It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul Watson Of The Sea Shephard Has Been Arrested In Germany

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Originally posted by zorgon

ATS armchair activists
Can't even sign a petition around here without violating T&C

Operation Divine Wind: 768 whales saved... ...Of the Minke Whale Kill quota of 935 whales, 266 whales were killed. Of the Fin Whale quota of 50, only 1 was killed. Of the Humpback Whale quota of 50 there were zero kills. Sea Shepherd chased the Japanese whaling fleet for 17,000 miles and kept two of their three harpoon ships out of the game as they kept the Nisshin Maru constantly running. Operation Divine Wind has been a major success!

Not bad no matter what you think of the Captain

Again, I say there would have been a "harpoon accident" for sure if I were one of these Captains.

Zip in front of my ship in a zodiac and me with a harpoon grenade...right. Zodiac loses every time. I'd laugh so hard to see that just once.

Acts of piracy on the high seas should be punished. A Captain can take any measure necessary to protect his vessel and crew from acts of piracy.

I guess if I needed a defense (like if any of them survied).

I'd even use their own videos against them on court.

"See there your honor they are erratically zipping between the target and the harpooner...."

"Clearly an accident...."

By your logic our Navy should be torpedoing these Japanese ships when they whale illegally in our waters. The true pirates are the ones raping and pillaging these whale sanctuaries. BTW you have no Idea what a real pirate is your an armchair commando. Try taking a lovely cruise off our WA coast sometime then you'll see what true piracy is. Its certainly not an unarmed protester in a squishy zodiac facing down a massive whaling ship. That's just courage of conviction. But you wouldn't understand that would ya?

edit on 17-5-2012 by Shirak because: meh

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShirakBTW you have no Idea what a real pirate is your an armchair commando. Try taking a lovely cruise off our WA coast sometime then you'll see what true piracy is. It’s certainly not an unarmed protester in a squishy zodiac facing down a massive whaling ship. That's just courage of conviction. But you wouldn't understand that would ya?

LOL Search function fail.... do you not search a person’s ATS profile before you begin a tirade?

Actually, I spent 24 years in the US Army - 17 of those in Special Operations as a Special Forces Engineer Sergeant and later as an SF Team and Company Commander. In between those key positions I had all kinds of individual operational assignements in the field of Special Operations.

I know what/who terrorists and real pirates are and what they do…

I spent about 3 years on the horn of Africa working with the legitimate governments of several nations to combat terrorism and piracy in the region.

I think this Sea Sheppard group are worse than the pirates who want to simply steal ships and take hostages. Those type are easy to deal with – they chose a course of action and accept their consequences. Those pirates motivated by poverty at least I can respect – they don’t try to hide who they are.

These “activist” whackos are commiting acts that fit the definition of piracy all the while hiding behind some sort of “we are peaceful” disclaimer when they get caught up in a legal tangle. Weak and pathetic wana bes who "rough it" off the donations of people who feel them some sort of Robin Hood of the sea. Look at the crew - trust fund babies and college kids who compete for slots on the ship so they can tell all thier friends how tough they had it when they saved the whales.

Deliberately hazarding a ship at sea with another vessel or aircraft or interfering with legitimate commerce is an act of piracy. Regardless of my personal views these vessels have legitimate license to hunt whales from their government within agreed upon limits in INTERNATIONAL waters.

If a ship/captain or crew is breaking the law in any nation’s sovereign waters then it's up to that government to find, arrest and try the perpetrators. If he'd follow and film at a safe distance then make his case with a GPS log or whatever without acting the fool - he'd probably be taken more seriously by your government. No government is going to support or back a captain who commits acts that fit the definition of piracy in some international court.

Unless Australia is still issuing privateer licenses I don't know about taking any action to interfere with these ships is let me say it slow for you P I R A C Y .

He can't have his cake and eat it too – he clearly engages in piracy (for which I gave you the Maritime Law definition earlier).

I respect a person who fights for and believes in cause - even my enemy’s cause.

I have met and fought against some dedicated foes, in many places in my lifetime. However, I don't feel all sorry for them when they get their due. They made a choice.

Then again - I am an armchair commando.

Sure I am.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

There are two sides to that coin...

Nope. There is only one side.

You can't claim to do research by killing hundreds of whales each year. Then of course the carcass is sold to the markets.

You even claimed that "the research" was a loophole and I agreed. Forget already?

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66

Originally posted by ShirakBTW you have no Idea what a real pirate is your an armchair commando. Try taking a lovely cruise off our WA coast sometime then you'll see what true piracy is. It’s certainly not an unarmed protester in a squishy zodiac facing down a massive whaling ship. That's just courage of conviction. But you wouldn't understand that would ya?

LOL Search function fail.... do you not search a person’s ATS profile before you begin a tirade?

Actually, I spent 24 years in the US Army - 17 of those in Special Operations as a Special Forces Engineer Sergeant and later as an SF Team and Company Commander. In between those key positions I had all kinds of individual operational assignements in the field of Special Operations.

I know what/who terrorists and real pirates are and what they do…

That pretty much tells me all I need to know along with your hate for communism as you're signature. Northwest misouri, die hard small government type.
I have zero sympathy for people like you because you represent a corrupt government and probably work for the cia in black ops...behind the back stabbing!

I have read all your posts in this thread and it is quite astonishing how little respect you have for the wildlife on this planet. Of course so much right wing brainwashing(big business is always right!) will do negative wonders for anyone. You personify everything that is evil with america and global capitalism, to the point of getting all worked up about make-believe piracy.

Unbelievable!

edit on 5/17/2012 by EarthCitizen07 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by OccamAssassin

Your opinion on the subject is CLEARLY politically driven, and not interested in the facts.

That is obvious for all, now.

Of course his opinion his "politicaly driven".

It is called the disease of conservatism!

Anyone who watches too much Ron Paul and Fox News suffers from the same predicament. But they have nice chicks though. I give them that much.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07
Secondly how would you know if the whales are not facing extinction? I am not aware of any conclusive research in this area.

Then you have not spent much time researching the topic.

Paul Watson encourages his followers to make up facts and data if needed to support their argument, is that what you are trying to do here?

No conclusive cetacean studies?

edit on 16-5-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: syntax

Oh, so he exagerates a bit and that makes his cause less noble? Are you kidding me? The media lies day-in and day-out along with the government but we don't have a problem with that?

Maybe you should study history a bit to find out the rich have always controlled the government, especially with a capitalist economy. Yeah it is a free country all right...free to steal money from the tax payers, free to be misinformed, free to get locked up if you protest too much.

What is the difference between america/australia/japan and nazi germany? Other than the holocaust of course...probably not much!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Originally posted by Shirak

Who's business is it if
people want to eat whales.??

Obviously most americans would CHOOSE
not to.. I certaintly wouldn't eat it. Who the hell
are you people to say they can't eat whales?

Who the hell does skipper paul think he is
Obviously the *research law* was put in place
as a loop hole... Go after the laws. Those
guys on the whaling ship are just trying to make
a living like skipper dimwit paul and i am sure
he makes 3000% what those fisherman get.

Don't make it sound like hes going after poor destitute fishermen.

WHAT?

That is exactly what the hell he is doing!!
The guys who own these whaling ships
are not on the damn boat, the people who put
the *research whaling laws aren't either, who is?
Little mushiki trying to feed his wife and 3 kid's..
Mushiki then has got skipper dimwit and crew of ass holes
throwing stuff at them, endangering their lifes, and practically
trying to kill them for their own agenda,
going after the wrong damn people.
GET REAL
edit on 16-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

Word.

2nd loin(cloth)

edit on 17-5-2012 by seabhac-rua because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I have to disagree with you.
There is no guarantee damage won't happen from carrying out such an act.

ATS armchair activists

Operation Divine Wind: 768 whales saved... ...Of the Minke Whale Kill quota of 935 whales, 266 whales were killed. Of the Fin Whale quota of 50, only 1 was killed. Of the Humpback Whale quota of 50 there were zero kills. Sea Shepherd chased the Japanese whaling fleet for 17,000 miles and kept two of their three harpoon ships out of the game as they kept the Nisshin Maru constantly running. Operation Divine Wind has been a major success!

768 whales saved.

Those whales were not saved
just another boat filled the damn quota
its a charade.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

There are two sides to that coin...

Nope. There is only one side.

You can't claim to do research by killing hundreds of whales each year. Then of course the carcass is sold to the markets.

You even claimed that "the research" was a loophole and I agreed. Forget already?

That argument may hold against the Japanese.

What about the other nations actively and openly whaling?

Norway, Iceland, Canada, etc..... all openly hunt whales. Are they exploiting a loophole?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Kaddafi did a speech that best explains it....."we all lie and steal from each other".

Everyone's pillaging the oceans. Every country on Earth. Nobody's abiding by rules. No one gives 1 rats rear about the ocean and what's in it.

Everyone will laugh that this guy is in jail over protecting some stupid sharks. He wasted his life.

As he sits in prison he'll ponder the time on Earth he wasted because HUMANITY doesn't give 1 rats rear about the oceans or anything in it.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Why would you need a license to protect the Earth's creatures? I don't require a license to help a child being harassed. Having the stones to do the right thing despite any laws (written by crooks and scumbags btw) is what makes a truly great man.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
I have to disagree with you.
There is no guarantee damage won't happen from carrying out such an act.

ATS armchair activists

768 whales saved.

Those whales were not saved
just another boat filled the damn quota
its a charade.

Should I stop cleaning up litter at the park because I know that I cannot clean the entire Earth myself? How can fighting to protect purity ever not be the right thing?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jeantherapy

Should I stop cleaning up litter at the park because I know that I cannot clean the entire Earth myself? How can fighting to protect purity ever not be the right thing?

Oh, I don't know maybe tim mcveigh and
terrorist suicide bombers who think they were
protecting purity when in reality not so at all.

Sea shepard has not saved one whale
they can spout all the bs they want
to justify their actions but it is still just bs

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
You sound as if you'd feel happy and at home on a planet where creatures such as whales no longer exist. Is that what I am to take away from your posts?

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

You sound as if you'd feel happy and at home on a planet where creatures such as whales no longer exist. Is that what I am to take away from your posts?

Seems to be pretty much the feeling I get in this thread. I'm with that guy and his Banner on the first page

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jeantherapy

Do it if you like to. I do that myself. I wouldn't recommend that if you see someone throw a wrapper out their car window, that you go start ramming his car though.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Golf66

Why would you need a license to protect the Earth's creatures? I don't require a license to help a child being harassed. Having the stones to do the right thing despite any laws (written by crooks and scumbags btw) is what makes a truly great man.

Cool, get a gun strap it on and go around town in a car zipping through traffic endangering people and enforce the laws without a badge and let me know how that works out for you. I'm sure all the other guys in jail will appreciate your stones for you.

I admire his zeal - I am just saying he is lucky one of these Japanese Captains hasn't invoked the law of the sea and killed him and his crew. I think they are the ones showing character. They would be well within thier rights to do so.

If he wants to die for the whales - more power to him.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Here is an update, in a nutshell the German courts have granted Paul Watson bail.

Germany has decided to honour the Costa Rican extradition warrant so while free from jail he will not be permitted to leave the country.

Personally, I don't see any chance of Paul Watson willingly cooperating with extradition. Sea Sheppard have no lack of highly motivated devotees willing to go to great lengths for the cause and very deep pockets. I don't think he would have much difficulty getting out of the country unmolested.

A veteran anti-whaling activist arrested in Germany on a decade-old charge will be released from jail on bail next week.

Paul Watson, president of the radical Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, had gained notoriety for his direct action tactics against the Japanese whaling industry. However, his current legal difficulties relate to a confrontation with illegal shark fin poachers in Central America back in 2002.

He has been told he must remain in the country pending a decision on whether or not to extradite him to Costa Rica.

Frankfurt's higher regional court announced on Friday that it had put him under preliminary arrest after deciding that an extradition would be permissible under German law. The authorities in Costa Rica now have three months to send the necessary extradition papers to Germany. However, the court said it was ultimately up to the federal justice ministry to decide whether or not to send him to Costa Rica.

Sea Shepherd's spokesman, Peter Hammarstedt, told the Guardian that Watson would spend the weekend in jail and be released once the €250,000 bail funds were available on Monday.Veteran anti-whaling activist Paul Watson to be released on bail

I have a question for any Sea Sheppard proponents who may be reading. Paul Watson is being released on €250,000 bail. 9 months ago the Steve Erwin was seized by the British Government and paid a £520,000 bond to secure her(?) release.

Is paying 3/4 of a million pounds in bail bonds really the most productive investment of the donations? It seems to me that if the everyone is being truthful about saving whales above all other concerns, couldn't that £770,000 be used to a much greater effect than paying bail bondsmen?

Paul Watson is like the L.Ron Hubbard of the sea, he is nothing but a cult of personality third stringer trading a make believe ideology for other peoples hard earned money. How some of you so blithely buy into his scam is creepy, I would be infuriated if my donations earmarked for nature conservation were instead used to bail the CEO out of jail.

On July 15, 2011 the ship was held by the British Government due to a pending lawsuit by a Maltese fishing company.[42] The ship was released on August 2, 2011 after a bond of £520,000 was posted

edit on 18-5-2012 by Drunkenparrot because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
It's interesting how Mr. Watson has latched on to Whales the way he has. It's clear he is a very caring and compassionate person, and those who can't understand these kind of emotions will ridicule him.

He's essentially a modern day radical fightning for the survival of a non dominant species on this planet.

posted on May, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

He is going about it in all the wrong ways though. If you are a green energy advocate, that don't give you the right to go to the nearest coal plant and sabotage it. That don't give you a right to go put sugar in the gas tanks of people that work there. You can't go around doing crazy illegal stuff to people doing things against your ideology, or go around damaging other people's property. I like whales, I have "adopted" a few in my lifetime. I do what I can. I also happen to like seals and wolves. I will not however, be taking a trip up north, to go wage a war on the natives that kill them. I see ramming ships as an act of war on the ship you are ramming. I think the guy and his crew are lucky that they have not been harpooned or netted yet.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join