It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ammendment To NDAA to stop Detention of US citizens goes down in flames

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Rep. Adam Smith (D-Wash.) and Rep. Justin Amash (R-Mich.) sponsored an amendment to amend the NDAA to stop the indefinite detention of US citizens on Thursday. Here's the kicker, it was supported by 163 Democrats, but only 19 Republicans. What the hell is that? It was voted down 238-182 in the house. Yes folks, the majority of your Congressmen and mostly Republicans, officially support the notion that the US military can hold US citizens with no due process, blatantly violating the 5th amendment. This is actually big news IMO. It confirms everyone's suspicions about the provisions within the NDAA because Congress just had the opportunity to remove them, AND THEY DID NOT.

An amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) that whould nullify its indefinite detention provision has gone up in flames, overrided by a House majority 238-182.

Source

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Drew99GT

Of course Republicans support it! You got a whole bunch of Santorums representing conservative idealism

Pretty lame if you ask me. I am surprised as many people voted it down as they did honestly...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

vote down the congress and anyone on that bill

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well, I dunno about anybody else, but this already tense NATO summit is gearing up quit quickly. I wonder what will truly come of this.

Domestic terrorism is the reason for the right to bear arms. When the government is no longer the peoples, the people take it back. But what can be done now?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Republicans and Democrats are two sides to the same coin. There is no difference, both are big government in your face con artists that will feed you a line of sh*t to get ellected and then do what ever the money tells them to. Why are you surprised?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by rcanem
Republicans and Democrats are two sides to the same coin. There is no difference, both are big government in your face con artists that will feed you a line of sh*t to get ellected and then do what ever the money tells them to. Why are you surprised?

Not on this issue. Of course, the Dems could have strategically allotted votes in favor of this amendment knowing full well it would get shot down, just for political purposes. Believe me, I don't trust ANYONE in Congress any further than I could throw them.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
More proof the Democrats are for Liberty and the Republicans are for Tyranny

Shame on the Tea Party People and Republicans for supporting Tyranny.

Reminder--the House is run by the Tea Party

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDetective
More proof the Democrats are for Liberty

You need to look deeper into the democrats voting history if you think this is true.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
So despite everyone's reassurance that the NDAA does not affect american citizens, I guess this proves they are wrong.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
On May 16, a federal judge struck down the portion that would allow for "indefinite detention":

MANHATTAN (CN) - A federal judge granted a preliminary injunction late Wednesday to block provisions of the 2012 National Defense Authorization Act that would allow the military to indefinitely detain anyone it accuses of knowingly or unknowingly supporting terrorism."
While the U.S. Attorney's office declined comment on the ruling, Mayer urged the Obama administration to "drop it," and forego an appeal.
They have to come to terms with the fact that it's wholly unconstitutional," Mayer said."

www.courthousenews.com...

edit on 18-5-2012 by earth2mayavision because: clarify

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I don't want to derail the thread, but it is worth mentioning that a Federal Judge has greatly affected the NDAA by ruling that the detention aspects are unconstitutional:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Of course it was shot down. That's what the NDAA is for - to detain US citizens in FEMA camps. It's the next goose-step toward totalitarianism. We've been discussing it for years and we're still wondering what is going on? Really?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This is a good thing.

Now, when it comes time to pay the reaper, we will all know EXACTLY which ones to prosecute first.
The day of reckoning is fast approaching my friends.
EVERY SINGLE ONE of those who voted this down are now officially traitors to the Constitution and
should be considered enemies of the state.

When in battle or a street fight, the very FIRST and most important piece of information that is needed is

THAT you are in a fight.
We, in this country, have only recently discovered this.

the second is....
WHO is your enemy or put another way, WHO are you in a fight with?

We now know the answer to THIS question as well.

This is a very VERY important step in the right direction.
You can't fight if you don't even know you are in a fight and don't even know who you are fighting.
edit on 18-5-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
When in battle or a street fight, the very FIRST and most important piece of information that is needed is

THAT you are in a fight.
We, in this country, have only recently discovered this.

You know, I'd give anything right now to find a coherent argument to flow and challenge your statements. As an American who loves my nation, I have to find something to point to and say you're just wrong. This can't be. Not my country. Not the United States of America.

You know what else? I can't come up with a single thing I can say which could be said with sincerity and honesty in challenge. That is probably the worst realization of these times. The fight hasn't been properly started in an open way yet? ...but that's only circumstantial in nature. Damned if most don't know the truth of your words...It's just hard to admit. Even to myself.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by fah0436
I don't want to derail the thread, but it is worth mentioning that a Federal Judge has greatly affected the NDAA by ruling that the detention aspects are unconstitutional:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm stunned that they voted to uphold the indef detention the day after a Judge ruled it unconstitutional

Any way here's the list of how our reps voted ....also with a nice map first time
politics.nytimes.com...

here's the Thursday vote
politics.nytimes.com...

"This year, Democratic leaders had some surprise support. Representative Justin Amash of Michigan, a Tea Party-backed freshman Republican, teamed up with Representative Adam Smith, Democrat of Washington, to declare that terrorism suspects apprehended on United States soil should not be detained indefinitely without charge or trial.

But the left-right coalition fizzled in the face of charges that the two lawmakers were coddling terrorists."

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Terrorist Tea Party Republicans are always the ones who side with Tyranny.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by BlueStatePatriot

Terrorist Tea Party Republicans are always the ones who side with Tyranny.

No, Politicians are always the ones who side with Tyranny.

Deny the Left - Right Paradigm.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Of course Republicans support it! You got a whole bunch of Santorums representing conservative idealism

Pretty lame if you ask me. I am surprised as many people voted it down as they did honestly...

That's a bunch of crap. The GOP...compared the DEMS are small government and personal freedom zealots.

There must have been some unconnected rider on the bill that was voted on....one that cost a lot of $$$ that the GOP wanted no part of.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
First it was the 'Patriot' Act
Then the NDAA
What next? Where will it stop? The mandatory Anal probings?

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrDetective
More proof the Democrats are for Liberty and the Republicans are for Tyranny

Shame on the Tea Party People and Republicans for supporting Tyranny.

Reminder--the House is run by the Tea Party

You're nothing but a plant or a troll.

Be gone, Troll!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join