It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memorial Day: How It's Changed, Why Some Oppose 3-Day Weekend

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
Didn't mean to ignore your response, I am just having a bit of trouble responding to it. I feel horrible for those that gave life and limb, to wholly made up causes. I feel horrible that people were suckered into it at all. I feel horrible that people take up arms under a king, to take fight off others that were suckered into the same cause, just under a different king. Replace king with government, or ideology, or whatever they were fooled by. Same difference really.

The common man is fooled again and again, to fight other common men that were also fooled by someone else. Especially in this day and age. Orders are given VIA satelite or whatever, kings are nowhere near the battlefield. They are free to move the pawns from a safe distance, and never be in any real danger at all.

I wish that the common soldier would realize they were duped. I wish the common soldier would rise up and say no more. I wish the war machines would come to a total hault, and we can work together as a species to survive. We are in for a rude awakening I think. The sooner we wake up the better.

I almost ignored your post. You did not reply to or quote.
Never the less. As I have said before. This is a day to remember those that GAVE.
For what ever reason. Pray for their souls or their recovery, the recovery of your HURT and the PAIN of us all.
The rest is for another day.
Peace ljb
let your hammer fall tomorrow. I'll join you
edit on 5/26/2012 by longjohnbritches because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

More than likely I failed at expressing myself properly. I do that a lot. My hammer falls upon nails I wish to knock in, or my fingers holding the nails. Following orders was made an insignificant and false excuse at the nurungburg trials.

I guess I just wish people would use their godgiven brains, and think. Probably too much to ask these days.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I'm in two minds about remembrance days. On the one hand I know most soldiers have the best intentions at heart but on the other hand I can't possibly bring myself to support their actions. But whatever your opinion of war, I don't think its a day to go and party. We should all remember, just some for different reasons.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

d like to know what if any is respectful about todays US Military....

With all due respect I have issue's with that comment people if your going to have any problems take it up with the civilian commander in chief instead of those who serve.

Memorial day is about all those who have served and who are serving and those will be serving without them there is no us.

That is how Memorial day has changed instead of Honoring those men and women they get trashed talked.

I salute those who have served and who are serving and those who will serve duty,honor,country,.
edit on 26-5-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

You were not trying to die for others I hope. You were willing to give your life maybe, I can relate to that. Trying to die for others though, that is counterproductive, and not very logical at all....... That cannot be what they teach firefighter

the point....yeah kinda like being a spelling cop dontcha think? ok I know your position, die for the whales, screw the children in the poor countries living under the rule of dictators ,,,,I gotcha now. have a wonderful 3 day weekend

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

More than likely I failed at expressing myself properly. I do that a lot. My hammer falls upon nails I wish to knock in, or my fingers holding the nails. Following orders was made an insignificant and false excuse at the nurungburg trials.

I guess I just wish people would use their godgiven brains, and think. Probably too much to ask these days.

I think not. If you care to understand you will assist all mankind.
You care. Control belongs to --errr not you or me.
NEW DAY time for other things
The best ljb

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I want to thank each and every member for their contribution.
Hart felt for sure ljb
All the best Day is done

Taps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taps - Similarto Taps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Taps" is a musical piece sounded at dusk, and at funerals, particularly by the U.S. military. It is played during flag ceremonies and funerals, generally on bugle ...

Etymology - History - Melody and lyrics - Legends

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

I don't even have a three day weekend here. Really no idea what you mean.... Die for the whales, while letting kids starve, no. As much as I try to be impartial to nature and humans, that would never be my wish. We are part of nature, and if my girls had to eat me to survive, bona petite mon cheris.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

I care, a lot. I often wish I didn't care like I do. I spend nights wide awake worrying about all kinds of things. Sometimes I wish that I could go back to sleep, and not care about anything other than my bubble in the world. That makes me feel dirty though. We are in this together, and the kings, and government will leave us here to die. As long as their family survives, they don't give a #. Me, I want us all to have a chance to make it.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by TKDRL

You were not trying to die for others I hope. You were willing to give your life maybe, I can relate to that. Trying to die for others though, that is counterproductive, and not very logical at all....... That cannot be what they teach firefighter

the point....yeah kinda like being a spelling cop dontcha think? ok I know your position, die for the whales, screw the children in the poor countries living under the rule of dictators ,,,,I gotcha now. have a wonderful 3 day weekend

Sure, let's instead export some more democracy and make some more young men die so we can 'honour' them in days like these.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kipfilet

Originally posted by rebellender
reply to post by TKDRL

Sure, let's instead export some more democracy and make some more young men die so we can 'honour' them in days like these.

pretty easy call you're making from you view of a big screen and a smokin grill waiting meat...I have been unemployed for 3 years now, I am not disillusioned,
you only have a corrupt government and gasoline prices to gripe about and all the government offices are elected. every 2 and 4 years is prime opportunity.
Too many SUCKING up the Dream and nobody cared what went on in D.C.
seen your story too many times

Bitch away, you're free to do so, thank a man or woman in uniform

edit on 26-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Hmm.. I think it's a pretty good memorial to our dead soldiers that we spend the day surrounded by family, eating, playing, drinking, enjoying eachothers company as a kick off to summer. We celebrate their sacrifice with what they died for: Americana.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I am opposed to the 3 day weekend version of the holiday, as are most of the other veterans in the local veterans orgs.

I also get bothered by hearing people say "happy memorial day!" Would everyone be ok to hear someone say "happy 9/11!" It's a similar day. It's not a celebration. The day is meant to be a solemn occassion to remember the sacrafice of fallen servicemen.

The 3 day weekend just gives people an excuse to take quick trips or plan home barbques/parties and little about the holiday. It's like that with many holidays now though.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
As one of the bamboozled for 20 years now and coming from a long line of the bamboozles, my thoughts may not be very PC.

For those who think today's military are part of the problem in an illegal war, listen up. The problem is you! You vote or don't vote for your politicians who pay the war bills. You make your voice heard or not heard when they go against your wishes. So if a war you do not approve of drags on year after year, you have failed as citizens. Your government is laughing at you as those who make billions off the conflict love every profitable minute of it.

You want to blame the military who make squat, are deployed all the time, and live with the threat of life and limb on a daily basis. There are only so many of us and we do vote. We do communicate with our politicians in as much as the law allows. But we are still less than 1% of Americans. We have little sway and are tired of being used as props for politicians who sold us down the river.

So please go ahead and keep blaming the military for your continued failure and ineptitude as an American you pathetic cowards. I, for one, will keep doing what I do in hopes one day you will wake up and realize just how bent over the barrel you really are and decide to do something worthwhile about it. Until then, by all means, carry on with your blather and inaction. You make our Founding Fathers proud that the land they worked so hard to create, spawned such weak and ineffective citizens.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

You join a machine that is for nothing other than killing, and are surprised when you are sent to do just that? Then you blame everyone else for it?

Most of us do the same as you do, all we can do within the law. Vote, contact our reps and be heard. If people simply stopped joining, then what? The draft again? Then it will effect everyone once they turn 18, and they cannot stick their heads in the sand and ignore the wars going on. Nothing is going to change as long as people keep populating the armed forces. Tanks and planes can't drive themselves, at least not yet.

Can you imagine how much better off we would be if instead of putting billions a year into a death machine, we were putting that money into worthwhile things like energy, environmental cleanup, and medical research? Just a pipe dream now. We got to make up more ways to kill each other instead.... Bombs are more important than viable clean energy afterall. Tanks are more important than cleaning up the oceans we dump waste into. Fighter jets are more important that real cures for diseases.

What good is ruling the world, if it is nothing but a cesspool of waste and garbage? Priorities are all messed up with us humans.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
This argument is Classic and as yet un resolvable. Why? Who the heck knows.
You could say it can change like the way the wind blows.
I have studied human warfare back to our monkey ancestors. Things are still the same ole same ole.
Masculinity was designed to PROTECT mother and child, mother were designed to nurture the offspring. And could do so because they were protected.
I am talking wolves, bears, Lions, hyenas etc. Do you know that in the day of our ancestors these creatures were twice the size of today's zoo creatures.
Man worked himself out of a job by being Totally successful in putting a lid on most human predation.
So now what are the consequences of that success??? Is this why man has turned on himself ?
Time for another thread.
Again the intelligence and care for the brothers, sisters, moms and dads that you all brought to these few pages will be with me.
forever ljb

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

1. I blame no one for my career in the military. I would do it again.

2. Sorry, the facts will not budge on this. In a representative democracy, the burden of what the state does or does not do falls on the represented. In this case, the American voter. Only through negligence and/or apathy of those voters (you) is the state allowed to run a muck.

3. To blame war on the Soldier is to blame crime on the policeman, fire on the fireman, and illness on the doctor. Those individuals chose to step up and engage what is wrong or harmful with the full understanding a perfect world is impossible but they will strive for it anyway. Why would the Soldier be any different?

4. I agree the world would be a better place if there was no war. We could use those resources for other things. But instead of imagining as you suggest, I recommend doing something about it. Your post is full of great ideas for others to accomplish and blame for others to assume.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

If that makes you sleep better at night, more power to you I guess. Three makes zero sense, Unless the cops were going around comitting crimes, firemen were going around setting fires, and doctors were going around making people sick. Without people taking up arms, and following the orders, there would be no war. There was crime long before police, and probably always will be, wether or not police exist. Same with fires and sickness. See the difference?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
double

edit on 29-5-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Most of us do the same as you do, all we can do within the law.

sleep well my friend, sleep well.

edit on 29-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join