It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policing For Profit. Do Not Carry Cash In Tennessee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   
This is just ridiculous. Everywhere you turn the US Constitution is being crapped all over in the name of money and power. The police officer in this case should be fired and Tennessee needs some major oversight on this isssue. It's one thing to seize cash when you find drugs contained with it but this guys story is enough to make just about anyone mad. Like it says in the end of the article. Extortion seems like the word to describe this incident.

Source

As a professional insurance adjuster, Reby spends a lot of time traveling from state to state. But it was on a trip to a conference in Nashville last January that he got a real education in Tennessee justice.

"I never had any clue that they thought they could take my money legally," Reby added. "I didn't do anything wrong."

Reby was driving down Interstate 40, heading west through Putnam County, when he was stopped for speeding.

A Monterey police officer wanted to know if he was carrying any large amounts of cash.

"I said, 'Around $20,000,'" he recalled. "Then, at the point, he said, 'Do you mind if I search your vehicle?' I said, 'No, I don't mind.' I certainly didn't feel I was doing anything wrong. It was my money."

That's when Officer Larry Bates confiscated the cash based on his suspicion that it was drug money.

"Why didn't you arrest him?" we asked Bates.

"Because he hadn't committed a criminal law," the officer answered.

So ATS, tell me what you think?

I would love to hear from any police officers on here about this as well.
edit on 22/5/12 by usmc0311 because: added content.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

So ATS, tell me what you think?

What do you want us to say - that some cops in some jurisdiction are no better than thuggish thieves and it's a damned shame they have the weight of official sanction behind them?

It's effectively legal highway robbery - civil asset forfeiture is surprisingly expensive and difficult for the common person to challenge (most areas likely requiring a preponderance of evidence to PROVE that the funds or asset involve has nothing to do with any criminality)...and for all those how can't afford or bother to challenge, the police get free money to buy themselves new toys.

Disgusting is about all I can say.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This has been happening for awhile now. Many cases like this in the Good 'ol South.

He never should have said how much money he had.

"$65 Officer"...That's it.

Peace

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Exactly. Lie, they give us no choice. When those who enforce the laws become criminals, what are the honest people to do?

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

The only reason he probably got his money back was because of NewsChannel 5:

After Reby filed an appeal, and after NewsChannel 5 began investigating, the state agreed to return his money -- if he'd sign a statement waiving his constitutional rights and promising not to sue. They also made him come all the way from New Jersey, back to Monterey to pick up a check. He got the check, but no apology.

Every one is suspicious any more that carry a large amount of money. They've got most people programmed to use credit/debit cards, even for $5 at McDonalds.

And now with that" See something, Say something " crap that's supposed to be for "terrorists", any one can be reported for using a large amount of cash.

Our friends had to answer to the TSA last year when they bought 2 airline tickets with cash. In their line of work, they deal with cash all the time so they didn't think any thing about it. Needless to say, they missed their flight and had to catch another flight.

I always thought Cash was King?
Guess not any more. Thanks to 9/11 and dope dealers.... not to mention crooked cops.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I still use cash for just about everything. As soon as My money gets direct deposited it gets withdrawn in the form of cash. I hate credit cards. Someday I will get the DHS called for paying for something in cash. That's ok it will be fun to waste their time if they waste mine.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

edit on 22-5-2012 by SWCCFAN because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
After watching the video on the Source link ... I will not travel nor will I conduct any business in the State of Tennessee.

I recommend others do the same.

I am thinking its time to head out to the range and tighten up some groups...

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This is just one incident in a long list. And it doesn't stop with taking money from motorists.

You can read all the findings of the Policing for Profits investigation here:

NewsChannel5 Investigates: Policing for Profit

While your there, take a look at the other things that Phil Williams and the NewChannel5 Investigates team have turned up.

J
edit on 5/22/2012 by LadyJae because: formatting

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by snarky412

I still use cash for just about everything. As soon as My money gets direct deposited it gets withdrawn in the form of cash. I hate credit cards. Someday I will get the DHS called for paying for something in cash. That's ok it will be fun to waste their time if they waste mine.

Same here. We've done away with credit cards years ago. Not to mention when the Corp. Bank took over our small private bank, we eventually got away from banks. Too many fees and no longer personal. The home office was 1,000 miles away and all transactions went there to some unknown Suit. And now just to cash a check you have to put your finger print on it like we're the criminal. They claim it's for OUR safety/security. Yeah, right....

Needless to say, we use and pay cash too.

top topics

join