It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most ATSers were in "Gifted Programs"?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I enjoyed the classes for the most part and for several reasons.

I knew I had to attend school there was no option, "regular" classes were a little boring and I did not feel like I was really learning anything. The gifted classes I took actually challenged me and I knew I was learning things. I have always loved a challenge because they are obstacles to be overcome. I learned more in the gifted program than I did in the regular classes.
edit on 3-6-2012 by NotApplicable because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Perhaps the majority of the repliers in that thread only posted because they were part of these gifted programs? The people who weren't may have read the thread but didn't reply because they didn't have anything to add to the topic. And I'd wager that's a fair amount of people, myself included.

That seems the most likely reason to me.
edit on 3/6/12 by The Empty Skies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by The Empty Skies

Yes, but how many students are actually in the gifted program than not?

Percentages from 2004-2006

Found this also, some interesting things to be read here: Link to site

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Thanks for the laugh, no just observe the world through the window and watch the rowdies seated ahead of me, priceless.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by paradox

Originally posted by NotApplicable
reply to post by paradox

Think back to what brought you to this site in the first place.

Being curious brought be here. But I don't think there is any correlation between curiosity and above average intelligence. Humans are curious by nature.

Hell, this site will probably pop up on Google no matter what you search

You may want to go socialize a bit more. Talk to average people at the local watering hole..you will find outside of pop culture, there is very little curiosity. Asking questions when you have reached about 25 runs the risk of destabilizing your worldview..and people seek out comfort in thought more than truth.

I don't know about you, but I've never socialized with idiots....

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I won Mathematics awards on the national level.

I'm a free-thinker, it's hard to catch me with the propaganda

The biggest thing I've discovered is that vaccines are a crime against humanity

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Just reading through THIS thread and noticed just how many of ATSers were at one point part of the gifted program or accelerated classes. I was part of both during my school years. The first one I was put in during 2nd grade was called "Star Reach", and in middle school they called it Gifted class.

On to my point... I believe the majority of us here are in fact above average in intellegence. Think of the things we could accomplish by putting our minds together on real issues instead of fighting amongst one another. Just a thought

Link to original thread in the first sentence.

No what you have here is a number of people who for whatever reason decide to embellish the truth.

It happens on internet forums more than in actual life. People hiding behind their screen play the role of someone they wish they subconsciously were.

Most are infact twisting the truth to sound far better than they were. If you have a real look through ATS you will see that it has an abnormal amount of unemployed (or as I call them, lazy) people on this forum.

People on here are generally not to be believed. No proof of said accomplishments. SO not above average intelligence as again no proof, just more stroking of imaginary egos.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

I understand what you are saying and I can agree with you to an extent.

I wasn't saying everyone here is above average. The amount of people on here who were in gifted classes is strikingly high compared to the general population. I guess since I prefer not to lie, I expect others to do the same. I still see the good in people and wish more would not give up hope on humanity.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I think many are confusing two different kinds of people. Learned and intelligent.

Learned people are frequently more eloquent and articulate, not necessarily smarter.

Intelligent people aren't always learned, and can say some of the dumbest things. But that doesn't make them dumb.

I have an uncle who only went through the eighth grade. But I'd put his intelligence up against anyone I know.
I have a few friends who are very learned, bit their intelligence level is probably average at best.

My point? You can't judge IQ by what you read in a forum. You might get a few clues, but not the whole picture by any means.

So to judge the vast majority of membership here based solely on your own subjective perspective, is most certainly not "Denying Ignorance".

edit on 6/3/2012 by Klassified because: clarity

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Yeah, I was in the gifted program. In middle school that is.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

On to my point... I believe the majority of us here are in fact above average in intellegence. Think of the things we could accomplish by putting our minds together on real issues instead of fighting amongst one another. Just a thought

Welcome to ATS circa 2006.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Six6Six

I just pointed out that I noticed how many said that they were in the the gifted program.
I agree with you that some people may have a very high IQ but little common sense, and a some with a lot of common sense can have a very low IQ. However, I never said anything about IQ determining how "smart" a person was.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by NotApplicable

Putting our heads together would require letting go of everything that we've been brainwashed with.

That's not easy no matter who you are.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

Agreed. Though the obstacle set before us seems almost unachieveable, there is nothing that we cannot do when we work together.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Rode the short bus...

Wonders if that qualifies as Gifted or just Special?

edit on 3-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I was in Special Ed myself but without the rigorous summer tutoring, I wouldn't have gotten far.

It was worth it.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

In all honesty...

When I was in the 4th grade they tested me at the Teachers request. She thought I was slow and should be put back a grade. After testing, the counselor moved me forward a grade and told the Teacher I was bored not slow...

True true...

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
"Special" people are very interesting to me because many of them have at least one aspect of themselves that is extraordinary in a good way. I would never call someone who is "special" dumb or stupid because this simply just is not true.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

reply to post by paradox

Think back to what brought you to this site in the first place.

Being curious brought be here. But I don't think there is any correlation between curiosity and above average intelligence. Humans are curious by nature.

Hell, this site will probably pop up on Google no matter what you search

You may want to go socialize a bit more. Talk to average people at the local watering hole..you will find outside of pop culture, there is very little curiosity. Asking questions when you have reached about 25 runs the risk of destabilizing your worldview..and people seek out comfort in thought more than truth.

I don't know about you, but I've never socialized with idiots....

You just did

Derp.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Empty Skies
Perhaps the majority of the repliers in that thread only posted because they were part of these gifted programs? The people who weren't may have read the thread but didn't reply because they didn't have anything to add to the topic. And I'd wager that's a fair amount of people, myself included.

That seems the most likely reason to me.
edit on 3/6/12 by The Empty Skies because: (no reason given)

That was exactly my thought. If I started a thread called "How many of you would say red is your favorite color?", I would imagine 90% of those who felt compelled to post on that thread would say "ME! I LOVE RED!!!". That doesn't mean that 90% of the forum population would list "red" as their favorite color.

It's always a bit sketchy when you ask people to come out of the woodwork and tell us how special they are because... you get a lot of people who try to shine. To me, discussing my IQ is akin to discussing my salary; it makes me feel a bit egocentric.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join