It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10-year-old deaf girl hears herself for the first time-Must See!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+31 more 
posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
This is a really cool video i just saw and i thought i would share it. Imagine being deaf your whole life, and then being able to hear for the first time?! How crazy awesome would that be?!

In the above clip, Sammie is visibly jolted once the implant is turned on and begins to cry after hearing herself breathe for the first time, an event that the whole family fondly remembers.

Yahoo

Anyways, Check it out:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Wow, that's some powerful stuff! Great for her, her family and so many others this tech may assist. Yea technology and yea human spirit!
Now I will wipe my eyes.

Sammie's younger brother, Jacob, 9, who went deaf "rapidly" over the last two years, also recently made it through his cochlear implant surgery and is scheduled to have his implant turned on June 7.

What a blessing for the family.

Peace
edit on 28-5-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
EN-JOYED...Thank you for posting. Of course I cried too, what a sweetheart.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Well now I'm just a big sobbing mess ...

Awesome video. Thanks for the share OP

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I completely lost it. I don't remember ever crying for joy, but I just did, and I am a mess. That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
That vid made me very happy

The source article says she went deaf as a toddler and has been wearing hearing aids since then. I guess this is the first time she can remember hearing her own breathing

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
What a good Daddy, he went over to comfort his lil girl. I was surprised to hear it was the Mommy filming. Boy O boy have times changed. I remember mothers being the nurturers when I was little. My family is like their's in the sense that I'm the one to jump up and take care of my little girl. Not that it's anyone's fault, It just doesn't seem to cross my wife's mind like it does mine. God bless them!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Im glad I watched this video, I was feeling kinda down today, and this just picked me right back up. makes you realize that if your having a bad day, its nothing to what some people see, feel, or hear everyday, Thanks OP. and Thank you Sammie for you are a true brave little girl. ALL SMILES NOW, I needed that

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

I guess I am a member of the cryers club too. I can not remember the last time I cried over being happy, I was happy for that little girl. Thank god both my babies have been and are healthy. I am also happy that this little girl is going to get to enjoy something that almost all of us takes for granted. Imagine what the sound of mommy's/daddy's voice or music is going to sound like to this little girl. That was the fastest 6 minute video I ever watched.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Turkenstein because: added the last sentence

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I remember when i was able to hear for the first time, I was nearly deaf when i was younger, I was 10 or 11 years old and everything around me was so loud I had to cover my ears all the time because i was not use to it.

later on that day i used the toilet for the first time with my new hearing and flushed the toilet, It was so loud i feel to my knees and started screaming becuse it was so loud and scary to me because i never heard a toilet flush. I dident know what the sound was.

Its great she can hear again but its going to be really scary at first.
edit on 29-5-2012 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I think people are misunderstanding whats going on here though. This girl has been using hearing aids to be able to hear since she was a baby. Its not like she had been living life totally without sound though the hearing aids dont pick up sound as well as the new device.

I've had hearing aids for seven and a half years," Sammie said after learning that her surgery had been moved up from May 25 to April 13. "I know all about them, but this is something completely different."

Now she has had a different type of hearing aid called a cochlear implant which is buried inside her ear so for the first time since she was a baby she can also hear herself breath as the ear / nose and throat are all connected up together.

Its still great news that she has a working cochlear implant

edit on 29-5-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
What a wonderful video.

I need a tissue too. It's good to cry tears of happiness.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
I think people are misunderstanding whats going on here though. This girl has been using hearing aids to be able to hear since she was a baby. Its not like she had been living life totally without sound thought the hearing aids dont pick up sound as well as the new devices.

I've had hearing aids for seven and a half years," Sammie said after learning that her surgery had been moved up from May 25 to April 13. "I know all about them, but this is something completely different."

Now she has had a different type of hearing aid called a cochlear implant which is buried inside her ear so for the first time since she was a baby she can also hear herself breath as the ear / nose and throat are all connected up together.

Its still great news that she has a working cochlear implant

edit on 29-5-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

Hearing aids and Cochlear implants are two entirely different things.

She's not crying just because she can hear, she's crying for many other different reasons. She's crying out of joy of knowing that she now has the full potential to do whatever she wants to do with her life without the fear of failure. She's crying because she knows that her potential she just went though the roof. She's smart, unique and most important of all she knows better than not to take her hearing for granted. She will use it to her advantage to be who she wants to be in live.

Trust me, I would know. For being someone who is completely deaf in one year with 80% loss in the other and I wear one hearing aid.

Bless that little girls heart. I wish her the best of luck in life.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Thx to everyone for their responses! Sorry to make you cry! lol I hafta say that i watched this at work, and had to close my office door once she started crying, i thought i was going to lose it too!

Glad you all enjoyed it!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Incredible and absolutely heartwarming!
I'm sat here crying as i type this.
Great post, thanks!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
another member of the cryers club here! we see so much doom and gloom on ats, nice to see something positive like this, for a change.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Just wait until she hears music for the first time.. That's going to blow her little mind...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I shed a tear as well. A tear of joy when her father went to comfort her. I miss my dad. I am very happy for this little girl, technology has the potential for both good and evil.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

I m glad for this girl. BUT I HOPE THAT IS HER CHOICE! NOT MOM"S NOT PARENTS NOT DOCTOR! many parents forced deaf child to take implant. I m against cochlear implant reason.. with implant you cant swim, careful in shower. many things that u cant do like normal people does because Implant can easy get infection. if you get hit on the head u could die due implant in head. there a little boy deaf with implant he drown . that little boy was so wet over his body. EMS arrived and tried to revivie him with shock. that little boy head BLOW OUT. because implant are electirc. dont mix with the water and electic.

Also i noticed that there are 2 different of Deaf and deaf worlds.
Deaf that we use sign language, hang out with deaf people. full Deaf culture! I'm one of them.
deaf is that most deaf people are forced to have oral speak, and cochlear implant by parents. they will sent to hearing school they will never know real deaf culture.

I m one of MAIN Deaf that against cochlear implant . I m against parent , doctor who force deaf childs to take implant. I thank God that my mom didnt do that for me. I m deaf and i m ok with that. I really hope personally that girl's decide not mom's not dad's not doctor's because it s her life.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaMod
Just wait until she hears music for the first time.. That's going to blow her little mind...

She's probably heard music before. But you're right. Her mind will be blown next tine she listens to music. Why? Because she'll be able to actually hear the words without having to read the lyrics to the song online. Music to us, is just music without knowing what words people are saying. We know they are sing, rapping, talking or whatever but we just don't know what the words are unless we have something to follow along with the song, the lyrics.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join