It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Memorial Day: How It's Changed, Why Some Oppose 3-Day Weekend

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Memorial Day: How It's Changed, Why Some Oppose 3-Day Weekend

news.nationalgeographic.com

22 hours ago ... Find out who started the day of remembrance, and see why some groups think the holiday gets lost in the swirl of summer kickoff.

Since its post-Civil War beginnings, the holiday has changed considerably and now may be best known as the start of summer vacation season—prompting some critics to call for moving the date away from a three-day weekend.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Is there be a media conspiracy against the celebration of Memorial Day?
Seems strange that there is not much coverage. There are so many ways the brave in America are just swept aside.
It is hard to find a way to begin. I have noticed less and less coverage over the years.
Is the apathy because there is so mush war?
Is there apathy because our troops are volunteer today and not conscripts?
ATS member Seagul has a thread in a political forum that received only one reply besides mine.
What's up ATS put down the hot dog and give OUR BRAVEST a SHOUT OUT.

news.nationalgeographic.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 5/26/2012 by longjohnbritches because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/26/2012 by longjohnbritches because: e

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I am first to post.

it really scares my that our country is so sick as to not have any more common ground,

somebody has really done their job and well.
edit on 26-5-2012 by rebellender because: added emoticon

thanks Hero's Fallen and alive for our freedom

we are still alive as a nation.

HOOOOOAH!!!
Sgt xxxxxx Operation Southern Overwatch
edit on 26-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
We musn't forget the sacrifices made by the brave. As some will remember this weekend, most will just remember that this means the start of vacation season. Sickening to say the least. For those with no military connection this day means nothing. To those of us who have served and our families well, we know what Memorial Day stands for and we will never forget. So while everyone is out BBQing and playing with their toys, just remember there are those of us who hang our heads low, and who struggle through these weekends as we remember the fallen and those who have sacrificed so much, for freedom around the world.

Corporal.XXXXXXXXX, Rifleman, 2ND Light Armored Reconnasaince Battallion, 2ND Marine Division, Operation Phantom Fury.

Semper Fi.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by longjohnbritches

just my 0.02 groats

the problem isnt that memorial day is now part of a 3 day weekend / holiday

the problem is that the general pubic [ correct spelling ] no longer have the respect to honour it

if memorial day was moved to another callender position - and stripped of its holiday sataus - the idiots wouldnt move off thier arses to honour it

they would just whine that they " lost " a 3 day weekend

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
People find it easier to accept a bank holiday than celibrate the idea if Imperializm. We are sick of wars and therefore we party to take our minds off of it.

The Vets of todays military are quite different than my Pops day.

The Vets of today are largely thought of as paid murderers. A lot of Vets are lying to themselves about their actual role in this Country.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Id like to know what if any is respectful about todays US Military....

dont get me wrong, its made up of good intentions.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Some of us out there are against war. I mean really against war. Saying that you are against the war, but support the troops, is BS.

That is like saying I am against animal abuse, but I support the kitten punchers.

I am against war, period. I will not thank the troops for falling for the excuse flavor of the day, freedom. People that drive tanks, people that design tanks, and people that repair tanks, are all part of the same machine.

There is always some excuse the kings etc got the pawns to fight their wars. Wars are fought for power and money, always been that way, always will be. The US would still be a bunch of colonies today, had the king not gotten crazy with the taxes.

As long as people buy into the BS, that puts certain bloodlines on pedestals, that tries to make one "race", religion, or idealogy above another, there will never be peace. We need to open our eyes, stop selling our souls for a few measly bucks the royals toss at us for fighting their wars...... We need to wake up and see their is only one race, the human race. We need to realize that all humans are our brothers, and we are all in the same struggle to survive. To hell with nationalism.
edit on Sat, 26 May 2012 20:23:43 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Although I gave you a star for your unbridaled thoughts.
May I ask some humble thoughts also for the men and women that have been BAMBOZZled as have the Brave since Day one.
I started this thresd not only for the military of today but for the rememberance of those that GAVE. You know the ones that DIED lost arms, legs, wives, moms, dads, husbands and best of friends.
It is MEMORIAL DAY not JUDGEMENTAL day.
PEACE BROTHERS

I just posted this on another thread

showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/gettysburg.htm - Similarto The Gettysburg Address by Abraham Lincoln

The Gettysburg Address. Gettysburg, Pennsylvania November 19, 1863. On June 1, 1865, Senator Charles Sumner commented on what is now considered the ...

My favorite part---

It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainbowbear
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Id like to know what if any is respectful about todays US Military....

dont get me wrong, its made up of good intentions.

Quick answer --The ADMINISTRATION, THE CONGRESS, THE SENATE
Same OLE SAME. The troops are golden. Their bosses SUCK
did I say that jb

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

its a damn good thing you were born to the era and geography you are in...King Henry would be pure hell to live with, and his daughter

your still cool

edit on 26-5-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainbowbear
People find it easier to accept a bank holiday than celibrate the idea if Imperializm. We are sick of wars and therefore we party to take our minds off of it.

The Vets of todays military are quite different than my Pops day.

The Vets of today are largely thought of as paid murderers. A lot of Vets are lying to themselves about their actual role in this Country.

wow, thanks for only speaking for yourself

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rebellender

LOL you disagree? Im stating the obvious.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by rainbowbear

when did your pop serve

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

You are probably right. I have been fortunate, due to my time and place. I have also been fortunate to have been raised by people that were drafted to the nam war. I have been raised in such a way, that I am prepared for real war, should it ever come to that. In my 30 years, real war has never come along. I have never had to fight an invader off. It speaks volumes that during nam people had to be forced into the war. If it was a just war, no draft would have been necessary. If that makes sense.... To me it does.

If our military was just, they wouldn't need to set up the honeypots of education to entice impressionable people to join. I have seen good people destroyed by the military. It makes me weep for mankind.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Dumb post
edit on 5/26/2012 by longjohnbritches because: dumb

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Didn't mean to ignore your response, I am just having a bit of trouble responding to it. I feel horrible for those that gave life and limb, to wholly made up causes. I feel horrible that people were suckered into it at all. I feel horrible that people take up arms under a king, to take fight off others that were suckered into the same cause, just under a different king. Replace king with government, or ideology, or whatever they were fooled by. Same difference really.

The common man is fooled again and again, to fight other common men that were also fooled by someone else. Especially in this day and age. Orders are given VIA satelite or whatever, kings are nowhere near the battlefield. They are free to move the pawns from a safe distance, and never be in any real danger at all.

I wish that the common soldier would realize they were duped. I wish the common soldier would rise up and say no more. I wish the war machines would come to a total hault, and we can work together as a species to survive. We are in for a rude awakening I think. The sooner we wake up the better.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

You are probably right. I have been fortunate, due to my time and place. I have also been fortunate to have been raised by people that were drafted to the nam war. I have been raised in such a way, that I am prepared for real war, should it ever come to that. In my 30 years, real war has never come along. I have never had to fight an invader off. It speaks volumes that during nam people had to be forced into the war. If it was a just war, no draft would have been necessary. If that makes sense.... To me it does.

If our military was just, they wouldn't need to set up the honeypots of education to entice impressionable people to join. I have seen good people destroyed by the military. It makes me weep for mankind.

you are one of those? so you would kill to only suit your own existence? I am not that selfish.
I was a fireman trying to die for others and their property starting at the age of 16. I have been very giving of myself to others all my life.
Have a wonderful weekend in freedom on all those who died very selflessly so you can enjoy a dog or burger and a snow cone without retribution, pray or not without fear of death being caught and where ATS is concerned, you can say what ever you want openly and freely about our government and leaders who send men like your pops and myself to secure National interests and freedoms, go to say Riyadh Saudi Arabia and speak against Their King!!!! if so tell me, I know exactly where the "Chop Chop Square" is. you know the place where they behead people who openly speak against the Saudi Government...yes , really in Today's age. Yep Been there,Saw it!!!

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   

My existence, my family, my community. If I could die, a horrible, slow death, and my death would help our species and planet to survive, I would do it in a heartbeat. My short life is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I will not put my insignificant life in jeapordy for nothing though. I have two girls depending on me, I will do my best by them. Soon it will be three lives, when my baby sister has her baby. That will be my third godkid. My two girls are my first two godkids, I do the best I can for them.

You were not trying to die for others I hope. You were willing to give your life maybe, I can relate to that. Trying to die for others though, that is counterproductive, and not very logical at all....... That cannot be what they teach firefighters
edit on Sat, 26 May 2012 22:32:36 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL

My existence, my family, my community. If I could die, a horrible, slow death, and my death would help our species and planet to survive, I would do it in a heartbeat. My short life is insignificant in the grand scheme of things. I will not put my insignificant life in jeapordy for nothing though. I have two girls depending on me, I will do my best by them. Soon it will be three lives, when my baby sister has her baby. That will be my third godkid. My two girls are my first two godkids, I do the best I can for them.

would you die for your brother in another country who couldn't fight for or didn't have to tools to fight for his own freedom

<<   2  3 >>

join