It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:
XL5

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
CaptainLJB, in a way I agree, but banning things IMO is the wrong way to go about it. The govt. needs to tell people that if you double the weight of a vehicle, you need four times the gas (for the same acceleration) and not just double like one would suspect. People have been duped into the whole status and safty thing when it comes to larger vehicles.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by XL5

People have been duped into Everything, if you take the time out to think about it for a moment. TV used to be free now you need a converter and a decent antenna to pull in the "free" airwaves, but everyone's pushing satellite or cable because that's more money. The present state of the pharmaceutical industry and medical insurance is a nightmare. There's insurance on everything, maybe even bicycles for all I know. We're being taxed for everything and I recently learned that I can't hold a garage sale in my own town from my own garage without Paying my town $20. I was talked out of my septic tank into connecting to the local sewage system and have to pay thousands of dollars a year just for my one measly leaky toilet. There are penalty taxes everywhere. You'd think they'd give us free internet service but that of course would be asking too much. Today people are duped into Buying bottled water when tap water is perfectly safe, unlike in other regions of the world outside the U.S... There's this "carbon tax" now that I still haven't quite figured out... Funerals, cremations, disposing of the dead is also not free...

It's a goddamned miracle that PAY TOILETS haven't been re-introduced.

It'll all end with taxing the Air We Breathe!

And just to tie it into the other thread. There won't be any revolution in America since the sheeple have been thoroughly domesticated and learned to take it. The middle class will vanish and there will be a two-class system, with peasants serving the ruling class. That's the ultimate outcome of Capitalism.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

What utter nonsense "soda" has been an staple in this country since the turn of the century, and they have been billion dollar industries and produced billion dollar tax revenues for government state and federal and jobs for those workers.Keeping sizes under 16 ounces what others will call rationing,

The "ban" doesn't apply to "diet" sodas which taste rather nasty in my opinion. Wait and see New York will face tax revenue loss from this "briliiant plan of action to combat obesity".

Total nonsense and fascist to say the least to tell people what they can or can't do with their own bodies.

Government knows best, and you don't know jack.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

Not to worry though my friend. You can still get your free government needles, condoms, and soon birth control!!!

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
It's our mayor he likes to stick his greedy little nose in everything. First no smoking in clubs then in parks now I can't biggie size that? Next he'll want to make pizza pies smaller. You know it's $12 for a pack of smokes here (good thing I stopped)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainLJB
reply to post by XL5

People have been duped into Everything, if you take the time out to think about it for a moment. TV used to be free now you need a converter and a decent antenna to pull in the "free" airwaves, but everyone's pushing satellite or cable because that's more money. The present state of the pharmaceutical industry and medical insurance is a nightmare. There's insurance on everything, maybe even bicycles for all I know. We're being taxed for everything and I recently learned that I can't hold a garage sale in my own town from my own garage without Paying my town $20. I was talked out of my septic tank into connecting to the local sewage system and have to pay thousands of dollars a year just for my one measly leaky toilet. There are penalty taxes everywhere. You'd think they'd give us free internet service but that of course would be asking too much. Today people are duped into Buying bottled water when tap water is perfectly safe, unlike in other regions of the world outside the U.S... There's this "carbon tax" now that I still haven't quite figured out... Funerals, cremations, disposing of the dead is also not free...

It's a goddamned miracle that PAY TOILETS haven't been re-introduced.

It'll all end with taxing the Air We Breathe!

And just to tie it into the other thread. There won't be any revolution in America since the sheeple have been thoroughly domesticated and learned to take it. The middle class will vanish and there will be a two-class system, with peasants serving the ruling class. That's the ultimate outcome of Capitalism.
I dont agree with Tap water as a good thing as chemicals ar all never filtered out,. but yeah
the move the control your life seems to be the push,.
all I can say is.. move to the country.
we dont have this issue

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by neo96

100 years anyone ever died from it?

Pathologist Dr. Dan Mornin told the court it was likely Harris had severe hypokalemia -- a lack of potassium in the blood -- brought on by her excessive consumption of soda.

He said she died from cardiac arrhythmia, and that her soft drink habit, along with poor nutrition and too much caffeine, contributed to her death

Source:
Woman dies after drinking 10 liters of Coke a day

CX.

While this is interesting, it's not necessarily the soda that killed her. She had a major fluid overload which diluted her blood to the point of having fatally low potassium levels, which can cause cardiac arrest. The diuretic effect of caffeine compounded the issue, since potassium is excreted in the urine. I don't think this issue is what is targeted by the law. I get that you were joking, though.

As a nurse, I see people make terrible decisions about their health all the time (myself included). However, I don't think it's the will of the people for this law to take effect, and that's what irks me more than anything. If a majority of people in the city wanted this to become law, then I would support it since it is their right as a municipality to create their own local laws, but this doesn't strike me as something that has popular support.

CX

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
To all that replied to my comment, yes i know that they are not directly stating cola as the cause, but it's pretty apparent to even the experts that it's what majorly contributed to her death.

But like saying smoking has never killed anyone if they'd died of lung cancer or the house burning down from a discarded cig.

CX.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice
Honestly it sounds like you dont know jack.....

Soda in any shape or form is enomusly unhealthy. There's absolutely nothing that warrants safeguarding sodaproduction, im surprised it had been allowed to survive for this long.

Refined sugar is a form of drug on the lvl of heroin etc. It's instantly addictive and shares the traits that nicotine has in the way that it makes you think you need it and thats its ok to consume it.
Sugarfree products are deadly in their own way since it has been proved over and over agin that sweeteners are directly linked to cancer.

I dont know why you are trying to defend the sale of soda products... Even by saying thats it has always been here.. Duuh. That doesnt mean its a safe product....

You need to educate yourself a bit regarding health and foods since this move by new york is a move based on public health rather than trying to take something away from you.

Here in Denmark we finally got tax on fat and sugar meaning that the foods or should we cal them snack became more expensive to buy than PROPER food. Excellent move since obesecity has become a public western issue. If you obese... I would go as far as saying youre a liability to society and need to be under administtration... Price and amounts on BAD products like soda and whatnot is a step in the right direction.
edit on 31/5/12 by flice because: (no reason given)

wow you need to educate yourself on rights

cause if i wanna drink 32 ounces of soda wtf do you care?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to neo96

Thanks for posting this Neo.

These health faddists are often found to be idiots, we have once again found a fool.
They say the path to hell is paved with good intentions, looks like New York's' plans to ban sugary drinks is applying the blacktop even as I speak.

Has anyone explained to the NY dolts that most "fruit juices" contain more sugar than soft drinks?
Do they understand most "fruit juices" contain less than 5% juice?
Do they even understand that unless they are drinking pure juices (best pressed at home) what they are buying is a concoction of chemicals (often dangerous)including, but not limited to; Sugar Substitutes, Corn Syrup, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Sucralose Dextros, Lactose, Malltose, Sodium Benzoate, Sodium Bicarbonate, Disodium Phosphate, Cellulose Gum, Glycerol, Mono and Digcerides, Polysorbates, Flavors produced from Chemicals, Chemical emulsifiers to give a more pronounced "mouth feel".
Adulterants including Citric Acid, Malik Acid, Ascorbic Acid, Thiamin HCL., Canola Oil, Saturated Fats,Trans fats,Sodium Citrate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Hexmetaphosphate, Calciuum, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Silicoaluminate, Sodium Sorbate, Sodium Chlorate, Potassium Sorbate, Modified Food Starch, Ester of Wood Rosin, Bromonated Vegetabe oil, Sunflower Oil, Iron, Potassium.
Vitamines; A, C, , Iron.

% daily requirement;
Calories: 60 to 90 per serving (1/2 cup), Sodium 500 to 980, Carbohydrates 14 grams 41%
And a lot of stuff we don't even know they put in there!--Emily Litella.
The Average Breakdown reads like this:
Sugars14, to 22%, Potassium to 3,500, Fat 80 to 150mg.
"And some stuff ya don't know what it is!"-Emily Latella.

I'll stick to Beer, and liquor.
As they say, Candy is Dandy, but liquor is quicker.
Kampai!

edit on 1-6-2012 by Luminaught because: Every thing looks worse in black and while.

edit on 1-6-2012 by Luminaught because: Alien Abduction.

edit on 1-6-2012 by Luminaught because: She blinded me with science!

edit on 1-6-2012 by Luminaught because: Miss Latella's quotation marks did not appear, still don't. RE: LOL WUT?

edit on 1-6-2012 by Luminaught because: Acid is such a small word, but somebody would have pointed out that I omitted it, so I fixed it. It's okay though because there is plenty one could critique here, dig it, 5am and Jose Cuervo is a very good friend of mine.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice
Honestly it sounds like you dont know jack.....

Soda in any shape or form is enomusly unhealthy. There's absolutely nothing that warrants safeguarding sodaproduction, im surprised it had been allowed to survive for this long.
It's "allowed" because people want it. YOU and people who think the way you do have neither mandate nor right nor privilege nor duty to protect people from their self-destructive tendencies. GET YOUR HANDS OFF MY BELLY!

Refined sugar is a form of drug on the lvl of heroin etc. It's instantly addictive and shares the traits that nicotine has in the way that it makes you think you need it and thats its ok to consume it.
and self-righteousness comes in a close second. I know this from long experience with it. It was easier to kick than sugar, which I'm still addicted to. (which is none of your flipping business)

Sugarfree products are deadly in their own way since it has been proved over and over agin that sweeteners are directly linked to cancer.
And what does that have to do with this ban, except that they are exempted?

I dont know why you are trying to defend the sale of soda products... Even by saying thats it has always been here.. Duuh. That doesnt mean its a safe product....
All that exists is as safe as possible. Jim Fixx died running. RUNNING! This illustrates that when it's your time, it's your time, and there is nothing you can do about it. Yes, it helps the conscience feel better to be a good steward of the body you have been given. But you are only permitted to steward your own body, not the bodies of others.

You need to educate yourself a bit regarding health and foods since this move by new york is a move based on public health rather than trying to take something away from you.
"public health" is an abstract that only exists in the minds of men, and indeed, different men see its scope and meaning differently, even among so-called "experts". Your argument is invalid.

Here in Denmark we finally got tax on fat and sugar meaning that the foods or should we cal them snack became more expensive to buy than PROPER food. Excellent move since obesecity has become a public western issue. If you obese... I would go as far as saying youre a liability to society and need to be under administtration...
There in Denmark, you still begrudge Icelanders their freedom. What makes Denmark the gold standard? (I mean, besides the awesome butter cookies)

Price and amounts on BAD products like soda and whatnot is a step in the right direction.
edit on 31/5/12 by flice because: (no reason given)
Great thing is, the mind controllers (look up the root meaning of govern-ment) get to decide FOR YOU what is BAD and what is GOOD, since you obviously are so confused as to demand that they do so.

Deny Ignorance

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Thought this was good for a split second, until I spotted that Aspartame is considered fine, I'm sure we can guess who's behind this

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Don't touch any of those drinks (Aspartame or Sugar), they leave you in a mess, best just to stick with non-fluoridated water, like nature intended.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
A vendor will probably make more money selling 2 drinks instead of 1 larger one. And that implies more tax revenue.

Any enforcement is a cost of more taxpayer money spent. If it is not enforced, not much good in the law. Enter the drink squad...

The workarounds that people come up with to have larger drinks will be a hoot, I imagine.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
government run amok, so instead of buying 1 giant size drink and a carton of cigarettes you`ll have to buy 2 smaller drinks to go with your carton of cigarettes, and this will make everyone healthier how??
The problem solving abilities of our elected representatives in this country is at an all time low.
They see no problem with letting people buy as many cigarettes as they want,but buying a big soda is unhealthy.
edit on 1-6-2012 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I kinda agree and I kinda don't on this issue.

On one hand we have a beverage if not used in moderation can result in obesiety and other side effects cause by too much sugar. The health of our population is crap due to our diet or rather lack there of since the american diet revolves around sugar salt and grease.. Someone has to do something since most people cannot connect health to their eating habits and were never taught how to have a healthy diet.. lack of education whether it be parents or government education whatever.

On the other hand DUE to the lack of education and responsibility people have with their health government is inclined to step in with outrageous bans like this one. If people were health conscious enough to know that that much sugar in a drink is bad for you we would not have a huge industry that revolves around it. Had people been more responsible for their own health the "market" should have hypothetically adapted to give the consumer what it wants.. which should be a healthy drink. Capitalism is all about profit it can set out to benefit others but is usually only for profit for the one conducting business.. it is the consumers job to tell the business what it wants. If what the consumer wants is bad junk they have no moral dilemma in giving the consumer what it wants even if it kills them as long as there is a demand for it.
Look at cigarrettes....

if any of you want to blame anyone for this look in the mirror to place the blame right where it should be.. we have all contributed to the success of the soft drink market. People should have taken personal responsibility for oneself before government decided to do for you. yeah people keep giving up your rights and freedoms. Freedoms come with responsibility attached to them. BE RESPONSIBLE AND THIS WILL NOT HAPPEN.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by antonia

Originally posted by macman

So, I guess you or the NY resident are just too dumb to make a decision for yourself?

The point was trans fats add nothing to food, are not necessary for food and have deleterious effects on health. If they are not required to use the offending substance to make a food item then you are not taking away a choice. You can still get the Twinky, the manufacturer just can't use hydrogenated oil to make it. Oh it's kinda like saying "Well you know lead is bad for you so let's not put that in paint". Can you not buy paint anymore? You can't compare it to banning guns or something of that manner because the food items still are available with the removal of the offending substance. This could also be done with tar based dyes, unnecessary food additives and added sodium nitrates. In fact, many countries do ban these items yet they can still get junk food.

I'm sure you still don't understand anyway.
edit on 31-5-2012 by antonia because: added a thought

edit on 31-5-2012 by antonia because: opps

Again, are you too dumb to make your own choice? Or does Govt need to do it for you?

I don't need rules and laws to tell me that I can't do or eat something. I can make that decision on my own, thank you.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

So they ban the big size normal soda with sugar, but allow the big size diet stuff loaded with aspartame?

All i can do is LOL.

Hypocriscy at it's best.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rubinstein
Don't touch any of those drinks (Aspartame or Sugar), they leave you in a mess, best just to stick with non-fluoridated water, like nature intended.

I'll stick with tap water (mine comes out of my back yard, or beneath it). Any idea which is worse though, Aspartame or Sugar? The latter I gave up for diabetic reasons. The former I'm rather stuck with since that's the only soda option left.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by superballs

wow you need to educate yourself on rights

cause if i wanna drink 32 ounces of soda wtf do you care?

yea lik wtf dood yo need to maybe

Learn to type Proper English.

Then again, who am I to say so? I'm probably the only living American who doesn't use the sophisticated phrase "what the f----k."

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think this is a step in the right direction. Clearly, drinking sugary drinks is unhealthy. I think the next step is to ban Starbucks coffee. After that, they need to look into the healthcare costs of sex outside of marriage and ban that as well. Let's not forget the untold cost of alcohol, tobacco, and other drugs. No need to legalize MJ, since that will cause lung problems due to the smoke itself. Oh, and let's not forget motorcycles. You're much safer in a car, so motorcycles should be banned too. I live in Colorado and keep reading about people tree bashing and dying on the slopes. No more skiing. It's about protecting you from yourself. SIEG HEIL!

(BTW, that was all sarcasm, as this is a stupid law. Just another example of Socialism at its finest.)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join