It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But People Don't Want To Work!

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
How many of you remember your grandparents if they have passed. They lived through basically a depression. Women worked in steel plants as husbands were either at war or worked 2-3 jobs themselves. They worked till they retired. Some meaningless jobs but they NEVER complained about the pennies they got paid and NOTHING was beneath them. Now things changed in the US. Either people have to adapt and do the same as our families did before us or imigration will continue and those from other more poverish countries will gladly take on all the mundane meaningless jobs and there will be none left. Ever see the Oprah episode? Single woman w 3 kids refused govt assistance and walked everyday collecting cans and going to auto repair shops asking for scrap metal. Today she owns the largest (or one of) scrap recycling businesses in the US. Nothing was beneath her.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by madforit96
reply to post by ModernAcademia

This is what you get paid in the uk There are different levels of NMW, depending on your age and whether you are an apprentice. The current rates are:

Rates from 1 October 2012

£6.19 - the main rate for workers aged 21 and over
£4.98 - the 18-20 rate
£3.68 - the 16-17 rate for workers above school leaving age but under 18
£2.65 - the apprentice rate, for apprentices under 19 or 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship

The only problem is so many business are closing and companies don't want to give out permanent positions so they tend to offer Temporary or part time work.
I am not saying there is no work out there There is
But ask yourself, if you where an out of work plumber? Would you work for a company who paid you 9.79 dollars and hour and would this pay bills?

Don't forget the people on workfare who end up working for their dole at £64.30 or for under 25's £50.95. That is the sort of wages people are competing against plus the company that employs anyone on work fare also gets paid by the government.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
There are some people that are in really bad situation and have to give up food in order to buy a book,or go to school,but most aren't.Once a read that poverty is a state of mind.I'm 24 and long time ago I realized that I don't want to be employed by anyone else but myself.Is there something that you are really good,or talented at?Something that is your passion and makes you happy?Something you can do all day without getting tired?Then go for it.It might save you.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Plumbers, electricians, landscapers....pretty much all trades require years of training and apprenticeship on ridiculously low wages before one is fully licensed where I come from.

An electrical Apprenticeship cost almost nothing here if you go through Organized Labor. 5 years start to finish. What will you be doing in 5 years if you don't try to advance yourself? The pay is hardly # either. 1st years earn far above minimum wage and by the Second year here you make more than the median income of the state.

Defeatists attitudes, giving up before you even take one step. It's not the 'low' starting pay I see chasing off apprentices here, its the hard work. They get one blister and its game over. People aren't hard like they were even 3 Generations ago. My Grandmother was so poor that she didn't even see money until she was 12 years old. When I would ask her about the Great Depression she would say they didn't notice, they were farmers. She would add that really they were rich when you think about it, people in new york were offing themselves but they always had food to eat.

Modern man has become pretentious in his expectations and unwilling to buckle down and work hard to get something. I've clawed my way out of poverty and a diet of ramen noodles. Along the way I've seen plenty others simply give up because work is hard and the path was longer than they would like. Easier to sit at home, play playstation and draw benefits from the state.
edit on 20-5-2012 by SanguineDenial because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Look if you can pick up a trowel does that make you a bricklayer?
I DO NOT THINK SO I am a qualified bricky and still can't get work in that field and I sure as hell can't walk into a field and just start building a house there is regulations on these things near enough everywhere

To think you can work in a trade without the correct qualifications and experience my friend is delusional and god damn dangerous tell me op if I had an electrical fault or say a gas leak in future should I just let any old Joe deal with it regardless of training?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I read the first 7 pages and had to reply since every time I go to the next page, another appears. I guess this means this thread is pretty active huh?

I look at it this way, and will itemize my opinions on this subject..

1) If everyone could start their own business, then the trade would burst like the housing bubble leaving everyone in poverty.

2) Paraphrasing George Carlin, 'It's a private club and you ain't in it.....Now they are coming for your retirement..."
This means that even if the OP was omnipotent and correct and took everyone who needed help as a start up by the hand and got them going, Those with ultimate power would suppress any competition or new tech that could stop this hierarchy and stripping them of their spoils will not be tolerated.
Examples? Hydrogen Fuel, Plasma Battery, Angel Lab's MYT Engine, Apricot seeds, Hemp, Blood Electrification, Antineoplastons, Dichloroacetic acid Gerson Diet, Stem Cell Breast Reconstruction and other Cancer Treatments, Raw Milk, Homegrown Gardens, Independent Butchers, Farmers, Ranchers, and now even Certain breeds of Hogs are now Feral when it suits the Corporate / State Agenda.
and the list goes on....

3) When a few 'Good Ol' Boys' pat each others back in a circular pattern, Much like OP's argument, they stack the deck of Laws and Complaints against the competition. A perfect example is Modified Seed. It doesn't matter if it kills bees or harms humans or Drives Indian Farmers to suicide because of the claims and sales pitches that got the farmers buying product, just to have failing crops, massive debt to the Corporate GMO seed producers who scheme against small farmers as well for theft when their notorious seed gets into organic farmers fields,

From cradle to grave, you can work your butt off and have nothing to show for it if you are honest or spend much life in prison system for victim-less crimes while the elite take money, gamble it, stab you in the back and lose it all, force bailouts under threat of Martial Law and take every crumb that fell from the plate of every working class human in the world. Soon, they will hang us upside down at illegal road block check points to get every last penny in your pockets.

Then, you get a loan for reeducation every time they destroy an industry so as to keep up with changing times and fields of work, just to repeat the process until your as worthless as a milk cow with dry udders, and spit you out like a piece of gum that had lost it's flavor.

But hey, don't get bummed out. Don't fall into despair. Don't be a quitter, a loser, a worthless eater.
Just get back up, brush yourself off, get back on that horse and show everyone that you still have what it takes to make your self worth advantageous to the next scheme these God-Complex psychos dream up and get busy.

Your only point that to me has any weight is that you can create your own reality and make something of yourself.
Albeit all you have to work with by then is the carcass that the high power thieves left for your sustenance and Small Business start-up and Educational Loan repayment.

In my field, I have created 3 successful companies, and I will forget more than most will ever learn, yet this time around, the date of establishment projection has come and gone. When it seems to fnally take off, it suddenly ebbs as if low tide is on a switch and the circuit is not complete. It has taken 30% longer to get to the goal acheived thrice in the past. This includes more expense, sacrifice, time, effort and creativity just to make what was had without trying in past economies.
Now, when asked how it is going, I have only one answer. "Just livin' the dream."

And yes my field is one that still is in demand for most, but not like when industry was prevalent and jobs were abundant, paid great with benefits, and houses were around 28K for a rambler. Ir even 60K in the 80's, 110K in the 90's or 125 for a split level.

Now, for less pay you have electric bills that exceed reasonable rent.

I am renting now and pay 1900 and about 500 for electric, plus gas, sewer, water, telephone, internet, etc..., yet the cost of living has out-risen wages by 5 fold or more in little over a decade.

Tell me OP, When you are readly to retire and they take your nest egg, are you going to retrain?

No wonder so many single parent homes are sucking the Government tit for all their worth while out of Jail / Prison, but get caught stealing a car or burglering a home and your back in...3 squares and a cot at the grey bar hotel.

But if you steal 300 trillion dollars, you are untouchable. The backasswardness of todays political and market nature will be the fall of the USA and many Nation States i'm sure.
I don't see the benefit to being a part of all this glitter and bling bling that is so cheerily touted by such gung-ho inspirational speaker such as the OP here...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by adnachiel21

...Is there something that you are really good, or talented at?
Something that is your passion and makes you happy?
Something you can do all day without getting tired?
Then go for it.It might save you.

Words of wisdom... truly.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Seems everyone is so discouraged to even try anymore, they need to take a chance. I like where you're going with this and jive with what you're saying.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by intelinside451

I think you're right... does that make us smarter than those who crossed the
vast areas of the States in wagon-trains to get to the West Coast?

We've grown fat and idle in our individual-worlds of poverty.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SanguineDenial

Plumbers, electricians, landscapers....pretty much all trades require years of training and apprenticeship on ridiculously low wages before one is fully licensed where I come from.

An electrical Apprenticeship cost almost nothing here if you go through Organized Labor. 5 years start to finish. What will you be doing in 5 years if you don't try to advance yourself? The pay is hardly # either. 1st years earn far above minimum wage and by the Second year here you make more than the median income of the state.

Defeatists attitudes, giving up before you even take one step. It's not the 'low' starting pay I see chasing off apprentices here, its the hard work. They get one blister and its game over. People aren't hard like they were even 3 Generations ago. My Grandmother was so poor that she didn't even see money until she was 12 years old. When I would ask her about the Great Depression she would say they didn't notice, they were farmers. She would add that really they were rich when you think about it, people in new york were offing themselves but they always had food to eat.

Modern man has become pretentious in his expectations and unwilling to buckle down and work hard to get something. I've clawed my way out of poverty and a diet of ramen noodles. Along the way I've seen plenty others simply give up because work is hard and the path was longer than they would like. Easier to sit at home, play playstation and draw benefits from the state.

The rules for trades and certification differ from country to country and state to state mate. You'll note in the post of mine you quoted I stated "where I come from" at the end?

You are making the same mistake the OP made by assuming everyone on the planet has the same circumstances and ability as yourself.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
One of the main problems with us Americans is nothing is EVER our own damn fault. Its the greedy bankers. Yeah thats it..... uh well when they approved $400k for your house and $60k for your car and another $25k for your wifes car and $35k in student loans did you ever think. Hey what if im unable to worl a significant amount of time??? Sickness, accident, job loss whatever... most no..... most of us CHOSE to be over extended. Time to takw the bull by the horns now.....

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress
reply to post by adnachiel21

...Is there something that you are really good, or talented at?
Then go for it.It might save you.

Words of wisdom... truly.

.Is there something that you are really good, or talented at?
check
check
Check

Um....You might want to hire me...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
OP, I don't know where you get your facts from but you are horribly mistaken in more ways than one.

1) There ARE NO JOBS, not enough for everybody anyway, and if there are jobs the employer is asking for like 5 years of previous experience or a Masters Degree or BOTH. For some, that wouldn't be an issue, but for a large sizeable chunk of the unemployed population it is a really large issue. Most of us can't just drop everything and go back to school...

2) As stated above, there are no jobs. If you're getting your numbers from the Dept of Labor I hope you know that those numbers do not include a very large amount of people who have been jobless for more than 1.5 years and have just given up hope and stopped actively looking for a job. So that 8% or 12% or whatever it's at now is nowhere near the total number of jobless people.

If finding a job is so easy then why don't we trade lives? I mean if it's so easy then you should be able to find a job for me in a few hours, or at most a day right?

edit on 5/20/2012 by ArrowsNV because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
It's true that it isn't easy finding a job or starting up your own business, but these are the type of things a person needs to think ahead for. When we immigrated to this country, my father's degrees and years of experience became meaningless in the American job market. He was a valuable engineer and innovator in his home country, but when he came here nobody would hire him without an American diploma. The fact that he spoke only basic English at first didn't help much either. After a couple of months of looking and looking he finally gave up and decided to learn a new trade. He apprenticed, worked for minimum wage and eventually learned the craft so well that he is now one of the very best out there. He just has a knack for taking on any task and excelling at it. After a couple of years of working for pennies on the dollar, trying to feed a family of four and taking English classes in the evenings, he started his own business. Through hard work he built it up into a six figure income.

While I agree with many of you here that you can't just go out and bid on gardening jobs when you have no clue how to garden, it is your personal responsibility to be prepared for hard times and to have a plan B. If you don't have a plan B, you need to think of one and figure out what you're good at. It's not an immediate solution, but it will get better as time goes by. People on unemployment especially have (or at least had) two years to figure things out and get some training. If a guy with a family of four who speaks no English can do it, all you natural-born citizens with your language skills and knowledge about the rules and regulations of this country should have slightly less trouble getting back on your feet. I know more immigrants with a similar story to my father's who came here with nothing, yet persevered because they knew they had to.

P.S. Here's one more reason why it's tougher to find jobs or starting your own business. It shouldn't be an excuse because we know these idiotic regulations are out there and we should plan ahead, but it is a hurdle to be overcome nonetheless:

edit on 20-5-2012 by 2manyquestions because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:00 AM
link   
I completly agree wih theme title.
Issue is
or people does not want to work
or people is not competent in market. Simply to say old generation is uneducated and there is new oportunities for new generation.
Or people have oportunities a lot of them, but jus afew have a job, and other dont. Just because others are not relevant, and few of them who working are doing just fine.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I got a wetback job. Gonna change to another wetback job in July.

Easy.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
How easy is it to get a plumber to your house same day and sometimes same week?
How often does a plumber call you back even?
And how much does it cost?

This market is thirsty for more plumbers
More plumbers is more competition which will be better prices for you as well

What about an electrician?
Are they easy to get at your home same day?

And even more importantly landscapers
You call a landscaper sure they may come same day, but when will they start the project?
Sometimes months or weeks ahead
Sometimes they give you a quote and never call you back
Sometimes they come to do an estimation and they never send you the quote unless they do it onsite

Many of these guys are either irresponsible or they have so many contracts to work on that they don't care
And that's from the horse's mouth

There are plenty of jobs out there
But when people think of jobs they only think about the help wanted ads or monster.com
They never think of starting their own business and THAT is the problem

They wait for a job to come to them instead of them themselves going towards a new business initiative

Come on people!

I realize that this is not universal truth, some areas in ghettos have very little buyers for landscaping and also may live in appartments where the landloard takes care of it.

But in the city and suburbs there's loads of jobs
And if you live in a ghetto maybe you can drive outside of town for such a job and then move out

However let's not say there's no jobs out there
That's just not true

I'm not saying it's easy out there, but you don't jump to "There's No Jobs!!!"

There are loads of low paying can't get by type of jobs. I don't fault people for not wanting to be enslaved for peanuts. The corporations are raking in billions and paying their employees 10-12$ hr. It's gross tbh.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

What's a licensed landscaper?

Plumber or electrician sure
But work your way through it, think long term not just how will you eat today, that's irresponsible and forcing the state to cut for your slack

And as far as low wages again you are doing the same mistake I spoke about
You are waiting for a job rather than going towards it

When did I say work for a landscaping company?
Create YOUR OWN!

80% of small businesses failed within 6 months during the 1990s; the best period in recent history for having a real shot at small business survival. That % is well over 90% now, since the game board got tilted in the nationals' favor. Hell, even the landscaping companies are franchises now.

You kids that are all jacked up on Ann Ryand and cartoon characters on Fox Business News need to get out of your marketing cubicles and take a walk down a real street someday. These kinds of threads make you really look like you're not even trying to bullsh*t us anymore.
edit on 5/20/2012 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Lol, I would say hand to mouth living, while barely scraping by, has taken its toll on a lot of peoples ability to think or plan long term. You make it sound like the only reason people are poor are that they are lazy, in case you haven't noticed, the only people doing any work at all, are the ones not making any money. Laborers, assemblers,lift drivers....etc. they are all Mcdonalds jobs, they pay nothing for your sweat, and the office people stand around talking all day and playing the computer, doing nothing in the way of productivity for the company for the most part. Yet they make more on average, more than 2 to 3 of the people actually producing. The only way to make a change is to stop lining the pockets of the guys in the office with your sweat, you have to work for yourself, or you will probably never have anything.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

And this is exactly the problem. You and those in agreement with you seem to think that the world should conform to your wishes, and simply present you with the job you want, just because you want it. Problem is, the world doesn't work that way. The world doesn't conform to you. YOU must conform to the WORLD.

Now, fleabit, I am not trying to pick on you, or call you out specifically. I am using your post as an example of the other side of the argument, which you are definitely not alone over on that side, you just simply phrased it nicely and that is why I am quoting you. I do mean to respectfully disagree, and show the opposite side, not be nit-picky and rude.

Let me get this straight - you feel I should take ANY job that I can. No matter what it is, no matter what the benefits are, and spend as little time on unemployment as possible, right? Just making sure that is the ludicrous position you are taking.

I started work when I was 14 - paper routes. Restaurants washing dishes, waiting tables and cooking at 15. Joined the Army at 17. I've never been out of work for longer than 2 weeks my entire life. My last job, I worked there for 14 years until I was RIF'd as part of a 20% IT cut. I have around 25 years experience in my field. And YOU feel I am trying to force the world to "conform" to ME, by trying to get another job in the same field? There isn't a LOL big enough to express how I feel about your opinion.

Let's see: minimum wage (or close to it) means medical benefits are terrible. The medical costs for my wife alone would mean we would probably be close to living in a cardboard box and eating cat food out of a can. You probably think that's "ok" because I "failed" and lost my job, right? Like I said.. the way some of you look down your noses at others makes me sick. Unemployment is there FOR A REASON. It takes on average 8 MONTHS for a professional to find an equitable job once they are laid off. As a COUNTRY, we FAIL if we take skilled workers, and put them in unskilled jobs. You don't even see the bigger picture. How as a country, we get stronger if we have skilled people doing what they are good at. Not taking them and putting them in horrible jobs after 20 years. What a laugh.

I was paying over well over 500 bucks every two weeks in Federal and State taxes alone. 12,000 a year times 14 years is over 168,000 bucks in TAXES. Even if I got I dunno.. 68 of that back (I know I didn't however), 100,000k in just two taxes.. and you don't feel I have the RIGHT to collect unemployment for a period of time?

My "max" benefits is 13k. I can't even collect for 3 months, due to severance and vacation pay (cause I could never take a vacation) - IRS however, taxed them NOT as wages. The government bodies will screw you over every chance they get! And you want to give them a break? Why?

We are 37th! in world health care. So very sad a statistic for a country who spends exponentially more for "defense" than the next 20 countries COMBINED. How about this:

America: the least generous unemployment system in the world

America.. dead LAST in long term unemployment. You are just brain washed by the "omg just work hard work work work!" zombies who actually think America has a great system or something. It doesn't. You are deluded. I'll NEVER feel guilty about collecting the pittance of unemployment while I look for work. I've worked my butt off to subsidize my countries desire to have the fanciest war toys, and I'll be damned if I am going to feel bad for wanting a tiny smidgen of support when I need it.

Make no mistake - I am looking for a job. I've not collected a dime of unemployment yet, thanks to my State and the IRS differing on what constitutes "wages." I just had a phone interview on Friday - in person interviews two other times. But I'll be damned if I am going to accept sub-par benefits which are ALREADY CRAPPY, and pay I was making 15 YEARS ago, because some of you "better than thou because I have a job" people think I am a "burden" on you. You know who is a burden on you? Your wonderful government is. Your politicians are. Wake up.

It's funny how you act like the 500 bucks I'll make will somehow pay for everything we need. Believe me.. I am trying to find a job as fast as I can. I can't live without the ridiculous health care America offers. I can't even afford to be kicked out of where I live, for breaking lease. You live in a fantasy world - I live in reality. Don't push your pathetic "just roll up those sleeves and start digging ditches, you'll feel great about it!" agenda on me. I'm a professional, and I will do what I am good at, even if it takes me another 3 months to do it. My current "full time job" is FINDING a job.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join