It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Is Dying, And Killing Michigan In The Process. Is Your City Next?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

It is scary. I go to LA Fitness in Royal Oak. It used to be a nice Gym when it opened. Then they bought out Bally's and crime sky rocketed at my Gym. The thugs came in a took over the basketball courts and do smash and grabs through car windows on the way out. The lockers are all jacked up and the locker room itself is always a mess.

I am thinking my only choice is to move north across the Zilwaukee Bridge. Heading west you have Grand Rapids and Muskegon which are more like Flint.

I am unsure where society goes from here. I think we are really on a precipice and not just here but globally. It's either we further devolve into a morally bankrupt, crime ridden society or we clean house. Either solution has scary prospects.

I am still trying to figure out where the turning point was. It seems like we had a good moral compass during and just after WWII but just after the 1950's we started a death spiral with morality in everything from economics to politics to losing our cultural identity in this nation. Probably an over simplification on my part but corporate America seemed to be just that. Now there is no corporate America.

It's more like Corporate Earth aka the Death Star...

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

I had jury duty recently and had to report to a room in City Hall. They sure spent a ton of money on their new building. Meanwhile, Washtenaw County still has homeless people dying from exposure as millions of dollars in local and federal funds are wasted on projects such as the new city hall. They constructed a new homeless shelter. Must have cost loads. It accommodates the same number of people as the old shelter. Each person has 90 days in which to get it together, then get out. I see the same homeless people on the streets here in Ann Arbor that I've seen for the last 12 years. All that money thrown into a building whose only purpose is to act as a revolving door... keep 'em coming back... get more funding... embezzle what you can... it's all a big racket. It's a pity no one cares enough to investigate the Shelter Association Of Washtenaw County. They won't. Too many people would lose out on their graft, and it would be too embarrassing for some to admit that they have been taken in by a system of deceit and misappropriation of funds.

Meanwhile, like I said, people continue to be swept under the rug. For money.
[/rant]

edit on 5/21/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: typos

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuestionsEverything

Roger and Me, showcased how Flint was turned over to the wolves.

USMC, man get out of Southeastern Michigan while you can, if things get as bad as they possibly could you're going to have a epic journey in trying to get away from the D's sphere of influence. And not an epic journey with a puppy and kitten trying to find their way home. More like scenes from The Road but with 10 million people caught up in an orgy of violence. It isn't going to be pretty if any number of chickens come home to roost.

Thanks for that, now I remember. I hear ya. The worst part is I live out in the country surrounded by state land but there is also a correctional facility a mile through the woods from me. I feel I need to leave and go north before things get too bad or I will end up fending off a couple hundred escaped prisoners. Good thing is there is another Marine grunt like myself just down the road so between the two of us we can protect the other few that live on our road.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by mahonee

Welcome to ATS from a fellow Michigander. I'm glad things are ok with you where you are. I hope they stay that way but I have a feeling they won't.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by QuestionsEverything

Ya, I heard they are letting nature reclaim large swaths of Flint. Entire neighborhoods are being destroyed and nature is claiming its rightful place there.

Parts of the new Red Dawn movie were filmed there as well. That should give everyone an idea of what the backdrop looks like in a city destroyed by corporate greed and roaming thugs with more rights than your average working stiff.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:30 PM
link   
This is new? I'm 32. Lived in Detroit my whole life and it has sucked the entire time. My neighborhood is uneffected by todays economy...it was effected by the influx of crack coc aine in the mid eighties and it has never recovered. Keep hearing about jobs and crooked government...believe me, the crack, heroin, guns, hookers, gangs and crooked cops were here while the auto industry was booming and kwame was wearing Adidas with no laces. Flint and sag are rough sure...but the people who compare them to Detroit have never been to Detroit. This is 3rd world. This is hell. And it has been for many many years. What you people are speaking of is the death of the SUBURBS of Detroit. City itself died ages ago.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

They also keep evicting the homeless from there camps as well. The cops cleaned house at the I-94 Ann Arbor Saline exit. I think they are all down by K-mart now in that area. My brother went through the homeless shelter when he had his trouble with drugs and it is exactly what you said, a revolving door. Around here your either struggling, or your thriving off others struggles.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruckDriver69

Ya, I heard they are letting nature reclaim large swaths of Flint. Entire neighborhoods are being destroyed and nature is claiming its rightful place there.

Parts of the new Red Dawn movie were filmed there as well. That should give everyone an idea of what the backdrop looks like in a city destroyed by corporate greed and roaming thugs with more rights than your average working stiff.

They could use those areas to film those 'life after people' shows that I have seen on the television.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by TruckDriver69

Ashes to ashes and dust to dust right, I'm glad they are finally letting nature run its course instead of trying to put temporary bandages on everything. Wise man once told me, " Try as hard as you may, you cannot polish a turd' with Detroit-Saginaw-Flint being the turd in question.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by FloatingGhost
This is new? I'm 32. Lived in Detroit my whole life and it has sucked the entire time. My neighborhood is uneffected by todays economy...it was effected by the influx of crack coc aine in the mid eighties and it has never recovered. Keep hearing about jobs and crooked government...believe me, the crack, heroin, guns, hookers, gangs and crooked cops were here while the auto industry was booming and kwame was wearing Adidas with no laces. Flint and sag are rough sure...but the people who compare them to Detroit have never been to Detroit. This is 3rd world. This is hell. And it has been for many many years. What you people are speaking of is the death of the SUBURBS of Detroit. City itself died ages ago.

Thanks for giving a shout out from the city itself. What are your views if any on how to improve the cty and surrounding suburbs? How do you feel about Mayor Bing? Is he helping, or is he making things worse?

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
Things in Detroit just keep getting worse and worse. The city itself now wants to run people out of neighborhoods and is abandoning services in some as well. I believe Detroit is ground zero for the failure of our nation. Soon we will be seeing these situations in most cities and eventually spreading to smaller cities and towns. It is a shame because Detroit really is a cool city with alot of history. I fear that if TSHTF I will be invaded by those who the city has abandoned due to where I live. Southeastern Michigan is suffering and most of it has to do with Detroit and the automakers. Don't even get me started on the unions and what they have done. Let's just say without unions maybe bailouts would have never been necasary. But we live in a country where everyone wants more than they deserve and now we are paying the price for that severely.

I have seen alot of threads lately about jobs and how they are there if you look. Well looking in this area is pointless for most due to the dire situation of the local economies. Around here there are either those who are wealthy and prospering, or those who are struggling. There is no in between. And the group of the struggling is growing everyday. Unemployment statistics don't mean a thing around here because any agency reporting them is lowballing bigtime. My town was hit hard during the 2008 debacle due to it being supported by having the Crysler Proving Grounds employ half the town. Overall it is just depressing. Depressing to hear stories like the ones I am going to present here. I am going to provide some stories of the struggles of Detroit and what you may have to look forward to in your cities in the future.

because really Detroit was the only place in the country building and manufacturing cars. And the gurus there didn't use their withered noggin to say ok, we should use our money and good times to continue to progress technologically, thereby making more jobs for the blue collar man, instead of sitting on a job that was paying great and so why go up against the greasy cash cow.

Use the FDR model to put the auto industry back to work building other things the nation needs! River systems. And fewer automobiles, and less use of them. We need effective mass transportation. And to do that you need to think in fifty year terms, we've got to think fifty years ahead.
edit on 21-5-2012 by MarkScheppy because: ag

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Ya, the problem is the housing crisis has the entire metro Detroit area in its sites and the investors are moving in these thugs. We are being surrounded and we have safe homes with nice families. When you corner a rabid dog he usually bites. I am not so sure a powder keg isn't going to be set off here pretty soon.

I really think something is going to galvanize a backlash against the thuggery and corruption and when it happens it's not going to be a pretty site. It may not happen here in Metro Detroit, it may happen elsewhere. The thing is, we aren't like the Europeans. We are armed to the teeth in this country.

I can envision someone or a group of someones doing something that is just too unforgivable or just the last straw that it may trigger a more violent backlash than anyone realizes. A backlash that just keeps going until the whole nation is on fire and there is no quarter given to the guilty.

I think that is when all political correctness bets will be off the table and people will start realizing that economic depression is no excuse for thuggery or corruption.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkScheppy

Detroit is now the city that could have been. Your right, if the industy would have evolved and stayed soley here this state would be prospering so much more. This entire area of the country could have been great but greed sold out the working man and now we are left to survive the fallout.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Exactly!
Ya know I didn't mention G.Rapids, Kalamazoo, Bay city and port horun (whoa what a ghost of a city) and it's a port. Like I said it's all a sellout.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
And on another note I recently also came across this video brought to you by the one and only Johnny Knoxville.
Kinda shows the opposite of what the original OP is about. There could be a future most don't know about???.
Documentary of Detroit by Johnny Knoxville, and Palladium Boots.

Johnny Knoxville: Detroit Lives

edit on 21-5-2012 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruckDriver69
I live just north of Detroit. Here is what is happening in Detroit and all across American.

Hazel Park and Warren, suburbs just north of Detroit are turning into Section 8 Nightmares due to the housing crisis. Europeans and the Chinese are investing in distressed real estate in these areas. Those that manage their portfolios are going for the safest tenants (Financially) and only renting to those that have a subsidy from the government to cover the rent so the investment is secure.

This brings in all the crime. The slugs of our civilization are creeping north and pretty soon Detroit will meet Flint in the middle. It seems to me they gutted America through "free trade" and the vultures are here to eat what's left.

p.s.
The Speed Sick Ad on the home page crashed Chrome. I guess you could say that ad stinks!

I graduated from East Detroit , ( now East Pointe) and when I left 9 mile/Gratiot area 20 yrs ago, it was still a decent neighborhood, but now it's awful. The crime crept in, and people started leaving. People are just walking away from their homes and they end up abandoned/crack houses. The property values have dropped so much and with all the crime, it's not worth it to stay---it's not safe to stay. I'm glad I don't live near there anymore. I'm still in SE MI, but about 45 miles from the Detroit area.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Unfortunately you are right. Crime is up everywhere and is steadily rising. Things are surely going to get much worse. I am glad I live out in the country but we will have to deal with people coming from the city soon enough I believe.

Thanks USMC for your reply. Lucky you in the country. I'm jealous. I'm stuck in Metropolis without a shred of hope for resettle. I know one thing. Whatever happens, I am not going to become like the forces of darkness that want to ravage everyone and everything. They tempt me down to their level of living. They want me to rise and fight and kill and destroy. Even in the name of destroying their evil it is still wrong to become like them. I refuse to become like them.

Of course you already know that.

edit on 22-5-2012 by intrptr because: BB code

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I went to detroit when I was a kid in 1992 when I was visiting my family in canada.
Me , my father and uncle went to the henry ford museum.

However before that my uncle took me and my dad through some of the worse areas to show us what it was like
I saw some really bad areas , where houses were set on fire for fun and the roads were all chewed up and breaking apart. The trees were growing out of the concrete pathing !

Not much has changed since then huh !

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I am NOT for forced relocation but I hate to say consolidating the remaining people to the "stable" neighborhoods does make a lot of sense. Bulldoze the empty neighborhoods and turn it into farmland.... I grew up in a section of Detroit called Warrendale in the 80's and 90's. It looks absolutely dreadful now, so sad. The relocation effort really needs to be driven by the remaining people in order to work.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by usmc0311
reply to post by Afterthought

Watching the 24 minute video now. Watched all of the others as well. Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it. I think you may be right about the freedom ghetto scensrio as well.

I'm so glad you're taking the time to watch the videos. As you stated, they're quite eye opening and it's impossible to write these plans off as just imaginative creations. I did a thread on these a while back and presented the idea that the housing crash was by design so they could bring about these different scenarios. Although it didn't get much attention, I'm glad I can bring the same info forward in your thread and it wakes up those who weren't able to wrap their minds around it then.

Not to mention, in (I believe) Scenario 4 Megacity, it's not any big deal if you hit a guy on a bicycle with your car.

Regarding the "Freedom Ghetto", it's obvious that they want us to believe that they are outcasts who don't deserve to live around the mainstream folks. We'll just have to sit back and watch this all unfold because that's all we can do. The Totalitarian Tiptoe has truly hoodwinked the masses. For those who don't know about the Totalitarian Tiptoe, just think of the frog in boiling water situation. Same thing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join