It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Detroit Is Dying, And Killing Michigan In The Process. Is Your City Next?

page: 2
34
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought
 


Watching the 24 minute video now. Watched all of the others as well. Interesting stuff. Thanks for posting it. I think you may be right about the freedom ghetto scensrio as well.




posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This is what happens when you let corporations outsource the production and labor to another country for the bottom line. Then the government tries social experiments, instead it should not have let GM leave.

The same thing is going to spread to all of America.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by underduck
 


No matter how bad it gets unless people are effected then they just don't care. Too many people who just care about themselves over others. Sometimes this world just makes me sick.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are
 


Glad to see there are others close by. I'm sure you have noticed the decline in some parts of Ann Arbor while the city is doing all their work downtown at city hall.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mountainmeg
Born in Pontiac, raised in Oakland County, college in East Lansing then Rochester. Got my bachelor degree in 1992 and left the next week. No jobs then - that was the year the auto companies started laying off the white collar workers. No jobs now - my mom & stepdad early retired years ago after their jobs were sent to China.

I don't miss the mosquitoes, but it sure was beautiful.


It's still beautiful but the bugs this year are reminding me of the many years I spent in North Carolina. The auto companies are still outsourcing more and the bailouts did not help the auto workers. They only helped the brass in the long run.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling
 


Thanks for posting that. I will deffinitely check it out. Sounds very interesting. I think the worst is yet to come and it is coming fast.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kawika
 


My family and I are seriously thinking about leaving. It is just so hard to pick up and move these days. I just want to go somewhere far away from people. I'm thinking Montana or Wyoming. I've always wanted to live in that part of the county.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starchild23
I don't know if any of you are familiar with Manistee...

But Manistee is, quite frankly, the dark side of the modern and the dark side of the old-fashioned. It's the worst of both worlds, and it's being pulled apart at the seams.

One way or another, it will flounder and become a small island in an ocean of development. If there is any sign that Michigan has sunk deep, it can be found in Manistee. Either that, or the city is being run by idiots.

Which is also a sign of Michigan's grand fail.


Sure am. I have an aunt that lives up there and worked at the prison for many years. I know things are bad there as well. I'm not sure how the salt industry has been up there but we sure didn't use much this winter.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Cleveland is Detroit jr.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sailormon
 


I still stay in contact with a teacher of mine and she does nothing but complain about how things are being done. Everywhere you look in Michigan the systems are failing and it is just terrible. I think Michigan will be the first to fall all the way through if and when STHTF.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr
 


Unfortunately you are right. Crime is up everywhere and is steadily rising. Things are surely going to get much worse. I am glad I live out in the country but we will have to deal with people coming from the city soon enough I believe.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
This is what happens when you let corporations outsource the production and labor to another country for the bottom line. Then the government tries social experiments, instead it should not have let GM leave.

The same thing is going to spread to all of America.


Your absolutely right. I drive by three or four empty factories just to go into town. They used to supply manufacturing jobs for the auto industry but now they just sit empty.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Cleveland is Detroit jr.


I agree, I have been to Cleveland quite a few times now, and it reminds me very much of Detroit. I do like the theatre district area downtown though. My brother-in law just moved there and he seems to like it but I'm not sure which area they live in.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I live just north of Detroit. Here is what is happening in Detroit and all across American.

Hazel Park and Warren, suburbs just north of Detroit are turning into Section 8 Nightmares due to the housing crisis. Europeans and the Chinese are investing in distressed real estate in these areas. Those that manage their portfolios are going for the safest tenants (Financially) and only renting to those that have a subsidy from the government to cover the rent so the investment is secure.

This brings in all the crime. The slugs of our civilization are creeping north and pretty soon Detroit will meet Flint in the middle. It seems to me they gutted America through "free trade" and the vultures are here to eat what's left.

p.s.
The Speed Sick Ad on the home page crashed Chrome. I guess you could say that ad stinks!



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by proob4
 


I've lived in all three you just named and I have to agree with you, Flint and Saginaw are worse and getting worse every time I have to drive down for anything.

Anybody who wants to experience some post economic collapse living right now go spend a couple weeks in one of these towns.

I still have love for Saginaw as I grew up there and have close friends and family still making a go of it, but the best thing I did was move 4 hours northward. Haven't been shot at up here once ; )

It's hard to explain Saginaw or Flint to someone who never lived there, but you could honestly have someone run up on you with violence in mind at anytime. Robberies, armed and strong-arm, gun violence, knife violence, groups of people treating daily life like Braveheart. It is just crraaaaaazzzy down there.

Still love the Blvd. though.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruckDriver69
I live just north of Detroit. Here is what is happening in Detroit and all across American.

Hazel Park and Warren, suburbs just north of Detroit are turning into Section 8 Nightmares due to the housing crisis. Europeans and the Chinese are investing in distressed real estate in these areas. Those that manage their portfolios are going for the safest tenants (Financially) and only renting to those that have a subsidy from the government to cover the rent so the investment is secure.

This brings in all the crime. The slugs of our civilization are creeping north and pretty soon Detroit will meet Flint in the middle. It seems to me they gutted America through "free trade" and the vultures are here to eat what's left.

p.s.
The Speed Sick Ad on the home page crashed Chrome. I guess you could say that ad stinks!


It seems to be spreading in all directions doesn't it. We have alot of drug trafficking going on out here on top of alot of B&Es and robberys and crimes that used to be severely abnormal for this area. We also have housing that is using the same practices and ushering crime right on in for some government money.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuestionsEverything
reply to post by proob4
 


I've lived in all three you just named and I have to agree with you, Flint and Saginaw are worse and getting worse every time I have to drive down for anything.

Anybody who wants to experience some post economic collapse living right now go spend a couple weeks in one of these towns.

I still have love for Saginaw as I grew up there and have close friends and family still making a go of it, but the best thing I did was move 4 hours northward. Haven't been shot at up here once ; )

It's hard to explain Saginaw or Flint to someone who never lived there, but you could honestly have someone run up on you with violence in mind at anytime. Robberies, armed and strong-arm, gun violence, knife violence, groups of people treating daily life like Braveheart. It is just crraaaaaazzzy down there.

Still love the Blvd. though.


Yeah, you guys had the serial stabber up there hitting bus stops. As much as Micheal Moore gets on my nerves he did a good job of showing the atrocities that destroyed Flint in one of his films. I can't remember which one but I would advise anyone to at least watch that part. I will see if I can find it on youtube.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp
 


You couldn't have spoke truer words, this is exactly what drug me north. It seems like a throwback in time just being able to walk around worry free at night up here. Fish and game is very plentiful and there are many beaches within 20 miles where I can go and not see another soul. Good area to brush up on your self-sufficiency and survivalism.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by kawika
Back from Navy, 1990, found work in automotive testing/ engineering.

Laid off in 2005, automotive engineering.

Found work in less than one month. Lasted 3.5 yrs. Laid off in 2009.

No work... Sat image old house location

Left everything for work in So. California. Been here 2.5 yrs. 2 promotions...

Last one out, turn off the lights.

I miss my boat.
edit on 21-5-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

edit on 21-5-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

edit on 21-5-2012 by kawika because: add text

edit on 21-5-2012 by kawika because: added image

edit on 21-5-2012 by kawika because: added link


7 year or so lurker here, just signed up.

Crazy. I check out any Michigan thread (they're usually about the cesspool that is Detroit) I grew up off of Harvey Lake Rd in Highland, right down the road from you. Still live in Michigan but downriver now. I'm in accounting and things are good for me. Most of my friends are doing ok as well. It's not the greatest in Michigan right now, but it has been getting better somewhat it seems. Unemployment is down to 8.5% from 14% or so a few years ago. Michigan has a long way to go but it's not all doom and gloom here.



posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311
 


Roger and Me, showcased how Flint was turned over to the wolves.

USMC, man get out of Southeastern Michigan while you can, if things get as bad as they possibly could you're going to have a epic journey in trying to get away from the D's sphere of influence. And not an epic journey with a puppy and kitten trying to find their way home. More like scenes from The Road but with 10 million people caught up in an orgy of violence. It isn't going to be pretty if any number of chickens come home to roost.




top topics



 
34
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

log in

join