It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Detroit Is Dying, And Killing Michigan In The Process. Is Your City Next?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
How many of you Eastern Michiganers are voting for the status quo in November? It's going to take some bold actions at the very top in order for re-birth to occur in the dying cities of our nation.
We need someone brave enough with strong enough following to put a stop to the out-sourcing, stop the cheap importing, stop the foreign buyouts of our nations companies...to reinvest anything and everything here in this country.
This country was the producer of steel, excellent quality steel whose ore was mined here. From Duluth to Pittsburgh from the mine, to the transportation of ore, to the foundries, to the transportation of the finished product to the manufacturers and construction companies...steel was the backbone of industry.

So, we need the man of steel in DC. He's not the former Governor of Mass, nor the former Senator from Illinois, those are members of the Legion of Doom.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
uhhh, Metro detroit is one of the largest population state. Not only industry wise, which is dying and has been due to automotive issues. Besides that majority of jobs outside of the city is farming! surprisingly which isn't much of a big deal anymore

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
the republican governor has sent out his own city dictators to run things...and here i thought republicans still thought the right to vote was important and constitutional...oh yeah...rights are not for the poor...i forget...my bad.
besides they have more important things to do, like getting rid of roe v.wade, trying to prove Obama is one of "them others", making sure the oil corporations keep getting their billions in taxpayerr subsidies, keeping that top tax rate from going any higher, suppressing voting rights...you know...important helpful legislation.
edit on 22-5-2012 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Detroit has been in decline since 2002, this is a fact!

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by proob4

There stilll are some great aspects to the city. I still love to go downtown from time to time. I was on the Free Press site thismorning and came across this article.

www.freep.com...

The Michigan Department of Natural Resources said this morning it anticipates as many as a million visitors a year coming to its planned discovery center to be built in the historic Globe Building on Detroit’s east riverfront.

Features will include a 60-foot climbing wall, an archery range, simulator rides demonstrating kayaking and other water sports, and classrooms to teach schoolchildren and other visitors outdoor safety as well as the science of natural resources and wetlands.

The details were revealed at this morning’s meeting of the city’s Economic Development Corp., a quasi-public board that holds title to the Globe building for the city.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by primus2012
How many of you Eastern Michiganers are voting for the status quo in November? It's going to take some bold actions at the very top in order for re-birth to occur in the dying cities of our nation.
We need someone brave enough with strong enough following to put a stop to the out-sourcing, stop the cheap importing, stop the foreign buyouts of our nations companies...to reinvest anything and everything here in this country.
This country was the producer of steel, excellent quality steel whose ore was mined here. From Duluth to Pittsburgh from the mine, to the transportation of ore, to the foundries, to the transportation of the finished product to the manufacturers and construction companies...steel was the backbone of industry.

So, we need the man of steel in DC. He's not the former Governor of Mass, nor the former Senator from Illinois, those are members of the Legion of Doom.

Very nicely put. We need the manufacturing jobs to return if we ever want to repair things here.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
uhhh, Metro detroit is one of the largest population state. Not only industry wise, which is dying and has been due to automotive issues. Besides that majority of jobs outside of the city is farming! surprisingly which isn't much of a big deal anymore

I live out in the farming area. It's a shame to drive along and see the farmers growing the subsidized crops as well. The farmers are starting to have a hard time due to fuel costs along with many other rising costs. Also the strange weather has not been the best for the crops the last few years, at least out here in my corner of the county.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

I disagree. Detroit needs to be a hybrid of computer, electronic, software and automotive.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jordan River
reply to post by usmc0311

I disagree. Detroit needs to be a hybrid of computer, electronic, software and automotive.

That would also be nice to see, but I doubt it will happen.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I grew up in Hartland, lived in Waterford, novi and st Clair shores. EMU grad. What is happening is so sad on so many levels, but don't know what, if anything, can be done about it.

I worked at a certain sports radio station....ahem wdfn... For four years and was hired here in Seattle back in 2000. I got out just in time, but it's catching up to all cities now.

Detroit was ahead of the curve.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I loved Detroit. Grew up there; Father played for the Lions in 30's. I cruised Woodward Ave; hung out at Big Boy; Checked out the new cars every fall; got jobs at Pontiac Plant during summer breaks from college on the night assembly line and fulltime after college. They gave me a leave of absence when I was drafted. When I returned from Vietnam, they had a management job waiting for me. Pontiac was selling a million cars a year. I left after 20+ years. GM was like family. Michigan people are the best and I have worked in 30 states.
Who in hell nuked Michigan while I was gone? Shame on you.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TruckDriver69

I agree with you completely that there is a powder keg down there with the fuse already lit. You've got animals running the streets knowing they can most likely get away with whatever crimes they commit due to police layoffs and apathy among those who are left. I feel for anyone who owns a house in close proximity to the cities downstate, anyone hoping for housing prices to go back up or crime rates to go down is living in a fantasy world. Its simply not going to happen. I'm very suprised we aren't seeing vigilante justice taking place yet, only a matter of time. And ^$*@ political correctness ; )

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4

I'll have to check the video out later, if it's about a resurgent manufacturing base down there I'd have to say raindrops in the ocean as far as how much of an effect it's going to have. Most of the metro areas down there are lost causes, as unfortunate as that is. I will check that video out though.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit between the Gratiot and Groesbeck corridors back in the 70s and 80s. I saw the decline slowly creep down from Mt Clemens in the north and up from south of 7Mile rd. I worked on 8 mile went to college downtown, rented store fronts on the eastside south of the Pointes. I clearly saw that Detroit must have been a great place from the 1920s until about the late 1950s. In the 1980s, when I started to see gang signs and more homeless people on Gratiot, I knew I had to leave. I finally escaped in the late 1990s. I still have friends there but feel bad for everyone who decided to stay.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Well the Detroit Free Press is just the bearer of bad news day after day. Just take a look at this article explaining the recent increase in crime.

www.freep.com...

Detroit police have been working to quell an uptick in violent crime, with 8 homicides and 33 non-fatal shootings in the past five days, Police Chief Ralph Godbee Jr said today.

Police have closed two of the homicide cases, two remain wide open and investigators are following tips on the others, he said.

“We are swimming upstream from a violent crime standpoint,” he said. “As quickly as we catch one bad guy, the circumstances on the ground continue to feed this monster.”

Total homicides in the city are at 127 as of Sunday, up two homicides from the same time period last year, according to statistics listed on the police department’s website.

edit on 22/5/12 by usmc0311 because: poor spelling

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Half of Detroit’s Streetlights May Go Out as City Shrinks
www.bloomberg.com...

posted on May, 25 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Were on our way to that direction, certainly but we do have time to avert that fate if people would wise up. The biggest problem in Cleveland isn't the city itself it is the suburbs and their myriad of taxes choking the entire region. No one wants to give up their little kingdoms. Couple that with a primarily conservative state forcing it's small minded agenda on everyone. Just how long did it take them to legalize gambling? And even when they did they screwed that one up. One owner monopolizing the gambling yay us. Lap dances that must be done 5 ft away from the patrons. Shutting down profitable businesses in the Flats that then sat empty for the better part of the decade.

And that doesn't even begin to cover the general political corruption statewide.

posted on May, 26 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Found this video thought I'd share it.

posted on Jun, 2 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DIRTYDONKEY

Great video, good review of the facts. Although, the facts make no difference to those who propagate these policies.

Just returned from a trip home, mostly stayed in Lansing. Many empty and closed businesses. Some of the really big manufacturing plants were completely removed, the big Olds plant is gone now.

Watching the video I was reminded of what Pripyat, Ukraine looks like, the city near the Chernobyl disaster.

Once all the people are gone, farming takes over. Farmers have their own way of doing things. They have to be strong and independent by nature. Natures course seems to be to to replace the big city with small farms...

America, wake up. All this has already been tried and failed. Turn before we reach the cliff.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DIRTYDONKEY

Great video. Thanks for posting it. Great example of how corruption and the unions ruined the city. It's pretty horrifying to see the condition of the old factories and houses.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join