It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists uncover deja vu mystery

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Scientists uncover deja vu mystery

medicalxpress.com

Researchers from the Czech Republic and the United Kingdom have discovered a link between the déjà vu phenomenon and structures in the human brain, effectively confirming the neurological origin of this phenomenon.

researchers discovered that specific brain structures have a direct impact on the déjà vu experience.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

The team observed how small structures in the brain's medial temporal lobes, in which memory and recollections originate, were considerably smaller in individuals with the occurrence of déjà vu than in individuals who have not experienced déjà vu. Their findings also showed that the more often the examined individuals experience déjà vu, the smaller the brain structures are.

When we stimulate the hippocampus, we are able to induce déjà vu in neurological patients. By finding the structural differences in hippocampus in healthy individuals who do and do not experience déjà vu, we have unambiguously proved that déjà vu is directly linked to the function of these brain structures. We think that it is probably a certain small "error in the system" caused by higher excitability of hippocampuses. It is the consequence of changes in the most sensitive brain regions which probably occurred in the course of the development of the neural system."

Finally some solid evidence suggesting where déjà vu originates from. So, the smaller the brain structures are, the more likely one is to experience déjà vu. Interesting...

What does ATS have to say regarding this topic?

medicalxpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Fair enough, they've found the bits of the brain that are connected to the experience of deja vu but, imo, this still leaves us with the question of why does deja vu occure and how is that one can experience something in the brain only for that event to actually happen days/weeks/years later?

Are these types of brain having premonitions? Is it a paranormal link? Are dreams part of the equation?

Some say that the deja vu event was something that they had once dreampt of, so what made the dream real?
Was the underlying message of the dream the key that made the person choose the exact path that led to the deja vu event?

Do people who claim to be mediums have similar brains? Are they really able to tune into something that reaches beyond, but on the same kind of frequency as deja vu?
In other words, a deja vu event is something that happens in the futre from a past dream/image/message whereas a medium experiences things from the past in the present (talking to/seeing long dead people/events)

I'm glad that we are one step closer to answering some of this, that there is actual physical evidence in our bodies. Now all we need to do is join the dots..

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Well then...move along, nothing more to see!
I love it when science uncovers things...

Alove

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by akushla99

Me too, but they have not uncovered everything, only the part of the brain that does this kind of work.

I, as many others, have actually experienced deja vu many times, and I swear blind to my grave that I had dreamt or experienced events way before they ever happened.. this is the part that science now needs to explain.

How does this occur..
Are our lives plotted out in some way that combines fate/destiny with freedom of choice.. We are destined to make certain freedoms of choice that lead us to our fate..

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Fair enough, they've found the bits of the brain that are connected to the experience of deja vu but, imo, this still leaves us with the question of why does deja vu occure and how is that one can experience something in the brain only for that event to actually happen days/weeks/years later?

Are these types of brain having premonitions? Is it a paranormal link? Are dreams part of the equation?

Some say that the deja vu event was something that they had once dreampt of, so what made the dream real?
Was the underlying message of the dream the key that made the person choose the exact path that led to the deja vu event?

Do people who claim to be mediums have similar brains? Are they really able to tune into something that reaches beyond, but on the same kind of frequency as deja vu?
In other words, a deja vu event is something that happens in the futre from a past dream/image/message whereas a medium experiences things from the past in the present (talking to/seeing long dead people/events)

I'm glad that we are one step closer to answering some of this, that there is actual physical evidence in our bodies. Now all we need to do is join the dots..

Excellent comment!

Yes, it does leave some questions unanswered.

I want to know exactly what triggers the excitement process which in turn sparks the deja vu. Right now, we know that it can be manually triggered under scientific conditions, but i want to know what naturally excites the brain structures during development which cause deja vu.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital

I say pfffrttsss ... what a load of crap.

If I translate what they're saying, it's ... only stupid people, with very little memory capacity and less brain complexity, have deja vu. The expected result of this is that, in future ... fewer people will report Deja Vu, as they don't wanna be called imbeciles.

Deja Vu, has never really been a mystery ... since we already could exclude "past experiences". It's a delay between your senses and your conscience. That's always been known ...

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I was under the impression that Deja Vu had already been explained... this is the commonly held understanding:-

"a momentary infinitesimal lag in the operation of two co-active sensory nerve centers that commonly function simultaneously"

This explains the phenomenon adequately I believe....

PA

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

The trigger that excites these parts could be one of many things, or a combination of lots of things..

Let's say, for example, that your exact birth date is aligned perfectly to a particular star pattern, this star pattern is then also aligned with the planet and it's lines of magnetic energy (ley/lay lines).

So, one night, when the moon is full and powerful, you have a dream.. the plot is set..

Years later, you're walking down the road and destiny (and things mentioned above) bring you to a convergence and all thepoints make contact.
At this point, the actual event you dreamt of takes place and your brain triggers the memory giving you that buzzing feeling of having done it before..

Hope you get what I mean and it's just an idea.. an example of one possible way it could occur

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
reply to post by akushla99

Me too, but they have not uncovered everything, only the part of the brain that does this kind of work.

I, as many others, have actually experienced deja vu many times, and I swear blind to my grave that I had dreamt or experienced events way before they ever happened.. this is the part that science now needs to explain.

How does this occur..
Are our lives plotted out in some way that combines fate/destiny with freedom of choice.. We are destined to make certain freedoms of choice that lead us to our fate..

I should have been more cynical, I guess...
I don't believe they have found anything of the sort...

Alove

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Excellent thread.

I've always loved Deja Vu, glad to know there's some headway being made.

link   
I'm a bit skeptical of the findings.

Partially because the phenomena of deja vu, in my experience, tends to be quite individual and difficult to properly communicate.

Some people just get a very eerie sense of "I've done this before."

Others say they recall the event happening weeks or years ago.

I, and others, have finished entire conversations for people, and left their mouth agape. Mere neurological hiccups don't really explain that type of phenomena.

Granted - I've also had the "lesser" phenomena - but the more 'genuine' experience is likened to a few times when I've had the sensation of, somehow, viewing another person's memory (possibly connected to a form of what would be called "remote viewing"). For example - there was a day when one of my e-friends was sick, and I had the most bizarre sensation of empathy coupled with what I can only describe as seeing her self-image. I was able to accurately describe the room she was in (that I'd never seen in any form). Though I envisioned a hard-wood floor (that later turned out to be beneath the carpet) - which was not in her memory (I chalk it up subjectivity on my part).

Later, we were talking about family reunions and the like - and I got another weird 'memory' of walking along a road and coming upon this house. I attempted to draw what I saw, and it turned out to be a fairly accurate image of the neighborhood her grandmother lived in (in Austria).

It's anecdotal, and open to huge amounts of subjective influence from all angles (both in her assessment of its accuracy and I'm known for having a very effective sense of approximation and imagination) - but I do believe that, because her and I are somewhat similar and seem to understand each other in ways that don't make sense outside of being twins... that there was some kind of para (outside) normal element to it. Exactly what and how encompassing... I don't really know.

And that's how I can describe the 'genuine' deja vu situations. The "I finish your statement for you and we just met" sort of stuff. Again - I can't rule out subjective influences and various other factors... but there's just that 'flavor' of something that rests outside the currently accepted mechanics of existence.

But, maybe I just find the insinuation that I have a small hypocampus insulting and am attempting to compensate by making my experiences paranormal in nature....

link   

Originally posted by PerfectAnomoly
I was under the impression that Deja Vu had already been explained... this is the commonly held understanding:-

"a momentary infinitesimal lag in the operation of two co-active sensory nerve centers that commonly function simultaneously"

This explains the phenomenon adequately I believe....

PA

That may explain some, but not all experiences.. It also seems like a 'cop-out' in order to stop real research going on that could introduce us into understanding ourselves better and developing skills that some (like the church) would not like us to have..

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
this whole thread is full of Lulz

1 teeny little study from the lofty heights of an ivory tower

AND SUDDENLY ALL IS EXPLAINED!!!

truly the height of ignorance is believing that everything can be explained away

by using a small fraction of a limited mode of consciousness

this is equivalent to sticking your head in the ground or up your but
and claiming you can see infinity and eternity

1 teeny little study from the lofty heights of an ivory tower
and the positivists suddenly are no different from the paredoliaists
that see nibiru in a lens flare

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I hate to be negative about this but....

Their findings, bless them for the effort, are akin to a caveman examining a mirror. While he may 'discover' he can see himself in it, he has no clue how it works. He just knows when he walks along a wall, there is a portion of that wall he can see himself in.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I could swear I read this thread when I was a kid

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Rather LACK of brain matter in this brain region. Which suggests that it is from a malfunction in this brain area.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

They are wrong...

Its a glitch in the Matrix

Someone had to say it

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

Rather LACK of brain matter in this brain region. Which suggests that it is from a malfunction in this brain area.

Or gift or ability that was once common is slowly diminishing.
The light is getting dimmer.
edit on 093131p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol

Not necesarily.. It could be that the smaller portion is more geared towards its function, needing less mass to operate as it becomes better at doing its job..

A bit like an overweight person working out, turning the fat into muscle and becoming slimmer and more lean, except the brain is not a muscle.

A master craftsman works far better and faster with much more precission than an apprentice, mostly because of the links the brain makes in regards to the constant, continual processes the craftsman makes.
The brain tunes into what the body is doing and perfects what the body is doing by strengthening the bonds of communication and cutting off less used ones.
There is a portion in a documentary called "what the bleep do we know" that explains this type of brain 'connections' in a very good way.. with pictures too !!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join