It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most ATSers were in "Gifted Programs"?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Just reading through THIS thread and noticed just how many of ATSers were at one point part of the gifted program or accelerated classes. I was part of both during my school years. The first one I was put in during 2nd grade was called "Star Reach", and in middle school they called it Gifted class.

On to my point... I believe the majority of us here are in fact above average in intellegence. Think of the things we could accomplish by putting our minds together on real issues instead of fighting amongst one another. Just a thought

Link to original thread in the first sentence.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotApplicable
I believe the majority of us here are in fact above average in intellegence.

A lot of the threads I read on this site seem to disagree with that greatly.

ETA: with that said, being in a "gifted program" during elementary school years is no way to gauge "above average" intelligence. I don't know about you, but I didn't have to take an IQ test to get into mine. I was referred by a teacher.
edit on 6-3-12 by paradox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I don't know, I see a lot of members here who might make the Chimpanzee gifted programs.

Keyword - "might"... then again, I see some of the most intelligent folks I've ever read from here. Guess that's a good mix.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Not quite a "Majority" of us is it really, Just a select few

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by paradox

Think back to what brought you to this site in the first place.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   

reply to post by paradox

Being curious brought be here. But I don't think there is any correlation between curiosity and above average intelligence. Humans are curious by nature.

Hell, this site will probably pop up on Google no matter what you search

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I do believe the membership of ATS has above average intelligence. Sure, we have our share of dummies, but in general, I have never encountered a group like ATS anywhere else on the web, or in real life. And I've been to Mensa meetings (not a member, just checked it out for curiosity sake)! They were not as informative as some of the good threads on ATS.

Gifted Programs may or may not be a sign of above average intelligence, but they are certainly a sign that someone singled that person out because they at least seemed to have above average intelligence.

Intelligence can't be measured in one lump sum. I used to have a little cousin that the schools thought was retarded, because she did so poorly on standardized tests, and she didn't fit into typical educational programs. BUT, by age 14, she could rebuild a carbeurator, overhaul a car engine and take an entire Highway Patrol Harley Davidson apart, and put it back together on her own.

I know plenty of people with very little education, but extremely high compartmentalized intelligence.

ATS is a gathering place for people a little outside the norm, and often with wonderful life experience, historical knowledge, or out-of-box thinking.

I love this place!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Statistically speaking, that is not a lot of people in that thread. If it was several hundred pages with every post being someone else claiming to be in a gifted program, then sure...but having a handful of people raise their hands is not "most", nor even arguably lots.

Also, keep in mind, ATS is filled with liars and internet glory seekers...so, as with everything, don't believe everything you read.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I guess I am one of the dummies, but my daughter was in the gifted programs, does this give me a pass?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by paradox

reply to post by paradox

Being curious brought be here. But I don't think there is any correlation between curiosity and above average intelligence. Humans are curious by nature.

Hell, this site will probably pop up on Google no matter what you search

You may want to go socialize a bit more. Talk to average people at the local watering hole..you will find outside of pop culture, there is very little curiosity. Asking questions when you have reached about 25 runs the risk of destabilizing your worldview..and people seek out comfort in thought more than truth.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
It makes me wonder how many of those posters confused the word gifted for "special" classes.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by electricalpup
I guess I am one of the dummies, but my daughter was in the gifted programs, does this give me a pass?

No.
But your daughter may hire you on to serve her drinks or something...back of the bus, lacky!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thank you for elaborating on the point I was trying to get across

You guys here on ATS are AWESOME!.. IMHO

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I was not in any "gifted" program and I did not want to be. I hated the institution called school and its inherent authority and rules. I couldnt wait to get out but quitting was not an option, so i prodded my way through it begrudgingly.
Having a few good friends, parties and the free-flowing alcohol helped considerably though

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Wouldn't put to much stock in that. There are plenty of people that are straight genius but don't behave well. GT programs are for smart kids who don't act out, not for smart kids period.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jvm222
It makes me wonder how many of those posters confused the word gifted for "special" classes.

Well, in the other thread, I mentioned I hated going to those classes, because they bussed us to another school......... and it WAS a SHORT BUS!

Dammit, this changes everything!

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
In my humble opinion ... I doubt "many" were in gifted programs...

This is the Internet ...

Behind a keyboard ... we are all a genius.

ps. a high post count and all the *s and flags dont mean s*it either...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Sounds like what she would propose to me, but I prefer to sit at the back of the bus to observe. Best education in the world is at the back of the bus.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by electricalpup
reply to post by SaturnFX

Best education in the world is at the back of the bus.

The worst STD's live back there too. Or, if it is a band bus, then the best **** gets used up back there.
edit on 3-6-2012 by getreadyalready because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NotApplicable

Based on common popular threads and 99% of replies to almost any thread, I find it highly unlikely "most" of the ATS member base was in any kind of gifted program, or if they were, probably shouldnt have been.

More likely is that ATS would be composed generally of a fairly accurate cross-section of society, in terms of "intelligence". There would be several truly highly intelligent people, a portion of "above average" people, and a whole lot of just average people who think they are smarter than they really are. That last one is honestly where I see most "ATSers".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join