It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists uncover deja vu mystery

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
An there is no double post! its Deja Vu, just in print so you can be sure!

I wonder if we could actually force deja vu by stimulating the hyppocampus and maybe remember some lost memory.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

medicalxpress.com
Researchers from the Czech Republic and the United Kingdom have discovered a link between the déjà vu phenomenon and structures in the human brain,

Good on them!

effectively confirming the neurological origin of this phenomenon

Extreme exaggeration to the point of absurdity.

edit on 28-5-2012 by AlchemicalMonocular because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057
reply to post by daaskapital

Further proof the enlightenment and stupidity go hand in hand.

L
L
awesome post there
proves the point i made previously

superficial pretentious, and ignorant
passing itself off as wisdom, especially when ass-uming things they so obviously know nothing about [enlightenment ]

i'll leave the spelling error to the spelling nazis

Scientists uncover deja vu mystery= positivist-materialists issue a new software patch for Positivism 1.0

Deja View patch for Positivism 1.0 fixes the deja vu bug and adds new features to Positivism 1.0. The file is a large download and can be applied to any version of Positivism 1.0 Home, Professional, or Media Consumer (32 bit only). However, you must have installed either Positivism 1.0 SP1 or SP2 .

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
but what triggers this? this is still superficial understanding of things

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Whatever!!! Sure would like to know how my brain can see the future then... cause my Deja vue is me reliving some part of my life, so when I have one I know how its going to end and it does everytime... just like me seeing the future...

I think they just found the place it happens and that is it!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
This is interesting to me! I wonder how it relates to seizure activity and if that would be a trigger for it? I have hormonal seizures, I don't pass out or anything, but get that strong deja vue thing that happens. I'll have to read more on that link later when the kids have gone to bed tonight!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by kat2684
I agree with the poster that said science wants to make people who have deja vu feel like imbeciles.I completely see that, they use every attempt to strip away the mysteries of us, to scientific robotic, no depth BS and that gets under my skin.I have deja vu quite often, I also have a memory like an elephant, some of us even remember being infants or dreams we had as toddlers.That shows some people have strong cognative abilities maybe people who do not have deja vu have weak memory skills. There always has to be something wrong with people who have unexplainable experiences in the eyes of science, that shows they have no intrest in doing their job just debunking with outrageous explanations. Sorry guys if you have deja vu, you have a peanut brain therefore anything you have amazing to share with us is a this point irrelavent.

Thanks OP......I let my anger out with this post lol.

It probably has little to nothing to do with IQ. This is just about one brain region which might not even affect any cognitive abilities.
It was some narrow minded/uneducated posters on here that claimed this and not science.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

The findings of their study showed that the size of these structures are considerably smaller in the brains of the people experiencing déjà vu, compared with individuals who had no personal experience with déjà vu.

The team observed how small structures in the brain's medial temporal lobes, in which memory and recollections originate, were considerably smaller in individuals with the occurrence of déjà vu than in individuals who have not experienced déjà vu. Their findings also showed that the more often the examined individuals experience déjà vu, the smaller the brain structures are.

My question is this;

Regarding a healthy person who has never experienced a single deja vu in his life. Consider these peoples "structures" to be the original size.

Then all of a sudden this person experience a deja vu and suddenly alters his structure making it appear to be smaller then the original. That's one experience. Cause and effect.

The more experience this person has, the smaller and smaller it gets. Similar to opening a box, within a box, within a box. Each box represent experience.

Regarding this research. The first thing I'd be interested in looking for would be finding somebody who has never experienced a deja vu, scanning this persons brain to make note of the original size of it's "structure" and finally comparing it after this person experienced it's first deja vu.

Basically I would hate for them to disregard other possibilities. Judging by the article, it sounds like as if they made the decision that deja vu's are experienced only by people who have these smaller structures.
edit on 28-5-2012 by TheProphetMark because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   

The team observed how small structures in the brain's medial temporal lobes, in which memory and recollections originate, were considerably smaller in individuals with the occurrence of déjà vu than in individuals who have not experienced déjà vu. Their findings also showed that the more often the examined individuals experience déjà vu, the smaller the brain structures are.

Funny thing is... I have deja vu all the time. Funny thing is, my memory is impeccable compared to most. Ever since I was a child I've had a knack for storing and recalling memories and information. So explain me "science"?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy88

Funny thing is... I have deja vu all the time. Funny thing is, my memory is impeccable compared to most. Ever since I was a child I've had a knack for storing and recalling memories and information. So explain me "science"?

Something tells me that this new theory is wrong. Since I too experience deja vue all the time. In fact, daily. And can remember the first apartment I ever lived in. Along with many great memories. We moved out when I was one!
I can also remember during that same time watching my older sister stick coins and cigarette ashes in her mouth and thinking, "what a moron".
Babies are smarter than you think.

When I went to collge I realized that my memory was spectacular. And I thrived in the atmosphere of bio organic chemistry, immunology, microbiology, and hematology. In fact I was the only person from my original class to graduate of my own accord. And I did it with high honors. There is nothing wrong with my memory!

Oh and I also have the knack of remembering converstaions from at least a year prior.
edit on 28-5-2012 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
This doesnt change nor prove anything

scientists also know which parts of the brain light up when a person east an apple, orange, or sees their loved one approaching. So either the brain is just creating the apple, orange, loved one (an so everything is illusion). Or those or just the corresponding areas that light u for those aspects of reality.

Were still at the chicken or the egg debate when it comes to deja vu and this study proves nothing at all

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
My daughter and I have experienced deja vu at the same time, many times. There was a few times that I was experiencing deja vu and I wouldn't say anything and out of the blue she'd say she just had deja vu. Everytime it was the same trigger object (a building, an unfamilar road intersection, standing and looking at the same scenery) that caused us to have deja vu at the same time.

Pretty weird.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by putnamcrab
Whatever!!! Sure would like to know how my brain can see the future then... cause my Deja vue is me reliving some part of my life, so when I have one I know how its going to end and it does everytime... just like me seeing the future...

I think they just found the place it happens and that is it!

yeh, these dudes don't know #.
we all know what deja vu really is deep down. there just finding out what causes the feeling. but they don't know what makes that part of the brain trigger. and yeh it's a memory-not "your" memory though
edit on 28-5-2012 by biggmoneyme because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Didn't we just talk about this subject?

I thought we did....

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Talking about Déjà vu. It happened to me today. I was riding a long in a car. I saw exactly the same moped going past on the other side of the road at the exact place where I saw it on Monday.
I was freaked out.
Then somehow when me and my friend drove past a fish and chips shop, the chip shop had exactly the same amount of hot wings as it did on Monday. I know personally that they sell out quickly and they make them fresh every day.

I thought I might share it

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

The term déjà vu is French and means, literally, "already seen." Those who have experienced the feeling describe it as an overwhelming sense of familiarity with something that shouldn't be familiar at all.

The phenomenon is rather complex, and there are many different theories as to why déjà vu happens. Swiss scholar Arthur Funkhouser suggests that there are several "déjà experiences" and asserts that in order to better study the phenomenon, the nuances between the experiences need to be noted. In the examples mentioned above, Funkhouser would describe the first incidence as déjà visite ("already visited") and the second as déjà vecu ("already experienced or lived through"). As much as 70 percent of the population reports having experienced some form of déjà vu. A higher number of incidents occurs in people 15 to 25 years old than in any other age group.

Source.

The only solid evidence we have have is a link in the size of a specific brain structure, and a weak correlation to ESP abilities. So why do over 70% of the population admit to having such an experience?

There are a lot of ATS members admitting to deja vu, myself included. It doesn't really change the reality I am in at all, just my perception of it. Does the above sourced link point to a link that over 70% of the population have untrained, latent, physic abilities?

Would you admit you have ESP, beyond the normal five, call it intuition, wisdom, whatever?

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:52 PM
link   
The answer they will eventually get to is that deja vu is the overlapping of memories. You have done millions of things in your life and you are bound to repeat one day or moment. Your brain records a memory on top of another one so as you are realizing the present you are also experiencing a memory recall simultaneously

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by karen61057

Further proof the enlightenment and stupidity go hand in hand.

Was that directed at me personally?

If so, i beg to differ. I was only reporting the news i found so ATS could read and deconstruct the source. At most times, ATS's research skills and knowledge are second to none. But when people come on here and spout crap like that, it is not helping anyone deconstruct information, it is only polluting the thread with pointless posts.

Good day to you.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

medicalxpress.com

Researchers from the Czech Republic and the United Kingdom have discovered a link between the déjà vu phenomenon and structures in the human brain, effectively confirming the neurological origin of this phenomenon.

researchers discovered that specific brain structures have a direct impact on the déjà vu experience.

(visit the link for the full news article)

this is pure nonsense, every single year scientists say they figured out the deja vu again, but they don't know ****

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by juleol

I understand that some posters were claiming that, I sometimes feel, and maybe its wishful thinking on my part that humans are amazing sentient beings, and science almost always tries to make us seem as though our main function, is to function biologically, and there is not much to us.....Science never seems to dabble into how someone could have an accurate prediction....just neurological aspect, which is only half the answer.

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join