, but would still last awhile for multiple people... so I have:

-rice
-alot of peanuts in the shells, for protein
-those mash potato flakes, just add water! not too healthy, but hey
-water purification drops, so I don't have to carry tons of water

I put all of these in zip lock bags and suctioned the air out.

Then I have a collapse-able pot and a bunch of homemade stove things ----> you take an empty tuna can and cut strips of cardboard the height of the can. Then you coil them up inside the can. Then pour melted wax to the brim and viola, light it up and it's a little mini stove, or candle/heat

That's it so far...It's a small start-- good post

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Disaster meals, happens almost every night here according to my kids.

I like to use ramen noodles with extra virgin olive oil, canned peas, garlic powder, red wine vinegar and black pepper. Throw out the MSG flavor packet.
edit on 6/3/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: add something

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by David134
I have been lucky enough to get a small dehydrator and a vac-pac machine. One thing I learned is that I can put back pack meals together for half of store prices, and the shelf life seems very good.

Some of the tricks I have learned are drying cooked rice. Comes out as instant rice only needing to be put in boiling water and let set for 5 minutes afterward. Not having to be boiled for 20 minutes. Saves alot of fuel are cooking wood.

Also drying canned cheese soup to a powder makes for a very good base for dryed rice and ham soup are potatoes and ham are chicken.

As for Romen Noodles, as bad as I hate to say it I can't live without them at home much less as survival food.

Another hint too, when dehydrating,slices that are equal in size dry much easier. We picked up a cheap meat slicer at Harbor Freight for 25 bucks and it has lasted two years. Makes veggy slicing much quicker and eaiser.

I have a big bag or rice (8g for 10$) .. but its not minute rice
you just make a fire camp and add some water a bit of oil
so while you warm yourself .. you make rice in a pot

made me think about saled dehydrating meat .. jerky beef in other words
i would want to buy a box of those .. but damn to much expensive
is there any compagny that sell jerky beef at a low price

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

From what we have done that is the most expensive part. Jerky is high and the packs of freeze dryed beef are even worse. I have tryed mostly making my own in a cheap dehydrater. The ground beef type is my favorite and I try to catch it on sale at the local market. We also use the canned chicken as they throw it on sale often and it has a great shelf life. It goes well with the rice.

Another thing is utilize your left overs. Like the x-mas ham. I always trim everything off I can and dry it. One of my favorites is ham and rice with a can of cheese soup. ( dryed ) Makes a great camp meal that you can package for 1 are 2 people with little weight and space.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
An old mate of mine used to take curry powder with him in a plane. "Incase we crash and have to eat each other" He was nuts, mind, but everything tastes nice when curried.
As an aside, this thread title made me think of dinner at the mum-in-law's.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by SprocketUK
An old mate of mine used to take curry powder with him in a plane. "Incase we crash and have to eat each other" He was nuts, mind, but everything tastes nice when curried.
As an aside, this thread title made me think of dinner at the mum-in-law's.

he used to carry curry powder ? in case he would have to eat somebody ? .. damn
probably already his a canibal ..stay far from these kind of crazy person
how you could be next in their stomach

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

light weight
can make with unheated water may not be best tasting but will assist in neutrition intake

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

get the noodles in a bag........they are good w/out water too....crumble add seasoning packet ..shake, then eat like chips...
As for the rest of the stuff listed by the op...a 22 rifle...is lighter and will provide organic food stuffs, minus all the preservatives..
Some kinda meat..."rabbit" my fav...with a fresh water cress salad, and chives made from onion grass, with a bit of honeysuckle and maple "tree sap" for dressing....nom nom...
Only food items I pack are salt, and water purifying tabs.
Native Americans lived very well off the land for thousands of years...we've only been at it a few hundred...maybe they were right...
edit on 4-6-2012 by Doc Holiday because: OCD blank box syndrom

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Holiday
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

get the noodles in a bag........they are good w/out water too....crumble add seasoning packet ..shake, then eat like chips...
As for the rest of the stuff listed by the op...a 22 rifle...is lighter and will provide organic food stuffs, minus all the preservatives..
Some kinda meat..."rabbit" my fav...with a fresh water cress salad, and chives made from onion grass, with a bit of honeysuckle and maple "tree sap" for dressing....nom nom...
Only food items I pack are salt, and water purifying tabs.
Native Americans lived very well off the land for thousands of years...we've only been at it a few hundred...maybe they were right...
edit on 4-6-2012 by Doc Holiday because: OCD blank box syndrom

I agree .. ramen noodle are way better without water than uncook pasta
but i knew a few people that liked to eat hard spaghettis
so i guess normal pasta can be a good snack to if you dont have time to boil a pot of water
edit on 6/4/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join