It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists uncover deja vu mystery

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

That is a keen ATS mind at work.

Keep posting. You have a knack with words, so kudos!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Thank you Druid 42......I'm trying

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by akushla99

Me too, but they have not uncovered everything, only the part of the brain that does this kind of work.

I, as many others, have actually experienced deja vu many times, and I swear blind to my grave that I had dreamt or experienced events way before they ever happened.. this is the part that science now needs to explain.

How does this occur..
Are our lives plotted out in some way that combines fate/destiny with freedom of choice.. We are destined to make certain freedoms of choice that lead us to our fate..

The current theory is that Deja Vu is caused by timing errors across various parts of the brain. One part of the brain is still processing something (like a visual image of some object) while other parts of the brain have already finished. This gives a feeling that you have seen or done something before.

edit on 28/5/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Actually there are 2 types of deja vue as far as I am concerned. The kind that means nothing, and also the precog kind. For example, I have a habbit of dreaming about my vacation destination in advance. And will have full memory of them. Then, while on vacation, I will be standing in the same spot as my precog, and go wowza! Now in a sense, you really have visited that spot before.

The fact that that I frequently have both types makes me feel that there is a connection. Perhaps this flaw in processing is also causing compensation. Like I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I feel my brain compensates for sensory dysfunction with psychic abilities.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Actually there are 2 types of deja vue as far as I am concerned. The kind that means nothing, and also the precog kind. For example, I have a habbit of dreaming about my vacation destination in advance. And will have full memory of them. Then, while on vacation, I will be standing in the same spot as my precog, and go wowza! Now in a sense, you really have visited that spot before.

The fact that that I frequently have both types makes me feel that there is a connection. Perhaps this flaw in processing is also causing compensation. Like I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread, I feel my brain compensates for sensory dysfunction with psychic abilities.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by elouina

Ah Ha.... Deja Vu!

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectAnomoly
I was under the impression that Deja Vu had already been explained... this is the commonly held understanding:-

"a momentary infinitesimal lag in the operation of two co-active sensory nerve centers that commonly function simultaneously"

This explains the phenomenon adequately I believe....

PA

Alas no, that's not what this study has determined

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 11:47 PM
link   

And did you check out the post time for both?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   

And did you check out the post time for both?

That 'ole keybounce! Cheerz!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I have been hit really hard with deja vu a few times, if that makes sense. It gave me goosebumps, made my hair stand on end, got light headed, blew my mind totally.

One time it was something someone was saying during a conversation. I knew what they were going to say before they said it somehow. It was four sentences, it hit me during the first sentence, and I knew what the other three were going to be. It made me feel insane really, it happened after a wedding when talking to a cousin I had not seen in like 15 years. She was telling me about something that happened to her the year before.

All the others were strong visual experiences, always in places I never went before, and not anything I would know from say a travel guide. Places on strange random adventures, meeting locals, and them saying oh let me show you this cool place. Middle of nowhere type places really.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Some say that the deja vu event was something that they had once dreampt of, so what made the dream real? Was the underlying message of the dream the key that made the person choose the exact path that led to the deja vu event?

Count me in. I'm forever bombarded with premonitions that stem from my dreams. I even have premonitions of dreams! It happens all the time.

It is the same feeling as deja vu. I don't think that the scientific type of deja vu is exactly the same, as I have had that feeling "we've met before" and made nothing of it, but that was long ago. Nowadays, I feel something that I can trace back to a dream, or trace in some way.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

Scientists uncover deja vu mystery

medicalxpress.com

Researchers from the Czech Republic and the United Kingdom have discovered a link between the déjà vu phenomenon and structures in the human brain, effectively confirming the neurological origin of this phenomenon.

researchers discovered that specific brain structures have a direct impact on the déjà vu experience.

(visit the link for the full news article)

let the burgeoning of biological time-travel ensue....

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
If you believe in the Many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics and there is no such thing as time, Deja vu becomes is completely possible.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

IMO deja vu is a feeling of REMEMBERING. for those who have entertained hallucinogens...especially mushrooms....i describe at as a constant experience of AHAH!!!!!! as if you have suddenly remembered everything and everything makes sense.

deja vu is simply, for me, a momentary moment of remembering something. we may never know exactly what it is we are remembering but it promotes a FEELING of remembering.

so perhaps just as easy is it for us to spin in circles and feel dizzy...there are moments where we just simply REMEMBER....remember what? who the heck knows, this is where i feel our brain tries to justify this feeling of remembering, BUT in essence it is a feeling of remembering something...an "oh yeah" moment where there is no connection whatsoever to why and how that "oh yeah" feeling arose

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I'm not buying the explanation. It's like saying "Hey, now we know automobiles are made of steel, so that's how they work!" Nope, bzzz, fail. The temporal lobes may play a role, but to what extent is yet to be known as far as I'm concerned. We don't yet understand the full mechanics of the experience, so we don't really have a full explanation for it.

I want to see scientists explain multi-person experiences of deja vu. The husband and I have shared deja vu experiences fairly regularly. We had one yesterday, and it gave us the chills. Standing in the bedroom in front of the dresser & wardrobe putting away laundered clothes, we both stopped chatting at the same time, and just slowly turned to each other. He said, "We've already done this before, the clothes & the conversation, AND this feeling of deja vu." I said back, "Yeah, we have. I've got that deja vu sense of having deja vu about this before, too." It was seriously creepy. Deja vu of deja vu of the chore & conversation, and the feeling did not ebb after a few moments, it seemed to last upwards of a minute or so. With both of us. Explain that, scientists.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:56 AM
link   
If I am not mistaken, I read in a medical journal some time back that the feeling of Déjà vu was when there is a slight chemical imbalance (cant remember which part of the brain) in your visual information processing where, for a second or two, your dominant eye processes information faster than your weaker eye, giving you the feeling or memory of seeing something before.

Which could also explain why persons may have them at or around the same time, being a chemical imbalance and all. Example, Husband and wife, live in the same house, eat the same foods, breath the same air, ingesting or absorbing chemicals/materials that may cause similar imbalances? Seems plausible enough to me.

Of course, I am no doctor or scientist and couldn’t say for sure, just something I found interesting….

edit on 29-5-2012 by JBpage76 because: addition of subjet matter

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JBpage76

Which makes absolutely no sense whatsoever...

What I mean is, can you imagine the amount of kit a person would have to be wired into and carry around with them all the time in order to be able to get scientific, measurable reactions everytime deja vu occurred~?

Test subjects may never have the experience.. and it's not like it happens everyday to those who do experience it, so just how the hooting heck did they come up with that specific answer?

Would be interesting to see how they worked that out..

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Don’t shoot the messenger, just recalling what I read. yeah, I don’t know how they would gather the intel either, way above my level of medical knowledge, just thought it was interesting.

another possible explanation is that it is just a glitch in the matrix…lol

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JBpage76

no worries, was not having a go at you.
Didn't intend to make it look that way.. I'm not the type to do that really.

What I was trying to get at, like many other posts in this thread is how "science" comes up with answers like this that just leave you asking even more questions, like, how'd they work that out?

I can just see it now, someone hospitalised being used as a lab rat..
"Just lay there, stare at the ceiling like you do all day, every day..We'll attach these probes to you eyes and brain and you just let us know when you experience having done all this before... "

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

De ja vu is said by some to be the results of "memories" created by alternate versions of yourself...courses of action you took in a parallel universe, or places you went in a parallel universe, and you just happen to stumble upon that exact same event. Therefore, the place or motion triggers the memory in your mind, a memory of something your other self did but you have never done.

You "remember" doing it...even though it was your parallel self who did it.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join