It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milky Way To Collide Head-On With Andromeda Says NASA....in 4-Billion years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Talk about a great future for us humanoids!

Pulled the link from their website

:______beforeitsnews/story/2205/086/Milky_Way_To_Collide_Head-On_With_Andromeda_Says_NASA.html

The Milky Way and Andromeda are speeding towards a head on collision at 250,000 miles per hour due to gravity and the speed will increase as the two get closer. The two galaxies will merge into a new galaxy and our solar system will likely survive intact to become part of the new galaxy. The most significant change expected is that our solar system will be further from the galactic center. NASA astronomers announced Thursday they can now predict with certainty the next major cosmic event to affect our galaxy, sun, and solar system: the titanic collision of our Milky Way galaxy with the neighboring Andromeda galaxy. The Milky Way is destined to get a major makeover during the encounter, which is predicted to happen four billion years from now. It is likely the sun will be flung into a new region of our galaxy, but our Earth and solar system are in no danger of being destroyed. This illustration shows a stage in the predicted merger between our Milky Way galaxy and the neighboring Andromeda galaxy, as it will unfold over the next several billion years. In this image, representing Earth's night sky in 3.75 billion years, Andromeda (left) fills the field of view and begins to distort the Milky Way with tidal pull.

"Our findings are statistically consistent with a head-on collision between the Andromeda galaxy and our Milky Way galaxy," said Roeland van der Marel of the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) in Baltimore. The solution came through painstaking NASA Hubble Space Telescope measurements of the motion of Andromeda, which also is known as M31. The galaxy is now 2.5 million light-years away, but it is inexorably falling toward the Milky Way under the mutual pull of gravity between the two galaxies and the invisible dark matter that surrounds them both. This animation depicts the collision between our Milky Way galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy. Hubble Space Telescope observations indicate that the two galaxies, pulled together by their mutual gravity, will crash together about 4 billion years from now. Around 6 billion years from now, the two galaxies will merge to form a single galaxy. The video also shows the Triangulum galaxy, which will join in the collision and perhaps later merge with the Andromeda/Milky Way pair.

edit on 1-6-2012 by WiindWalker because: (no reason given)

Sorry about that folks, seems it is a ways off.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
And absolutely nothing will happen. Andromeda will fly right on by. The distances between stars are so great that it is unlikely there will be even one collision "between" the galaxies. It would be like you in an automobile speeding south on Interstate 5 between Seattle and San Diego and me in an automobile headed north on Interstate 75 between Jacksonville and Atlanta. Neither one of us would have the slightest knowledge that the other was even there.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
And absolutely nothing will happen. Andromeda will fly right on by. The distances between stars are so great that it is unlikely there will be even one collision "between" the galaxies. It would be like you in an automobile speeding south on Interstate 5 between Seattle and San Diego and me in an automobile headed north on Interstate 75 between Jacksonville and Atlanta. Neither one of us would have the slightest knowledge that the other was even there.

How would you know that we are still projecting in space? Maybe once we meet, it will stop. Think higher my friend.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
What's happening this year?
The source says this is supposed to happen 4 billion years from now.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiindWalker

Originally posted by schuyler

How would you know that we are still projecting in space? Maybe once we meet, it will stop. Think higher my friend.

It's simple physics and scale. Galaxies collide all the time. Observe some here. Your statement makes no sense.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GmoS719

Exactly. Sounds like someone just read the headline and not the article.

What happens in 4 billion years won't affect humanity one iota. We'll have killed ourselves off long before then.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jtap66

I corrected my statement

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtap66
reply to post by GmoS719

Exactly. Sounds like someone just read the headline and not the article.

What happens in 4 billion years won't affect humanity one iota. We'll have killed ourselves off long before then.

By that time the earth will probably be inhabited by something else, like giant roaches or something.
Humans wont last much longer.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Oh, please. Now I have to mark that on my calendar too? You say nothing much will happen but some people are likely to make a big thing out of galaxies colliding, another doom and gloom scenario. So now I have to wait 4 billion years so I can have that end-of-the-world party the night before and say I-told-you-so the next day. Puh-leze.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
Oh, please. Now I have to mark that on my calendar too? You say nothing much will happen but some people are likely to make a big thing out of galaxies colliding, another doom and gloom scenario. So now I have to wait 4 billion years so I can have that end-of-the-world party the night before and say I-told-you-so the next day. Puh-leze.

Hey, nobody forced you to read this thread.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
This is extremely old news. Not to discourage you but this has been known for years. It
has been featured in many Discovery/Science Discovery shows and i'm sure other
television shows.
edit on 6/1/2012 by UnholyBones because: typo

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiindWalker

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro

Hey, nobody forced you to read this thread.

Good gawd! Isn't it obvious I'm pulling your leg here? I suppose the information is good, though I don't expect to be here in 4 billion years to know for sure. Interesting anyway. I gave you a star and flag for this on the first go-around. Make me regret it, why don't you? That wasn't forced either.

edit on 1-6-2012 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

top topics

join