The Mormon Church is a Cult

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by protocolsoflove

*cackle*

Kurt Russell escaped from new york and LA. He is sunglasses Jesus.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
You're dead wrong on your "ASSumptions" of Mormons. They are some of the most respectable and commendable people I have ever had the pleasure to be around. It's not a cult, investigate it for yourself, go attend services and then make your claims. I grew up Mormon and it help shape me into the compassionate and confident person I am today. Though I am inactive in the church, I still hold them in high regard.

But you'd rather demonize something you don't understand, it's YOUR opinion and I can respect that....

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenVoyager

reply to post by thrustbucket

Then why do they only serve caffeine free coke at the Polynesian Cultural Center (run by the Mormons), near BYU in Hawaii if caffeine isn't ban?

Source - Personal experience and for back up ...

About PCC
edit on 18-5-2012 by thesungod because: Spelling... I think I got it all.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
oh for God's Sake! i'm so damn tired of reading these same sentences over and over again.

yes, the mormon chruch is a cult.

so is every other religion. so is technology. and science. and music. and any other f**king thing you can think of that has a cult following.

open your mind to the possiblity that there is nothing wrong in this world, only differences of opinion. grow up and evolve or you will be left behind.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by reeferman

Read it 3 times front to back and still your argument is silly. Ask a scientist how evolution happened. See how many answers you get. Just because your Christian doesn't mean you give up independent thinking...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod

Then why do they only serve caffeine free coke at the Polynesian Cultural Center (run by the Mormons), near BYU in Hawaii if caffeine isn't ban?

There is no ban on caffeine.

Here's what it actually says:

1–9, The use of wine, strong drinks, tobacco, and hot drinks is proscribed; www.lds.org...

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
All religions are cults.

The ideology is secondary to compliance.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by richierich931
reply to post by PurpleChiten

What psycho exactly?

Wives of Joseph Smith
Fanny Alger 16
Sarah Ann Whitney 17
Flora Ann Woodworth 16
Lucy Walker 17
Sarah Lawrence 17
Helen Mar Kimball 14
Nancy Mariah Winchester 14

Wives of Brigham Young
Clarissa Caroline Decker 15
Elizabeth Fairchild 16
Diana Chase 17
Ellen Rockwood 16
Lucy Bigelow 16

Those are the only ones deemed inappropriate by today's standards, and both men were over 40 when they took these plural wives half their age.

In the 1840's that was acceptable, in 2012, it is not and is considered child molestation. When society changed, they changed right along with it.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dplum517
reply to post by richierich931

Sssshhhhhhh. You aren't supposed to remind them that their first two Prophet's were sex addicts.

I have noticed that Mormons quietly like to ignore that and play it down as much as possible.

Fact is ..... those two men did get a bunch of women ....and Joesph used God as an excuse to say it was ok. His first wife, Emma, hated him for taking on other wives.

That's more so the real reason they ran the Mormons out of town (Missouri/Illinois) .....is cause they were practicing polygamy and taking all the women.
edit on 18-5-2012 by dplum517 because: (no reason given)

He definitely had something going for him. Guess he was a chick-magnet

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by HardToStarboard

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by PurpleChiten

Originally posted by Keeper of Kheb

i didn't condemn or judge anyone.the facts speak for themselves. this is not a matter of interpretation, it is a matter of creating new content not in the bible. Christianity is not a religion, it's a relationship. it's like apples and oranges. The apple is clearly different than the orange so I am simply pointing out the differences. Mormonism is NOT Christianity.

Only in your opinion. In reality, they very much ARE Christians.

Mormons ARE Christian. In that their only savior is Jesus Christ.

I don't think the Christ portrayed in LDS is the one from the bible since LDS denies that Jesus was/is God. They also deny that He was eternal (denying John 1:1) and instead say that He was a created being just like man. That's an heretical statement according to the Catholic/Protestant/Anglo/Orthodox view. It also nullifies His propitiation for sin (i.e. - by denying He is both God and man the LDS church essentially renders the cross powerless).

I'm using the following link as reference. They, in turn, use the main LDS site as their reference (I just like the site because it gathers all religion facts into one nonpartisan location for easy reference and study).

www.religionfacts.com...
edit on 18-5-2012 by HardToStarboard because: Edited quote formst
edit on 18-5-2012 by HardToStarboard because: (no reason given)

They don't deny Christ is God, they deny the trinity concept which is NOT clearly defined in the bible. The "Trinity" was created by the Catholic Church and passed on to many of the Protestant churches but is not a "cornerstone" of Christianity.
en.wikipedia.org...

Christ himself prayed to God, did he pray to himself?
He was to ascend and sit at the right hand of God, was he going to sit at his own right hand?

They have a point.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kharron
I'm a photographer and a few years back I was doing a Mormon wedding. Easiest money I've ever made!

I took NO photos of the ceremony or any part of the actual wedding, as no one but immediate family was allowed in -- and even at that only Mormon church members. If I remember correctly, the bride's step mom was not Mormon so she could not even be inside to see her step daughter get married.

Anyways, for almost two hours I had to hang out with various groups of people outside the temple, and just covered the wedding from that angle for a while, while the bride and groom were getting married.

From those few that knew what was happening, I was told that they had a second set of clothes inside, very plain white clothing -- robes. Once inside the bride and the groom would change from their wedding dress and the tux into the plain clothes and get married in those. Then they change back and come outside, so when I resumed photography of them coming out the front door, the bride had already gotten dressed twice!

I don't know about you ladies, I've done plenty of weddings and spent countless hours in dressing rooms hearing complaints about dresses and hair and make up etc... would you want to do that twice in a day?!

I don't know why they paid me all that money to cover a wedding from the sidelines but I didn't care.

Khar

edit:
P.S. Oh and whether it's a cult or not... as opposed to organized religion? It's all the same to me and I really don't care. Shades of grey. Nuances of ridiculousness.
edit on 18-5-2012 by Kharron because: (no reason given)

That only happens if they are being married in the Temple, not in the average, ordinary church. The Temple is a very sacred place and certain areas are reserved for practicing Mormons. It would be like opening the doors to the vatican for anyone to come and go as they please.
Can you imagine somebody just "popping in" and saying "Yo, Pope dude, whazzup??"

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
As far as the Jewish population at the time was concerned, that Jesus Christ dude and his 12 homeboys were a cult.... it's all in the eye of the beholder.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thesungod

Source - Personal experience and for back up ...

About PCC
edit on 18-5-2012 by thesungod because: Spelling... I think I got it all.

Caffeine, as an addictive stimulant is frowned on and not sold by the church. Members are free to drink caffeine (as long as its not tea or coffee) without losing standing in the church, so its hard to say its "banned"

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

What psycho exactly?

Wives of Joseph Smith
Fanny Alger 16
Sarah Ann Whitney 17
Flora Ann Woodworth 16
Lucy Walker 17
Sarah Lawrence 17
Helen Mar Kimball 14

Wives of Brigham Young
Elizabeth Fairchild 16
Diana Chase 17
Ellen Rockwood 16
Lucy Bigelow 16

Those are the only ones deemed inappropriate by today's standards, and both men were over 40 when they took these plural wives half their age.

In the 1840's that was acceptable, in 2012, it is not and is considered child molestation. When society changed, they changed right along with it.

Its also necessary to understand - - not all marriages were as they are today.

I know its shocking - - - but marriage isn't all about sex.

A better list might be how many and which wives bore him natural children.

There were also "spiritual" marriages in name only.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

What psycho exactly?

Wives of Joseph Smith
Fanny Alger 16
Sarah Ann Whitney 17
Flora Ann Woodworth 16
Lucy Walker 17
Sarah Lawrence 17
Helen Mar Kimball 14

Wives of Brigham Young
Elizabeth Fairchild 16
Diana Chase 17
Ellen Rockwood 16
Lucy Bigelow 16

Its also necessary to understand - - not all marriages were as they are today.

I know its shocking - - - but marriage isn't all about sex.

A better list might be how many and which wives bore him natural children.

There were also "spiritual" marriages in name only.

not to mention teenage females marrying was somewhat common in the 1800s in and out of church.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by knightsofcydonia

I can't think of ANY other so called Christian faith that refuses NON members the ability to attend and worship.

I was Mormon for 5 years. Married a man who was raised Mormon -- so we tried it as a couple.

First thing I learned. Non-Mormons think they know everything about Mormons. They can ask you a question straight to your face. You give them the answer - - and they tell you you are wrong.

You don't understand anything you are spouting.
edit on 18-5-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

You make a very good point.
Too many non mormons don't understand the the significants of earlier apostles saying "please give us knowledge of whether the book of mormon is true or false. Because they were so sure of themselves that it is. Now it is a plague if you obtain truth from even the best scholars even within the LDS church. There are many BYU archeologist, scientist and anthropologist that keep quite because they know who butter's their bread.

i was just listening to Mcheal Coe who is a top scholar in archeology and how he respects the work that BYU does in legit fields but even they (BYU) mostly stay away from the Book of Mormon lands like a plague because they know of the works of Thomas Ferguson and others that dug and dug in BOM lands and came up with NOTHING!

Non mormons love to be- little the LDS but they are NOT DOING THEIR HOMEWORK WERE IT SHOULD BE DONE! DNA - Simon Southerton - author Losing a Lost Tribe. A MUST read for non mormons!
Grant Palmer's "Insider's View" (when he was an insider) and a VERY GOOD ONE. One of the true, true heroes of that church when he was a member (and after) and a complete shame when he was disfellowshipped. And have to think in alll truthfulness that Jesus himself must be very very proud of him. That man is a great man. And have to think that Thomas Monson must know he should NOT of been disfellowship!

I hear cult this and cult that.

Come on guys and gals that love to slam, DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!
'

I have to think that jesus is of the highest source but from James E. Pagett's point of view, Jesus did NOT want to be called a GOD, that Adam and Even, Jesus calls "supposed first parents. (maybe there is an annanuki type tie in? DNA manipulation? James E. Pagett said if I read right that Jesus's second coming was his visiting James Pagett and giving him truthful information.

Not saying I am convinced of James Pagett but I have to think ever since I heard the scripture that Eve came from Adams rib has to be some kind of bone marrow transplant or dna manipulation etc.

edit on 18-5-2012 by thetiler because: spelling

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RustyNailer
You're dead wrong on your "ASSumptions" of Mormons. They are some of the most respectable and commendable people I have ever had the pleasure to be around. It's not a cult, investigate it for yourself, go attend services and then make your claims. I grew up Mormon and it help shape me into the compassionate and confident person I am today. Though I am inactive in the church, I still hold them in high regard.

But you'd rather demonize something you don't understand, it's YOUR opinion and I can respect that....

And without it you'd have become an outrageous salivating psychotic mass murderer... right?

Why do people think they need a play ground god to make their lives worthy.

I laughed my bum off, and then back on again... hilarity.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

It has every right to be in politics. If the dude was a scientologist nutjob I would be more worried though.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by thrustbucket

not to mention teenage females marrying was somewhat common in the 1800s in and out of church.

Lots of teenage females still marry young.

We only hear about it if it hits the media for some reason.

I think most states in US allow marriage at 14 with parental consent.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

14, is that serious? I know of a case where a man got 75 years for eloping with a 16 year old!
caselaw.findlaw.com...

Under 18 means jail man! Any grown man that would marry a 14 year old girl should be locked up until the girl is at least 18, and yes even if they are Mormon. I happen to have a 14 year old daughter and she is just a child!
edit on 18-5-2012 by Donkey_Dean because: (no reason given)

new topics
top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join