It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

New York Plans to Ban Sale of Big Sizes of Sugary Drinks

www.nytimes.com

New York City plans to enact a far-reaching ban on the sale of large sodas and other sugary drinks at restaurants, movie theaters and street carts, in the most ambitious effort yet by the Bloomberg administration to combat rising obesity.
The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be pro
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
What utter nonsense "soda" has been an staple in this country since the turn of the century, and they have been billion dollar industries and produced billion dollar tax revenues for government state and federal and jobs for those workers.Keeping sizes under 16 ounces what others will call rationing,

The "ban" doesn't apply to "diet" sodas which taste rather nasty in my opinion. Wait and see New York will face tax revenue loss from this "briliiant plan of action to combat obesity".

Total nonsense and fascist to say the least to tell people what they can or can't do with their own bodies.

Government knows best, and you don't know jack.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

The "ban" doesn't apply to "diet" sodas which taste rather nasty in my opinion. Wait and see New York will face tax revenue loss from this "briliiant plan of action to combat obesity".

Very interesting that it doesn't include diet soda... Do they want everyone getting cancer from coke zero or are they just getting something from coca cola for pushing the sale of it?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
The chance of the most populated city in America actually being able to go through with this? Slim to none. It wont happen.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Soon they will ban inhaling and exhaling. Carbon credits will be given to those who can hold their breath,till they pass out.........

News at 11..............

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Honestly it sounds like you dont know jack.....

Soda in any shape or form is enomusly unhealthy. There's absolutely nothing that warrants safeguarding sodaproduction, im surprised it had been allowed to survive for this long.

Refined sugar is a form of drug on the lvl of heroin etc. It's instantly addictive and shares the traits that nicotine has in the way that it makes you think you need it and thats its ok to consume it.
Sugarfree products are deadly in their own way since it has been proved over and over agin that sweeteners are directly linked to cancer.

I dont know why you are trying to defend the sale of soda products... Even by saying thats it has always been here.. Duuh. That doesnt mean its a safe product....

You need to educate yourself a bit regarding health and foods since this move by new york is a move based on public health rather than trying to take something away from you.

Here in Denmark we finally got tax on fat and sugar meaning that the foods or should we cal them snack became more expensive to buy than PROPER food. Excellent move since obesecity has become a public western issue. If you obese... I would go as far as saying youre a liability to society and need to be under administtration... Price and amounts on BAD products like soda and whatnot is a step in the right direction.
edit on 31/5/12 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBruddah

Very interesting that it doesn't include diet soda... Do they want everyone getting cancer from coke zero or are they just getting something from coca cola for pushing the sale of it?

Yeah since diet has never had the saturation point of regular sodas and the new health kick water. Never heard anything about coke zero causing cancer til now.

As with all things political there are always two groups lobbying for and against. To me this is like prohibition all over agian.

People want something they will get it.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

political bs at it's finest...

I guess if you want more soda...just go buy the whole 12 pack and drink the whole thing in protest...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by flice

I dont know why you are trying to defend the sale of soda products... Even by saying thats it has always been here.. Duuh. That doesnt mean its a safe product....

What i am defending is freedom of choice to do what a person wants to. Soda no matter what others think has been around this country for over 100 years.

100 years anyone ever died from it?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by flice

You need to educate yourself a bit regarding health and foods since this move by new york is a move based on public health rather than trying to take something away from you.

Sorry,but you don't find this totalitarian?

I do .

Healthy or not.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Is this article somehow suggesting that humans are incapable of turning down a large size drink?
seriously bizarre and evidence that the zombie apocalypse is well and truly with us

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Here is another thing those genius's are not thinking about is the volume of a 32 ounce soda is usually displaced by a volume of ice which takes away from the total volume of soda consumed,

Which means if the volume of ice filled top would displace at last half of the total volume of soda consumed.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:35 AM
link   
Maybe the heart is in the right place, but useless things like that will do nothing, except boost profits for the sellers. No more bulk discount so to speak. It's usually a tiny bit cheaper to buy a regular size, than two smalls. Know what I mean?

Fatty will just end up buying two regular sodas, to wash whatever greasy food down their gullet anyways. Just another useless rule stacked upon a million other useless rule. We have what 3409585092834908234 useless regulations in NY already

edit on Thu, 31 May 2012 01:39:51 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Most people are not informed about the dangers of soda and sugary drinks and this ban is for their own benefit. I support mayor Bloomberg on this 100% and its about time other politicians stopped thinking about money and revenue and started to think about the health of the citizens they serve.

edit on 31-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
double post
edit on 31-5-2012 by QQXXw because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by QQXXw
. I support mayor Bloomberg on this 100% and its about time other politicians stopped thinking about money and revenue and started to think about the health of the citizens they serve.

Then you support this..........Which I dont.

Totalitarianism (or totalitarian rule) is a political system where the state recognizes no limits to its authority and strives to regulate every aspect of public and private life wherever feasible

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

While what you say is true, back in the day soda used to be more of a treat to be had when you went out to a resteraunt or whatnot. There are stupid people these days, that have replaced water with soda, as dumb as that sounds. Not that I agree with things like these, but times sure are changing.

Now that the government has forced their way deeper into healthcare though, I have a feeling it is only the beginning

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
In Denmark they did the oppesite, they raised the tax on sugar (and fat) overall, in the name of health.

People are still buying as much as before the raise, and the tax money is flowing in to the goverment.

It's not about health

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
First "they" went after the smokers...for health reasons.

Now "they" are aiming at large sugar sodas...for health reasons.

Does anyone see a pattern in this?

XL5

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
Next, they will tax cases of soda because of all the extra packaging. Honestly, its seems we are becoming what was seen in the movie Demolition man. They will ban toilet paper and replace it with 3 sea shells one day.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join