It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NATO declares missile shield up and running

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Today at the NATO summit, held in Chicago, Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen declared an "interim capabilty" of the European missile shield. He stated that it is up and running with basic capabilities to shoot down incoming missiles.

yahoo.com

CHICAGO (AP) — NATO says that its European missile shield is up and running with a basic capability to shoot down incoming missiles.

Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said Sunday the declaration of "interim capability" at the alliance's summit in Chicago is a first step toward a goal of establishing full coverage of Europe by 2018. A final stage is planned for 2022 that would also provide coverage of the United States from Europe.

edit on 20-5-2012 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

+22 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Expect Poland to be smoked by a few Topol-M's. This anti-missile shield is an act of aggression. Why you say it is aggression? Because having an anti-missile shield defends against retaliatory attack which is the whole purpose of MAD. Now that if one side has a missile shield MAD is not gonna work. I wonder what the US would say if Russia lets say planted missiles in...Oh I don't know Cuba.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

We soon shall see. I, for one, am not holding my breath.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Intelligent people.........

Would take all those things apart. Save the casings and outsides in museums, so future generations could see how our stupid forefathers left us with this mess of war and hate.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Why does everyone fret over something that isnt gonna happen? My folks said they did it too as well as their parents.

I guess every new generation that comes along who learns of this potential has to fret about it and act like it is something new.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
I'm still not entirely sure why they are still trying to convince everyone that there will be missle wars....when the real true threat is actually biowarfare with airborne viruses such as ebola. Which are undetectable and undefensable until it's too late. All that has to happen is for some terrorists to board multiple flights and travel the world while infecting everone at every stop and boom...millions dead without one missle being fired. Makes thier missle shield obsolete and useless.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Not so true either. The real threats are economic. And these threats are currently underway NOW. And have been. Its an intelligence war, based on economies.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The concern over missiles isn't really the traditional NATO vs. Warsaw Pact thing. Missile technology has gotten out into the "wild" and the US and EU are worried about so called rogue nations using medium range and ICBMs to delivery chemical / biological weapons. Of course, there is also concern that Iran will have nuclear weapons and the missiles to deliver them.

A fundamental Muslim government with those kinds of weapons is our biggest nightmare right now. The concern is that they will not respond to a MAD type scenario and would be willing to take the retaliatory attack if it means they can destroy Israel and possibly a few of their supporters.

Russia has been quietly working on developing its own shield technology and system, also. They have the same kind of concerns which are actually more about former USSR states who have the scientists and technology (some even have the missiles left over) and were not part of the USSR "voluntarily" so to speak.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I guess this is why Putin skipped the G-8.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Did somebody say my name? I heard my name a few times. Well, while i'm here, I agree that there are more pressing things to fret over, like the economy and rising food prices. A missile shield is something we civilians have no control over. But we can do something about food prices; start a garden, barter vegetables and home raised eggs for services, other food, maybe your neighbors plums in the fall. Look up ”Victory Garden”, for those of you who don't know what it was.

Miss Sile

edit on 5/20/2012 by Miss Sile because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Am I missing something here? They come to America to have a nato meeting about protecting Europe with a missile defense shield and maybe putting some up in (in Europe) to protect America in 2022?

What the hell kind of crap is this?

Why are we in NATO...just to get screwed? We get that from the UN...we get it coming and going and we just keep sending money out to countries who hate us....

Love that big "L" stamped on our collective forehead.....I have no love for the Kennedy's but at least JFK had some b#[email protected] course that's why he's dead...we need another leader like him.

time to get out of NATO, the UN and get our soldiers home to take care of ourselves!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
reply to post by Daedal

I guess this is why Putin skipped the G-8.

I laughed at first but seriously, I wouldn't put it past him. This missile shield issue is a big deal, follow my threads about it because I'm usually first to update, but looks like Daedal beat me to the punch today. Like THE_PROFESSIONAL said, don't be surprised if you suddenly see some missiles overhead streaming towards these shields. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it'll happen eventually.

Edit; here's a different link that goes into detail about what the shield has the capability of so far
news.xinhuanet.com...
edit on 20-5-2012 by concernedcitizen519 because: provided extra link

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
the missile shield will stop the first... dozen? 20? missiles?

What about the other thousand after that?

What happens if who ever is attacking, launched missiles at the anti-missile shield FIRST, and then send their nukes flying?

sense = 0

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
It’s all about the intimidation factor. They’re giving the middle finger to anyone who cares enough to take it personally. The nations and/or groups this is directed towards know who they are.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
You people still believe
america doesn't have this yet?

+19 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Expect Poland to be smoked by a few Topol-M's.

I'll call your bluff.

When it happens let us all know. Otherwise, that's just another one of your wishful diluted fantasies. Russia wont/can't do squat unless they want to start WW-III. I bet 'Poland getting smoked' would probably make your day just so you could say...

"See, I was right!"
edit on 20-5-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   

This anti-missile shield is an act of aggression

Silly me i thought the idiot who launches missiles at people is an act of aggression the act of intercepting those missiles is the act of saving your own butt,

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
Expect Poland to be smoked by a few Topol-M's. This anti-missile shield is an act of aggression. Why you say it is aggression? Because having an anti-missile shield defends against retaliatory attack which is the whole purpose of MAD. Now that if one side has a missile shield MAD is not gonna work. I wonder what the US would say if Russia lets say planted missiles in...Oh I don't know Cuba.

I never knew, this missile shield is going to intercept all of the missiles coming from Russia which is going to make MAD be no more.

Please, tell me more.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Laxpla

It is not intended to intercept all, some of them and that still affects retaliatory attacks.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Would you be happy if it was a ground invasion? Did you remember Polands entire government being wiped out last year by a suspected Russian hit.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join