It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Contradictions about May 20th Eclipse

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

It depends.
The radius of the Moon's orbit varies. At some points it is further from the Earth than at others. When it is closer to Earth its apparent diameter is greater. When it is further from the Earth its apparent diameter is less.

When the Moon is close enough to the Earth its disk complete covers the Sun during an eclipse. When it it further away it does not and we get an annular eclipse.

edit on 5/16/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

"Central duration" would be the period of totality (in this case "annularity"), so yes, that's when it is at its best. But the exact time will vary according to your exact location.

A total eclipse is safe to view with the naked eye (at totality). I don't think it's a good idea to view an annular eclipse without protection.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Anyone else notice the path of the moon? Goes right over one of the most, if not the most active spot on the west coast for earthquakes? Juan De Fuca meets North American and Pacific plates. Bit creepy due to all the earthquake theories and vibes coming from people including myself.

May 20th also has a history of massive earthquakes, all around 700 years apart including this 20th. Hope its nonsense! be safe

Map< br />
faults
edit on 5/16/2012 by SSDDay because: Added links

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hi Phage, sorry to bother the "Sage" I know that we are ALL picking your brain, but always best to pick the brain you know has the info!

I am situated in Windhoek which is in central Namibia, what would be the best time for us to view from here or are we as usual going to be disappointed?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

Sorry, wrong continent. You're out of luck.
eclipse-maps.com...

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Damn! I just knew it! Thanks anyway!

ps. Thanks for that link, I have saved it so hopefully won't have to bother you with silly questions about this kind of thing again, other things maybe!
edit on 16/5/12 by wiser3 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Is there anything you dont know?

can jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Will it be visible in the Southern Hemisphere?

vvv

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Most of the NASA sites are using UTC which is -8 from PST.

You have to convert to your local time from UTC. Just google it..

As for partial, it is a partial eclipse in that the moon wont be big enough in the sky to block out the whole sun, only part of it, even when directly in front it will not cover 100% and hence is not a "total" eclipse.

Also, the eclipse starts at 5pm and ends at 7pm because thats how long it will take the moon to pass completely over the sun, but the peak of the eclipse will only last 4 minutes, the point where it sits directly between you and the sun.

Hope that helps!!! Don't use sunglasses to look at the sun you need special glasses!!! It will be dim enough to not hurt to look at directly but will still cause damage!!! be careful!

posted on May, 19 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So you guys on the west coast ready for something that happens once every 18 years? I hope from A-town we'll at least get a good view for the 2 and 1/2 hours it'll be above out BBQ closest it'll get to the center I wanna pic with my GF under it. Luckily I'll be with my family as it's also a buncha family members b-days (wonder what day was 9 months ago?) so if the earth goes a-rockin we'll hafta worry about only over-cooking the steak
Since my Gpa knows about all these kinda lunar events WAY in advance of me (sometimes I wonder if free-masons he claims he's not part of anymore give him warnings or trained him to look out for specific events) hopefully if all the dogs start going bannanas we can take it as a warning sign! Anyways hope you guys have a nice sunday with a great view! It's sunny over here now and I'm hoping it'll be the same tomorrow even tho iPhone says nein =/ But it's gunna last awhile so hopefully they'll b a sun break, plus I heard the clouds are gunna b north of Seattle

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join