It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But People Don't Want To Work!

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tazkven
reply to post by cetaphobic

An apprenticeship in most all skilled trades is in fact free. Plus, as an apprentice you make a percentage of what full scale journeyman does. Is usually around 50% to start and depending on the area most skilled trades are making around 23 to 30 dollars an hour ...

I can't see how this is a bad deal other than its labor in sometimes uncomfortable environments but that's why its called work, lol

Must be nice. Apprenticeship here (journeyman), is two years long before you get your red seal. And you get paid around minimum wage (sometimes even less), for those two years before you can get the seal.

I want to go back to school and be an electrician, the course is a year long. But i cannot afford to because a) i do not need any more debt 2) i cannot afford to live on minimum wage for two years. Won't happen. After you get the seal you can start working for 20 - 60 dollars an hour depending on the trade.. But most people cannot afford rent on min wage, not to mention the food requirements one needs.
edit on 20/5/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Most apprenticeship programs I know of are atleast 4 year programs and its a requirement to also work while you go train, is called on the job training. Most all contractors love working apprentices because, like I said they only make a percentage of journeyman scale and the contractors bid the jobs man power as journeyman only. So the apprentices on the job are making the contractor more money.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

The same jobs in most cases are not there. Unless people are willing to take a pay cut and change professions they probably are still going to be unemployed. Most people where I work were all doing higher paying jobs somewhere else before the economy tanked. The sad fact is the big wigs are incompetent and keeping everyone's pay low. By greed or plain bad business sense. The only stable jobs are ones that sell to the government for military type things or health care.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

After getting my Millwrights journeyman certificate from an apprenticeship, I got on at GE's appliance park here in Louisville where they are bringing products back from China and Mexico to be built here. This year alone they have taken in 16,000 applications for entry level production jobs and every few months hire more maintenance to cover these new lines ...

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I believe you are mistaken 'jobs' for 'opportunities'. Huge difference. Starting a business to create compeition is an opportunity. Becoming a fry cook is pretty much the only job(s) available.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
My guess is that the OP is between 12 and 17. Clearly he's convinced himself of his greaamiss. Oh great master, tell me why the grass is green?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I take it you'll be voting Republican in the next presidential election?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

how ignorant of you. Im sure the op is much older. You took this thread at face value, and never considered the op's other great threads before making your judgment of age. The op is pretty intelligent, and is probably much more mature than you are.. What are you.. 18? People do anything to make them selves feel better than others.. Grow up.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Jersey Devil

I'm in school right now and plan to go to graduate school. But yeah, I'm just not going to work fast food. I did that when I was younger and I just refuse to go back there now. I don't take any welfare benefits, but if my finances start getting more difficult I may apply. The rich bankers got their bail outs, so now it's my turn.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchildren

Actually the OP is 100%in accurate. There are LOADS of jobs out there thats why people still imigrate here because its better than any other place. There just are no "careers" here
Dont confuse the two.....

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
I believe you are mistaken 'jobs' for 'opportunities'. Huge difference. Starting a business to create compeition is an opportunity. Becoming a fry cook is pretty much the only job(s) available.

I agree there are jobs out there if you don't mind doing the "maintenance" of the capitalist fat cats.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Not at all. Have you worked in a call center before? Especially an inbound call center probable for americans as well? Its like walking into a prison where you get screamed at and made to feel like garbage. Lots of people have issues with people screaming at them on the phone, im not surprised.

Ohhhh yeeeeaahhhh. That's another one I'll never work again. Go in every day, sit on the phone and listen to half crazed people scream, cry, beg, freak out on you because their cable got shut off. People go completely insane when they lose their TV. I had one woman tell me that Jesus was taking me to hell because I would not turn her cable back on when her bill was two months past due and she had a ton of pay per view charges.

I have been screamed at, called every name in the book, and you can't do anything, cause if you do you lose your job.

I'd rather pick up dog crap than work a call center job.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jersey Devil
reply to post by Starchildren

Actually the OP is 100%in accurate. There are LOADS of jobs out there thats why people still imigrate here because its better than any other place. There just are no "careers" here
Dont confuse the two.....

I've had my share of jobs that are not careers. I'd rather live on welfare than slave away at a Mc Donalds in my 40's, or become a greeter at Walmart's doors when I'm 60. I guess that sounds horrible but that is not for me and I'm done with it. I see soooo many people in their 40's and 50's working at fast food up here. My heart goes out to them because they look really miserable.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
reply to post by Epirus

how ignorant of you. Im sure the op is much older. You took this thread at face value, and never considered the op's other great threads before making your judgment of age. The op is pretty intelligent, and is probably much more mature than you are.. What are you.. 18? People do anything to make them selves feel better than others.. Grow up.

Lol I'm responding to his narrow view on this topic. I'm not responding to the aggregate of his topics. I'm 37 btw. Thanks for the morning chuckle, goes well with my coffee. Are you the OP on an alt?
edit on 20-5-2012 by Epirus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I totally agree their is plenty of work out their but in this country (England) that's not the problem the problem is education and willingness it's actually quite hard to get education in a trade these days you have to have the silly pieces of paper to say I'm qualified and then that doesn't mean much.

Also in this country a lot of the unemployed do have such skills but nobody will touch them as they lack any experience and most of them will not get off the butt's and get experience via work trials or voluntary, all the damned red tape in this land does not help either

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Just another say from me. I have a number of friends who have trades and things have had to change for them.
One is a joiner and he left his trade and joined his wife working in the Hospital as a cleaner.
Second friend worked for an insurance company for 12 years and due to cutbacks, he now works in administration at a hospital
Third friend worked as mortgage broker for 15 years. He now works for a debt collecting company.
Forth friend drove a taxi that didn't pay enough so he tried DIY repairs and that failed and now hes back on Government handouts
It is just a shame when you look back at this first post and this person mentioned that there were jobs,and people just don't want them.
These people have spent years getting that trade and for what ? To end up cleaning hospital floors
How do you think it makes that person feel?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The Proletariat is wising up to the bourgeois plan, to continue to rip them off, throw them out of high paying wage slavery to end up in this orchestrated "shovel ready" low paying wage slavery. This is class warfare and if your reading this, your probably in the same class- worker/proletariat, the 99%, so don't buy the B.S., hey don't BUY anything...boycott these bastards, don't cooperate, be peacefully non-compliant and throw a monkey wrench in thier little plan for the complete enslavement of humanity. -PEACE.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I don't want to go through the whole thread to see if he/she posted here....
My sentiments are exactly what is in his/her so I need not say much more...there is not reason to...it is all said here..
I am not sure how to quote another from another thread in the typical ATS fashion...so I will do it my way....but the credit goes to the user name above this quoted text....

SanguineDenial:

"There is an unemployment problem yes. But where is the problem? Not enough jobs? I don't see it here. All the people I know bitching about no work spend their free time smoking blunts and partying. If they get $40 for an odd job they spend $35 on dope, $5 on cheeseburgers and then bitch the next day about being hungry.

Tons of people can't get work for the simple fact that they are not worth hiring. When they go to an interview they dress like scumbags. If the do get the damn job they show up late and drag ass all day.

I worked with some young men last summer that were 'sponsored' through the boy scouts in a program that tried to give opportunities to underprivileged youths. One of the two was good as gold, he was interested in learning the work and worked hard. The other one wasn't worth killing. He wandered around aimlessly, ignored directions and at one point we found him asleep on the job 4 times in 1 day. To top it off he managed to spend a few days in jail (missing time on the job) because he got arrested buying crack coc aine after work one day. Despite all of this they still cut him slack.

We had another kid who wasn't sponsored, early 20s who showed up 15-30 minutes late 4 days a week for 3 months. The old man cut him tremendous slack but eventually he got fired because somebody out there could give a # and have his job. These jobs start off paying 50% above minimum wage with no experience but despite that half the new help we get can't be bothered to give a damn.

There is plenty of work, the problem is there aren't enough folks with the drive to do it. They want air conditioning and a computer terminal, tell them to carry something heavy or dig a ditch and they shut down.

Now if none of this applies to you, its time to scratch up some change for a bus ticket and get the hell out of Detroit."

If SanguineDenial has posted this or anything else here...I apologize...or if he/she didn't want it shared I apologize as well.....I shared it on fb for others and many agreed....(and yeah I use fb because I don't care to be tracked or though of as a "terrorist" or whatever for what I speak..I speak my mind and yata yata......see my previous posts here for reference to that if anyone cares to...

Anyways....again, just wanted to share that....excuse the wordy "commentary"....too much coffee before 9 am I suppose

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Many people also say go self employed as a tradesman but that is not always easy as no one wants to pay for work done or pay up front and you have all the hassel of trying to get your money off people.

Also as the recession bites more people would rather do their own than pay some one to do repairs for them.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Experienced programmer - analyst / web developer. Will work for $15/hr or 30% per hour less then what Accenture and other out source providers charge. Unable to relocate to India.

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join