It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mormon Church is a Cult

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Let's put an end to this arguement right now.

In this country, do we not have freedom of religion?

Yes?

Then who CARES what religion Mitt Romney is! Isn't it about his policies and lies he tells us that matter? Not who or what god he decides to pray to?

I don't give a flying monkey poo if a Satanist is in office, so long as he does what's best for our country.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia

I can't think of ANY other so called Christian faith that refuses NON members the ability to attend and worship.

I was Mormon for 5 years. Married a man who was raised Mormon -- so we tried it as a couple.

First thing I learned. Non-Mormons think they know everything about Mormons. They can ask you a question straight to your face. You give them the answer - - and they tell you you are wrong.

You don't understand anything you are spouting.
edit on 18-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)
you could say the same about non Christians and Christianity

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
You can call Mormons whatever you want, but if the world turned into anarchy, I'd choose to be around Mormon people out of all others. They by and large are some of the most honorable people I'v had the experiance to live with and around..... and no I'm not Mormon nor do I believe their teachings.....at all. Nor do I live now anywhere around Mormons. But those of you who attack Christians, or those of faith, no matter the faith, are disgusting. Your chief ambition seems to be to destroy anything you don't understand or that don't fit your comfort zone. I really think you guys are part of the greater problem. and while you consider yourselves more enlightened, you are generally less ....... is honorable the word? and certainly less enlightened. Living by faith is a concept that escapes you, and it really don't matter ....as I say your not relevant.

You strike me as mall contents, angry about everything and have no real happiness or contentment in your lives. Thats neither here nor there, I just dismiss you and your rants, and instead, surround myself with productive people.OP there's a book out by I believe Grant Jeffery called Kingdom of the Cults I think you'd like..... but what will it profit you to tear down those striving to be better people through Any Faith..... I surely don't think atheists or agnostics are productive when contributing to humanity. What have they to loose either way.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Keeper of Kheb

None of those are facts, they are twisted truths. Show that list to any Mormon you know and they will agree with me.

It's funny how much everyone "knows" about this church when they haven't set a foot in one or had a decent discussion with one of its members or missionaries.

Truth is, Mormons are some of the greatest people I know; friendly, upbeat, always looking to serve others. Didn't Christ say, "by their fruits ye shall know them."?

Stop judging them by contorted history written by people who just want to give them a bad name.

Think of any Mormons you know and see if they are decent people or not. They teach to follow Christ and do good to one another. What more can you ask for

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Theres always people out there hatin on other people for no reason. If someone wants to beleive something, let them. This is America where people have the freedom to worship how they want. So why dont you spend your time worrying about what you beleive and keep your nose out of other peoples personal business. Its people like you that are destroying this country and this world.... The people that beleive that everyone in the world should conduct their personal lives the same way you do.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by JayFlores
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

I cant believe the OP had to make a thread out of what everyone all ready knows. Mormons are sick, twisted, child molesting weirdos.But thats just my opinion based on what Ive seen

I have not known of one single Mormon who was ever molested a child. I suppose there are some out there as there are some in the general population, but I have never, EVER encountered one that was.
That psycho who kept several wives and some were underaged was NOT a Mormon, he was an offshoot of an offshoot of an offshoot (fringe, if you will), NOT a Mormon.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
Theres always people out there hatin on other people for no reason. If someone wants to beleive something, let them. This is America where people have the freedom to worship how they want. So why dont you spend your time worrying about what you beleive and keep your nose out of other peoples personal business. Its people like you that are destroying this country and this world.... The people that beleive that everyone in the world should conduct their personal lives the same way you do.

Spoken like a true Patriot...

I could care less what anyone's personal belief or non-belief preference is.

A Star for you.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Sure most Mormons are possessor of admirable qualities of personality, but... a liar is a liar is a liar, even if you are just recycling old lies originally told by someone else. Anyone that doesn't independently pursue the truth instead of swallowing what your elders tell you is actually working against the future of mankind.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

The Morman Church would be a great networking tool though if you wanted to sell financial products or insurance, they've got lots of dough. Doh!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb

i didn't condemn or judge anyone.the facts speak for themselves. this is not a matter of interpretation, it is a matter of creating new content not in the bible. Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship. it's like apples and oranges. The apple is clearly different than the orange so I am simply pointing out the differences. Mormonism is NOT Christianity.

Only in your opinion. In reality, they very much ARE Christians.

Mormons ARE Christian. In that their only savior is Jesus Christ.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

What psycho exactly?

Wives of Joseph Smith
Fanny Alger 16
Sarah Ann Whitney 17
Flora Ann Woodworth 16
Lucy Walker 17
Sarah Lawrence 17
Helen Mar Kimball 14
Nancy Mariah Winchester 14

Wives of Brigham Young
Clarissa Caroline Decker 15
Elizabeth Fairchild 16
Diana Chase 17
Ellen Rockwood 16
Lucy Bigelow 16

Those are the only ones deemed inappropriate by today's standards, and both men were over 40 when they took these plural wives half their age.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by richierich931

Sssshhhhhhh. You aren't supposed to remind them that their first two Prophet's were sex addicts.

I have noticed that Mormons quietly like to ignore that and play it down as much as possible.

Fact is ..... those two men did get a bunch of women ....and Joesph used God as an excuse to say it was ok. His first wife, Emma, hated him for taking on other wives.

That's more so the real reason they ran the Mormons out of town (Missouri/Illinois) .....is cause they were practicing polygamy and taking all the women.
edit on 18-5-2012 by dplum517 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I am not a Mormon, nor do I support there ideology, in fact I am strongly against it, however.....

World English Dictionary
cult (kʌlt) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
1. a specific system of religious worship, esp with reference to its rites and deity
2. a sect devoted to such a system
3. a quasi-religious organization using devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents
4. sociol a group having an exclusive ideology and ritual practices centred on sacred symbols, esp one characterized by lack of organizational structure

According to that Christ started a Cult, especially from the Judaic perspective.

No, to me a cult are very small groups usually with a charismatic human leader.

I do not consider Mormons a cult they are too big for that and they are organized.

People seem too quick to brand large religious groups as cults when they have progressed way beyond that, just as Christ and his followers which by strict definition were a cult, progressed beyond that status.

No people use the word cult on certain religions to portray them in a negative light. It's a sure sign that instead of fighting the ideology they are being lazy and just branding them a cult.
If the Mormons are a cult, then so is the Catholic church.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Anybody ever read Stranger in a Strange Land? The Fosterites were definitely a cult!

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue_Jay33

I'd say you are pretty much right on the money.

It's silly to call these Religions, "cults"

Lets just call them Organized Religion .....

Heavens Gate was a cult ....lets just leave the cults for those types

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb

The mormon religion is NOT christianity.

Here's why...

Some Mormon Facts

1. Jesus is not God but "A son of God" primarily the offspring of a sexual relationship between God the father and his wife.
2. God the father is not All knowing, All powerful, All present
3. The Father, Son, Holy Spirit are 3 seperate individuals not 3in1
4. Jesus's work of salvation was completed in Gethsemene when he wept blood.
5. All life on earth is made up of Angels that remained neutral in the conflict between Lucifer and God and are sent here to make a choice.
6. God the father was once a man like you and I and ascended to Godhood.
7. Man can ascend to Godhood and have a planet of his own and populate it with his offspring with his eternal wife.
8. No translation is correct except the King James Bible "As long as it is translated correctly" in which most cases mormons read either a mormon king james where supposedly Joseph Smith corrected the mistakes or they don't read it all. they mainly read Doctrines & Covenants, Pearl of Great price, & book of mormon.
9. They believe they are part of a lost tribe of israel that migrated here and christ came over here after his resurrection and preached the gospel to them.
10. They believe salvation is through Faith & Works not the truth that salvation is by faith alone and your works is a result of your salvation. No mormon knows if he is going to heaven or not. Christians are assured of their salvation from the beginning.

This is just off the top of my head there is much much more....

As I understand it being born and raised Mormon (now agnostic)

1. Jesus is the first born Son of God, we also believe that we are the sons and daughters of God.

2. God is all knowing, all powerful and all present.

3. True, but we believe that they are one in purpose to the point that they are the same.

4. Wrong, we don't believe that at all. We celebrate his victory over death.

5. No, we believe that those who supported God's plan come to earth. Neutral spirits wouldn't come to earth, since that was God's plan.

6. This is probably the weirdest of our beliefs, We believe that we are actually God's children and like any child we hope to grow up to become like our parent.

7. We are God's children... A kitten grows up to be a cat.

8. The official church uses the King James version, and generally accept it to be true. You would find that most Mormons know the bible very well.

9. True

10. This is disputed and not clearly taught. We believe that you are saved through the grace of Christ, if you accept him into your life and follow him. There isn't a specific list of works you need to do, but you do need to be one of his followers.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Where exactly do you get your information from? I can tell you it's not just wrong it's shamefully wrong shortsighted and INGORANT.

First off calling Warren Jeffs a Mormon is BS. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (aka the mormons) does not support polygamy and has not supported it for well over a hundred years. As a matter of fact the Mormon church is so anti polygamy that if you are a member of the church and decide to practice polygamy it will get you instantly excommunicated from the church!

Second of all if you look at early Mormon Church history you will see why polygamy was practiced at the time. It was actually a pretty simple solution to a complex problem. During the early years of the Mormon church women were joining the church at a rate 5 or more times faster than men. Now bear in mind at the time a single woman alone was in a precarious position. The churches solution to this was to allow on a limited basis plural marriage.

Third your assertion about Mormons marrying Nine year old girls is just ludicrous (that's Mohammed who married a 9 year old not Joe smith or any of his followers). The group that marries young girls and more than one of them is known as the FLDS church. They are NOT I REPEAT NOT MORMONS.... They are a splinter sect that left the main fold many many decades ago! Now those people really do sometimes marry young girls which, like you, I find abhorrent. Because of this you will never see me having anything good to say about the FLDS church.

Fourth the OP's assertion that ann romney's family were not able to attend the marriage ceremony because of some prohibition is only partially true. I'm not going to go into the where's why's and how's of the Mormon Temple but suffice it to say that her family was allowed to attend the wedding they were even allowed into certain parts of the temple but they would not have been allowed into the area where they perform the actual marriage vows. Only those who have had certain ordnances and traditions done are allowed to enter this area. What this means is that even quite a few MORMONS WOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO VIEW THE CEREMONY. It wasn't discrimination it was just the way Mormons choose to do things.

Fifth Mormonism is no more a cult than any other major religion out there so unless you consider catholics a cult too then calling mormonism a cult is uncalled for.

Sixth I am NOT a Mormon but I do get tired of seeing them bashed constantly by ill educated people who choose to be taken in by the slander and half truths published by people with an ax to grind against the church.

Seventh If you want to actually LEARN something about mormonism you can feel free to Pm me or respond to this message at any time and I'll do my best to explain what I can.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
The Mormon Church is a cult?

Estimated 15 million Mormons worldwide
Estimated 5 million Mormons in the US

Estimated 2.1 billion Christians worldwide
Estimated 200 million Christians in the US

So, in the US, Mormons make up about 2.5 percent of all Christians....

Worldwide Mormons make up less than 1.0 percent of all Christians...

From a worldwide perspective Mormonism is definitely a Christian cult
From a US perspective Mormonism is probably more an accepted sect of US Christianity

Now for your next thread....Is ALL RELIGION a cult?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
"3. a quasi-religious organization using devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents "

Tell me how the Catholic church doesn't do this, remember when the pope said anybody that isn't a Catholic is going to hell?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod
reply to post by knightsofcydonia

If you really want to bash Mormonism, bash them for not allowing Caffeine...

I'd die without Caffeine. Coke is delicious and coffee is my go juice.

caffeine is our friend, i knew i did not like those mormons for a reason

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join