It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Contradictions about May 20th Eclipse

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Ok I'm really confused... I started a topic earlier about the NASA 2012 May 20 PARTIAL eclipse and even got one of my teachers to show an official NASA video from youtube that a poster put on my original topic. But now since I've been planning on watching this with my gf on May 20th and some friends over a couple beers as the video told me it would be coming over Western US in the evening, as the date comes closer I'm trying to look up the exact time so we'll have our cameras ready etc...

So looking for an exact time I came across this NASA website which is even more confusing as it doesn't give me the time at when it happens but it also says it's coming over Auburn, WA on May 21st?? WTF? LoL I don't get it. NASA also says it's an ANNULAR eclipse which is contradictory to what they said! Can somebody help me out here??

eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
The moon won't be over that part of the US until early A.M of the 21st, but will be visible in the early afternoon and late evening of the 20th. So even if it's 12 A.M it's still the 21st.

Correction: It's going to be visible in Asia on the 21st....
edit on 16-5-2012 by GmoS719 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
My gf which is more on top of the ball said this is what she found:

Starts at 5:02 reaches its max at 6:18 lasts til 7:26 and Sunset is at 7:36. (At least for South Sound area)

I thought eclipses only lasted a couple minutes?? So are we sposed to wait outside drinking from 5 pm until 7:30 pm????

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
1) An annular eclipse is an eclipse in which the distance of the Moon from Earth makes the apparent size of the Moon smaller than the Sun. It is not the same thing as a partial eclipse. In a partial eclipse the center of the Moon does not cross the center of the Sun.

2) The link you provided shows the eclipse occuring on May 20 at the Terrestrial Dynamical Time of 23:53:53. This corresponds to a local time of about 6:30PM local time (depending on your location) on the 20th. First contact will occur shortly after 5:00 PM.
edit on 5/16/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Yeah but they're calling it PARTIAL too... More news sites, media, even NASA are calling it Partial as well as ANNULAR which is confusing! And I still don't get what you mean it starts a 5 so does it last from 5 pm until 730 pm?? I thought they only lasted like 2-5 minutes?

Sorry I'm no astronomer could you clarify please?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Swing80s

It depends on your location. From some locations it will appear as a partial eclipse. Over much of Oregon it will be an annular eclipse.

Totality (in this case "annularity") lasts a matter of minutes. Between First Contact (when the Moon first "touches" the Sun) and Last Contact, can last quite a bit longer.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

dude look at where i'm at..we should have an ATS party to watch..

graham

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Yeah my gf lives in Puyallup and her best friends boyfriend lives in graham I'm down come kick it and have some beers with us we're trying to think of the best spot to watch it

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:41 AM
link   

I lived in the valley for a while way back when.
Wouldn't a drive across the Cascades be a better bet for clear skies?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I keep asking him what he's gunna do when Ranier erupts

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Well we've been having surprisng good weather. I don't want to jinx it so I'm not gunna forecast what I think Sunday's weather will be like. My gf and I are trying to think if we should watch it together or split up incase of clouds but I think it'd be kick ass to get a picture of us under an eclipse!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

I've seen a total eclipse. It hits something very primal even when you know exactly what's happening.

Do whatever you can to make sure you get a good view. You'll really regret it if you miss it because the clouds roll in. Go east!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   

And go south
eclipse-maps.com...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I wish it was going to be a total eclpise. I was talking to (flirting with) my AP teacher for like an hour after class today and she said in NM she saw one by surprise just driving down the highway and was telling me about how amazing it was because it just came out of nowhere and got dark in the morning when she was driving to work or something. The only thing you hafta remember about Eastern WA is how crappy and cold is still might be. I wouldn't be surprised if the passes still have snow. I went to CWU so I think I'm done driving over the cascades for a few years LoL

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Actually that would be a nice drive I've never drove from eastern WA to eastern OR. I've always wanted to visit the Canadian Pocket desert though. It's crazy to think that Canada has a desert. With cactii too!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

KOOL!!! u2u me and we can get meet-up info

im married but i might bring my girlfriend also
lol

my wife is hitting me YES dear HE knows im joking!!
edit on 5/16/12 by darrman because: add a thingy

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:05 AM
link   
For sure!

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
1) makes the apparent size of the Moon smaller than the Sun.

Isn't it?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:59 AM
link   
On the NASA link you provided, it shows how some locations will be, total, annular or partial.

Annular is for China, Japan and your location; western US.
I suggest reading local news, they will most likely tell you the best viewing times.

I'm using this news for my viewing time
Vancouver Sun News
I see what you mean about the length if viewing time. Maybe you calculate the time splitting in the middle?

In B.C., a parital solar eclipse will be visible from 4:58 to 7:21 p.m.

would this mean it's best around 5:10pm for BC?

It says central duration for over 5 minutes.

Phage, does this mean when it will be at its best ?
Is it safe on the eyes to look at?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Oh it said

Of course, no one should look directly at the eclipse due to the risk of permanent eye damage. Even sunglasses are not enough to protect eyes from the glare.

Read more: www.vancouversun.com...

Why even look then ? I think you need a special viewing scope you can make yourself from a cardboard tube! With a pinhole at one end.
A pinhole camera I think.
edit on 16-5-2012 by violet because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join