It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your vote really count?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Although in the great scheme of life and politics in general what I am about to post may not appear at first to be That important it does make me think, Does the vote you cast really count

Recently we have had local elections to vote in a new council for the town in which I live. I have now found out that there was a miss count on the votes and votes which should have gone to a Labour councilor were incorrectly allocated to a conservative party councilor who then went on to win the seat. Not only did he hang on to his seat but this also means he can continue as the Mayor which dosnt appear to get a mention

www.dailypost.co.uk...

What is of interest to me is that altthought the leader of the the council has admited there was a mistake it is down to the candidates involved to make an appeal. Surely in this case the validity of the whole election needs to be called into question.

What further intrigues me is that they will not release to the public the number of votes that were miscounted.

While you may think who gives a sh** its just a little town in wales. Consider this how many places are mistakes like this being made and you as a voter have no control over it, meaning that unelected representatives stay in power. George Bush ring a bell anyone.

While this post might not have the same impact as where Obahma was born it matters to me because I thought everyones vote was supposed to count.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Everyone's vote is supposed to count. In my younger days, I really felt like my vote DID count. Call it naivete or just wishful thinking.

I know some here will probably jump on me for this opinion BUT, I long ago lost the pride, and the feeling that the government was actually hearing MY voice when I pulled that lever to cast my vote.

I am of the opinion that NO... your vote no longer counts as it should. I still vote. The failing will not be on my end for as long as I can help it. I vote every single chance I get.

Whether my ASSumption is right or not, this is the way I feel. I see too many more people that feel the exact same way. So IMO something IS wrong one way or the other. If a large portion of people get the same feeling, then something needs to change. The government should work a little harder to restore the people's lost faith in the system instead of ignoring it.
edit on 5/18/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:39 AM
link   
It does count!!!! Don't let them fool you!!!

All you have to do is to vote for the winning side, then your vote will have "counted"!!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
One of the problems in the UK is the apathy towrds voting in general. Unless its a vote for the X factor or Britains got talent that is

What really gets me in this case is that it could have been one of my votes that was miscounted because the names of the people being voted for are similar.

Errors on the behalf of those counting should not be sweeped under the table as if to say ok nothing to see here. The fact of the matter is that some peoples Votes did not count and we now have someone elected into a position of influence that could have got in on a miscount.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Your vote counts for smaller local positions and possibly even senators. But for presidents? Hell no. Even if it did count, you have two candidates that are identical except for maybe a few differences. I'm not ever voting for a president again, ever. Not after finding out the truth about Ron Paul atleast.

They even admit you aren't really voting for the president. You're voting for an elector...

However, I am voting out my congress men. They've supported the NDAA, supported the libya war, etc. And besides that, I'm sick of the career politicians. I emailed my congressmen accusing them of supporting the libya war to make money off oil (cause otherwise they wouldve attempted an impeachment on the pres), and got no answer. What's that tell you? They would've sent me a form letter telling me i was wrong if i was wrong.

I bet I'm on the no fly list...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Simple answer no your vote does not count for a hill of moldy beans. The fact of the matter is if a person can win the popular vote and not I repeat not win the election that goes to show how little your vote counts.

Did you know that the electorates who actually vote for the president can ignore the popular vote of the respective state, county or what have you that they represent?

Now I’m not saying don’t vote, by all means vote get your voice out there, it is your responsibility as a citizen of voting age to do so.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonsrreal

NO. IMO
THE WHOLE SYSTEM IS A SHAM.
ALL POLITICAIANS ARE SCHILLS, EVEN RON PAUL
THE ELECTORATE IS TO MAKE SURE THE FIX STICKS
DEMOCRACY NEVER WORKED IN ANCIENT GREECE( just an urban legend)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by NoLoveInFear46and2

What if you have voted for the wining team, but that team didnt actually win because of an administrative mistake and they do not declare the number of miscounted votes. Kind of stinks of a conspiracy to me. Particularly as the conseratives could have lost all the seats on the council had the votes been counted correctly

I have just spoken to someone in the legal department at the county council and been told that the only way that this can be resolved is if the labour candidate places an appeal. As a voter I am not allowed by
LAw to appeal this once the votes have been announced.

Just like I ddnt vote for a coalition government but we have one

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by phroziac

In this count votes did not count even on a small local election and we the voters have no comeback on this. just seems fundementaly wrong to me and a break down in the democratic process

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   

And such is the beauty of democracy, friend...

Land of the free my ass!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by NoLoveInFear46and2

I am not in the land of the free I am in the UK!

First corruption in Prestatyn next it will be in Pennsylvania Avenue!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

And I am in Canada, still the president is screwing evrything up and it does affect a lot of people and not just in the USA.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

For city/council seats yes your vote should count, even the mayor elections, where it gets tricky is senate-congress-presidential votes, my vote and your vote don't count, it falls into the hands of the electoral votes which are given by the mayors, governors of your state. To change a system you start in city and state officials changing them to your desired party then the electoral voters are hand picked to back the party.

You need to get media attention along with a petition with required number of signatures to have the votes recounted or a new elections.

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Of course it doesnt count. What makes anyone think that it does? Votes dont elect Politicians...or American IDOL...private interests and companies and TPTB do.

Voting is an illusion that makes us all think we have a say...when really...we dont. You'll see. Wait until this next election....and next weeks final AMERICAN IDOL.

top topics

join