It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most ATSers were in "Gifted Programs"?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

Majority can be anywhere from 50.000001% to 99.9999999%. Yes, fools will speak when they have to say something but the wise speak when they have something to say. I was not advocating IQ as a determining factor in a persons "smartness" nor mentioned anything about IQ in my OP.

If this post came across to you as hostile, I appologize sincerely, it was not my intention. I am just trying to straighten out my words from being twisted.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotApplicable
reply to post by Cuervo

Majority can be anywhere from 50.000001% to 99.9999999%. Yes, fools will speak when they have to say something but the wise speak when they have something to say. I was not advocating IQ as a determining factor in a persons "smartness" nor mentioned anything about IQ in my OP.

If this post came across to you as hostile, I appologize sincerely, it was not my intention. I am just trying to straighten out my words from being twisted.

I think you may have misunderstood me. I wasn't speaking to the IQ thing, I was just using that as an example. My point was about the thread you are referencing in your OP.

Basically, if you ask somebody to participate if they are "this or that", you will mostly get people who are "this or that" which does not give you an accurate idea of how many people are actually "this or that".

All that kind of post proves is that a majority of the people who participated in that particular thread is "this or that". Internet polling works the same where only people with an affirmative opinion will actually click on the survey so it rarely gives you an accurate gauge.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I was in the gifted program each year of my education.

Every time my parents had a conference with the teachers / guidance counselers all I can remember EVER hearing was:

"Trust me Mr. and Mrs. Alphabetaone, if your son passes it will truly be a gift"

But I'm more than willing to put my head together with others in spite of it all.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I see now. I should have been more elaborate in the OP, but hindsight is always 20/20. My goal was to unite us more or less. Setting the common ground for us to come together.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by alphabetaone

Hahaha! Thank you for the witty humour

Did you feel challenged enough to even bother with the work they were trying to give you?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
*chuckles*

My mom wanted me in one of those when i was a teen. She made me ask one of my teachers to about admission and said teach shot me down, just like i knew she would.

When i was up north before i moved to the south, yea i was in the fast class too

edit on 3-6-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Nope, I wasn't in any gifted programs that I can remember. I was however placed in an LD class after having a seizure in my 4th grade year and being diagnosed with epilepsy.

I was so embarrassed, I never understood why they thought these classes would of been beneficial for me. my grades were As and Bs at the time, I was just a little slower than the rest of the class due to having absence seizures throughout the day.

Being in a LD class is a learning disability all on its own, all you need to do to pass was to just be there, the work was beyond simple. It was such a downer moving back into regular classes, being so far behind the rest of the kids my age, struggling to keep up I eventualy just gave up and quit school.

I can believe many members here were in gifted classes, there does seem to be alot of intelligent members here. that is one of the reason I continue coming back to ATS, to absorb their knowledge.

Okay im done rambling

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by NotApplicable

I began that program around grade 4-5, and in the 5th or 6th, was testing at 10th and 11th grade levels in some subjects, 8th or 9th in others. But then, I didn't really think it made a lot of sense because honestly - if that was all it took to reach those "approximate" levels of grade aptitude on the test, then they were expecting way too little of students, in my opinion. I'm just saying that the test seemed too easy and I don't really think it was like I was ready to be in those grade levels in those subjects at that time. I don't know even what the point of it was, maybe we were an experiment?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
There is a similar thread on this topic here
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join