It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But People Don't Want To Work!

page: 29
<< 26  27  28    30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

In this day and age, with our production capabilities, people shouldn't have to work terrible jobs for lousy pay.

With our production capabilities, companies don't need many people at all for production or office work for that matter. Therein lies the rub. You don't think you should be given a job where you can draw top dollar and surf the net, do you?

It seems to me that people are going to need to find their own way in life with jobs they create for themselves. The alternative is, in fact, terrible jobs for lousy pay. If you want trade jobs like in the "good old days", we'll have to destroy computers and automation.

Sometimes I think civilization may have to be destoyed so that we can have the fulfilling task of rebuilding it. Alas, 2012 will probably come and go just like all of the others. Sigh.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Citizens don't have that luxory unfortunately.

Sounds like people "up North" vote as poorly as the people do in the US. Our citizens are the reason we are in these terrible times. They vote continuously for people like Ted Kennedy, and then wonder why things stay the same or get worse. It surely didn't help when people voted Americans out of employment by purchasing the junk that was made in China just to save a few cents. There is no backbone in American any longer. Why didn't they boycott those companies that outsourced labor? Because they liked the notion that they were getting things for a few cents cheaper. It caught on. Companies must now outsource the labor or go out of business. Rank and file citizens did this to themselves.

It is time to vote the garbage out of office and buy only those good made by our countrymen. If people are too compacent to do these two things, and more, things will only get worse.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LifeIsPeculiar

Yes, I am originally from NY, Been in canada about 6 years now. I thought originally, that I was escaping insanity, but now I see even here people are nuts! Property taxes per year here are low as hell, I paid less per month in NY. But all the other taxes...... It is as bad, or maybe even worse here.

One example here, is called stamps. You pay half your paycheck into a fund if you work a seasonal job. Then during the offseason, you get some of the money you pay into the fund back.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Edit: Apologies, I've posted in the wrong thread. Doh!

edit on 20-5-2012 by Jean Paul Zodeaux because: (no reason given)

link   

link   

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   

The better answer is to do what they do in Germany, job share. People work half a week and gets lots of vacation time.

This is the logical step to deal with increased productivity, but too many people here are too greedy to go for such a solution. The people at the top are even more greedy, and will fight against any such situation.

People in the U.S. need to wake up and start defending their rights again, and stop buying into the free market nonsense.

Without consumers, people making enough money to generate demand, then markets and capitalism doesn't work. We have been limping along so far on debt, but that is completely unsustainable. If things don't change then our economy will continue to collapse, and all that debt will have to be written off, and huge amounts of money will disappear, or get inflated away.

The best thing we could do is outsource our corporate heads who the the most overpaid people in the history of the planet. We get rid of these crooks, and we would all be better off. IMO, that is the only final answer.

These giant corporate entities have gained so much power thorough corruption and manipulations of the system it is the true travesty of our system. The small numbers of people getting tiny amounts of money for government assistance don't bother me, it is the corporations sucking up huge amounts of money that are screwing everyone else.

Back in the day, there was a real need for large amounts of capital for industry, but with automation, that is no longer necessary. I have been saying for a long time now, what we will eventually see is revision of the cottage industry where small independents produce most of the goods and services, and get rid of the hugely expensive big corporation over head. The light sweet easy to get crude has been the big key to these giant business entities staying on top, but as the oil is running out, it will no longer be efficient to make goods on one side of the planet, and sell them on the other.

We just need to go through the next business cycle.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Falls on deaf ears.....NY is a sanctuary state to say the least.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I Deliver Pizza I make around 700+ monthly. Its not glamourous, I wear a hat and uniform. But at least now I can pay for my weed.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
I just want a job that doesn't pee test. There are plenty of truck driver jobs out there, but I do not have a CDL nor the funds to get one. Other than that it's dry here. No jobs.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ookie
I just want a job that doesn't pee test. There are plenty of truck driver jobs out there, but I do not have a CDL nor the funds to get one. Other than that it's dry here. No jobs.

Why? Any idiot can pass a pee test. When I was a District Manager for an automotive repair company, I used to tell folks it was an intelligence test. We would tell them at least 2 days ahead of time that they were scheduled for a test. If they still failed the test, then they deserved to be fired or not hired. If you are doing things that can't be cleared in 2 days, then you're a safety liability. If you are not doing the hard stuff, then you ought to be able to back off for 2 days, take some diuretics, drink some beer or sweet tea and legitimately pass the test.

A pee test shouldn't be stopping any resourceful person from getting a job, regardless of their controversial hobbies.

If you can't handle your hobbies and handle getting a good job at the same time, then you need to make some life changes. Give up the hobbies if you can't handle them.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
OP , what if someone read your post and they decided to become an electrician. So they manage to scrounge up money for second hand equipment and a rusty work van. they read some books and learn by trial and error. Lets say he has been unemployed for a few years and is living on the brink. Getting donated clothes and food.

Lets say you need some electrical work done and lets say hypothetically even further that this man managed to put his add in the yellowpages. Lets say you just happen to call the first number there and its him. Lets say this guy shows up to your house in worn sneaks worn street clothes, a rusty van and looks a little perplex about what you want him to do.

would you really want him working on your house or would you rather call a certified electrician from an established company. chances are this newbie is still learning, possibly uninsured, you really do not know how things will be handled if your home is damaged by this individual.

The same can be said for a plumber or almost any trade. there is a risk factor. Even with mechanics. These people are as only good as their word.

are you willing to take that risk? maybe you are. Can you be for certain that there will be plenty of other people who will feel the same way as you?? you need a liscense to do this kind of work and some require an apprenticeship even to be liscensed.

what you are spouting off sounds great in theory but we do not live in an american where this is still possible.

I work for a telecom company. with my work i can become a contractor. I have 6yrs experience in all sorts of transport switching and networking equipment. the only reason i cannot do it is because although I know how to do it, I need to have all the certifications to be an independent contractor. Training for most equipment is 4k and up Per class for certification. If i do not have this certification companies will not let me touch their equipment. even my company won't and they know me. because if something goes wrong and i was not certified they are in for a #storm.

you live in a very unrealistic world. this might work for some but not all. I know a mechanic who has a shop downtown in my city. it is a really bad part of town. He has his shop and he and his family live in the back of the shop.

he does great work, deals with only cash, has great prices but he is still living in the pits of the city. he says if he was certified he would probably do a lot better.

When I got into my job i started out as a linesman. A few guys who started with me were independent contractors electricians. they were so happy to get out of that kind of work. Because of how crappy it was. You just cannot compete with certifications and established company names. People have been conditioned to want everthing insured. that is something an independent contractor cannot afford usually it eats up too much of their income.

I am not saying there is no sense in what you are saying but spouting off that this is the silver bullet to fix your problems then you are just as delusional as those whining about wages when they do nothing to better themselves.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by votan

would you really want him working on your house or would you rather call a certified electrician from an established company. chances are this newbie is still learning, possibly uninsured, you really do not know how things will be handled if your home is damaged by this individual.

Electricians and Plumbers are a little different because of the Unions. But, being an all around "handy man" that does electrician and plumbing repairs is pretty common without having to go through all the apprentice and journeyman work.

I've hired plenty of people that didn't look the part and still did ok work. It depends on the job I need done. If I want 240 ground fault, ran to my pool pump and pool light, drilled through a brick wall, and wired to my normal breaker box, then maybe I hire a real electrician. If I just want lights in my shed tied into an outside light, then maybe I hire some Mexicans, LOL! If I want my 85 Chevy Blazer worked on, maybe I take it to the shadetree mechanic. In fact, when I want any of my carburetored vehicles worked on, I usually have a mower repair shop do it, because today's certified mechanics suck at carburetor work. If I want my 2009 Camry Hybrid worked on, then I take it to Toyota where the ASE certified guys can work on it.

For the record, I have ASE certifications, passed the tests on my first try, and I've never worked as a mechanic in my life! I've always worked in management, and tinkered on my own vehicles. Being certified or not is no indication of quality of work. I got my first Air Conditioning Certification by accident. I showed up at an event to do some networking and outside sales, eat the free pizza, and then afterwards there was a test. I took it, and I passed, and I was suddenly certified in Auto Air Conditioning to recycle and/or dispose of the old R12 properly and retrofit to new R134A for automobiles. That was back in the early 90's. I later got my steering/suspension, brakes, and basic engine certifications just for the hell of it. I also have a Realtor license in 2 states, FEMA certifications for Emergency Management, I'm a Notary, I'm certified in contract negotiations and mediation, I'm licensed to do masonary work, build fences, decks, outbuildings, build trusses and put on roofing, and who knows what else that I've already forgotten about.

At one point, after my first bankruptcy, I bought a used $20 lawnmower, and I used it to make $100 the first day and bought a weedeater. I worked out of the back of a Dodge Omni, I made $500 that week and I used that to fix my .86 Ford truck. The next week I made $700 and I picked up a day laborer to help me with the weedeating. By the end of the 3rd week, I had lined up some steady mowing customers, and I had orders to build/repair some fences and decks, and I put my first ad in the paper. The ad got me in trouble, and I had to go get city and county licenses for the stuff I was doing, and that ate up most of that weeks profit, but then I was completely legit!

It is all about overcoming inertia. I think that might be the secret to life! Get up, get out, get to work doing something, even if it is for free! Hell, put your phone number on your window in shoe polish and go mow some old lady's yard for free. Maybe her friends or neighbors will notice.

At one point, I had a friend that took a little karaoke machine and started singing for free in retirement homes. He did it just for fun, but he started having people request him and pay him to come do it, and it turned into a nice side business.

Get up, get out, and get to moving, after that the whole world looks brighter.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

You have two established contractors here on the thread, and both admit right now they are struggling to make ends meet.

How is it then that others will be able to start a new company and succeed, when those currently in the trades are struggling.

Sure, there are illegals in many areas in the trades, and they share a room at someones house with other illegals, not exactly a good situation, because they can't earn decent money. They are only willing to do this because things are even worse in the countries where they come from.

I really have to defend poor ModernAcademia here... I understand exactly where he's coming from.

Fact is, we are not in Kansas anymore, Toto!

We can't afford to sit on our butts and feel sorry for ourselves, that's the whole truth. What are you guys going to do when your unemployment benefits run out -- live on air and water?

In other words, necessity is the mother of invention, as they say. People have to get creative and figure out a way to make a living instead of looking to someone to give them a job.

Find out what people need in these times of little money and great need, and GIVE it to them. For example, I can't sew to save my life, but even though so many people seem to be down on their money, it's nearly impossible for me to find a seamstress to hem some of my son's school uniforms. There should be ads out the wazoo in the paper from stay-at-home moms or out-of-work moms advertising their skills... but there aren't.

Same thing, when people don't have the money to just toss old stuff out and buy new stuff, they'll look to recycle and mend. Learn how to fix small appliances, learn how to fix shoes, learn how to fix bicycles. Offer to take over the grocery shopping for people who don't have the time to do themselves but the money to pay someone to do it. You can start a business with nothing... there's not always huge expenses involved.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
reply to post by ModernAcademia

LAZY? Applying for jobs, going to school, rewriting my resume, driving to different temp agencies, I would spend 4 -6 hours a day sometimes just looking for a job. How in the heck is that lazy? You just seem very judgemental to me. I stopped coming an ATS for a while due to the judgemental attitudes of some people.
Some people just expect way too much. I worked 2 jobs before 60 hours a week before I became too disabled for those long hours. After going to the Dr the 20th time for the same thing the Dr told me I would not live much longer if I did not cut my hours at work down by at least 40%.
Guess what I listened and I am still alive.

I don't think people are lazy so much as unimaginative. Most seem to have this herd mentality where you HAVE to apply for a job and someone HAS to hire them. All it takes to open up your own business is to make a list of all your skills, find out which ones could be worth something to other people -- especially in this crappy economy -- and get going... that is, find creative ways to make it happen.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obl1vion
people just lack the innovation... Period in America....

I see it all. around me...

Americans think they are entitled...

To eat and get fat... And be taken care of all their lives...

If work required labor, or something that makes them get up early its over...

This was the case even during the great BOOMing economy...!!!!!!!!!!!

There are so many followers in America its funny...

I have to concur. I moved to the US from Germany, and at first couldn't believe in how high regard my employers held me -- just because I was dedicated, reliable, tried to do the best job I could possibly do, and show up on time. My qualifications came on top... and often I didn't have any for the job I was doing... just a willingness to learn fast and do my best.

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I don't think people are lazy so much as unimaginative. Most seem to have this herd mentality where you HAVE to apply for a job and someone HAS to hire them. All it takes to open up your own business is to make a list of all your skills, find out which ones could be worth something to other people -- especially in this crappy economy -- and get going... that is, find creative ways to make it happen.

Some of you people don't get it. Starting a business is a planned thing. Not "hmm.. I'm unemployed now, I'll throw all my spare money into a business I'll start, and see what happens!" THAT.IS.NOT.REALITY!

Cost of starting a business? From www.startupnation.com...:

Cost of sales: Product inventory, raw materials, manufacturing equipment, shipping, packaging, shipping insurance, warehousing

Professional fees: Setting up a legal structure for your business (e.g. LLC, corporation), trademarks, copyrights, patents, drafting partnership and non-disclosure agreements, attorney fees for ongoing consultation, retaining an accountant

Technology costs: Computer hardware, computer software, printers, cell phones, PDAs, website development and maintenance, high-speed internet access, servers, security measures, IT consulting

Administrative costs: Various types of business insurance, office supplies, licenses and permits, express shipping and postage, product packaging, parking, rent, utilities, phones, copier, fax machine, desks, chairs, filing cabinets – anything else you need to have on a daily basis to operate a business

Sales and marketing costs: Printing of stationery, marketing materials, advertising, public relations, event or trade show attendance or sponsorship, trade association or chamber of commerce membership fees, travel and entertainment for client meetings, mailing or lead lists

Wages and benefits: Employee salaries, payroll taxes, benefits, workers compensation

Of course, there are other things to consider as well, including: NO MEDICAL BENEFITS! For any family that has a family member with an existing medical condition, either pay for your own medical insurance or paying as you can can be horribly expensive. So much so, it's not really even an option! Also, it takes TIME to build up a customer base. Your work will be slow for a good long while. The Small Business Association says that 60% of new businesses FAIL in the first 5 years. Yea.. those are great odds to play with, when talking about your families survival.

For someone who is recently unemployed, telling them to just go out and start a business.. and expect it to sustain them and their family, is ludicrous and STUPID. It's a surefire way to end up living in the street, or out of your car. What terrible advice. But what I can I expect from this site.. it's often full of horrible, even life-endangering advice from people who are too smart for their own good.

My advice to people looking for work: STAY ON YOUR BENEFITS and keep looking! Use all your resources - online especially. Look daily - use Craigslist as well, some great opportunities there (got a call from a law office today in regards to a job in fact). Don't listen to these idiots who say "omg.. you need to get off your butt and just work.. do anything!" As if it's their money you are being payed for unemployment - it's not. It's YOUR taxes, and your employers money. Not these self-righteous fools who insist that unless you are suffering and miserable, you are not doing it right.

edit on 21-5-2012 by fleabit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

by 2manyquestions

You're right that ten or twenty years ago a dollar bought more than it does now, yet wages didn't go up by much at all. It costs more to afford living expenses now than it did years ago, but this is exactly even more reason for why a person needs that plan B. People can't afford to NOT have a plan B. You think it's bad now? What if it gets worse? What are we going to do when it does become worse? Don't wait. Act now. Do whatever you have to do. Use your brain and think of a way out. My father's business has somewhat suffered due to the current economy, and that is why he's already got five ideas to replace it. If one idea fails, he's got another one to back it up.

I applaud you. And you're right -- it WILL get worse, much worse. I'm working for an investment publisher, and right now every economist and investment pro in their right mind say the very same thing: we're on the brink of total disaster. Europe is going down, China is going down, Japan is going down, and the US is too.

One of my bosses calls this the "Greater Depression," because he thinks it will be so much worse than the first one. He has a pretty pessimistic view of what's to come, but he says, "It's probably not only going to be worse than you think; it's going to be worse than you CAN think."

As I said in one of my other posts on this thread, Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore. You can get off your butts and become really inventive, really fast, or you can sit there and die. At some point there will be no more -- or a greatly diminished amount of -- welfare, Social Security, unemployment benefits... and after that, you're on your own.

Time is running out, but there still IS time. Better find something to do for yourself before it's too late.

edit on 21-5-2012 by sylvie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

You either don't get it, or you don't WANT to get it. When I say "start a business," I'm not talking vast overhead, ten employees, workman's comp, etc.... I'm talking about going out there and making yourself available to work for people (customers) in whatever you're good at. For crying out loud.

I even named all kinds of things one could do, from seamstress work, to small-appliance repair, to mending shoes, to fixing bicycles. Here's some more: dog walking, babysitting, house sitting, small handyman repairs, getting old junk together and selling it at yard sales or flea markets, and, and, and. With a little creativity, there's no end to the possibilities. Jesus. Christ.

posted on May, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
I got to page two and had it up to my eyeballs with the posts on here. Man, people want EVERYTHING handed to them including success. I've owned four businesses myself, all four have failed, but I don't give up and I'm setting up to open a fifth. Plus, I work a full time job.
I kept hearing "how are we supposed to learn these things?" "How are we supposed to pay for these things?" Do ANY of you have basic problem solving skills? Want to learn how to do something? There is this cool little place to go and they have all kinds of books on all kinds of subjects. Its called a library. Try reading sometime, its a wonderous thing to have your mind opened and learn new stuff. How do you pay for it? However the hell you can.
I hear everyone asking for answers, as if someone else is supposed to solve their problems for them. Try critical thinking and using your problem solving skills. If you have skills in one area, odds are that some of those skills are transferable to another field.
Try solving the problem of being homeless and living in abandoned buildings, if you want a REAL problem to solve. The way some of you are going on and on, I'm willing to bet that at least some of you are gonna have that particular problem to solve before too long. Trust me, its a lot easier to figure out how to start a business than it is to try and make your way back into society after living on the streets.
If your really that lost on how to start a business, try talking to some local businessmen, maybe they have some suggestions or maybe even willing to help someone else get back on their feet. Had one of them actually fund my initial investment in two of my businesses. I made sure they got their money back so that, JUST in case, they might be willing to finance me again.
Wow, three minutes thought and I've already shown more ideas than most of you whiners.

AHHHHHH!!!!!!! I see the problem here for so many. It requires effort and risk. Ok I understand, you can return to your fantasyland now, I will do my best to make sure reality doesn't intrude on you anymore.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 26  27  28    30  31 >>

join