It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Design of Survival Bunker, 'Panic Room' :)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
So I was watching the movie Panic room and noticed that there were some weaknesses inherent in the design of the room so I set about creating my own room/shed designed to be in close proximity to the main house. It contains 4500 watts solar, electric fence, battery backup, amenities, running water, toilet, bed, microwave, fridge, small portable stove, and enough food storage space for a few months for one person. Put a lot of ammo and weapons for self defense inside if you are planning to stay in for a while. The design spec is a few months survival for one person

The walls are made of pure steel, 6 inches thick. Door is hydraulic operated and sliding, ONE WAY locking from inside only using a special key. It cannot be locked from the outside to be used as a safe. Therefore infront of the large metal sliding door there will be a regular locking wooden frame just attacked to prevent animals from getting inside when the room is not in use.

The one design caveat is that the house must be up on a hill because a person can throw grenades to take out the solar panels. In order to defend the area if a person does get past the hill, you must open the door, but that exposes you to gunfire, hence I designed the safety walls that let you navigate part of the house near the door to return fire. The saftey walls may even let you release a small robotically controlled UAV. I may even set up machine gun mounts that are robotically controlled hehe. The one hole in the back is to run the water pipe, fresh air, and internet and phone cabling into the room. There is a hole underneath for the toilet. The hole at the top in the roof (incomplete design) is to send the power cabling into the room and to the huge battery bank. I may incorporate a small climate control for comfort or incase someone tries to gas the room out.

The electric fence is designed to only be engaged from the inside (there will be a small opening to let a person inside)

Tell me vulnerabilities you see in this design and I may correct them in my future bunker

So far the biggest and hardest to defend types are attacks are from these things:

Grenades (damage to solar panels)
RPGs
Being Gassed (can be reduced by wearing gasmasks) or a high power climate control system.

My Design:

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Dont forget some Plants
. Its a very expensive Project, isnt it ?

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SkullAndBeats235

Yea it would be expensive. The walls are going to be 6 inches thick pure steel, that would be the most expensive part. Plants are a good idea, you mean like put some potted plants near the safety walls and outside? It might not be a bad idea to surround the bunker with trees perhaps?
edit on 073131p://5America/ChicagoWed, 23 May 2012 19:03:03 -0500 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Shouldn't it be underground? The most logical reason for a bunker would be nuclear attack...and an underground shelter is best for that.

In the case of a zombie apocalypse, an underground shelter is still advisable...not to mention a mine field and automated turrets.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Yes exactly and maybe some plants inside. In order to disguise it a little, just an idea
. What do you think, will you priject cost if you realise it?
edit on 23-5-2012 by SkullAndBeats235 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
You wont be able to purchase 6 inch steel.

Its a custom order and needs extra heavy equipment to move it.

In order to be economical you would need 1/2 plate+ couple inches meshed concrete+ 1/2 plate+ couple more concrete and then another plate.

If you really wanted to confound things you could put corrogated layers behind each plate you could pump water to and keep the torch work cold.

Star and flag for the coherent well thought out plan and presentation.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Cool!
The husband is making a panic room in the house, but its not a survival bunker, its more of a hidden room in case of break in or we need to hide ourselves or someone else. We have a very large century old brick home and lots of strange spaces and parts of it that can be utilized. It was a bootleggers house, so it has interesting architectural oddities! HE was a bootlegger, she was a spiritualist. Weird house!
Anyway, hubby has a friend who is an engineer and architect and the design will be behind a book case.. opens up to a large space that no one would suspect was there. We didnt know it was there until about a year into living into the house and restoring/rehabbing it.

This is where we got the idea :

edit on 23-5-2012 by Advantage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I thought about an underground bunker. I mean I could design a massive underground storage space connected to this main room but I could potentially encounter someone trying to dig me out and the cost of materials would be too high to fully secure even the underground section.

I could certainly add an underground HUGE storage space to increase living time, but then we would be getting into designing a house lol. I'm just trying to keep costs down if in the future I get enough money to design my baby.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
How about burying either a propane or natural gas tank and use that instead of solar.
Or...have some retractable cover for the panels that had a bit of a contact lens shape so grenades would bounce or roll off.
I think I still like the buried gas or propane tank, right under the bunker itself.

Maybe think about camouflage for the bunker....meaning create an outside facade to make it look like a crappy shack not worth the time to explore for the interloper or infidel.....the fence might be a give away but maybe they have a super charged invisible fence like the ones they have for dogs...(well someone should invent it)

bury a fresh water tank too.

sorry but this is just off the top of my head......I would love to have one of these things after I have enough money to go off grid....

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

I was thinking 2 inch plates welded together into 6 inches. The outside of the building will be bricked, but that is a fantastic idea making water run through it
the only thing you have to be careful is with corrosion. I will have to have a lot of paint, waterproofing on the steel first. Then comes the brick/concrete blocks on top

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadowalker

that was good information my friend, thank you.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Or...have some retractable cover for the panels that had a bit of a contact lens shape so grenades would bounce or roll off.

I thought about a retractable cover for the panels, but then even those can get blown off. That contact/convex lens shape Idea is fantastic
Will have to incorporate it somehow. brilliant thinking, but someone could always put sticky glue to the grenade and toss it.

I don't like the idea of gas for power as it is a limited supply

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
gas as back up if your panels get destroyed.
natural gas is very cheap these days.
I think you mentioned that this was only for a couple months too.
I was thinking the gas would be if you were under siege.

95% of the people that are going to want in, are not going to have the resources or the
time commitment to spend much time trying to get at you...they will move on to easier prey.
...my theory at least.
edit on 23-5-2012 by Res Ipsa because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Awesome job with the 3D model. I wish I could even begin a (model) project like that.

All that steel is going to be very expensive. It'd probably be cheaper to build it underground, assuming you have such an option. Bury a school bus, massive drain pipe(s). Unless you have that kind of money, but still if you do don't reinvent the wheel go cheap where you can and that should give you more funds for stockpile / barter economy items. Plus underground can not only be more concealed, but it better for A-bombs. Underground you could also build a secret tunnel to it from inside the house, which would be more in line with the 'panic room' theme. Plan it right and you could get your drop in bunker in the ground and buried over a weekend before the city even notices what you did without a permit.

Perhaps the most important thing youre missing is an already operational garden adjacent to it. That's key. And even if you dont want to actually become a regular gardener in the meantime you'll want to have the stuff you'd need on hand, especially the seeds. Likewise, at least start integrating in perennials and fruit trees now. They generally take a long long time to get to where they provide a lot. And the nice thing about perennials is they generally only need to be planted once, and tend to not need much attention once they've established. Seeds are also key 'currency' for the barter economy.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

Oh ok, I understand, gas as back. Yes that is a great idea to incorporate, plus the camouflage and natural plants. Great Ideas. Keep em coming. I love designing zombie proof bunkers lol.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Your last name wouldn't be Potter by chance, would it?

Thinking of hiding the little boy behind the bookcase for when Voldemort comes knocking...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Oh I forgot, a decent 2'x4' solar water heater you can build for about $100, and will reduce the number of panels you need. The water heater consumes somethign like 30% of the average power bill. If you own your home you might even add one to it now and start saving money while being more practiced at living 'off the grid'.

Oh, and don't expect running water to be running. Save money where you can with this project to put into water because water trumps everything else.
edit on 23-5-2012 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

That's why all of the best bunkers are designed by the government, or by genius rednecks accused of murdering their families...

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
Shouldn't it be underground? The most logical reason for a bunker would be nuclear attack...and an underground shelter is best for that.

In the case of a zombie apocalypse, an underground shelter is still advisable...not to mention a mine field and automated turrets.

Correct. You wouldn't want to be on the hill, you would want to be in the hill. The best defense would be if the attackers could never find you to begin with.

A few reinforced cargo containers would be way cheaper than 6 inch steel walls. The dirt surrounding the bunker would provide the protection you need.

Camouflage the bunker to make it blend into the surrounding area. Make the hill look like it's always been there. You won't need mines or automated turrets if you do that.

posted on May, 23 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Yes, I was thinking a garden, but then it would be house. I already designed a bunker home with a garden, but that would be too expensive hehe. I think it is a good idea to incorporate a garden for some fresh food and probably raise a few chickens for eggs and meat, it would mean increasing the space limited by the fence and it could also mean that this can only be an above ground project..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join