It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milky Way is headed for a crash course about to collide into another galaxy!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I say we make a pact to return here in four billion years to see what it's really like, and place some bets along the way. Deal?

Oh and invite Felicia Day while you're at it...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

He's stating what everyone else is. The sun will probably be tossed into a new region, and our sky is gonna look different.

Oh right... so our Sun being tossed around and our orbit being disrupted is not violent?

Sounds super peaceful dude...

And you do realize the Sun is changing it's position in the galaxy all the time. The solar system is actually orbiting the galaxy. Should we collide with another galaxy all that will be messed up and the matter from each galaxy will be tossed around like rice in a fry pan. There's nothing peaceful about it.
edit on 1-6-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Man wouldn't that be great! I would love to be living under a night sky of merging galaxies. I already find our small arm of the Milky Way to be surreal when looking at it at night.

To the people alive 4 billion years from now (I know you're reading this because digital data will live forever)... I'm so freaking jealous of you!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Oh right... so our Sun being tossed around and our orbit being disrupted is not violent?

Sounds super peaceful dude...

I know right, could you imagine our sun being flung by gravity through space at like 600 THOUSAND miles per hour or some redonkulous number like that!?! How the hell are we supposed to survive that!!!?!?!

edit on 1-6-2012 by Lighterside because: quote added - typo fixed

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
que music,,,

www.youtube.com...

the galaxy song.

ohh and its still the fastest,,,! lol
edit on 1-6-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

I know right, could you imagine our sun being flung by gravity through space at light 600 THOUSAND miles per hour or some redonkulous number like that!?!

The Sun is currently traversing a smooth steady path, to have the gravitational forces of another galaxies suddenly disrupt that path would throw the entire solar system out of whack, our orbit around the Sun will most likely be disrupted and our planet will probably be ejected from the solar system or sent crashing into the Sun.

And this is where our debate ends. Clearly you are lacking any ability to use critical thought.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Violent is in the eyes of the observer. Or the context the event is in. Technically, the sun's daily explosions and fusion reactions are horridly violent, yet we still manage because we are protected.

Perspective. It is, it isn't. If you were in a galaxy collision on a planet that was largely unaffected you would look and say, "Yeah that's violent but not a big deal." If you were on a planet that met it's fate in the same collision your thoughts might be different.

It's really just semantics no?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

...to have the gravitational forces of another galaxies suddenly disrupt that path would throw the entire solar system out of whack, our orbit around the Sun will most likely be disrupted and our planet will probably be ejected from the solar system or sent crashing into the Sun.

And this is where our debate ends. Clearly you are lacking any ability to use critical thought.

ROFL, says who? Oh wait, that's right, says you.

Lack the ability to critically think huh? Sorry, any goon can critically think there way into false certitude as you've clearly demonstrated. Do the insults you fling make that foot in your mouth taste better or something?

And you expect to be paid... err, tipped for these ideas?

edit on 1-6-2012 by Lighterside because: quote added

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

I know right, could you imagine our sun being flung by gravity through space at light 600 THOUSAND miles per hour or some redonkulous number like that!?!

The Sun is currently traversing a smooth steady path, to have the gravitational forces of another galaxies suddenly disrupt that path would throw the entire solar system out of whack, our orbit around the Sun will most likely be disrupted and our planet will probably be ejected from the solar system or sent crashing into the Sun.

We are currently merging with another galaxy (mind you much smaller than Andromeda), I know it's hard to think of galaxies hitting each other without getting the instant picture of chaos and destruction, but it's damn near unnoticeable with the current collision that's going on.

Based on its current trajectory, the Sag DEG main cluster is about to pass through the galactic disc of the Milky Way within the next hundred million years, while the extended loop-shaped ellipse is already extended around and through our local space and on through the Milky Way galactic disc, and in the process of slowly being absorbed into the larger galaxy, calculated at 10,000 times the mass of Sag DEG.

Link

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Dwarves don't count unless you're Tyrion Lannister. (
I might go to hell for that one)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lighterside
reply to post by boncho

Dwarves don't count unless you're Tyrion Lannister. (
I might go to hell for that one)

Point is, it's still a collision.

Okay...

Maybe just a fender bender. I thought it was worth a mention anyway.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I guess that means we may only be thrown into the sun just a short distance.

We could already be half way there.

Just a small chance we're all doomed.

lul

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Do the insults you fling make that foot in your mouth taste better or something?

That's funny, the only one who has been making underhanded jokes and crude humor with dark undertones implying things about other posters thus far is you. I made that one insult (or rather an observational statement) because I was getting sick and tired of debating with a person who can't even begin to understand the counter-points being presented to them. Our solar system will be ripped from it's normal orbit and it will be tossed around like spegatti... in fact the orbit of all planets in the solar system will most likely be completely disrupted to the point where the sky as seen from Earth completely changes.... yet to you think this is no big deal, nothing to worry about. I'm sure the future humans you are referencing will have something else to say about that when the Earth is torn from its natural orbit and ejected from the solar system as the Sun is whipped around and the shape of the entire galaxy is vastly altered.

reply to post by boncho

We are currently merging with another galaxy (mind you much smaller than Andromeda)

Yes it is much smaller, in fact it's not even comparable. It's like a drop of water merging with the ocean. Andromeda is almost the same size as our galaxy. That will not exert any sort of force on our Sun and it certainly wont interfere with the orbit of Earth around our Sun. A collision with another galaxy our size will.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

I like how you pretend I don't know how to read. It's cute in a way. I simply stated you were wrong, like the director in my video [post]. Wasn't meant as an insult, if you took it that way, I offer no apologies. I clearly asked in a non hostile, and curious manner, where you were getting the information you have been posting, and you've been insulting my posts and person in all replies since. GTFO your high horse.

As for the information, again... says who? Because as far as I can tell, it's pretty much in agreeance among those in the field that earth will be just fine.

I know, 3 posts and a 1 liner is exhausting in a debate [and] can be taxing, especially when you have nothing to back up a claim refuted by professional astronomers, including your own citation. But I assure you, I understand your counter-points just fine, and I understand them to be wrong.

Who to believe..... Science? or someone who can't even respond to a question with civility... what do you call em... on the tip of my tongue... oh that's right, a Troll (one who wants my money non the less, ironic really).

edit on 1-6-2012 by Lighterside because: f'n typos, I'm all thumbs

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:44 AM
link   

GTFO your high horse.

The same could be said for some other people around here...

As for the information, again... says who? Because as far as I can tell, it's pretty much in agreeance among those in the field that earth will be just fine.

I would like to see one source stating the "Earth will be just fine". The only thing I've seen thus far is a source stating the Earth will most likely avoid a direct collision. As I have already explained in some detail, avoiding a collision is not the same thing as being just fine.

Scientists say the sun and Earth are unlikely to be hit by stars or planets from Andromeda because of the vast emptiness of the two galaxies. So Earth should easily survive what will be a 1.2 million mile per hour galactic merger.

They posit that the Earth not getting hit means it will "easily survive". If by survive they mean in one piece, then sure... the Earth will probably remain in one piece, but it wont remain in a steady orbit around the sun and it probably wont even remain in orbit around the Sun, and it might not even remain in the damn galaxy if it gets ejected. Even if our orbit around the Sun is altered a tiny bit it could mean the end of our species. Our distance from the Sun is crucial, we are in that "sweet spot" which results in the Earth not being too cool and not being too hot. Should it change we wont survive. But it seems you are unaware of any of this... and btw your video had nothing to do with what I said in my last post.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

That is a completely absurd hypothesis. Particles are 99.99% empty space, yet when you hit a wall you don't go through it do you? Lots of matter from each galaxy will collide, and lots of matter which isn't on a collision course with matter from the other galaxy will most likely be attracted to matter from the other galaxy due to the force of gravity. Furthermore, the other galaxy will not simply pass right through our galaxy and keep going, both our galaxies have way too much mass, they will merge into one galaxy due to the forces of gravity and many violent collisions will take place as that process happens.

What I find absurd is how you came here quoted my post which seemed arguementive imo about an event thats going to happen in 4 billion years,a time when our own sun would have destroyed life on this planet about 3 billion years prior.

For all the topics here on ATS I thought here`s one that wont turn into chaos,it actually made me
,but thankfully reading further I was pleasing to read posts such as Boncho`s and Lighterside`s and others which gave me one of these
and a couple of these
and a few of these

Mans biggest problem is surviving ourselves,though thats not the topic so I`ll leave that there.The leaps in technology as you are also aware are mind boggling just over the last century,so I`m pretty sure knowing how long the Earth has due to the sun will light a fire under the boffins bums on figuring a way to either live on other planets or as I heard one of them say move the planet out further(how? don`t ask me,I`m as dumb as a post in comparison) but maybe he was just saying that in the lead up to the 1 billion year count down they might work out a way.

If we do find a way and say go to a different planet and live another 3 billion years after our sun has forced us off to find a new home,I`d say they would have a fairly good chance on having a better understanding on the likelyhood of surviving the merge with another galaxy and if need be they would have also developed the technology to have left for another galaxy.

Ok its a personal opinion that I would love to see the merge with my own two eye`s,the galaxy would be stretched and distorted etc,but that doesn`t necessarily mean that planets such as ours will lose its orbit of their sun,even if they are flung out of the main body.

This is a topic I love to mainly listen to at night,you should see my dvd collection/libary on it,so I`m quite aware of most things discussed with it and I also like to ponder and add my own thoughts.

If it was happening right now,I`d be a little worried sure especially if the galactic centre was headed close enough,but I`m pretty sure its mainly the centres that are attracting the most to each other,but the likelyhood of it meaning absolute death to us,nope.I doubt I`d ever switch the tv on again at night.

edit on 1-6-2012 by gps777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Little known fact: (speaking of the sun)

The amount of power the sun generates, volume for volume is about 2% of what the compost pile in your backyard does...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   

All of your statements about Earth being at risk is purely your own opinion. Again, I thought you had factual information I had not seen. Upon asking for it, you decided to come at me with a "your too stupid to argue with" attitude?

Now, you've gone into a refusal, passing the buck back to me to prove you otherwise? For god sake, you're like arguing with a 12 year old.

But I'll bite.

From the horses mouth....
science.nasa.gov... eda/

The Milky Way is destined to get a major makeover during the encounter, which is predicted to happen four billion years from now. It is likely the sun will be flung into a new region of our galaxy, but our Earth and solar system are in no danger of being destroyed.

Earth AND Solar System.

What you purpose is speculation, and yours alone, and with that I refuse to entertain your ignorance any further. I suggest all readers take your words with a grain of salt.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Man, there seems to be a fixation on cannibalism in the news lately? First people eating each other with apparent regularity, and now now galaxies are going cannibalize each other. Oh the humanity! Pardon my levity on the subject. However, this process is said to take place in over billions of years. I guess we don't have to quite our day jobs and stock up the station wagon like we have seen in all those Science Fiction movies before imminent doom.

I heard about this phenomenon some time back on some of those astronomy shows. Judging from what I have heard? It is going to be quite chaotic, and the Milky Way as we know it today will be but a memory. Andromeda is a mammoth galaxy in comparison to ours. I imagine it being like one big cosmic blender. It would be one hell of a show for what ever lifeforms are around to watch it. Here is a good video by NASA explaining what it could be like when the behemoths collide.

They call the new creation "Milkdromeda." I have heard varying time frames, but in the video above they claim the collision is supposed to take place in 2 billion years. Who really knows? Very interesting stuff!
edit on 1-6-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
Andromeda merging with the Milky Way will be violent in the same way that the Indian plate colliding with the Eurasian plate is violent.

To ChaoticOrder:

Your handfuls of sand colliding analogy is only true if you consider that each handful is spread over an area of thousands of miles, even in the galactic centre. Sure, there will be gravitational disturbances large enough to push the entire solar system around, but it won't effect the orbits of the planets in a meaningful way... unless the solar system is extremely unlucky and happens to have another star pass very, very close to it. Which statistically is unlikely.

edit on 1-6-2012 by BagBing because: If only I could spell...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join