It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milky Way is headed for a crash course about to collide into another galaxy!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Seriously, where are you getting this info from? Just your own logical conclusion, or is there a source for the ideas your throwing out here - all I've ever read about Andromeda's collision for years is that it would not be a violent event, you seem to be convinced otherwise.

Please share, thanks

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:16 AM
link   

I like the U of T simulation better as the perspective is better:

Remember that this is happening over a billion years. A second is equal to 16.6 million years or so. Even in the spots of the simulation where it looks as though all hell is breaking lose, a man could live and die millions of times in a single frame.
edit on 1-6-2012 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   

That is a completely absurd hypothesis. Particles are 99.99% empty space, yet when you hit a wall you don't go through it do you? Lots of matter from each galaxy will collide, and lots of matter which isn't on a collision course with matter from the other galaxy will most likely be attracted to matter from the other galaxy due to the force of gravity. Furthermore, the other galaxy will not simply pass right through our galaxy and keep going, both our galaxies have way too much mass, they will merge into one galaxy due to the forces of gravity and many violent collisions will take place as that process happens.

Not absurd at all, because it is true. You cannot compare the atomic density of a solid against the star density of a galaxy. There are thousands of studied galaxies in collision in the universe, as it is a frequent occurrence really. They twist through each other and then come back and do it again, eventually changing into elliptical galaxies, with no damage detected , albeit we have not been studying them very long, but the evidence of catastrophic collisions is not there. I would believe the Hubble scientists, since they are the ones that have done the research.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
so you mean we SHOULDN'T be working 50 hours+ a week till we are 67 then retire and die?

WTF ARE WE DOING?

we should be living peaceful happy lives... and then die

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
so you mean we SHOULDN'T be working 50 hours+ a week till we are 67 then retire and die?

WTF ARE WE DOING?

You should be buying real estate in Andromeda in my opinion.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

Seriously, where are you getting this info from? Just your own logical conclusion, or is there a source for the ideas your throwing out here

I am just stating simple fact based on well known theories and my own common sense. The video I posted shows a classic example of what the process would look like, even in the stupid non-humorous video you posted they show the same thing in the background. You are being confused because you think "most stars will pass by each other" means "the whole thing will be as peaceful as Sunday afternoon". For more information on galactic collisions see the following article:

Galaxies collide and interact occasionally and there are several well-known examples in the vicinity of the Milky Way. We see interacting pairs as snapshots in time and the results are often very dramatic. Long streams of stars thrown off in beautiful open spiral patterns are characteristic of these collisions and are known as tidal tails and bridges because of their origin in the strong mutual gravitational tides of the two interacting galaxies. Colliding galaxies also tend to merge with one another and the final outcome after some violent convulsions lasting a few hundred million years is another kind of galaxy called an elliptical. During this period, the gas in these galaxies can be ignited violently in a starburst creating stars at rates hundreds of times greater than normal.

The Merger of the Milky Way and Andromeda Galaxies

all I've ever read about Andromeda's collision for years is that it would not be a violent event, you seem to be convinced otherwise.

Well then you need to read more and think more. How you can even believe a collision between two galaxies could be remotely peaceful is simply beyond my comprehension.
edit on 1-6-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Dear boncho

Understood however it will not matter what you are sentimental about when the whole race in billions of year extinct will it?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269
reply to post by boncho

Dear boncho

Understood however it will not matter what you are sentimental about when the whole race in billions of year extinct will it?

I'm hoping my own God skills evolve by then and I don't have to focus on humans anymore. My experiments keep getting flushed down the toilet however...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Remember that this is happening over a billion years. A second is equal to 16.6 million years or so. Even in the spots of the simulation where it looks as though all hell is breaking lose, a man could live and die millions of times in a single frame.

Yes that is true, but that does not mean the process will leave Earth unscathed. The argument is not whether one man could survive the process, but whether Earth and humanity could survive the process. And in all likelihood we would not survive that clearly disruptive and violent process.

reply to post by charlyv

but the evidence of catastrophic collisions is not there.

I am not arguing that much of the mass in each galaxy passes through each other. Much of it does... and much of it collides too, and you are simply wrong if you think nothing collides. But the point here has nothing to do with collisions. It's the false belief that Earth could easily surive such a dramatic events and that the whole thing will be a peaceful non-event. That is simply not true and it's niave to believe such false information.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho

Originally posted by yourmaker

WTF ARE WE DOING?

You should be buying real estate in Andromeda in my opinion.

i've already claimed Jupiter's moon Callisto. i'm good on space estate. it all has the same property value anyways, sadly.

Andromeda is going to get just as smashed up if not more,
honestly though i'd imagine it's probably got at least 1 planet that calls itself Earth.

I wonder if that Earth realized the same fate..

...*puts on tinfoil thinking cap

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

experiments keep getting flushed down the toilet however..lol

would that be in a helix clockwise type flush??

lol,,
sorry,,
it is a cool thought though,,
slow motion DNA Strand,,lol,,ya boogles the mind,,
and just from flushing a toilet,,
very Dr. Who. LOL

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Oh okay, thanks for clarifying. I thought you had a source or something that would refute professional astronomers the world over.

It's a bit of relief knowing that your just making [snip] up.

ETA

BTW, video was for Boncho, I've read his posts in the past, he clearly has a sense of humor.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Lighterside because: (no reason given)

ETA Again

I'd be willing to bet you believe the asteroid belt looks like it does in movies too.

edit on 1-6-2012 by Lighterside because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

of course it is thats why people have children, paint and write masterpieces, compose music, research science, its a mix between leaving a legacy and insuring that we have and care for the next generation of humans, if something, happened to earth thousands of years of progress along with humans will disappear, nothing would remain, doesn't that sound worse than ones own demise, its human nature To worry, its almost ingrained in us.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

lets get past those Asteroids in Chile first,,
just a thought.

They were not going too give the Scientists,,plane tickets,,lol
very hushh,,hush.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Dear ChaoticOrder

Understood things may well collide near us in 4 billion years.

However the point is it doesn’t matter to us because we will not be here in 1 billion years, according to the boffins.

Anyway they are being well optimistic in my opinion because if we do not stop the way we are behaving now we may well not see the next century.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

Oh okay, thanks for clarifying. I thought you had a source or something that would refute professional astronomers the world over.

Are you blind? The source I linked to was written by John Dubinski, he is an astrophysicist.

edit on 1-6-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Dear boncho

I do hope you flushed that stuff down the toilet before you ate it or at least I hope you have good health insurance.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Earth "surviving" is more just thinking about whether it will stay the cute shaped rock that it is now or will it look like a planet after the death star blasted it, in my opinion.

Because we are talking astronomical terms we have to be a little specific or specify semantics. Yes the Earth could be ejected far away from the galaxies or it could stay somewhere inside. It is thought it will be sifted quite a bit regardless.

Could people survive on a planet during a galaxy collision? The answer clearly seems to be yes.

But because it's astronomical terms, a "high rate", or "increased rate" or "millions of", really mean nothing without some context to location and trajectory. Hence all that complicated math they do at NASA (Which can sometimes seem conflicting within just one article):

Although the galaxies will plow into each other, stars inside each galaxy are so far apart that they will not collide with other stars during the encounter. However, the stars will be thrown into different orbits around the new galactic center. Simulations show that our solar system will probably be tossed much farther from the galactic core than it is today.

Source

The U of T fellow says:

During this period, the gas in these galaxies can be ignited violently in a starburst creating stars at rates hundreds of times greater than normal.

Gas clouds intersecting will create stars, but stars won't be colliding. From what I'm reading. Star creation is pretty cool none the less.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
What are the chances that the big guy is sitting in his throne somewhere, looking down on this thread thinking, "Boy I created a bunch of idiots."

"They won't even be here when it happens and they're arguing about how bad it will be. It doesn't even relate to them. There isn't even a judgement they can make."

"Where's my Jack Daniels?"

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Yeah, I read it.... maybe you should re-read it? He's stating what everyone else is. The sun will probably be tossed into a new region, and our sky is gonna look different.

The only violence expected is the compounding of interstellar gases from the merging galaxies birthing new stars. Which, is already happening within our galaxy anyway.

Still don't see how you're drawing your conclusions.

Sorry, won't be paying you for your ideas anytime soon, keep fishing.

edit on 1-6-2012 by Lighterside because: typo fixed

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join