Paul Watson Of The Sea Shephard Has Been Arrested In Germany

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Paul Watson Of The Sea Shpephard Has Been Arrested In Germany

news.nationalpost.com

FRANKFURT, Germany — The Canadian founder of an environmental activist group known for its confrontations with whalers and fishermen has been arrested in Germany for extradition to Costa Rica, where he is wanted for allegedly endangering a fishing boat in 2002, German prosecutors said Monday.

Paul Watson of Sea Shepherd Conservation Society was arrested Sunday at Frankfurt Airport on an international arrest warrant issued by Costa Rica, a spokesman for the local prosecutors’ office said.

“He is alleged to have used a ship to intimidate another vessel and put its crew at risk in 200
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 15-5-2012 by EvilSadamClone because: fixed spelling error

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I'm against illegal whaling, such as when the Japanese hunt whales in whale sanctuaries, but after watching one season of Whale Wars, I really can't stand this guy and his team. First of all, they're vigilantes, and they need to be held accountable for their actions. Secondly, any other illegal activities needs to be handled by the appropriate legal powers.

What I don't support is them intentionally threatening the lives of other crews in order to protect the whales. They would often damage the other vessels any way they could and often endanger their own lives by placing their smaller boats in front of the larger vessels.

The only point I agree with them on is stopping illegal whaling in whale sanctuaries, with which the Japanese violate by claiming they are doing scientific research.

I don't consider this man and his crew heroes.

news.nationalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
They violate the essence and letter of Maritime Law with impunity and expect those with whom they disagree to just give in! I am all for this idiot, who constantly puts his crew in peril without care for anything but his ego, to be put in jail for a very long time.

Zindo

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I personally respect what the this group is doing. Respect doesn't equate to agreement with the tactics, but it's their own live's their risking and that is something to say about the level of commitment they feel. I don't see them playing chicken with vessels their own size. It always seem to be MUCH larger ones, so they really do appear to be the only ones in mortal danger.

Having said that, they also have to accept the consequences. Their form of protest and intervention is only something to respect if the sacrifice they make is one made willingly...and that goes with warrants from what they do. Such is life in the activist world I suppose.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I totally agree with there stance against the Japanese issue but this new season (I havent watched any of them) my Significant other says there basically attacking a Village who actually needs to eat Whales to survive. There so damn dramatic now to in the Commercials. From what I understand they also eat pretty much the whole whale and teach the kids how to do it with respect as well.

I think there funny now actually. Almost like the Kardashians but even dumber.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Double Post
edit on 15-5-2012 by hoochymama because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I was just sitting here reading everyone's posts reflecting on how the public attitude toward Whaling has changed in only a few years.

Has the anti-whaling movement cut their own throat via the TV show?

I think so.

The average person has seen first-hand, the deceitful tactics employed by 'green extremists' and is unsettled to learn that they are willing to impose their will at any cost. Regardless of safety.

As to Paul Watson.....I think he would last about thirty seconds in a German prison.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
To be fair to the guy, it is only the people who were running the illegal shark finning operation in Guatemalan waters who claim he endangered their life. Beyond that, there does not appear to be much evidence as of yet presented to uphold that claim.

Typically, the Sea Sheppard and their other vessels dont do anything that will endanger another ship's crew. They *might* damage a ship in a way that disables it, but not in a way that would sink the ship in open water or cause any real harm to the crew. In fact, their actions are usually rather careful to ensure only minimal property damage with the explicit reasoning for disabling an illegal operation. But they are often threatened with physical harm themselves by the ships they encounter. The crew are always given the choice to participate in actions before they happen.

These guys were caught doing something illegal (the shark-finning boat), so their claims need to be taken with a grain of salt.

It took place in Guatemalan waters, when the U.S.-based group said it encountered an illegal shark finning operation run by a Costa Rican ship, the Varadero. Sea Shepherd said in a statement Sunday that it told the Varadero’s crew to stop and head to port to be prosecuted. The crew accused Sea Shepherd of trying to kill them
edit on 15-5-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Good I hate that jackass. He endangers peoples lives and is a fame whore. Im all for making whaling illegal, but seriously hate Watson.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Can you cite some examples where he has endangered other people's lives?

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
You wouldn't like me, then. I can remember seeing one video of Greenpeace confronting sealers in the Antarctic, and thinking at the time that if I had been on that boat, I would have shot every last individual on the sealing vessel.

I also personally have no moral objection to the concept of literal, open military activity against Monsanto in particular, to be honest. In many cases, the corporate world represents a direct threat to the survival of carbon based life on this planet; and I believe that when such is the case, they should be responded to accordingly.

Pacifism is the Left's single greatest weakness, in many instances. Unlike the Black Bloc, I also don't advocate violence for the sake of "propaganda of the deed," but for the sake of simply and unceremoniously destroying the corporations in question; and more importantly, to also demonstrate to them, that there is a limit to which their money and abuse of the legal system can protect them. I believe that ultimately, there is only one response that psychopaths truly understand; and that is to be made to feel, themselves, exactly the same degree of fear and agony that they so willingly inflict upon others.

There are times when Gandhi's approach doesn't work.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

They *might* damage a ship in a way that disables it, but not in a way that woud sink the ship in open water or cause any real harm to the crew.

A ship in a disabled state is a death sentence at sea.

If a car breaks down, you can pull to the side of the road and seek assistance. At sea, you have no such luxury.

Add a decent swell and the vessel is instantly in immediate danger of broach and subsequent capsizing.

As someone who has considerable experience working in the maritime industry, I can honestly say that there is no way in hell that you would get me onto any vessel that was under the command of Paul Watson.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

I don't agree with everything Watson does, but I admire him for putting his arse on the line for his principles in a world going rogue. Nice to see somebody get out from behind his keyboard and actually walking the walk.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by OccamAssassin
reply to post by stanguilles7

They *might* damage a ship in a way that disables it, but not in a way that woud sink the ship in open water or cause any real harm to the crew.

A ship in a disabled state is a death sentence at sea.

If a car breaks down, you can pull to the side of the road and seek assistance. At sea, you have no such luxury.

Add a decent swell and the vessel is instantly in immediate danger of broach and subsequent capsizing.

As someone who has considerable experience working in the maritime industry, I can honestly say that there is no way in hell that you would get me onto any vessel that was under the command of Paul Watson.

So is cutting a fin off a shark.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It didn't take me watching many episodes for me to realize that Watson is a slippery character, and a deceitful man, the episode where he claims to have been shot by the Japanese whalers, escaping uninjured as he was wearing body armor at the time, stands out in my mind, to me that was a complete sham. This guy does not do the anti-whaling movement any favors in my opinion.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
People sit behind their keyboards an decry the injustices of the world but then bash a group of people actually doing something about it. For Real?

My fellow ATS'ers I am ashamed of you right now. I am going to log off, go outside and hang a sign from the local 6 lane freeway overpass that says "ATS.com are hypo twits!".

Or maybe --Gullibulls, nincowpoops or ultra maroons.

Edit: Sorry, I'm seething right now.
edit on 15-5-2012 by intrptr because: apology...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by Domo1

Can you cite some examples where he has endangered other people's lives?

Dude, go on a boat, screw around, see how friggin easy it is to get yourself killed. I'm from a fishing community, my very first job was on a trawler, believe me at sea you take nothing fore-granted.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr
People sit behind their keyboards an decry the injustices of the world but then bash a group of people actually doing something about it. For Real?

My fellow ATS'ers I am ashamed of you right now. I am going to log off, go outside and hang a sign from the local 6 lane freeway overpass that says "ATS.com are hypo twits!".

Or maybe --Gullibulls, nincowpoops or ultra maroons.

Edit: Sorry, I'm seething right now.
edit on 15-5-2012 by intrptr because: apology...

ATS seems to have a lot of people who turn a blind eye to a persons lack of integrity too.

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Also, a very good interview (in part) with Paul Watson:

Kendall: You say that Sea Shepherd “adheres to the utilization of nonviolent principles in the course of all actions.” What’s your definition of violence?

Watson: My definition is the same as Martin Luther King Jr.’s, Mahatma Gandhi’s, and Nelson Mandela’s. King said you cannot commit an act of violence against a nonsentient object, only against a living being. We have never injured a single person in our entire history, and we are proud of that record. I spent six months in Africa in 1978, tracking elephant poachers with park rangers. The rangers were killing the poachers, but I would not do that. I did destroy their vehicles and their weapons.

If you damage property in order to prevent the death of a sentient being — that is, if you damage a harpoon or a gun or a rifle — it’s an act of nonviolence. There is a difference between nonviolence and pacifism. Mahatma Gandhi once said, when somebody called him a pacifist, “I’ve never advocated passive anything.” Pacifism is the act of doing nothing. Nonviolence is a tactic. Clearly it worked against the British, but many have wondered if it would have been as effective against the likes of Hitler or Stalin. You have to choose your strategies according to your enemies.

www.thesunmagazine.org...

posted on May, 15 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

This guy does not do the anti-whaling movement any favors in my opinion.

That guy is the anti whaling movement. What balls. Took on an entire fleet of people who give little regard to environmental protect for 10,000 children's whale meat lunch boxes. Of course he embellishes to "get views". So what? Antarctica is a long ways away. I didn't see anyone else down there blocking the slip way of the factory ship.

new topics
top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join