It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There Are LOADS Of Jobs Out There, But People Don't Want To Work!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by DrEugeneFixer

Ah! I should read the propaganda you read so I can better understand my own naivete in negotiating contracts as an individual instead of agreeing to belong to a suppressive collective? If only I had read enough, then I would know how naive I am now about the power of the individual and their right to contract on their own terms.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Never meant to dig that far in.

For me, it's frightening to think that with just the right amount of finesse, I can save money and have that future I've always wanted.

But I have no regrets. Only 30 and I feel I've done it all. The only thing left to do is settle down.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

You are an idiot that obviously has not looked for work in a while.I started my own business 16 years ago and I have been digging ditches and laying sod for minimum wage out of a temporary service lately,you know,the jobs Americans supposedly won't do.Before I started this business I had my own lawn business right when the illegal aliens came and turned a $25 lawn into a $15 if you're lucky lawn.That was in 94'.I hear there are jobs in Pennsylvania,but I do not know anyone there.If I had money,yeah I could get a job.All it takes is some ungodly expensive class and someone to pay all your bills while you take them.By the way,most States will not hire Americans if they are restaurant,warehouse,factory,landscape,or construction,so even if you had the thousands of dollars it takes to get the insurance up(never mind equipment and payroll),you would have to hire illegal aliens to make your bids competitive.The way they do it in Florida is they will pay 20 guys from Guatemala $4.50 an hour,but run them through a leasing company that takes care of the insurance and looks the other way.The boss cooks the books and collects the extra hours labor while paying a lot less.The bigger your army the better contracts you land,and the nicer equipment you can buy off their backs.The really big guys bring them in and give them crappy trailers on their property.I could have done this 20 years ago,but I am not a scumbag.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

This is a lie and you are full of sh** I have MANY fiends, and know MANY people, DYING to work ... hungry for work ... and they can find nothing. Why do you think 3k ppl are showing up for 20 jobs???

Take your lying, blithering, TeaBag self back under the rock from whence you came.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   

A lot of those folks who don't have jobs, can't afford to go to school to become a tradesperson. I work in a warehouse, support my family, have rent, food for 3, two cars, two insurance payments, gas and repairs for two vehi cles, medical and dental for 3, I can't afford to go to tradeschool. If I do, I can't work full time and be the family man, if I can't work full time how can I go to school? I've tried to get student loans, but because of my two vehicles, home and family I don't qualify for full loans, as well I have to pay what they would give me in 2-5 years. If I get a plumbing, mechanical, or electricians apprectice position for minimum wage or a little more that I have to do for two years I will need a second job to pay for my responsibilities and the loan. I can't fathom taking a wage cut, and a loan I may not be able to pay back, nor can I understand how I'm going to do it. So I can understand those that can't get a trades job, other than that you have warehouses, retail, restaurants/fast food, and plenty of cashier jobs to choose from. all at minimum wage to start. You and every other guy with out a job. It's not that easy. Those who have decent paying steady jobs just can't seem to grasp this problem, and those who don't have schooling are actually less likely to get these #ty jobs. We aren't far from the days you will have to go to college to flip burgers.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux
If only I had read enough, then I would know how naive I am now about the power of the individual....

Probably so. You may be falling victim to the fundamental attribution error: "the tendency to over-value dispositional or personality-based explanations for the observed behaviors of others while under-valuing situational explanations for those behaviors." Again, I recommend the works of Mr. Nassim Taleb.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by getreadyalready

Glad to hear you have been so fortunate. Not all of us have had that luck. Some of us were born and raised without health and dental insurance.

I guess everything is relative, huh?

I suppose I was lucky to have a mother and father that loved me and stayed together. I am blessed with some intelligence and I was raised with a work ethic. I never had health insurance until I was 25 years old, but I brushed my teeth twice a day. I never had stitches, buy my Mom was a champ with tape and iodine.

Was I fortunate when I blew myself up a few months after getting married and got full thickness burns over 25% of my body? Spent 2 weeks in a sterile burn unit? Was told I would never walk correctly again and would be off work for 2 years or more? I suppose I was fortunate. I had just started a new job, I had health insurance for the first time in my life, and I had a young bride that stayed by my side. I coached my supposed "therapists" about how they could help me, instead of me following their prognoses. I went home and started stretching and exercising. I told my surgeons where I had unusual pains, and I told them where to X-ray, and they eventually got all 40,000 staples out of my body. I faked a Doctor's release and went back to work after 6 weeks, and I ripped my delicate skin multiple times, but I worked anyway. I started doing deep squats, and stretching, and lifting weights after only a few weeks, and I tailored my own pressure garments to make them fit my lifestyle instead of just trusting what they mailed me. Long story short, I made a full-recovery despite the substandard care.

Was I fortunate when my second son was born 12 weeks early? Spent 3 months languishing in a hospital with low oxygen levels, not responding to medicines, and not able to be tranferred to better facilities? I suppose I was, because I had a loving and trusting wife and the fortitude instilled by my parents, and I stood up to the "experts" and I stood up to the security and police, and I literally forced the transfer of my son by putting my hands on a doctor and getting the orders faxed while the police where en route. I got him the surgery they said couldn't be done, and he recovered...... temporarily.

Maybe I was fortunate when he developed Infantile Spasms just a few months later? They said he would live several years, die before he reached school, and never learn to walk or talk, but once again, I was fortunate. I was fortunate to have Google, and have a car, and have a strong wife that got the boy a health advocate, and we took him away from the only pediatrician neurologist in our town, and we got him the help he needed in another town, and we made the 3 hour drive every Monday, and we did the therapies, and we held him in a gruesome headlock while they did spinal taps and took fluids and bloods from his fragile 5lb body time and time again while he thrashed and wailed. We did the exercises, we made the sacrifices, we found the hormones and medicines, we took the risks, and we were fortunate that he made a full recovery and will start kindergarten next year and he played t-ball this morning!

I was probably just fortunate both times that I filed bankruptcy. I know how fortunate I felt when my first business failed at age 20. A robbery on a Sunday evening took all the cash I had on hand, and a significant amount of inventory. Monday morning my insurance agent informed me we weren't covered for any cash loss, and a few minutes later the oil company said without $6k deposited that day they would cut off my gas pumps and take back the station. That was a good day. I suppose I was fortunate to have a good buddy to drink with and drag me out of the bar fight that I started when I was feeling pretty self-destructive.

Maybe it was the second bankruptcy? That was my fortunate hour? After all the trouble with my baby, he was finally making a recovery, but the time off work, travel, and extra stress caused me to get fired from my job? No worries, I had a tool belt and I was fortunate enough to have a buddy that needed a privacy fence built. Turns out his neighbor needed one too, and they had an aunt that needed a deck, and our construction company was born. Too bad that buddy got cancer a few years later and is still fighting it now! I am fortunate though, because I endured, and my buddy got back from California this morning and he spent this afternoon on my deck, by my pool, and he is back up to about 190 lbs, and he is in partial remission for the moment.

I am truly blessed. I mean that. But you'll never understand. Some people are victims, some survivors.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrEugeneFixer

If only I had read enough, then I would know how naive I am now about the power of the individual....

Probably so. You may be falling victim to the fundamental attribution error: "the tendency to over-value dispositional or personality-based explanations for the observed behaviors of others while under-valuing situational explanations for those behaviors." Again, I recommend the works of Mr. Nassim Taleb.

Or, I may simply be able to understand my own value in relationship to market forces and based upon that negotiate the contract I want. Your recommendations are nothing more than deflections. I asked you a point blank question. Why do labor unions have such a problem with individuals negotiating their own contract?

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

So we have one thread on the main page that says no jobs anywhere, and we have another on the main page that says loads of jobs everywhere....

I confused

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Lets recap. I commented,

[W]e make more money from patents (which are highly specialized) than we typically do writing custom software solutions for small businesses. You don't have to risk the barn to sell eggs.

You replied:

Entrepreneurs - producers - do not "risk the barn to sell eggs", they risk the barn so they don't have to spend a lifetime selling eggs. Employees have a hard time understanding this, regardless of how well they are paid and how much property they own.

And now you're saying,

.. pretending I am arguing that people must "go all in" in order to be producers is not one of those solid argument.

I see moving goal posts. I'm sure your counter argument consists of this bit of beautiful hedging,

Risking the barn is not "going all in". People who have barns, have far more than that.

I'm not sure redefining an idiom that has a hundred years behind it is a strong way to backpedal. So basically your original position was:

"Employees aren't producers because they don't take big risks."

This has now changed to I'm not sure what. Perhaps ...

"Producers sometimes take risks and employees never take risks?"

Do you know where you're going with this? My point still stands. A smart employee is one who diversifies and has holdings outside his primary mode of income. As poet1b aptly pointed out, "everyone who has a valuable skill to sell is an entrepreneur." To which you seem to agree.

So what is it exactly we were disagreeing about in the first place Mr. Jean Paul Zodeaux? Oh that's right ... the delivery.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

I asked you a point blank question. Why do labor unions have such a problem with individuals negotiating their own contract?

And I provided you with a clear concise answer to that very question.

Collective bargaining demands, as part of the bargain, that individuals cannot negotiate their own contract on their own terms. What do labor unions have against individual bargaining?

Most likely they find that it is ineffective and counterproductive, overall... no mystery there... Individual bargaining pits one worker against his neighbor and is contrary to the cooperation implied in the union movement.

I'd like to add that your question was your way of dodging my original question.

What have you got against collective bargaining?

Which you never answered at all. Now, since I already answered your question, how about you answer mine, which, after all, I asked first.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I said this somewhere but the OP is either very young or clearly did not remember the 1990s when they really were tons of jobs out there. i could get a job in a day and I did not even have a degree or experience. The OP needs a time machine to know his statement is false.
We have had many jobs outsourced, illegal aliens working them or the tons of scam jobs out there. I have an employment magazine that has only 2 legitimate jobs one for nursing and the other for truck driving. The rest are either ads for college or scam jobs.
Even a job search on career builder or monster comes up with scam jobs or college/miltary ads. 70% of the jobs are very specfic and if you don't have those skills you are out of luck.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The problem over here people left school early to become those trades when the economy was good but now since the economy is gone side ways then can't find another job due to the fact they left school without proper qualifications to get into college so they have to move country.
As other members said those trades don't come over night.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Or, I may simply be able to understand my own value in relationship to market forces and based upon that negotiate the contract I want

Or you could falsely believe that about yourself, because you evaluate only the events that happen to you, even though much of these are decided by mere chance. Reading nobel prizewinner Daniel Kahneman's recent work, Thinking: fast and slow will make you aware of many of our cognitive frailties, since you seem to have objections to bestselling works by Nassim Taleb.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroSumWinner

Taking your analogy of risking a barn is not moving goal posts. A barn is a structure on a farm. A farm is property. On that farm there is also, presumably, a house, unless you were imagining that the chicken farmer lived in the barn with the chickens. You can call this "redefining an idiom" all you want. Producers do not live their lives idiomatically, they understand life better than that. Now, not every Tom, Dick and Harry understands this, but then again, producers are not every Tom, Dick and Harry. While every Tom, Dick and Harry gripes about paying through the nose, producers tend to pay market prices and will negotiate the best deal, instead of living idiomatically.

Nope. It isn't I moving goal posts, just as it wasn't I who was relying on subterfuge "to get to the bottom of an argument". Nor do I so heavily rely upon strawman arguments that I make up sentences and put quotation marks around them to make it appear as if I am quoting my opponent. These are your techniques. It is reasonable to suggest that if you had a solid argument to make you would make instead of playing these silly games.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
I said this somewhere but the OP is either very young or clearly did not remember the 1990s when they really were tons of jobs out there.

I think that the OP is actually kind of old, and probably retired and grumpy. In some posts in the thread, he claims (probably BS) that he sold database software to local video stores. It's been a long ass time since that was a viable business plan. Locally owned video stores are few and far between, and the time when they didn't have software to keep track of their inventory is long past. Not to mention that he probably didn't start his business in the worst economy since the great depression, since that time never existed until now.

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

You know not everybody has the skill in their hands to work at a trade.Some people are all thumbs.In my last job I had to do a little bit of every trade.I am a really good painter,carpenter but I am crap at leveling floors and laying certain tiles( dont know why I just am) which kind of ties in with me being crap at mudding(covering the joints of sheets of dry wall.I can hang drywall but no where as good/fast as someone that does it as a trade.
The point I am making you my be good at computers but I bet you are crap at doing something.I have looked at books of c ++ and just cant see me learning it.If you have been doing an office job for years and are all thumbs and not in shape and on the wrong side of 40 or 50 and lose the job what do they do training in. You have limited options.You are going to try and find a job in something similar to your last job.You can't move because you can't sell your house.Also there are loads of people in the same situation.If you take a low paying job like working at McDonald's there goes your house and you and your family goes with out anyway. If you have to keep paying the bills and if you pick some course and find out you can't do it that is a waste of money and time and you are back at square one or less.......everyone's situation is different and the area they live in my be harder hit economically so it not fair to compare your situation with others so show some empathy fellow man

link   

Originally posted by LilDudeissocool
reply to post by LastProphet527

Why isn’t this thread in the joke section?

Because RNC and Fox News disinformation talking points are taken seriously in some venues where reality doesn't matter.
edit on 19-5-2012 by LilDudeissocool because: (no reason given)

The government-programmed system is designed, for the populace to believe that it's a job for every able body American to obtain, and live as not of a 'drug addition' fix in life.

Sure, it is a job for every American, that is if you want to have 2 to 4 kids living on an income of 23,000 or less working under what your education level is suppose to provide. As you thought.

In all do respect to life and America…some where in time they forgot that rent various in the lowest common dominator of what…1,000 for a one or 2 bedroom, not including water, gas ,food, transportation, common need’s just to survive until the next' fix 'of none **free will**** like the worker ant!.

They forgot about the 99% and the evolved matrix of time, money, and the whole survival ratio of just trying to make it with the thought process of just looking out for the 1% that inherits votes and oil, and underhanded business decisions… as if the 1% can run the economy by them selves…and that’s the funny thing!

You cannot imagine how may college grades that did 4 years of college who are now working minus wage jobs, you cannot imagine the REAL significant on how 10 million jobs have been lost and the effect it had on those 10 million people.

You cannot imagine, and God can’t even imagine how people with power that say f(*& the middle class and poor people, who are cursed with sin of gluttony, greed envy and pure hatred of one another on this earth.

One day the 99% will see that the government looks at them the same way as the king looked out the window-seeing peasants with pitchforks and shovels’ groveling and picketing at the castle doors /

Lp527
The humans and, scientist, and urban language will give you a scenario of life and say. *Time repeats it self* but the truth is. **Time never goes anywhere** time has never repeated it self ***where just repeating time***
edit on 20-5-2012 by LastProphet527 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by dreamseeker

When my father was a teenager (1967), you could do this and do that on what appeared to be pennies.

However, they also MADE pennies back then.

You could go from high school directly to General Electric as my father did.

You can't do that today can you?

And IBM? If you can't get your stupid clean suit on fast enough, DISQUALIFIED!

We are working ourselves into peasantry and nothing more!

posted on May, 20 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dreamseeker
I said this somewhere but the OP is either very young or clearly did not remember the 1990s when they really were tons of jobs out there. i could get a job in a day and I did not even have a degree or experience. The OP needs a time machine to know his statement is false.

My local paper has 3 pages of help wanted ads, and they are local, not scams, and this is a college town. Things aren't that different from the 90's, but the people are different.

We have had many jobs outsourced, illegal aliens working them or the tons of scam jobs out there.

Illegal aliens are picking fruit, killing turkeys, and laying concrete. Those industries are begging for employees, and if you showed up, they would hire you today. The Secretary of Department of Agriculture for the state of Georgia was speaking here just about a month ago. The crackdown on immigration will cost the state millions of dollars in lost revenue, because the farmers cannot get the crops out of the fields. They cannot find enough laborers. They are BEGGING for laborers. The Agriculture guy ended his speech in this manner, and I will quote it! He said, "And if any of you want to work, please come out....... but you have to be willing to work." And with that he gave a half-grin. None of the college students in the audience wanted to pick fruits or vegetables 10 hours per day. They would rather collect unemployment and food stamps, so the food will rot in the fields.

I have an employment magazine that has only 2 legitimate jobs one for nursing and the other for truck driving. The rest are either ads for college or scam jobs.
Even a job search on career builder or monster comes up with scam jobs or college/miltary ads. 70% of the jobs are very specfic and if you don't have those skills you are out of luck.

Yes, those are all scams. Jobs are not in employment magazines. They are on signs in windows, in local papers, and in conversations among people already at work. You have to get out there and get in the mix to know where the jobs are. I said it earlier, but take a job at a McDonald's drive thru! You'll be able to network, you'll get paid a little, and you'll also have the opportunity to move up if nothing better comes along. It is a GREAT way to get back in the workforce. Put down the scam magazines.

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join