It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Design of Survival Bunker, 'Panic Room' :)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

There's only one flaw, as far as I can see. And its in your brain! Have you ever consider the option about seeing a psychiatre, lately? Or to intake some prosac? Extra dosage, perhaps?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I'll fly a plane into it, because as we all know, Jet Fuel will melt your layer in less than an hour...and as an added bonus your house will collapse too, even though I never actually hit it.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I would find a round or dome shaped container to use for the basic shelter. One, to better support the shielding material I'll get to in a second but also because it will survive impacts, blasts, etc that will break a shelter built with right angles.

I would take the basic shelter and build at least two "outer barrier" walls around it. They can be concrete or steel - your best bet would be to bury your shelter underground but if you have to be above ground for some reason you can still give yourself the advantages of a buried shelter. You want to leave a space of 1-2 feet between the shelter and the first barrier wall and aprox 3 feet between the first wall and the outer wall. Fill that empty space up with dirt, rocks and scrap metal.

You'll want the same amount of protection over your shelter so even if you can just bury it slightly it will save money and help make putting a roof over it easier. What we're trying to do is emulate a shelter that is at least 60 inches under ground with a layer of bedrock over it. This is much like the caves in Afghanistan where Bin Laden managed to survive being bombed with a lot of conventional weapons and even the largest conventional bomb in our arsenal.

Even as little as 60 inches of earth gives you a radiation shield capable of reducing the exposure from a 1MT air burst immediately over head to the same amount of radiation you get from an x-ray. Anything beyond 60 inches works even better to reduce radiation reaching the shelter to nothing so with the barrier walls and dirt you should be around 80 inches or so.

As for external operation of your door, most modern shelters use a remote control you can carry to operate the door from outside. Once inside you can disable the remote receiver temporarily.

I would build an entrance with an airlock room between the door and the main shelter. You can set up defensive devices in this area and also add another secure, attack resistant door between yourself and the outside in case someone manages to break in.

The best shelters also have a second escape tunnel built with plastic (no metal detection) that stop a few feet below the ground. The top of the escape tunnel is a shaped composite plug made to burrow well. A hydraulic ram is used to extend the escape tunnel upwards through the ground using 10,000 pounds of force. The same kind of technique is used to bury all kinds of useful devices so they can be pushed up through the ground when needed. Things like cameras, antennas, flame throwers, military type robots and remote operated weapons.

If someone is trying to break into your shelter there's nothing like a sudden spray of burning diesel, CS Gas or even a fast little robot with a BFG (big Fn gun) to encourage them to leave quickly.

You can also build a "panic room" in your house by modifying a closet if money is a concern. If the goal is to escape a threat and stay safe while waiting for the police it doesn't take a ton of cash to make a closet into a safe room. A master bed walk in type closet is perfect for this with just a few modifications.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Just buy an old bank, and convert it to your house, with the vault being your panic room...

Those telecom shelters might work as well...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by SkullAndBeats235

Yea it would be expensive. The walls are going to be 6 inches thick pure steel, that would be the most expensive part. Plants are a good idea, you mean like put some potted plants near the safety walls and outside? It might not be a bad idea to surround the bunker with trees perhaps?
edit on 073131p://5America/ChicagoWed, 23 May 2012 19:03:03 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

Would it not be better to place the bunker underground? Are you aware of the fact that the metal box will be like 60° C or what in summer heat? And freezing cold in winter. Plant trees around you so they can burn them down around you. Hide in a metal box that is problematic when you get shot with ammo that will not penetrate but let metal chips fly through your bunker? Then you need kevlar too.
Its not that far, because as you are awaiting grenades and rpgs.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Interesting plans ! Though have you ( Not to put too fine a point on it ! ) thought about dealing with effluent or air conditioning ! Could get hot and very smelly !
Is the effort worth what you might be coming out to, eventually ? ( No, I know, no one can answer that one, really.)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Me again. What,s to stop someone sealing you in, turning the place into a tomb ? Jamming the sliding door from the outside, or piling suitable obstructive material / items in front of the door to prevent your exit when the coast is clear? Just a thought...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by MrJohnSmith

The door can't be jammed from the outside, but you can be sealed in though. So I really am considering thinking below ground with just the panels nicely hidden in brushes etc.. I may modify it into a below ground structure with hidden escape tunnel and a few nicely placed hidden solar panels.

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
solar panels will be visible from any higher point. Even if the sun doesn´t shine that much.
If you put it on a hill (your bunker) you have the problem that those people you fear, will eventually climb it to get an overview of the area.

Edit: Additional, the panels will work best if not flat on the ground, instead given an angle like 52° or so, depending on you position.
edit on 25-5-2012 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
So I completely redesigned the bunker and now it is underground. I have not fully furnished and equipped it yet, but I figured out a way to protect the panels

Solution: Sliding Solar Panels, that you can pull inwards that run on tracks

Part of the below ground structure:

The Air can still come in through the are where the panels slide. Just add a lot of dirt and rubble to the top roof and it is perfectly hidden and secure.

I have yet to design the secure entry hatch, which I will eventually. Great suggestions guys, I would have never have thought of sliding panels if it wasn't for you guys

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Added some more equipment and furniture:

This is turning out to be pretty secure. I will add a gas tank and water tank back up as well

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Added below ground water tank and propane:

I am thinking that the entry hatch should be inside the house and the main body of the bunker should be outside (to enable the panels to work). This way it is more concealed, and I can plant a nice garden on top of the bunker to hide it even further.
edit on 063131p://5America/ChicagoSat, 26 May 2012 18:41:48 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
In the images I've seen, your solar panels are lying horizontal. Unless you are at the equator, you will lose efficiency based on how far from the vertical they are, minus your latitude, minus 23 degrees (for inclination of the ecliptic.) You may have thought of that and found it easier to work with from a defensive point of view, and so are willing to sacrifice efficiency; or you may find it too diffcult to render the panels using CAD.

I am really bothered by the 6 inches of steel; unless you are buying that in the form of a decommissioned battleship (which is something to consider)>

I would recommend reading up on the specs of "blast proof concrete," which will give you defensive qualities while being more affordable.

Maybe also look at steel shells housing packed earth sections. This would give you radiation protection....

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

I am willing to sacrifice efficiency for defensive capabilities. I will have a few backup panels inside just in case some fail or are broken somehow.

The six inch steel can be created by welding 2 inch plates together, that is what I think I really want to do

You can buy 2 inch steel plates from these guys:
www.chapelsteel.com...

Or these guys:
www.metalsdepot.com...$LimAcc

Plenty of good selections to choose from. While it will be expensive, I think the bunker will be more valuable than the money itself because the bunker will be serving a purpose while money after economic collapse does not so my theory is to spend the money while I can

edit on 123131p://5America/ChicagoSun, 27 May 2012 00:45:54 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
There are a lot of different bunker/safe room ideas out there, but I like the thought you have put into this one. Hope you never have to use it, but if you get it built it should be a good one, Zombies or no.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

As some people before mentioned.. try to go underground. A near blast from a bomb would damage a surface structure..There will be no walls to drive into when somebody wants to invade your space and will be easier to conceal from unwanted guests.

Underground more expensive...? I am not sure it will be... you are creative.. you will think of something to reduce the cost and able to invest the money you have wisely.

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Plenty of good selections to choose from. While it will be expensive, I think the bunker will be more valuable than the money itself because the bunker will be serving a purpose while money after economic collapse does not so my theory is to spend the money while I can

edit on 123131p://5America/ChicagoSun, 27 May 2012 00:45:54 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

No doubt. I was merely thinking of the "opportunity cost" of tying up all that investment in steel, when the money could be put to work elsewhere. But you are the one developing the specifications, and it's your choice.

It should make one hell of an orgone accumilator

posted on May, 27 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
this is your fortress, it screams, raid here please and don't forget to use a little smoke.
he,he,he.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join