It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10-year-old deaf girl hears herself for the first time-Must See!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLastStand

The title says she 'hears herself' for the first time so thx for raining on the parade. Other members have posted information throughout the thread if you choose to inform yourself

Thx!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

The title says she 'hears herself' for the first time so thx for raining on the parade. Other members have posted information throughout the thread if you choose to inform yourself

Thx!

funny, cuz the article had read " Imagine being deaf your whole life".

Yes I imagined it but that has nothing to do with this story because that girl had learned to speak like that by hearing herself. So announcing that she just heard herself for the first time is a load of malarky as well. Plus the implants they are releasing soon are actually clearer and do not sound like stephen hawking is talking to you all the time. In fact, I would peg this one as an oops we should have waited a year longer because then she wouldn't be needing another surgery to put in a liveable implant.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Stephen Hawkings is correct. I have been deaf since I was two years old, and I cannot help but notice that there is no signing in the video. The deaf population is a sad one: they are expected to understand hearing people, while hearing people generally make no effort to understand THEM. Yeah, her emotions are getting hold of her, poor thing. She will have a lonely life unless she becomes profficient in ASL and seek her own kind. Word.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Beowulf52 because: spelling errors

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand

Yes I imagined it but that has nothing to do with this story because that girl had learned to speak like that by hearing herself. So announcing that she just heard herself for the first time is a load of malarky as well. Plus the implants they are releasing soon are actually clearer and do not sound like stephen hawking is talking to you all the time. In fact, I would peg this one as an oops we should have waited a year longer because then she wouldn't be needing another surgery to put in a liveable implant.

Again, the title says it all:
10-year-old deaf girl hears herself for the first time-Must See!!,

The thread, that i wrote myself, not the article, reads:
"Imagine being deaf your whole life" yes, but it was not meant meant to sway you to think she was deaf her whole life, infact, the title, as mentioned, says she hears HERSELF for the first time.

The article says that she is hearing herself breathe for the first time as well..

In the above clip, Sammie is visibly jolted once the implant is turned on and begins to cry after hearing herself breathe for the first time, an event that the whole family fondly remembers.

The point was to show the joy and happiness on her face and how she obviously is amazed and extremely happy about it!
And why is there always one of you who does this to a good thread? lol
edit on 5/29/2012 by Nspekta because: pushed the wrong button

edit on 5/29/2012 by Nspekta because: leading question removed lol

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Amazingly moving video.
I don't know but the girl does not
seem all there. Maybe an underlying
aspergers or mild autism.

Is the family getting a government check
and will she be on government disability
her whole life>?
Amazingly moving video.
If this implant can help her work
in the future then I would have no problem
with government money going to fund it..
If she has an underlying issue though is this
really going to make her a more productive citizen?
edit on 29-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Thanks Op, awesome. A good news story.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
OMG! You guys are going to kill me with these videos. I'm all misty eyed. Who said grown men don't cry? I can't help but think of what Jesus did 2,000 years ago. It must have been so emotional and joyous knowing that God walked among us and healed so many broken people. Jesus was the man! Now I know why it says "Jesus wept" at the resurrection of Lazarus. This world needs that kind of faith, hope, and love again!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand

Again, the title says it all:
10-year-old deaf girl hears herself for the first time-Must See!!,

The thread, that i wrote myself, not the article, reads:
"Imagine being deaf your whole life" yes, but it was not meant meant to sway you to think she was deaf her whole life, infact, the title, as mentioned, says she hears HERSELF for the first time.

The article says that she is hearing herself breathe for the first time as well..

In the above clip, Sammie is visibly jolted once the implant is turned on and begins to cry after hearing herself breathe for the first time, an event that the whole family fondly remembers.

The point was to show the joy and happiness on her face and how she obviously is amazed and extremely happy about it!
And why is there always one of you who does this to a good thread? lol
edit on 5/29/2012 by Nspekta because: pushed the wrong button

edit on 5/29/2012 by Nspekta because: leading question removed lol

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Amazingly moving video.

her whole life>?
Amazingly moving video.

Wow. That's the first place you went with this? "Hey, good for you, kid, but I sure hope I'm not paying for this."

Unbelievable.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
God bless you sweetie, may you enjoy your new life and all the wonderful things and sounds that are sure to follow. Damn onions again...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Morgenstern89

No kidding, some people don't know how to recognize the things that really matter in life.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
OMG, i will join the ones of tears. The one deaf one who says water may be a problem, ok , just stay away from water in the ear. If i were that person, i would rather hear and stay away from water in the ear. A simple choice. I myself would stay away from water in the ear than not hearing at all. This is a tech that should be for progress in humanity. Everyone should have a choice, me, if i had that problem, i would use the device and stay away from water in the ear. cheers to the people who made this happen and FINALLY, i get to witness a happenning of goodness on A.T.S instead of gloom and doom. THANK YOU A.T.S. CHEERS AND LOVE.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by RustyNailer

Seems pretty straightforward, doesn't it? Hearing matters? What about those who cannot hear? Do they matter as well? I am rather discouraged that there is the perception that there is something wrong with deaf children (and people in general who cannot hear). I know people who had their infants implanted with cochlear implants because they cannot bear the idea of their children growing up to understand the answer to the riddle, "What is the sound of one hand clapping?" I have been deaf all my life and I know the answer to that.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Beowulf52

No one ever said that deaf individuals don't matter. And just because deafness is recognized as a disability does not imply that people think there is anything "wrong" with deaf people. Medical technology is advancing, and it's only natural that as a result they will try and fix such things. Deafness, blindness, paralysis, etc. Why not? I tend to agree with people that implanting a baby is a bad idea. By the time they are in their teens the technology will probably be less invasive and more advanced. But for those who want to give it a go, why not? No one is forcing it upon anyone.

Originally posted by Beowulf52
She will have a lonely life unless she becomes profficient in ASL and seek her own kind. Word.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Beowulf52 because: spelling errors

What a cruel and pessimistic view. She seems to have a family that loves her and supports her. I can't blame her for not wanting to jump aboard the deaf supremacist ship. Is it so terrible that she wants to be able to better understand and communicate with those around her? Or should she just let her disability define her and stick with "her own kind"? Which one is the more lonely life?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
And for those who are curious, here's the youtube channel with all of her update videos:

www.youtube.com...

They are very interesting. There's a few before the surgery, some a few hours after surgery, weeks later, etc. I believe her little brother is getting the same procedure done as well.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Wonders if ATS would care as much if it was a grown man instead of the magical little girl.

Just random thoughts of a bored person.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
We have made the blind see and the deaf hear.... We have the technologies.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Oh man this hit me hard. My daughter who is 7 is hearing challenged. This gives me so much hope for her, you have no idea! Man I am sitting here crying like a little nancy boy. Amazing the good that technology can bring when it is used for good.

edit on 5/29/2012 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem
Amazingly moving video.

her whole life>?
Amazingly moving video.

Spoken like a true communist.
scary...very...very scary

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm a grown a$s man and I always weep when I watch videos like this!
It's amazing how technology when put into good use, will make hearts skip a beat out of joy!

Good find OP!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join